Steering Wheel Creaking?

Joshua M

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
Video of a creaking noise that's developed. I have a service appointment for a few other things, so adding this to it, but has anyone else had this issue? 2023 Pure with about 4,500 miles is what I've got.

Attachments

• ScreenRecording_07-24-2024 20-20-22_1.mov
    7.7 MB
Video of a creaking noise that's developed. I have a service appointment for a few other things, so adding this to it, but has anyone else had this issue? 2023 Pure with about 4,500 miles is what I've got.
Steering wheel creaks were a very common problem in early cars. The frequency of problems has decreased with successive revisions of the wheel assembly.

I had the problem on my 2024. Service resolved it no problem

I had same issue with Pure 2023 with ~4k miles on it. Service took care of it by replacing it with a new one. Its been a week now . So far looks good.

Same on '22 GT. New one was completely silent initially, but has since started making a few noises here and there. Waiting to see if it's temperature related or if it's simply going to get worse over time. Right now I'm not really concerned, it's pretty infrequent.

UPDATE: Car is at the Houston Service Center and here's the update on what the technician said and concluded. Does this sound right?:

"Reviewed video and test drove vehicle. We found the noise is present when the vehicle is using the vehicle hold feature. This noise is considered normal and can be eliminated by applying additional brake pedal pressure when turning the steering wheel."

UPDATE: Car is at the Houston Service Center and here's the update on what the technician said and concluded. Does this sound right?:

"Reviewed video and test drove vehicle. We found the noise is present when the vehicle is using the vehicle hold feature. This noise is considered normal and can be eliminated by applying additional brake pedal pressure when turning the steering wheel."
That does not sound right. Mine had something similar, though not as bad, which was fixed by replacing part of the steering column. There's obviously tire noise if you have your door open and crank the wheel while stopped, but I don't hear much of anything in the cabin with the door closed.

From my understand there is no fix....replacing the steering wheel just solves it temporarily. It will eventually come back. If there is indeed a fix now, can anyone share the part number of the fix? There have been numerous threads, but i think they mostly went quiet because after 3 or 4 replacements, the sounds never permanently went away

From my understand there is no fix....replacing the steering wheel just solves it temporarily. It will eventually come back. If there is indeed a fix now, can anyone share the part number of the fix? There have been numerous threads, but i think they mostly went quiet because after 3 or 4 replacements, the sounds never permanently went away
Check the video, this is not the same as the plastic creak from the buttons on the steering wheel.

The creak mine makes is different still: without turning the wheel at all, just push moderately left and right on the wheel, laterally. Creaking comes from the plastic around the steering column. Happens most when enjoying twisty roads, spirited driving, lateral forces. The 2023 loaner I drove had it too. I'm assuming there's no known fix for this but would love to learn otherwise. Seattle shop couldn't find a fix for it.

The creak mine makes is different still: without turning the wheel at all, just push moderately left and right on the wheel, laterally. Creaking comes from the plastic around the steering column. Happens most when enjoying twisty roads, spirited driving, lateral forces. The 2023 loaner I drove had it too. I'm assuming there's no known fix for this but would love to learn otherwise. Seattle shop couldn't find a fix for it.
This is the more common one @momo3605 was referring to. That plastic trim for the buttons just rubs against the bits next to it. The usual fix is to replace the whole steering wheel. I had this done back in April and it hasn't come back for me. Others have had it done multiple times and had it come back. YMMV.

This one is either felt tape or replacement. The other one I suspect involves the entire steering column.

That's precisely what I had with my '22 GT. Apply any torsional load (ie. push forward on one side and pull on the other) and it would creak, as well as during normal steering. It was noticeably worse in hot conditions, too. They replaced the steering wheel and it appears to be resolved. I've heard it creak maybe once or twice since then in 1500+ miles, but not on any sort of regular basis.

I also had the creaking sound with turning of the steering wheel. Service applied the felt tape "fix", which resolved the issue temporarily for 1-2 months, but now the noise is back. Will make another service appointment.

For ppl who have had long term success with this, did the steering have to be replaced?

thx

After initially being resolved with a new steering wheel, my wheel has returned to creaking almost every time I turn it. I have a '23 Pure. My service tech has told me there is nothing more he can do until another update comes along, which is rather hard to believe if newer builds no longer have this problem.

After initially being resolved with a new steering wheel, my wheel has returned to creaking almost every time I turn it. I have a '23 Pure. My service tech has told me there is nothing more he can do until another update comes along, which is rather hard to believe if newer builds no longer have this problem.
Just have them pack it with foam. That’s what’s been done to mine twice now.

Back