Tesla FSD status: still utter crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla FSD is actually getting quite good - have a look at this recent video of their latest beta.
. Let's hope DreamDrivePro can catch up quickly, but I am not holding my breath. To be quite honest, even with the latest Lucid 2.1.10 software, my 2023 Kia Sportage self-driving is quite a bit better than my 2023 Air Grand Touring as far as lane keeping on twisty roads, overall smoothness, and MUCH less naggy (touch the steering wheel, etc.).
Yeah, I’ve seen a thousand videos. And then I drove with it in my own car. Never quite lives up to the hype.

Though, I will say in very recent months it has gotten noticeably better when I ride with my friend in his Y. Credit where credit is due. But when I say noticeably better, I mean it can drive for five minutes without actually actively trying to kill us.

Agreed joec, Level 3 self-driving is not easy, and most people believe it will still be a long time before zero driver intervention is even possible. But clearly Tesla is quite far ahead of most others. I believe the Lucid is a better overall car with regards to looks, power, range, interior quality, etc. However, I do like the amount of info the Tesla screen is displaying with regards to objects around the vehicle including pedestrians/bikes/dogs/etc., not to mention vehicles and buildings. Hoping Lucid will have something similar over time as this is very useful and increases overall safety in my opinion.

So I finally got another update for FSD on my Model 3 today. It's been about 2 months since the last one. My friends who follow such things on reddit swear this is a BIG one. (They say that about every update, by the way.) Took it for a little spin over to the local hardware store to check out what's changed. Lucky I made it home in one piece.

First, the good:

- The car no longer breaks in the middle of turns at intersections, like a frightened first-time driver.
- Someone at Tesla finally figured out when you change lanes, you should accelerate, not decelerate.
- The little car cartoons are more detailed

Then the bad:

- Had to disengage getting onto an on overpass ramp, because it refused to continue, although there were no cars in the merging lane
- Cyclist in a marked bike lane. First, the car just kept breaking, as if the bike were darting out in front of me, even though he wasn't. Then the car turned INTO the biking lane, in an apparent move to hit the cyclist. Had to disengage again.
- Right turn at a basic intersection. Luckily, no other cars around, because the car completed the turn perfectly, then immediately gunned it, swerved into the middle lane for no reason, then hit the brakes hard. Actually laughed out loud at that one.

Keep in mind, this trip is about 1.2 miles. Maybe a total of 5 turns involved.

Over the course of the past several months, there have been four major updates to FSD. Not a single one of them has made the actual city driving any better for me. It would be comical if it weren't so dangerous.

Seriously, it should be illegal to engage FSD on the streets of Boulder.

So I guess, all of you who are worried Lucid will lag behind on the self-driving front: you have nothing to worry about. Tesla won't be approaching good for quite a while. And it's likely going to get people killed in the meantime. So be thankful you can't even play with it.

Highway driving is sometimes okay (if they would just fix the darn phantom braking). But we are not going to see Teslas without steering wheels for a very, very long time. As a shareholder, I'm glad Lucid is not focusing on this very much. If they can get highway lane assist done in the next year, they'll be good to go for at least another 5 years.
I have to disagree on this. My FSD is working well, not as well as advertised but decent. Maybe in a few more years , huh???? The autopilot is fantastic.

Yeah, I’ve seen a thousand videos. And then I drove with it in my own car. Never quite lives up to the hype.

Though, I will say in very recent months it has gotten noticeably better when I ride with my friend in his Y. Credit where credit is due. But when I say noticeably better, I mean it can drive for five minutes without actually actively trying to kill us.
Does your friend's Y have HW4?

Agreed joec, Level 3 self-driving is not easy, and most people believe it will still be a long time before zero driver intervention is even possible. But clearly Tesla is quite far ahead of most others. I believe the Lucid is a better overall car with regards to looks, power, range, interior quality, etc. However, I do like the amount of info the Tesla screen is displaying with regards to objects around the vehicle including pedestrians/bikes/dogs/etc., not to mention vehicles and buildings. Hoping Lucid will have something similar over time as this is very useful and increases overall safety in my opinion.
Depends on how you define ahead. I've spent the last few weeks in SF, where there are tons of these driverless cars circling around the city. Literally no one in the car at all. And they are slowing down for speed bumps, waiting for pedestrians, and on and on. I know, that's geofenced, etc. But it's far more impressive than anything I've seen from Tesla.

Also, I still think Tesla is going to hit a wall with their "vision only" approach. So, maybe better at certain things now. Sure. But easily eclipsed due to stubbornness on the part of a CEO who doesn't want to listen to his own experts.

All I can do is speak from my own experience, and honestly phantom braking alone made FSD utterly useless for me. I simply didn't trust it on any highway. Because every time I used it, it slammed my brakes for no reason multiple times. Tesla refuses to even acknowledge that this even happens, so their chances of fixing it seem slim at best.

I would never give up FSD at this point. It’s incredible and a life improvement in the best way. Respectfully, I think people who have a problem with it don’t know how to properly use it.

I would never give up FSD at this point. It’s incredible and a life improvement in the best way. Respectfully, I think people who have a problem with it don’t know how to properly use it.
Does that apply to phantom braking as well?

Rarely when using the Nav to take me to a destination, I can see in the FSD visualization where (for example) the FSD wants to make a random turn on a side street for a split second but then catches itself and continues straight, but during that brief moment of indecision the car begins to decelerate.

In a straight line, no turns in sight, my car has never randomly braked for no reason.
As others have said, we each can only speak from our own experience. I don’t ever have phantom braking, so I can’t relate to that at all. People talk about it, but I have yet to experience it. I’ve put about 7K miles on FSD this year.

My wife has a ‘22 Y with FSD, she also doesn’t have phantom braking.

The convenience of the auto lane switch, the way it tackles the expressway on and off ramps and takes the correct exits in unfamiliar areas… and of course the mental burden lifted of commuting to and from work. Of course I’m still paying attention but it really helps to decompress when the car is driving itself. I swear it’s like I’m living in the future.

Spoken like a tesla fanboy!

Rarely when using the Nav to take me to a destination, I can see in the FSD visualization where (for example) the FSD wants to make a random turn on a side street for a split second but then catches itself and continues straight, but during that brief moment of indecision the car begins to decelerate.

In a straight line, no turns in sight, my car has never randomly braked for no reason.
As others have said, we each can only speak from our own experience. I don’t ever have phantom braking, so I can’t relate to that at all. People talk about it, but I have yet to experience it. I’ve put about 7K miles on FSD this year.

My wife has a ‘22 Y with FSD, she also doesn’t have phantom braking.

The convenience of the auto lane switch, the way it tackles the expressway on and off ramps and takes the correct exits in unfamiliar areas… and of course the mental burden lifted of commuting to and from work. Of course I’m still paying attention but it really helps to decompress when the car is driving itself. I swear it’s like I’m living in the future.
On this website, we talk about Lucid. If you're here to tell us about your Tesla, you're in the wrong forum.

I was using highway assist in the Lucid yesterday and an extremely crazy road rage driver who was fighting another car cut across 3 lanes of traffic in front of me. The Lucid recognized it and slowed down elegantly rather than abruptly, giving time for the car behind me who was following too close to also react. My prior Mercedes would slow down way too fast if someone cut in front of me, always aggressively trying to maintain exactly the perfect mathematical car length ahead. How German. Meanwhile the rental Tesla 3 I had phantom braked for a bicycle that was on the sidewalk and not on the street. It also thought the moon was a green light when I was stopped and alerted me to go... AT A RED LIGHT! I'll take Lucid's more conservative tech with fewer peacocking features every day of the week. I don't need the car to drive for me, I need it to assist me as nobody is a perfect driver. The Lucid doesn't get it right all of the time of course, and yeah, the "hands on the wheel" alert is problematic as my hands are always on the wheel, but I've got enough confidence in the system to allow it to allow me to be more relaxed on the highway but ready to intervene.

Phantom braking is not as scary as phantom acceleration where Tesla didn’t blame on FSD but accelerator malfunction.

I didn’t appreciate as much Drowsy Driver Alert, watching this, I appreciate more of Lucid ADAS of driver attentiveness alert and front and rear cross traffic warning braking on radar. Tesla doesn’t have those, but only on vision.

This thread has run its course. Potential buyers should test drive any all vehicles in this segment before deciding. It is well established that the Tesla system has more features than the current Lucid system. Some feel that this is good, others feel that it is a safety concern. Do your own research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back