Tesla Charging Cable

New Air Touring owner here...

I have the older Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector on a dedicated 100A circuit and proper 4-gauge copper wire, so I'm good for up to 80A delivery to the Lucid. (These older Tesla chargers have an internal dial setting to choose max amperage delivery up to 80A, assuming your have proper circuit and wire to do so. Apparently Tesla's newer chargers max at at 48A or 64A but the older ones could do more.)

I bought the newer 80A version of the TeslaTap which arrived yesterday. Verified with the owner of TeslaTap (Dave) that the car, charger, and his newest 80A TeslaTap could handle it all, and he assured me this was OK and helped me verify my dip switch settings in the Tesla charger.

Tried it out today for the first time, and sure enough was quickly pulling 82 miles of range per hour into the Air. That's as fast, maybe a smidge faster, than the Lucid Charger on a 100A circuit.

Super happy with this setup... wife's Tesla Model 3 limits itself to 48A but is fine on that 80A charger setting, but my Lucid screams at about twice the charging rate on same charger.

I have one of those too but on a 50A circuit. I already had the circuit for a 14-50 outlet and never saw a need to upgrade. Assuming that I'm not going to come home from a road trip with under 80 miles of remaining range, get eight hours of sleep and go on another road trip, I'd be at about 80% by the next morning anyway. My wife's Model 3 is now my daughter's and she's using a 120V 15A outlet for now. She's getting about 5 miles of range per hour, so an overnight charge will give he back a typical day's use. She works from home on most days and doesn't have TOU billing so even if she uses it more than average on some days, she'd likely catch up over time without a problem. When I got a Model S in 2014, I considered whether to add the second charger, which would have given me 58 miles of range per hour. But I never had a day when I wished I had had it. Now the Lucid comes close enough to that on a 50A circuit.

That doesn't sound like a solution. If you back a Lucid into a space designed for a Tesla to be backed into, you'd need about an extra 9 feet of cable beyond what's currently there. If you pull in forward, the cable will be on the wrong side. It would fit fine if you use the cable that's supposed to be for the space to your left. It will leave some spaces with no cables. I hope that Tesla does something better. If Tesla centers the charger within the space, then the extra three feet would mean swinging it to either side and having enough length left for a port not far from the bumper, but it still would need to be about 13-15 feet.

Tesla newer built V3 stations have either 1 stall parked on the side that is flexible to car attaching to a trailer or have stalls in between spaces. Tesla expect NACS adoption and have built new stations that way to accommodate various charge port locations of different brands.

F05F637A-63FC-42A3-9F7E-EDA0BFDD86F2.jpeg

Tesla newer built V3 stations have either 1 stall parked on the side that is flexible to car attaching to a trailer or have stalls in between spaces. Tesla expect NACS adoption and have built new stations that way to accommodate various charge port locations of different brands.

View attachment 16453
All of that's true in theory, but I haven't been to any like that, and it's the ones that people go to that count. For now, you won't get more than 50kW from a Tesla Supercharger, so let's hope they deploy V4 with longer cables and 1000V soon. But given that the current network in the US is zero of those, I'm not holding my breath.

I still haven't taken a road trip in the Lucid, but I did take one in a Model 3 last weekend, one way, to give the car to my daughter. Had I taken the Lucid, I wouldn't have been able to charge at the same locations, practically speaking, except that one of them also had EA chargers so the Tesla ones wouldn't have mattered. Had I taken the Lucid, it would have been a round trip, and had I stayed at a hotel with L2 charging, I wouldn't have needed a charging stop in either direction. I'll see what happens over time. If it takes a few years for Tesla to get up to speed with V4, I think I'll manage without them.

All of that's true in theory, but I haven't been to any like that, and it's the ones that people go to that count. For now, you won't get more than 50kW from a Tesla Supercharger, so let's hope they deploy V4 with longer cables and 1000V soon. But given that the current network in the US is zero of those, I'm not holding my breath.

I still haven't taken a road trip in the Lucid, but I did take one in a Model 3 last weekend, one way, to give the car to my daughter. Had I taken the Lucid, I wouldn't have been able to charge at the same locations, practically speaking, except that one of them also had EA chargers so the Tesla ones wouldn't have mattered. Had I taken the Lucid, it would have been a round trip, and had I stayed at a hotel with L2 charging, I wouldn't have needed a charging stop in either direction. I'll see what happens over time. If it takes a few years for Tesla to get up to speed with V4, I think I'll manage without them.

In about 2 years, we all will have convenience to just click on Tesla Supercharger option on navigation map to get there. Meanwhile, there are still new CCS network coming up —— Mercedes, Shells, 7Charge, CircleK, and 2-3 new ones from Europe. Rivian network will also be opening to everyone. The options will be abundant.

Many ICE drivers are just turned off from having to learn to download apps like ABRP, PlugShare to plan road-tripping. They are either procrastinate EV adoption for better infrastructure or just get a Tesla for convenience. That NACS was crucial for new adopters who don’t want to know all the details (like my wife who drives EV in the city, but only road trip alone to Dallas in confidence with ICE Jeep.)

Last edited:
In about 2 years, we all will have convenience to just click on Tesla Supercharger option on navigation map to get there. Meanwhile, there are still new CCS network coming up —— Mercedes, Shells, 7Charge, CircleK, and 2-3 new ones from Europe. Rivian network will also be opening to everyone. The options will be abundant.

Many ICE drivers are just turned off from having to learn to download apps like ABRP, PlugShare to plan road-tripping. They are either procrastinate EV adoption for better infrastructure or just get a Tesla for convenience. That NACS was crucial for new adopters who don’t want to know all the details (like my wife who drives EV in the city, but only road trip alone to Dallas in confidence with ICE Jeep.)
I'm also turned off by that. With the Tesla navigator, it was much easier to plan a route, and I had the tools to find places to stop along the way. If I could think of one improvement, it would have been to give me a way to bring up restaurants along the route that are at locations with Superchargers. But at least I could click on ones that were brought up, have a relatively easy way of finding out what was there, and decide whether or not to change charging locations.

With EA, the problem is twofold. There's no good tool that allows me to find stops on the route that are in locations that I'd want to stop anyway, and when I go through charging locations on routes that I've looked at, and try to figure out what's there by zooming in on a map, I've found that there's a vacuum. For people who like fast food, it's probably not a problem. But there's a big gap in variety of locations. Tesla hasn't been getting better, but I can look at routes I've taken or plan to take and find something workable. Once things are open and I can use any charger I want, be it from Tesla or any company that supports CCS with or without an adapter (assuming that there is one) then the only question will be how good the navigation software is and how well it meets my needs.

Tesla has come a long way with its navigation software and trip computer. It started off with something that still left me relying on a smartphone to figure out the best route to something sophisticated. Lucid is far behind, but makes a car that I'd rather be in on that trip. Now Lucid needs to go beyond allowing me to use Tesla locations and give me a way of planning stops based on what's at those stops, rather than the other way around.

I'm also turned off by that. With the Tesla navigator, it was much easier to plan a route, and I had the tools to find places to stop along the way. If I could think of one improvement, it would have been to give me a way to bring up restaurants along the route that are at locations with Superchargers. But at least I could click on ones that were brought up, have a relatively easy way of finding out what was there, and decide whether or not to change charging locations.

With EA, the problem is twofold. There's no good tool that allows me to find stops on the route that are in locations that I'd want to stop anyway, and when I go through charging locations on routes that I've looked at, and try to figure out what's there by zooming in on a map, I've found that there's a vacuum. For people who like fast food, it's probably not a problem. But there's a big gap in variety of locations. Tesla hasn't been getting better, but I can look at routes I've taken or plan to take and find something workable. Once things are open and I can use any charger I want, be it from Tesla or any company that supports CCS with or without an adapter (assuming that there is one) then the only question will be how good the navigation software is and how well it meets my needs.

Tesla has come a long way with its navigation software and trip computer. It started off with something that still left me relying on a smartphone to figure out the best route to something sophisticated. Lucid is far behind, but makes a car that I'd rather be in on that trip. Now Lucid needs to go beyond allowing me to use Tesla locations and give me a way of planning stops based on what's at those stops, rather than the other way around.

It will get there. There are developer APIs to let people know real time status how many are plugged in charging and how many are driving to station on navigation at the moment for driver to plan and set expection.

Back