• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Standard Dream Drive doesn’t have lane centering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do not need LiDAR to overcome phantom braking. My Tundra has 0 phantom braking using a simple radar system. Radar has been used in cars for adaptive cruise control for 15+ years. Between radar and cameras self driving is achievable. Heck BMW has been doing highway assist for 3+ years now. Lidar doesn’t offer any additional advantage when it comes to phantom braking. That’s purely bad programming on Tesla part. The reason it’s a programming issue because I can mimic it every time on a certain road. It would be random if it was hardware related. This is just bad programming on their part. But again easily accomplished by putting a front radar. There are pros and cons to both, radar and Lidar
Yea but they don't have that either and are even removing the ultrasonic sensors...

You do not need LiDAR to overcome phantom braking. My Tundra has 0 phantom braking using a simple radar system. Radar has been used in cars for adaptive cruise control for 15+ years. Between radar and cameras self driving is achievable. Heck BMW has been doing highway assist for 3+ years now. Lidar doesn’t offer any additional advantage when it comes to phantom braking. That’s purely bad programming on Tesla part. The reason it’s a programming issue because I can mimic it every time on a certain road. It would be random if it was hardware related. This is just bad programming on their part. But again easily accomplished by putting a front radar. There are pros and cons to both, radar and Lidar
I agree. I think LiDAR is useful for other things. I was using phantom braking as an example of “if Tesla couldn’t figure it out, nobody can” being nonsense.

Uh, they literally *just* went to vision-only, which is effectively removing hardware from the cars, despite not having bumper cameras. They claim it was because of better engineering, but it wreaks of just a profit play.
What I meant to say was when FSD became a thing, maybe 2016-2017, whoever paid for FSD at that time got their hardware replaced with newer cameras, sensors, computing unit.
I do not believe Lucid is promising on that front, in case the DDPro hardware does go obsolete in next couple years.

What I meant to say was when FSD became a thing, maybe 2016-2017, whoever paid for FSD at that time got their hardware replaced with newer cameras, sensors, computing unit.
I do not believe Lucid is promising on that front, in case the DDPro hardware does go obsolete in next couple years.
Yeah, I don’t think they’re promising a hw retrofit. That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but they’re not promising it, you’re right.

I don't care if level 3 driving ever comes. To me, the blind spot cameras, and especially the 3D surround view, are worth the price of DD Pro. Avoid blind spots and park with more certainty to avoid curbing your wheel, etc. That's worth paying for to avoid body shop time...

I don't care if level 3 driving ever comes. To me, the blind spot cameras, and especially the 3D surround view, are worth the price of DD Pro. Avoid blind spots and park with more certainty to avoid curbing your wheel, etc. That's worth paying for to avoid body shop time...
I’m in 100% agreement with you here. But I get that other folks think 10k is pricey for just those features (plus the promise of other things down the line).

Maybe I’ve been buying cars too long, but I seem to remember paying way too much for every option in every car I’ve ever owned.

Go configure a Porsche or Audi and see how much they charge for minor cosmetic upgrades. DDPro will seem like a bargain after that.

I’m in 100% agreement with you here. But I get that other folks think 10k is pricey for just those features (plus the promise of other things down the line).

Maybe I’ve been buying cars too long, but I seem to remember paying way too much for every option in every car I’ve ever owned.

Go configure a Porsche or Audi and see how much they charge for minor cosmetic upgrades. DDPro will seem like a bargain after that.
Just looked, to even get ACC you have to add $5400 to the price of a Taycan, but to get active lane keep is only another 3k. So better value than DDPro, worse if base DD

Just looked, to even get ACC you have to add $5400 to the price of a Taycan, but to get active lane keep is only another 3k. So better value than DDPro, worse if base DD
I was thinking of the $9560 they want to charge for adding a bit of carbon fiber to the front fascia and rear diffuser. But fair enough.

I was thinking of the $9560 they want to charge for adding a bit of carbon fiber to the front fascia and rear diffuser. But fair enough.
Yea but it's $2000 for the carbon fiber and $7650 to be able to say, look I have carbon fiber!

So, just to reiterate, the car has lane departure assist but not lane centering by default?
Version 2.0 of the software has lane centering and it should be a standard feature of DD. DDPro includes highway pilot, which would allow you to remove your hands from the steering wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back