• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

SW 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
@HC_79 I think you are another let cat out bag on restricted thread. 😂
😩

Ah damnit! Can’t edit either time is up. Might be best if one of the moderators delete the post to stop any vultures who are lurking in here.

there's a game that i used to play that would give basic development timelines like this:

1665362945115.png

personally, that gives enough information without feeling kept out of the dark. during their scheduled news releases, they'd go into the status of each phase, get feedback, announce delays, etc.

😩

Ah damnit! Can’t edit either time is up. Might be best if one of the moderators delete the post to stop any vultures who are lurking in here.
What post is that?

True, my question was from the viewpoint of how another company successfully conveys the message across versus what individuals would like conveyed to them.

I do understand there is a need for taking real world user feedback is important. BUT without company providing earlier notice, beta testers sharing and giving insights out of the blue gives a feeling to rest of us as if we are cheated. We also bought this expensive car early as well and do expect a direct communication from LUCID.

I would suggest what will be better for LUCID. These are my suggestions:
1. Any update that is in Beta and real users (tester group) getting it, the wider segment should be informed about the new major version through news release / Twitter etc.
2. The release can provide insight in to the features included in the beta testing.
3. The release can provide timeframe when rest of the users can expect but shouldn't provide a date.
4. This is when beta testers should start sharing experiences and insight in to the version.
5. After the duration is about to complete Lucid can either give a date of release or to keep the interest in and enjoy element of surprise can release the version.

I think, this will still keep the community (early adopters like us) happy.

Hope this approach can be evaluated and implemented in some form.

Excited to get the update, a car as special as this deserves a better UI (and no visors 😁 ).

Second comment has to do with messaging. Again, to reiterate, I’m not employee of Lucid, I don’t have an NDA, I’m not sponsored, I’m not muzzled… I could postulate why I with some of the others were chosen to get this update before others but that’s a moot point.

We were so excited to get it and the few of us who did, wanted to reach out to the broader Lucid community to let them know that help was on the way and the knight in shining armor was right around the bend! We begged our Lucid contacts to release the hounds and let the story out. If I could put myself in all of your shoes, I think that I would have liked to know that help was on the way even if it was going to be “Coming Soon” before that update got to me.

We are not privy to the back-and-forth that they had internally but needless to say there were pros and cons on both sides for the public story released before actually showing up as a download in your cars. From what I understand, those who okayed it are getting blowback from those who said no to the public release. We cannot put that genie back in the bottle but here’s the true question, so dig deep inside and give an honest answer, because Lucid is probably listening:

Next time (there probably will be a variation of the next time, let’s be honest): should Lucid keep a cap on this information until it’s released to the broader fleet or, like this time, let the cat out of the bag? For the techie amongst us, maybe somebody can create a poll that is better worded?
I'm of the opinion we still need beta testers try it out. But I've shared how this can be managed well.

Jack Thompson in Chicago was well known. They actually brought a Lear Jet to the dealership.
95th and Pulaski, my grandmother bought a 67 Cutlass Coupe from them; they sold her one with a 330 with a Rochester 4 bbl which was way too much power for grandma LOL

Many have asked Lucid to create a Beta testing team comprised of customers, not employees, so having this small team really fulfills a desire by its customers. I have no problem with Lucid choosing whoever they wanted on that team for whatever reason. Just glad to have actual customers doing some acceptance testing.

I would love information on upcoming changes/fixes/features whether it is released by Lucid or the Beta team. I don't want Lucid to wait until it is being released, let us know what's coming...not just with the teaser tweets. If it's the beta team, every new thread needs to start with the admonition to wait for the release as new members come on wanting the upgrades and some of us need reminding.
I agree, the frustrating part is this expensive vehicle with this bad UI and software, this large change should have been managed well. For me any beta tester is a buyer of the car as we all are. LUCID need to manage the expectations of early adopters like us who bought the car knowing that we all will be in it together.

I agree, the frustrating part is this expensive vehicle with this bad UI and software, this large change should have been managed well. For me any beta tester is a buyer of the car as we all are. LUCID need to manage the expectations of early adopters like us who bought the car knowing that we all will be in it together.
The definition of having a beta tester group is that not everyone gets it at once, so that the beta testers can work out the bugs.

I know a lot o folks will respond to this update this with "I can't believe they haven't done 'X' yet!" Where X is whatever their biggest pet peeve is. I get it. But I think it's actually a good thing that this update has so few new features.

I think it's a really good sign that someone on Lucid's software team had enough pull to fight off any prompting from other departments to constantly rethink the software while they were rewriting it. That clearly wasn't the case a year ago.

My understanding is that at least part of the reason the software stack was so unstable was that execs were changing their minds and moving the goal posts throughout the original development process. And that meant everything was built too fast, with far too many cooks in the kitchen, making far too many demands.

This time around, someone put their foot down and said "We designed a good car interface a year ago, and now we're going to build that." A better interface will come later.

That may not be a normal development process. But it was what was needed.

This eliminates tons of back and forth with the design team, tons of half-built features that get scrapped and stared over again, and on and on. Basically, they had a blueprint, and they were able to simply follow it. That's the only reason this is shipping a year later and not three years later.

Even new "features" like Highway Assist and the directions next to the speedo were likely meant for the original design (which is probably why it's been in the manual all along). So including them was a matter of building, not designing and building.

There will be plenty of time to address shortcomings in that original UI. I'm sure there are folks already working on those designs. But someone kept those people as far away from the developers doing the rewrite as possible, and I think it made all the difference.

Start with the foundation. Then addressing shortcomings becomes a thousand times easier. From here on out, they can go back to a "normal" release cycle.

Sounds obvious, but it's not exactly common for corporations to pivot this quickly. To take a culture where software was clearly assumed to be a given, and thus not given a proper seat at the table, and do a 180 to where the software team gets to have a much stronger voice? It's not unheard of, but it's not an everyday thing, believe me.

First with the factory shakeup, and now with software, Lucid is proving that it can quickly correct mistakes and adapt as needed.

I know, I know. You call a year quick? Yes. Yes I do. To rewrite an entire automobile interface? You bet your butt that's quick.

Sure, Rivian may have been better out of the gate, but have they been tested like this? We won't know until they reach their first real crisis.

Tesla has had crap paint and poor manufacturing standards for over a decade. Have they ever really addressed it? Or have they just coasted on being the only EV maker in town up until now?

I'm much more willing to bet on a team that was down in the 4th quarter and came back to win enough games to make it to the playoffs than a team that hasn't lost a game all season.
I wish LUCID officially sent this out to address the upcoming beta version instead of beta testers breaking the news on Twitter and this forum. Please provide some basics of OCM concept to marketing and software dev team or whoever controls the software release (in this case we are the org).... OCM Organization Change Management

The definition of having a beta tester group is that not everyone gets it at once, so that the beta testers can work out the bugs.
I agree as I've been in IT for about 25 years. I have written and agreed about beta testers need in all posts tonight. But communicate in advance with us, we'll be still excited and not complaining :)

Absolutely, like OTA 1.2.85 can overuse your command console and have issue with 12V communication. It’s better to let Beta guys have new issues than widespread FUD. I believe it is good risk management for Lucid.

That is bad practice and that doesn't mean Lucid should do the same. Lucid is premier brand as compared to Tesla and others and must stand out in various ways as a premier brand.

My first car, and still have it, 1968 Olds 4-4-2 convertible.
You should lend it out to the Audrain auto museum in Newport RI, they recently had a land barge convertible exhibit that was great and will do another one. They had Katherine Hepburn’s car, and also an Edsel convertible.

For those eagerly wishing for a beta program, be careful what you wish for. I think the existence of one is a fantastic idea and heartily support it - I also wouldn’t want to be in it. Having been in the Model X beta system (before successfully asking to be removed), having different bugs / functionality disappear / general instability including leading to the inability to occasionally have your car boot up is not an experience I wish to repeat.

It’s not going to happen, but I for one would prefer to get information from Lucid rather than curated comments from the fluffers. Who would take their valuable time to post thousands of times on a forum like this without a business purpose? Influencers? Lol jk haha.

“I appreciate if we recognize the better suggestions and value of them. I think it'll excite the growing users of the car and set an example of what's the right thing to do.”

haha jk lol

I think, this will still keep the community (early adopters like us) happy.
In my experience, nothing will keep early adopters happy.

Everything you do will thrill a portion of your audience and annoy everyone else. Unless you give away free puppies, or something. But even then, someone will say “Why puppies? Why not fish?”

Customers are not a monolith. They have differing expectations, and often conflicting desires. Trying to make them all happy is a sure way to anger most of them.

I’m still marveling at the idea Lucid has apparently finally fixed most of their biggest flaws in software, and people are still finding ways to complain about it. Talk about glasses being half empty.

“Yeah, they fixed a ton of things I complained about. But the way they told us about it was unacceptable.”

For those eagerly wishing for a beta program, be careful what you wish for. I think the existence of one is a fantastic idea and heartily support it - I also wouldn’t want to be in it. Having been in the Model X beta system (before successfully asking to be removed), having different bugs / functionality disappear / general instability including leading to the inability to occasionally have your car boot up is not an experience I wish to repeat.
Most non-professional beta testers just want early access to software. They have no actual interest in reporting bugs or dealing with the really rough versions.

Unless you have a giant pool of public beta testers, you’ll get drips and drabs of good feedback from a handful of people at best. Given how small Lucid’s fleet is as the moment, I think they are wise to hold off on a more formal outside testing group. They will likely have one eventually, but I don’t think it would do them much good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back