Size Comparison

For comparison, when we were in the EQS SUV, one of the other owners was trying to get out of the third row, where his knees were already splayed and out. It turns out in order to let him out, you need to move the second row forward — standard enough. Only it turns out that to move the second row forward, the passenger riding shotgun needs to get out and move the passenger seat forward, so you can move the second row and let the third row out. There was no way to do it otherwise. Nearly the whole car must exit, except the driver.

I almost lost my mind.
Okay, wtf? That seems like terrible design and when described, makes it seem like one of the worst third rows in existence. Even the Model Y doesn't need to do that, and that third row is so small the 2nd row seatback touches the third row seat (when all the way back)! So much for "German engineering"... I totally relate to you, as that flaw would drive me insane.

Okay, wtf? That seems like terrible design and when described, makes it seem like one of the worst third rows in existence. Even the Model Y doesn't need to do that, and that third row is so small the 2nd row seatback touches the third row seat (when all the way back)! So much for "German engineering"... I totally relate to you, as that flaw would drive me insane.
I wish I were lying.

Let me actually answer this a little better; it’s important to note that the seats don’t fold forward and stay there like in a normal SUV (or the Air). They fold forward and then slide *down* into the subfloor of the Gravity. That is what allows you to fold both sets of seats down and get a literally completely flat cabin, with no bumps.
The third row in the Odyssey is just like that. My favorite car for Home Depot trips.

Let me actually answer this a little better; it’s important to note that the seats don’t fold forward and stay there like in a normal SUV (or the Air). They fold forward and then slide *down* into the subfloor of the Gravity. That is what allows you to fold both sets of seats down and get a literally completely flat cabin, with no bumps.

But: those seats have to go somewhere, and they’re not tiny. So, when the seats are *up*, the space in the trunk where they normally stow is storage space for bags, etc. If they’re down, you can place the bags on top of them. If they’re up, place them where the seats were when they were down. The number of configurations and places to find additional cargo space feels like magic. The whole car feels like they designed a massive shell on the inside, and then just built the car around that. Of course that’s not true, but the amount of space really does make it feel cavernous.

For comparison, when we were in the EQS SUV, one of the other owners was trying to get out of the third row, where his knees were already splayed and out. It turns out in order to let him out, you need to move the second row forward — standard enough. Only it turns out that to move the second row forward, the passenger riding shotgun needs to get out and move the passenger seat forward, so you can move the second row and let the third row out. There was no way to do it otherwise. Nearly the whole car must exit, except the driver.

I almost lost my mind.
Supposedly, Lucid benchmarked the Kia Carnival for that back row so it makes sense it works exaclty like minivan.

The third row in the Odyssey is just like that. My favorite car for Home Depot trips.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply they invented it. It's just so freaking useful, so they built it Into their SUV; the idea is from minivans, but bringing it to this form factor only became possible due to their efficiency gains and Lucid's "space concept."

We have 3rd row similarly done in our car (additionally the 3rd row seat can be easily just removed, but they are relatively small seats, not full size). That's why I always sad to see other significantly bigger cars (especially electric cars) that just waste the space. Glad Lucid does it right. That's also why I believe they can implement optional 3rd row in their mid-size if they'll decide to do, and they can implement it better than it's in Model Y.

we get by with an MDX right now (wife's car) and we have barely enough space in the third row, and can fit one full size suitcase when third row is up. its always a whine fest when two of the (3) kids have to get back there if we are toting around the in-laws or my parents. currently my wife is at "whats a gravity?" as soon as i get eyes on it, i'm sure her opinion will sway. i try to get her to watch the road to gravity videos, but she's too busy with facebook :) and some of it is too technical for her anyway

we get by with an MDX right now (wife's car) and we have barely enough space in the third row, and can fit one full size suitcase when third row is up. its always a whine fest when two of the (3) kids have to get back there if we are toting around the in-laws or my parents. currently my wife is at "whats a gravity?" as soon as i get eyes on it, i'm sure her opinion will sway. i try to get her to watch the road to gravity videos, but she's too busy with facebook :) and some of it is too technical for her anyway
Well to be fair Gravity is significantly longer than MDX.
I think it should be ok to just wait until there will be a chance to sit inside of Gravity in person - I expect that will close all questions immediately :) At least that is my current plan for my family.

The thing to remember with the third row is yes, in Gravity a 6'2" person CAN ride in the third row comfortably if necessary. I've been in the back of one of the prototypes. (Not at this event, but another.) It was perfectly comfortable, even though I'm spoiled by the room in the Air.

But here's the thing: How often is anyone in the world driving more than 4 people over 6'2"? Because until you have that 5th person, there's no good reason to put the tall people in the third row.

Every time I get into any friend's car with multiple people, I always get offered the front passenger seat, because I'm usually the tallest person in the group.

So sure, if you are transporting your kid's college basketball team, the headroom back there will come in handy. Otherwise, it's not going to be an issue for more than 90% of owners.

My suspicion is most people who buy Gravity will have the third row folded by default, opting for the extra storage space.

But here's the thing: How often is anyone in the world driving more than 4 people over 6'2"? Because until you have that 5th person, there's no good reason to put the tall people in the third row.

Every time I get into any friend's car with multiple people, I always get offered the front passenger seat, because I'm usually the tallest person in the group.

So sure, if you are transporting your kid's college basketball team, the headroom back there will come in handy. Otherwise, it's not going to be an issue for more than 90% of owners.

My suspicion is most people who buy Gravity will have the third row folded by default, opting for the extra storage space.
That's exactly the thing for us. Yes, our current car has 3rd row seats that won't be ok for you. Yes, they are folded by default. And yes, every time when we need them we just chose 1-2 smaller people to sit there - I never had to transport a basketball team.
So results are we have comparably compact car (that is very convenient daily) and still have 3rd row for occasional cases.
And if Lucid will make their midsize with optional "small" foldable 3rd row (using their space concept still) it will be awesome.

The thing to remember with the third row is yes, in Gravity a 6'2" person CAN ride in the third row comfortably if necessary. I've been in the back of one of the prototypes. (Not at this event, but another.) It was perfectly comfortable, even though I'm spoiled by the room in the Air.

Mainly because people are always looking for the car that satisfies all the use cases, no matter how rare

Mainly because people are always looking for the car that satisfies all the use cases, no matter how rare
Yes, and the total length difference between 180" and 200" is quite a lot for daily usage in Europe. Not at all for the USA I guess.

I mean, I'm 6 feet tall, so I'd argue that for some people, carrying 4 people over 6 feet might be a normal use case. I agree with you about headroom, as with 99.9 percent of all cars on sale today, headroom is a non-issue

I mean, I'm 6 feet tall, so I'd argue that for some people, carrying 4 people over 6 feet might be a normal use case. I agree with you about headroom, as with 99.9 percent of all cars on sale today, headroom is a non-issue
Is the rest of your family also all over 6 feet tall? Because if not, then that's still theoretical.

Actually, yes. One family member is 5'9, but the rest of us are 6+ ft.
The point was you aren't carrying 5+ people 6' or taller on a regular basis.

Actually, yes. One family member is 5'9, but the rest of us are 6+ ft.
In that case, your family is well above the average. I'd wager fewer than 2% of all American families are in the same boat as you.

Back