Software issues

The issue is that we want Sirius XM Satellite radio. Not everyone has cell coverage everywhere they travel.
Thank you! It really is that simple.

Interesting, I’ve had very different experiences.

I find Alexa to be the worst of them. We tried swapping all of our google homes for Echoes at one point in the past year or two and we’re super frustrated over the fact Alexa just seemed to keep trying to sell us stuff vs actually providing useful information.

Siri seems to have very good recognition, but we run into limits relatively quickly with her.

Google Assistant is the most functional for us, although it sometimes will do weird crap with not quite providing what we asked for.

This discussion tickles me. I just remember years ago as a kid, I was the voice assistant as my mother would yell at us to do stuff. Lol

I just went out to the garage to see if the 1.1.2 download succeeded. A message flashed briefly on the Glass Cockpit saying that the download was successful. But when I pressed the "Settings" icon to see what version was displayed, the f--king screen was frozen again. I did a soft reset, and it's still frozen. So I have no g-damned idea what software is loaded now and what changes this update was supposed to have brought.

There's a lot riding for me on what Lucid does when it takes the car into the Service Center to sort this crap out. If I get the car back and encounter the same issues again, I'm done with the car. I'm just way too tired of getting into it wondering what will and won't be working this time.

It's just mind-boggling to me that a driving machine this incredible could be brought so low by its software operating system.

The Plaid we have is a good enough road car for two people and, while it has considerably less range, there's a Tesla Supercharger around almost every corner now, and they always work. I've learned to pay no attention to misaligned trim pieces, to remember to slam the front passenger door hard to get it to latch, and have come to an unsettled peace with the annoying yoke steering. At least voice commands, music streaming, and navigation work consistently.

I just went out to the garage to see if the 1.1.2 download succeeded. A message flashed briefly on the Glass Cockpit saying that the download was successful. But when I pressed the "Settings" icon to see what version was displayed, the f--king screen was frozen again. I did a soft reset, and it's still frozen. So I have no g-damned idea what software is loaded now and what changes this update was supposed to have brought.

There's a lot riding for me on what Lucid does when it takes the car into the Service Center to sort this crap out. If I get the car back and encounter the same issues again, I'm done with the car. I'm just way too tired of getting into it wondering what will and won't be working this time.

It's just mind-boggling to me that a driving machine this incredible could be brought so low by its software operating system.

The Plaid we have is a good enough road car for two people and, while it has considerably less range, there's a Tesla Supercharger around almost every corner now, and they always work. I've learned to pay no attention to misaligned trim pieces, to remember to slam the front passenger door hard to get it to latch, and have come to an unsettled peace with the annoying yoke steering. At least voice commands, music streaming, and navigation work consistently.
Are you starting the work to lemon law it? Or are you waiting? (Or will you sell it?)

That really sucks. My car to date has always worked. I may not like elements of the software, but the system has always booted up, and my worst freeze, still allowed me to change screens and continue normal operation. I really hope they can identify the root cause for you and get it fixed.

Sorry to hear about this, only good sign is no one else appears to be having this issue on the forum which should mean it's an isolated problem.

Yes, but one out of every 250 cars delivered having drastic enough issues to even talk about Lemon Laws is very disconcerting. I hope this next service center visit fixes your issues and we all hear they “have solved the problemS”.

How Lucid has responded to you and how they will respond to you in the future is going to be very important for us all to hear and take into consideration as we make our own decisions with respect to Lucid.

I waited a while and then went out to the garage to try a second soft reset. The screen remained frozen. So I called Lucid Customer Care to see if they could reset the system from their end. They could not, but they walked me through two more reset attempts, this time using the left turn signal. That did not work. The rep then asked me to pull down a menu from the top screen to the bottom screen. I did, and the drop-down menu froze on the bottom screen, causing me to lose those functions along with the ones I had already lost. With that, the rep was out of ideas, and the screen remains frozen.

This is the first time multiple resets have not unfrozen the screen. Since this permanent freeze happened immediately after the 1.1.2 update, I'm wondering whether the update introduced another glitch. The rep said people have just started downloading the new update, and I was the first to call with a problem. He's alerting the other customer service reps to see if similar calls start coming in.

This feels like the 1990's, when I was afraid to accept Apple updates to my Mac, never knowing what new problems would follow.

P.S. The second time I got into the car after a reset, the A/C vents started making that scraping/whistling sound again. I'm just going to stay away for the car the rest of the day, because there's a sledge hammer hanging on the wall too near it.

I waited a while and then went out to the garage to try a second soft reset. The screen remained frozen. So I called Lucid Customer Care to see if they could reset the system from their end. They could not, but they walked me through two more reset attempts, this time using the left turn signal. That did not work. The rep then asked me to pull down a menu from the top screen to the bottom screen. I did, and the drop-down menu froze on the bottom screen, causing me to lose those functions along with the ones I had already lost. With that, the rep was out of ideas, and the screen remains frozen.

This is the first time multiple resets have not unfrozen the screen. Since this permanent freeze happened immediately after the 1.1.2 update, I'm wondering whether the update introduced another glitch. The rep said people have just started downloading the new update, and I was the first to call with a problem. He's alerting the other customer service reps to see if similar calls start coming in.

This feels like the 1990's, when I was afraid to accept Apple updates to my Mac, never knowing what new problems would follow.
So..when are they replacing the entire computer for your car?

You know you could just have a bad partition or memory chip. I don't know what they are using a drive or non-volatile memory.

So..when are they replacing the entire computer for your car?

They said all the parts but one had arrived. (This was before I notified them of the A/C blower problem.) They're to call me to schedule the pick-up once they have everything on hand.

You know you could just have a bad partition or memory chip. I don't know what they are using a drive or non-volatile memory.
My money is also on hardware fault. The software cannot possibly be that bad.

I once had a desktop computer that would hard lock only on a particular sequence of machine code instructions that existed in one specific program. All the usual power-on self tests etc were fine. So using a debugger I isolated that specific instruction sequence, wrote a separate little program that had those instructions, and was able to reproduce the hard lock every time. Replacing the CPU fixed it completely.

I can't imagine even the best tech support would have been able to guide me over the phone to find this cause. So I am guessing that @hmp10's troubles are analogous and throwing hardware at it will fix it.

My money is also on hardware fault. The software cannot possibly be that bad.

I once had a desktop computer that would hard lock only on a particular sequence of machine code instructions that existed in one specific program. All the usual power-on self tests etc were fine. So using a debugger I isolated that specific instruction sequence, wrote a separate little program that had those instructions, and was able to reproduce the hard lock every time. Replacing the CPU fixed it completely.

I can't imagine even the best tech support would have been able to guide me over the phone to find this cause. So I am guessing that @hmp10's troubles are analogous and throwing hardware at it will fix it.
Probably why they are replacing his pilot screen as well

I feel your frustration. Hell, I feel it myself just reading posts from you, Bill and a couple of others. The only way Lucid will step up their game is to read posts from objective owners who are not making excuses or rationalizing away the problems.

I would be lying if I said reading about these issues is not making me lean toward the i4 despite its range being significantly less than an Air Pure. Level 3 charges are not an issue in my area, so that aspect of ownership is of little concern to me. I've been relying on them for the last several years, post-Tesla, when not charging at home, and have been fine. However I do not have the tolerance or patience at this point to get into another car where I simply don't know what issues I'll have on any given day. I also don't have the patience to deal with my wife who will inevitably (and justifiably) say, "You traded in your trouble-free e-Tron for this?"

I have little doubt that most of these issues will be ironed out over time, but the question is, how much time?

I think that if by the time the air pure comes out, the car still won't be perfect, but it'll most likely be down to personal preferences on how things are setup. I have faith, but I don't see anyone making excuses here, just some of us are more patient than others.

Exactly! Have never had XM signal loss in city or rural travel. But, have not driven across the Plains or canyons nor plan to.
I've lost signal driving through dense forest where only a narrow slice of sky is visible. Also, depends on where I get stuck in traffic downtown with skyscrapers (this was in Los Angeles).

I think that if by the time the air pure comes out, the car still won't be perfect, but it'll most likely be down to personal preferences on how things are setup. I have faith, but I don't see anyone making excuses here, just some of us are more patient than others.
Fair enough. ;)

They're to call me to schedule the pick-up once they have everything on hand
I'd start preparing Lucid to meet your expectation that they replace the car or provide a refund if replacing the main computer and pilot screen don't address the issues that seem unique to your car. I'm hoping replacing the computer gets your car to the point where you only experience what everyone else is saying needs work.

That is my theory and part of the reason why I put down on a deposit on a Pure.

I'd start preparing Lucid to meet your expectation that they replace the car or provide a refund if replacing the main computer and pilot screen don't address the issues that seem unique to your car. I'm hoping replacing the computer gets your car to the point where you only experience what everyone else is saying needs work.

I expected some teething problems with the car along the lines of the general software issues all of us are experiencing. Whistling air vents aside, I've actually been surprised to the upside at just how flawless the power delivery, the handling, the structural robustness, the fit and finish, and the comfort of this car are.

However, with cars now turning so much of their operation over to software, things such as frozen screens can bring an otherwise great vehicle to its knees. I've wondered what would happen if I got pulled for speeding and had to explain to the officer that I can't produce my registration because the glovebox in my shiny new car won't open because a computer screen is frozen.

Back