Surreal Sound

PoZulu

I have about 500 miles on a Grand Touring I picked up a week ago. Generally very happy with the car but the sound system is not right.
everything comes from the front speakers, volume is limited and bass is almost nonexistent.

I have seen other mentions of this on the forums. Is this something Lucid can fix, or do they claim this is how it should sound?

I live in San Jose, is anyone available to meet up so that I could compare sound systems?

Thanks,

Have you tried resetting the car? Lock car using key card, make sure phone/fob is far away, give it 15 minutes then access the car and check sound system. You've also checked your settings right?

I have not done a reset, I had read that the car did a reset whenever parked for longer than 15 minutes. I will try tonight using the card.

I did use the equalizer to adjust the bass withminimal change. My wife had a CLK500 and you could feel the air pushed out of the subwoofer vents. In mour sprinetr RV I can use the subwoofer, which is located behind the driver's seat, to get a massage. The bass in the surreal systems feels like I have a 1960's transistor radio in my pocket.

Yeah I bet your bass is cut out. You can try a reset which has fixed it for me the one or two times that’s occurred, or you’ll have to get Service to fix it.

I have not done a reset, I had read that the car did a reset whenever parked for longer than 15 minutes. I will try tonight using the card.

I did use the equalizer to adjust the bass withminimal change. My wife had a CLK500 and you could feel the air pushed out of the subwoofer vents. In mour sprinetr RV I can use the subwoofer, which is located behind the driver's seat, to get a massage. The bass in the surreal systems feels like I have a 1960's transistor radio in my pocket.
Yeah it definitely should NOT sound like that. Some critique the Lucid bass as being weak as they’re used to the over-hyped inaccurate car audio systems that jack the bass to make you think it’s a good, but what you’re describing is not what the car sounds like. While source quality can have some impact (Tidal HiFi is best, Spotify high quality is second best, Bluetooth is the worst), I’ve had what you’re describing happen to me one time and a deep reboot with the Valet card above the camera on the B pillar cured it. Since then I’ve never had another bass drop out.

Wow, I really need to use spell check.

I did a reset with the card last night. The system sounded much better until I tried to use any controls (skip or search) which caused the system to sound terrible again.
I sent an email to service, and they responded immediately. I will post a follow-up after they service the system.

What are you using as a source for your music? My car seemed to default to the bluetooth connection and was very poor. When playing Tidal the sound was infinitely better.
Not as good as the Benz and Volvo high end systems I am used to.. They just have so many more options for sound profiling. Some music I like to experience in live mode, and some surround (I rarely prefer the 3D experience). I like to hear the music more that be wowed by the effects which, while cool, often distract.
That said, the flat response on the lucid is quite accurate. Highly refined articulation which is the most I would wish for given the space allocated for and size of these speakers. Bly with the balance and move the center just behind the front seats to fix your "in the face" issue
To see what I mean try. album 40:42 by Vampire weekend. second song 20:21 Jan 5th version. To see what I mean stating about 7 minutes in.
https://tidal.com/browse/track/171547475

I am using Tidal. The music is crisp and clear just no oomph to it.
I played some of the same things on Tidal in my model Y this morning, there was more oomph but less crisp and clear.

What are you using as a source for your music? My car seemed to default to the bluetooth connection and was very poor. When playing Tidal the sound was infinitely better.
Not as good as the Benz and Volvo high end systems I am used to.. They just have so many more options for sound profiling. Some music I like to experience in live mode, and some surround (I rarely prefer the 3D experience). I like to hear the music more that be wowed by the effects which, while cool, often distract.
That said, the flat response on the lucid is quite accurate. Highly refined articulation which is the most I would wish for given the space allocated for and size of these speakers. Bly with the balance and move the center just behind the front seats to fix your "in the face" issue
To see what I mean try. album 40:42 by Vampire weekend. second song 20:21 Jan 5th version. To see what I mean stating about 7 minutes in.
https://tidal.com/browse/track/171547475
Yeah, I’d like to see more eq bands, but I don’t think it’s fair to refer to Atmos-encoded music as “effects.” It’s explicitly and intentionally mixed differently from stereo; I think of it as a “reimagining” of the mix.

As an amateur audio engineer, the flat response is exactly what I want in my car. But I do understand a lot of people want the “smiley” curve that the vast majority of cars ship with.

I still think it’s the best audio system I’ve ever heard in a car.

Does anyone here listen to streamed music on their home system? If so, how do you stream—hardwired to the router or WIFI, and what DAC do you use?

Speaking of the sound system, I am curious about the perceived lack of base, as I occasionally wonder if the base on some tracks is very weak . I haven’t had any experience with Dolby Atmos , until now. Some tracks sound fantastic but others do seem to lack base and some have a high pitch to them. I am using tidal exclusively.
Am I correct in understanding that in Dolby Atmos , the sound settings cannot be changed ? Is there a certain proportion of a track’s sound that is supposed to be contained in the front versus the back?
I am still experimenting with it and I generally like it, but in some instances ( especially when playing jazz) I feel it’s a bit high pitched.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Hip hop seems to really shine with the system. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Speaking of the sound system, I am curious about the perceived lack of base, as I occasionally wonder if the base on some tracks is very weak . I haven’t had any experience with Dolby Atmos , until now. Some tracks sound fantastic but others do seem to lack base and some have a high pitch to them. I am using tidal exclusively.
Am I correct in understanding that in Dolby Atmos , the sound settings cannot be changed ? Is there a certain proportion of a track’s sound that is supposed to be contained in the front versus the back?
I am still experimenting with it and I generally like it, but in some instances ( especially when playing jazz) I feel it’s a bit high pitched.🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ Hip hop seems to really shine with the system. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Try a +6, 0, -2

Also, Dolby tracks you can still change the EQ but you can't change the fader.

I'll give you my semi-informed answer, but I'm also gonna reach out to a friend who has worked for Dolby for decades and see if he can give an even more informed answer. But the basics are that while most music is mixed for 2 channel stereo, and some is mixed for 5.1, Atmos is at minimum a 7.1.4 format, meaning left, center, right, left surround, right surround, left rear surround, right rear surround, subwoofer, left and right front overhead speakers and left and right rear overhead speakers (Atmos supports more than that, so the 21 speakers in the Lucid may get extra audio depending on how the Dolby codec works with the Lucid DSP/Amps).

The audio engineer aka mixer decides which sound goes where when it's mixed or remixed for atmos. The Dolby Atmos mixing software also allows you to create beds and objects, where beds are evenly allocated to the appropriate speaker assignments in 3D space, and objects can be discreetly moved from one speaker to another. Prince's When Doves Cry Atmos mix is the perfect example of the synths being used as a forward biased bed, while the effects on the synths (reverb and flange) are split to the rear speakers as a rear biased bed, and the guitar in the beginning is an object that is discreetly flung from speaker to speaker all around the car/room. Meanwhile his background stacked vocals are split left and right while the primary vocal is dead center and I think even sometimes in the front overheads so it sounds like he is right in front of your face. This mix is locked into the Dolby codec and so you can't change position or balance (why would anyone want to haha), as it was already pre-defined and encoded. But yeah you can change the EQ in an admittedly limited way because EQ doesn't affect sonic position.

Another great example of how you can use Atmos is on @hydbob Lucid Atmos Test Tidal playlist, playing the Atmos track La Vie En Rose by Madeline Peyroux. For this song it wouldn't make sense to do flying around the room trickery like the Prince track, instead what they did is place each instrument in its own spatial location on stage with the vocals in the middle so if you close your eyes it sounds like you are right there listening to it live in person. It's funny because to me, I've never heard a more realistic natural sounding presentation of recorded audio, and it's taken almost 100 years of audio recording technology to get to the point where you can actually recreate sonic realism. I even heard an early demo of direct stream digital through top tier audiophile equipment at an Audio Engineer Society conference in NYC years ago, and I thought that sounded pretty realistic, but what I've heard on the Atmos system in the Lucid, well the Lucid beats it.

Atmos in cars creates an interesting dilemma though, as up until the Lucid, car audio was the wild west and utterly non-standardized, and tastes got defined by car audio manufacturers who would do all sorts of cool things that would hype different frequencies and make up for the deficiencies of what is really an absolutely shit listening environment, with glass and weird reflecting and absorbing surfaces and engine noise and road noise etc. I think up until I heard the Lucid I'd say Burmester was the best at car audio, with things sounding musical but pretty accurate. But now you have the Lucid which is quiet and carefully tuned and mostly non-modifiable because to play back any Dolby audio you can't modify it, and people say it sounds bad even though it's likely the most accurate representation of how it sounded in the studio. Sorry for the very long post, but I guess these are interesting times in which we live and sometimes require too many words...

Last edited:
I'll give you my semi-informed answer, but I'm also gonna reach out to a friend who has worked for Dolby for decades and see if he can give an even more informed answer. But the basics are that while most music is mixed for 2 channel stereo, and some is mixed for 5.1, Atmos is at minimum a 7.1.4 format, meaning left, center, right, left surround, right surround, left rear surround, right rear surround, subwoofer, left and right front overhead speakers and left and right rear overhead speakers (Atmos supports more than that, so the 21 speakers in the Lucid may get extra audio depending on how the Dolby codec works with the Lucid DSP/Amps).

The audio engineer aka mixer decides which sound goes where when it's mixed or remixed for atmos. The Dolby Atmos mixing software also allows you to create beds and objects, where beds are evenly allocated to the appropriate speaker assignments in 3D space, and objects can be discreetly moved from one speaker to another. Prince's When Doves Cry Atmos mix is the perfect example of the synths being used as a forward biased bed, while the effects on the synths (reverb and flange) are split to the rear speakers as a rear biased bed, and the guitar in the beginning is an object that is discreetly flung from speaker to speaker all around the car/room. Meanwhile his background stacked vocals are split left and right while the primary vocal is dead center and I think even sometimes in the front overheads so it sounds like he is right in front of your face. This mix is locked into the Dolby codec and so you can't change position or balance (why would anyone want to haha), as it was already pre-defined and encoded. But yeah you can change the EQ in an admittedly limited way because EQ doesn't affect sonic position.

Another great example of how you can use Atmos is on @hydbob Lucid Atmos Test Tidal playlist, playing the Atmos track La Vie En Rose by Madeline Peyroux. For this song it wouldn't make sense to do flying around the room trickery like the Prince track, instead what they did is place each instrument in its own spatial location on stage with the vocals in the middle so if you close your eyes it sounds like you are right there listening to it live in person. It's funny because to me, I've never heard a more realistic natural sounding presentation of recorded audio, and it's taken almost 100 years of audio recording technology to get to the point where you can actually recreate sonic realism. I even heard an early demo of direct stream digital through top tier audiophile equipment at an Audio Engineer Society conference in NYC years ago, and I thought that sounded pretty realistic, but what I've heard on the Atmos system in the Lucid, well the Lucid beats it.

Atmos in cars creates an interesting dilemma though, as up until the Lucid, car audio was the wild west and utterly non-standardized, and tastes got defined by car audio manufacturers who would do all sorts of cool things that would hype different frequencies and make up for the deficiencies of what is really an absolutely shit listening environment, with glass and weird reflecting and absorbing surfaces and engine noise and road noise etc. I think up until I heard the Lucid I'd say Burmester was the best at car audio, with things sounding musical but pretty accurate. But now you have the Lucid which is quiet and carefully tuned and mostly non-modifiable because to play back any Dolby audio you can't modify it, and people say it sounds bad even though it's likely the most accurate representation of how it sounded in the studio. Sorry for the very long post, but I guess these are interesting times in which we live and sometimes require too many words...
But the bass is shit because it's not vibrating my chest! This sound system sucks

Just turn on the “stretch” massage mode. It’ll vibrate the shit out of your chest
Maybe to augment the lack of bass Lucid can add a colonoscopy mode to the massage in an upcoming OTA. Lucid reps if you're reading this get to work!

Maybe to augment the lack of bass Lucid can add a colonoscopy mode to the massage in an upcoming OTA. Lucid reps if you're reading this get to work!
That is called "deep massage"...every owner knows what I'm talking about

Back