Tesla Charging Cable

JoeL

I have been charging my Lucid with a Tesla charging cable on a J 1772 adapter. This works fine but I wonder if anyone knows if the Lucid cable might provide a faster or slower charge than the Tesla cable. I've been assuming that the car and cable will "communicate" for the most efficient charge so there is no difference.

I have been charging my Lucid with a Tesla charging cable on a J 1772 adapter. This works fine but I wonder if anyone knows if the Lucid cable might provide a faster or slower charge than the Tesla cable. I've been assuming that the car and cable will "communicate" for the most efficient charge so there is no difference.
Charge speed is completely dependent on your breaker and then the EVSE you have hooked up to that circuit.

What is your circuit breaker size? What is your charging speed?

No difference in charge current and at least for the wall chargers the Tesla cable is both more robust and more flexible.

Your Lucid can charge at up to 19.6kW at home with the right wall adapter, wiring, and circuit breaker. Modern Tesla cars are limited to 11.5kW.

I'm plugging the cable directly into a 220/240 volt, 60 Amp outlet. I thought that there might be a difference in how the two wall chargers convert AC to DC that can affect charging time. It seems that there is no difference except that Tesla cable is more robust and flexible, which I agree. Thanks All.

I'm plugging the cable directly into a 220/240 volt, 60 Amp outlet. I thought that there might be a difference in how the two wall chargers convert AC to DC that can affect charging time. It seems that there is no difference except that Tesla cable is more robust and flexible, which I agree. Thanks All.
That would be a 50-amp outlet. There aren't any 60 amp outlets for home use.
Surprisingly the wall chargers don't convert AC to DC - every EV has charging hardware built in that does that. Lucid's can handle up to 19.6kW, most other cars 6.6 to 11kW. The wall charger is essentially a big GFCI circuit breaker that also supplies a signal to the car to tell it how much current is safe to draw.

Can you please share a link to the adapter? I am expecting my GT later this week and want to make sure I can charge it using my existing Tesla wall charger.

Can you please share a link to the adapter? I am expecting my GT later this week and want to make sure I can charge it using my existing Tesla wall charger.

I have an 80A TeslaTap Mini which has served me well. There are many other options - including some "no-name" brands on Amazon that I'd steer clear of.

I just ordered a Lectron adapter. I will only be using it to charge at home with my Tesla home charger. From the little that I've read about it Lectron seems to be a safe choice.

Some of those adapters require you to plug the Tesla cable into the adapter, wait 30 seconds, then plug the assembly into your car. With a regular J1772 charger, charging your car takes 3 seconds instead of 40, just plug it in.

Your car will not charge any faster with a Lucid charger. Yes the Lucid charger is capable of 19kw but requires a 100 amp circuit. You only charge at 80% of the maximum rating for the circuit, so 100 amps * 80% = 80 amps * 240 volts = 19.2kw. On your 60 amp circuit, maximum charging is 60*.8*240=11.5kw and that is the output of most Tesla wall chargers. If you wanted to charge your car faster, you would have to upgrade the circuit (wire and breaker) to 80 or 100 amps and purchase a charger that can handle the higher charging current, such as the Lucent home charger.

No difference in charge current and at least for the wall chargers the Tesla cable is both more robust and more flexible.

Not necessarily. I have a Tesla wall connector capable of 80A, and the cable is robust, but not very flexible. It adds a little nuance to the CCS vs NACS because my wife kept getting the red ring on the Tesla when the cable wasn't seated properly, due to the thicker cable coupled with a thinner plug making it harder when the cable is pulling a big from the side. I still like the NACS plug better and I doubt that many people have the high amperage Tesla wall connector since it won't have any benefit for Teslas from about late 2016 if I recall correctly. In the future, Tesla Superchargers will also have more manageable cables that are long enough for a Lucid, but they aren't making any progress with V4 Superchargers and the few that got deployed in the US aren't operating at 1000V yet.

Not necessarily. I have a Tesla wall connector capable of 80A, and the cable is robust, but not very flexible. It adds a little nuance to the CCS vs NACS because my wife kept getting the red ring on the Tesla when the cable wasn't seated properly, due to the thicker cable coupled with a thinner plug making it harder when the cable is pulling a big from the side. I still like the NACS plug better and I doubt that many people have the high amperage Tesla wall connector since it won't have any benefit for Teslas from about late 2016 if I recall correctly. In the future, Tesla Superchargers will also have more manageable cables that are long enough for a Lucid, but they aren't making any progress with V4 Superchargers and the few that got deployed in the US aren't operating at 1000V yet.
It's also worth noting that the V4 stalls also use the same size cables that EA uses and not the thinner ones people are used to from V3 superchargers and below.

It's also worth noting that the V4 stalls also use the same size cables that EA uses and not the thinner ones people are used to from V3 superchargers and below.

V2 and below had thicker cables. V3 has liquid cooled cables, which V4 are supposed to have. I've never seen a V4 station, so time will tell. But aside from thicker cables being harder to use, it also comes down to how much length and how much slack there is. If you need to stretch to reach, then thick cables are very hard to deal with. If the cables are long enough, it will be less of an issue but I don't know how much less. I would expect the cables to be thinner than V1/V2 cables were/are.

V2 and below had thicker cables. V3 has liquid cooled cables, which V4 are supposed to have. I've never seen a V4 station, so time will tell. But aside from thicker cables being harder to use, it also comes down to how much length and how much slack there is. If you need to stretch to reach, then thick cables are very hard to deal with. If the cables are long enough, it will be less of an issue but I don't know how much less. I would expect the cables to be thinner than V1/V2 cables were/are.
Someone somewhere said the V4 cables are 9 feet, and the V3 are 6 feet.

Someone somewhere said the V4 cables are 9 feet, and the V3 are 6 feet.
That doesn't sound like a solution. If you back a Lucid into a space designed for a Tesla to be backed into, you'd need about an extra 9 feet of cable beyond what's currently there. If you pull in forward, the cable will be on the wrong side. It would fit fine if you use the cable that's supposed to be for the space to your left. It will leave some spaces with no cables. I hope that Tesla does something better. If Tesla centers the charger within the space, then the extra three feet would mean swinging it to either side and having enough length left for a port not far from the bumper, but it still would need to be about 13-15 feet.

See this thread:

See this thread:

There are some advantages to the Tesla one, and its more flexible if you have cars with both types of ports. But in the future, the Lucid one will probably be needed for V2H/V2G things.

New Air Touring owner here...

I have the older Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector on a dedicated 100A circuit and proper 4-gauge copper wire, so I'm good for up to 80A delivery to the Lucid. (These older Tesla chargers have an internal dial setting to choose max amperage delivery up to 80A, assuming your have proper circuit and wire to do so. Apparently Tesla's newer chargers max at at 48A or 64A but the older ones could do more.)

I bought the newer 80A version of the TeslaTap which arrived yesterday. Verified with the owner of TeslaTap (Dave) that the car, charger, and his newest 80A TeslaTap could handle it all, and he assured me this was OK and helped me verify my dip switch settings in the Tesla charger.

Tried it out today for the first time, and sure enough was quickly pulling 82 miles of range per hour into the Air. That's as fast, maybe a smidge faster, than the Lucid Charger on a 100A circuit.

Super happy with this setup... wife's Tesla Model 3 limits itself to 48A but is fine on that 80A charger setting, but my Lucid screams at about twice the charging rate on same charger.

Back