Still wavering on the fence

I am wavering still as well. I missed the mark for the lower priced Grand Touring so I am stuck at Touring. They promised Q3 production date, but we're now in "late second half of the year". IONIQ 5 Limited is very limited as well, but is actually being produced. I have reservations on both and quickly losing hope in Lucid. If an IONIQ 5 becomes available I will likely get that and cancel Lucid.

Hopefully they start confirming soon.
My backup is the Cadillac AWD Lyriq.

Yes, that has been tried several times, by both myself and by service. They know about it, but there are bigger fish to fry.
I’m with you. I had no end of issues with the mobile key until 2.0. Since then, completely flawless.

I’m with you. I had no end of issues with the mobile key until 2.0. Since then, completely flawless.
It looks like this mobile key issue is so completely random. Maybe it has something to do with your phone too? I have *only* been using the mobile key since I took delivery in early May. I only take the fob if I need to drop off the car at the service center or at the detailing place for a wash. There was one week where a Lucid app update on my iphone really screwed up the mobile key operation (and I wasn't the only one). I had to delete and add back the mobile key to make it work again.

Yea, I don't really even think about it any longer. I just use the fob and keep the card in my wallet and a spare battery in the car.

mobile key = redundant. same as key.

in our application we have three (all mobile) keys:

1. the phone with the Lucid application downloaded
2. the fob with the dead battery (will function like valet card even with dead battery, it is claimed)
3. the valet card + pass code

Mobile Key = this is not a key, this is the name of a function on the Lucid app.

Last edited:

2. the fob with the dead battery (will function like wallet card even with dead battery, it is claimed)
3. the wallet card + pass code

Mobile Key = this is not a key, this is the name of a function on the Lucid app.
The mobile key is a key just like the key fob is, it is separate from the Lucid app. Both the mobile key on you phone and your key fob use a publics and private key to securely communicate with the car. You do set up and create the mobile from within the app, but the mobile key is much different than the app. If you look a Bluetooth devices on you phone, you will see two. One for the typical phone to car Bluetooth connection and a second for the mobile key.

Mobile key is the terminology used by Lucid so it makes sense for us to use that same terminology here.

2. the fob with the dead battery (will function like wallet card even with dead battery, it is claimed)
3. the vallet card + pass code

Almost…

The Lucid App can be downloaded and not set up as a mobile key. If this is the case, the car will not unlock as you approach with just your phone. You can still use the app to unlock by manually pressing the button, but it will require your passcode to drive.

The Mobile Key is a separate process (albeit yes, within the app) that permanently pairs your phone (with app installed) to the car so it can be used as, literally, a mobile key (or a key on a mobile phone). It will unlock as you approach, not require a passcode, etc.

These words and terms are not chosen at random, but very intentionally, as the app is not, in and of itself, the mobile key. That is a separate setup process.

See here: https://manual.deneb.prod.infotainm...tml#GUID-40E21F21-43E8-44C7-A1AE-E8C2981C63AE

I don't understand the valet card. I give them (parking attendent, mechanic) the card and the pin.

why would I do that?

The mobile key is a key just like the key fob is, it is separate from the Lucid app. Both the mobile key on you phone and your key fob use a publics and private key to securely communicate with the car. You do set up and create the mobile from within the app, but the mobile key is much different than the app. If you look a Bluetooth devices on you phone, you will see two. One for the typical phone to car Bluetooth connection and a second for the mobile key.

Mobile key is the terminology used by Lucid so it makes sense for us to use that same terminology here.
OK. Now I have lost all the understanding I had but a moment before I read this.

I'm out.

OK. Now I have lost all the understanding I had but a moment before I read this.

I'm out.
At the risk of making things worse, lemme try explaining it more simply.

3 different things exist.

1. App on a Phone: that uses the "cloud" to talk to the car
2. Key fob: that works like most cars
3. Phone as a "Mobile Key": that uses bluetooth to control the vehicle like a fob

When you use the "Mobile Key" functionality, commands are being sent directly to the car, not via the cloud like they would with the App open.
It's possible the key fob is also bluetooth based and so Mobile Key just turns your phone into another fob for all intents and purposes

I'm out.
If you’re ever in the bay area, can I buy you a drink sometime? I really think it would be fun to explain everything over the course of an hour or so and make sure you have a solid understanding of all the mechanics.

I do agree that the ‘valet card’ is not very valet friendly nor intuitive, but again there have been voluminous material written about this subject in other threads. I do carry it in my wallet as an emergency car operator though.

Mobile Key a no-go for me and has been that way for months. It's not "hit-or-miss" either. It just does not work, period.
Agree. Same issue with mine. Been using Fob for a while without issues. Interested to try mobile key again with 2.0

If you’re ever in the bay area, can I buy you a drink sometime? I really think it would be fun to explain everything over the course of an hour or so and make sure you have a solid understanding of all the mechanics.
I will be in the Bay Area next April, and I hope by then I will have the Pure delivered. Does the same offer go for me?😁

I'm the OP- to close the loop on this thread, I have decided to go ahead and buy the AGT. It's in Millbrae waiting for me. Looking forward to the adventure.

I'm the OP- to close the loop on this thread, I have decided to go ahead and buy the AGT. It's in Millbrae waiting for me. Looking forward to the adventure.
Love mine. Enjoy!

OP, congrats on your decision. I’m sure you’ll be very happy with the GT. I, on the other hand, have also been wavering and think I’ll go with a Tesla X because it has air suspension (which I need here in the boonies), is easier to get in and out of, has more interior room for our road trips and a better charging infrastructure via the Supercharger network. Dang, but I sure do like the Lucid!

Back