Speedometer is off

Lucidmakeusproud

I recently noticed that my speedometer is 2-3 miles faster than the my actual speed. My car originally came with 21 inch rims which I had them change to 19 inch prior to delivery. Smaller rims means less distance traveled vs 21s with the same amount of rotations. I called lucid and they said something to the effect of EV's show speed real time vs gas engines have a delay in showing speed hence the difference. I told him what about when using cruise control then? No answer. Lucid said all EVs show speed differently than what is measured via being clocked by radar or monitored by Waze. Is everyone else different in MPH on Waze vs speedometer? It's really annoying that the speedometer is not accurate.

**my Mercedes and Lexus were always spot on with Waze and being clocked by radar.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I recently noticed that my speedometer is 2-3 miles faster than the my actual speed. My car originally came with 21 inch rims which I had them change to 19 inch prior to delivery. Smaller rims means less distance traveled vs 21s with the same amount of rotations. I called lucid and they said something to the effect of EV's show speed real time vs gas engines have a delay in showing speed hence the difference. I told him what about when using cruise control then? No answer. Lucid said all EVs show speed differently than what is measured via being clocked by radar or monitored by Waze. Is everyone else different in MPH on Waze vs speedometer? It's really annoying that the speedometer is not accurate.

**my Mercedes and Lexus were always spot on with Waze and being clocked by radar.

I appreciate everyone's input.
In some markets, e.g.., Germany, manufacturers are penalized if the speedometers err in the other direction. Also, consumers could sue car companies for ticket costs (including insurance increases) if they were caught speeding because the speedometer was wrong and set too high. So this error is traditional for all car companies. Interestingly, the odometer will be accurate, just the speedometer is wrong.

In some markets, e.g.., Germany, manufacturers are penalized if the speedometers err in the other direction. Also, consumers could sue car companies for ticket costs (including insurance increases) if they were caught speeding because the speedometer was wrong and set too high. So this error is traditional for all car companies. Interestingly, the odometer will be accurate, just the speedometer is wrong.
Ok great that's what I wanted to know because my car is leased and I didn't want to get screwed on miles. Thanks for the reply.

Ok great that's what I wanted to know because my car is leased and I didn't want to get screwed on miles. Thanks for the reply.
Just to be super clear: the odometer, unlike the speedometer, is not off - it reads actual miles traveled.

Hey I was about to post and found this thread, is this true, all Lucid cars report 2MPH off? I download a speedometer app for my Iphone today, and what threw me off was the other day this construction sign showed my speed and I noticed it was 2-3 MPH off. Then the app showed the 2MPH off. I was thinking its cause I switched from 19 inch wheels to 20 inch wheels sometime last year. But seeing this thread its all Lucid cars and not the wheels?

So this means I can speed extra 2PMH, so instead of 80, we can make it 82, maybe even 83, weeeeeee

Hey I was about to post and found this thread, is this true, all Lucid cars report 2MPH off? I download a speedometer app for my Iphone today, and what threw me off was the other day this construction sign showed my speed and I noticed it was 2-3 MPH off. Then the app showed the 2MPH off. I was thinking its cause I switched from 19 inch wheels to 20 inch wheels sometime last year. But seeing this thread its all Lucid cars and not the wheels?

So this means I can speed extra 2PMH, so instead of 80, we can make it 82, maybe even 83, weeeeeee
Yup. Many or most new cars will report speed a little bit higher than reality to avoid fines, lawsuits, and other such legal silliness. Lucids are always +2 mph.

Yup. Many or most new cars will report speed a little bit higher than reality to avoid fines, lawsuits, and other such legal silliness. Lucids are always +2 mph.
When did this start? Our 2018 reports accurately.

Varies by manufacturer. I think German cars have been doing this for a while, because Germany actually fines the manufacturers if they report speed much lower than it really is. Not sure about others.

It entirely depends on the manufacturer. My wife’s Hyundai actually reports exact speed; I don’t know why, since it does make them more liable for issues moving forward. That said, many many manufacturers underreport by 1-3mph.

I wonder since speed is off if that means the odometer would not be 100% accurate too?

Back