Subtle improvements lately

OCDC

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
V60 Polestar, AGT
I’ve noticed a few subtle improvements and bug fixes in the last round or two of OTA updates that I want to give the Lucid team credit and thanks for. I don’t remember seeing these mentioned in the release notes, so these are strictly my observations:

- The lane keeping and driver alertness settings are now staying put when set to OFF (they would randomly re-enable themselves when starting a new drive)

- Manually adjusted (non-AUTO) HVAC settings are also remaining in the last set state when starting a new drive (really appreciated as the weather gets warmer). One welcome exception is that the seat cooling is coming on automatically when starting a new drive and the cabin temperature is high.

- The drive train noise seems a little less… harsh (?) at low speeds. This one may be my imagination, and it never bothered me, but it’s like they sanded down the sharp edges of the noise coming from the motor when accelerating. This is a subtle effect if it’s a real change.

- The regen braking, as the car rolls to a stop, now feels like a less abrupt halt and more like a limousine stop where the driver eases off the brakes for the last foot or two. Again, it’s subtle, and it wasn’t remotely bad before, but it’s a nice new effect.

Has anyone else noticed these changes? Have you noticed something I didn’t mention?

I have been driving my Touring for about 3 weeks. The only quirk I had was not connecting with SiriusXM Beta until the OTA the other day. Once I had a weird glitch when Hold went away when I was at a red light. Otherwise this has been a simply phenomenal vehicle. It has exceeding my expectations in all respects.

I also felt that the regen braking mellowed out a bit when getting close to a stop. It came to my attention when pulling into my garage and had a momentary panic as the car rolled further than expected. Now I’ve recalibrated and think it results in a smoother drive.

I’ve noticed a few subtle improvements and bug fixes in the last round or two of OTA updates that I want to give the Lucid team credit and thanks for. I don’t remember seeing these mentioned in the release notes, so these are strictly my observations:

- The lane keeping and driver alertness settings are now staying put when set to OFF (they would randomly re-enable themselves when starting a new drive)

- Manually adjusted (non-AUTO) HVAC settings are also remaining in the last set state when starting a new drive (really appreciated as the weather gets warmer). One welcome exception is that the seat cooling is coming on automatically when starting a new drive and the cabin temperature is high.

- The drive train noise seems a little less… harsh (?) at low speeds. This one may be my imagination, and it never bothered me, but it’s like they sanded down the sharp edges of the noise coming from the motor when accelerating. This is a subtle effect if it’s a real change.

- The regen braking, as the car rolls to a stop, now feels like a less abrupt halt and more like a limousine stop where the driver eases off the brakes for the last foot or two. Again, it’s subtle, and it wasn’t remotely bad before, but it’s a nice new effect.

Has anyone else noticed these changes? Have you noticed something I didn’t mention?
I don’t think the motor whine sounds are being pumped into the cabin via speakers. These are actual sounds the motors make so they can’t really tone these down or change their quality with an update. I could be wrong, but regardless I’m glad they don’t seem as harsh to you. I’ve noticed no difference in my case. What I do notice, and would appreciate some input from others, is a bit more vibration when the throttle is at 0% but I’m also not in regen state; “needle at 12 o’clock position “ so to speak.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but on my drive to pick up my R1S on Fri in neighboring NJ, I was constantly badgered by driver alertness warnings. I have profile pics saved with and without sunglasses, and in the past, these alerts have been rare. But Fri, I was being told to watch the road every 2-3 minutes, despite doing just that. I finally had to turn the setting off to keep my sanity.

I don’t routinely use lane keep and didn’t think HA was a wise choice in Fri PM traffic.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but on my drive to pick up my R1S on Fri in neighboring NJ, I was constantly badgered by driver alertness warnings. I have profile pics saved with and without sunglasses, and in the past, these alerts have been rare. But Fri, I was being told to watch the road every 2-3 minutes, despite doing just that. I finally had to turn the setting off to keep my sanity.

I don’t routinely use lane keep and didn’t think HA was a wise choice in Fri PM traffic.
Were you driving into the sun? This is when I tend to get the driver alert warnings for no reason. I used to get them all the time but not very much lately.

Were you driving into the sun? This is when I tend to get the driver alert warnings for no reason. I used to get them all the time but not very much lately.
It was 11:30 headed mostly East. Certainly not directly into the sun.

Wait a minute, theres a rivian showroom in nj? Might have to go down there.

I don’t think the motor whine sounds are being pumped into the cabin via speakers. These are actual sounds the motors make so they can’t really tone these down or change their quality with an update. I could be wrong, but regardless I’m glad they don’t seem as harsh to you. I’ve noticed no difference in my case. What I do notice, and would appreciate some input from others, is a bit more vibration when the throttle is at 0% but I’m also not in regen state; “needle at 12 o’clock position “ so to speak.
Agreed, they're not making artificial noises (except outside the car for pedestrian safety). Electrically, there are some things that can be done to reduce motor noise, like slow down the edge speed of the switching transistors or increase the winding switching frequency. Those have efficiency impacts though, and I don't know what knobs they have available through firmware updates. Like I said, I may be imagining that change. I'll take it.

Agreed, they're not making artificial noises (except outside the car for pedestrian safety). Electrically, there are some things that can be done to reduce motor noise, like slow down the edge speed of the switching transistors or increase the coil switching frequency. Those have efficiency impacts though, and I don't know what knobs they have available through firmware updates. Like I said, I may be imagining that change. I'll take it.
They do seem to have a lot of change over software updates. I heard somebodys stuck door handle fixed itself with a reset.

They do seem to have a lot of change over software updates. I heard somebodys stuck door handle fixed itself with a reset.
Yeah, it's really cool how many systems and parameters they connected to the in-car network. It's very close to the holy grail of a software-defined vehicle.

I’m sure they will spend a lot of time with a 14-year-old trying to help you make your purchase decision.

No Rivian showroom in NJ, that I’m aware of. I bought my R1S at J&S Autohaus, in Ewing Township. They evidently bought it from a “flipper” in MI. They have several more, if you’re looking to test drive. I was a little concerned, seeing this tiny couple of buildings with a sea of cars in the surrounding parking lot, but they evidently deal in some higher end stuff. A very sexy Lambo and a nice Porsche graced their showroom.

No Rivian showroom in NJ, that I’m aware of. I bought my R1S at J&S Autohaus, in Ewing Township. They evidently bought it from a “flipper” in MI. They have several more, if you’re looking to test drive. I was a little concerned, seeing this tiny couple of buildings with a sea of cars in the surrounding parking lot, but they evidently deal in some higher end stuff. A very sexy Lambo and a nice Porsche graced their showroom.
I got my Air GT at J&S - seem like good people, with a great selection of EVs.

How long did it take them to send your title?

Highly reccomend them, they are a true luxury dealership.

I’m sure they will spend a lot of time with a 14-year-old trying to help you make your purchase decision.
Funny enough thats been my experience in the small amount i’ve visited so far. They treat me like im the car expert and my parents are just the sidemen.
(shoutout to the short hills staff at lucid)

Back