Steering Wheel Button Issue

The wheel buttons went through many revisions in terms of spring tension and the current revision is what was decided to feel the most premium.

Interesting. I wonder why they thought so much tension gave these buttons a "premium" feel but then felt the loose imprecision of the A/C toggle switches was the way to go? Or felt the volume roller between the toggle switches didn't need near the tension of the steering wheel rotaries? The toggle switches on my two cars, and most pronouncedly on the later one, don't even line up -- and they're a lot more prominent visually to all in the car than the steering wheel rotaries.

I actually love the fan speed and temperature control switches, I've always been a huge aviation fan, and it makes me feel like I'm in a cockpit and the design of them going up and down is just so intuitive and easy to push when driving that I don't feel distracted at all

They're a very good design in terms of function and location. However, they're a really sloppy piece of execution . . . in fact, downright embarrassing in a $170K car.

Here's how far the buttons are out of alignment:

IMG_1672.jpg

And here's how much they jiggle before engaging:

Wasnt he referring to the center stack buttons when he was talking about the detent? I think he compared it to some sort of swiss watch?

No. At the 1:44 mark in this video, Rawlinson has his hands on the A/C toggle switches while saying they need an adjustment of detent spring stiffness and detent balls to give them a Swiss watch feel:

I agree that they don't feel very premium, it would have been nice if they were metal instead of plastic.

My biggest gripe though is how bright they get in the sun where the reflection is super distracting.....am I the only one that's noticed this.....if not any solutions anyone has stumbled upon.

I agree that they don't feel very premium, it would have been nice if they were metal instead of plastic.

My biggest gripe though is how bright they get in the sun where the reflection is super distracting.....am I the only one that's noticed this.....if not any solutions anyone has stumbled upon.
Totally agree on the sun reflection.

And here's how much they jiggle before engaging:
In my dream addition, mine are not jiggly, but when, going over certain roads, they tend to vibrate and make a buzzing sound.

Polarized sunglasses. Fixes the button reflection and the stitching reflection in the windshield

Yea the design of the steering wheel scroll wheels requires quite a bit of force (upwards and downwards) on that button assembly. I'm sure that contributes to the failure. I rarely use the volume adjustment on the steering wheel as it is pretty laggy, the center scroll wheel is far more responsive.
I hate these force buttons... I wish everything was soft roll, like the dash volume button. It was one of the design points that made the original iPod so satisfying, that scroll wheel to select experience. I think it originated in Sweden for one of the electronics companies, B&O or Ericsson... I miss it so much!

No. At the 1:44 mark in this video, Rawlinson has his hands on the A/C toggle switches while saying they need an adjustment of detent spring stiffness and detent balls to give them a Swiss watch feel:

The mobile tech is here today and happened to have a new toggle switch array for the A/C controls in his van. The toggle switches on the new unit are better aligned and more precise in their operation, indicating that Lucid did resolve the issue later in the production run. He's installing it now.

My plastic ACC button popped off while driving and I am waiting on a new steering wheel to be installed. Hopefully the flimsy plastic part has been replaced.

Same thing just happened to left side ACC button last night. Tiny plastic piece as others have mentioned. CS responded pretty quickly last night for the service request...

Mine just went in for service for the left button falling off as well

My button on the left side just popped off. I dont even use it and it was sitting on my seat when I entered the vehicle this morning.
As a stock holder also I am annoyed that they had to waste so much resources replacing the whole steering wheel for these small issues.

The mute button for the audio, on the steering wheel, broke. Looks like the clasp on one end broke. Looks to me like a new part should just snap in. Service advisor tells me this is a known thing. The only solution is to replace the entire steering wheel assembly. So, instead of the 25 cent part, change out the $1500 steering wheel assembly. I hope a lucid exec reads this.
Same story here. Seems like Lucid should be able to either remove a button from other returned steering wheels [and save the expense of replacing the entire assembly] or get the provider of the steering wheels to give up a bunch of those cheapie plastic parts.

Same story here. Seems like Lucid should be able to either remove a button from other returned steering wheels [and save the expense of replacing the entire assembly] or get the provider of the steering wheels to give up a bunch of those cheapie plastic parts.
It's not quite that simple. If the part is from a subcontractor, Lucid will not spend the time and money to fix it. They will simply return the bad ones to the subcontractor for replacements. This may seem silly, but that's the way it usually works in situations like this. Source: lifelong best friend's company makes parts for cars (Tesla mostly).

Yes. Best they can do is to have the contractor quietly redesign whatever part of the steering wheel is failing and slowly replace wheels with the new version as they get reported.

The contractor making the part eats the cost, so it’s not as expensive to Lucid as you might think. Although it’s not great for their reputation, I suppose.

I believe they are on at least revision 7 of the steering wheel by now.

Back