Shock and Tilt False Alarms

So I just went to turn the AC on from my APP and it set off the shock and tilt. It worked fine around Noon today but the car has been in the sun all day, not sure if that is the cause or not.

Have my car since April, never had this issue until today after the new update. It has happened 4 times in my garage while charging.

Our false alarm occurred a week before we got the 1.2.6 update, and I think that was the case with some other owners.

I just picked up my car from Scottsdale where they had my car all last week while I was on vacation. Lucid is definitely giving this issue a lot of attention. Four engineers specializing in different systems flew into Phoenix to work on my car and one other car that was experiencing the same issue. The shock and tilt sensor is also the intrusion and impact sensor and is located on a pillar near the AC compressor for battery thermal control and cabin AC. It is believed that a vibration from the compressor/fan is causing the false alarm. Although there is a sensistiviy adjustment for the sensor, the problem is more related to the sleep versus wake state and which modules are active and which are sleeping and what motion is considered normal in those states. Hence, the problem occurs when approaching to unlock, locking, starting to charge, etc.

The service team did replace my shock and tilt sensor but I believe that is more to rule that out as a cause rather than a belief that it will fix the issue. It sounds like a software fix is on the way but not likely to happen in the next update since they are just starting to understand the problem.

Overall, I am happy with the response from Lucid. My only complaint is that the Scottsdale detailer was out today and my car looks like it was sitting outside during a dust storm. I should have asked for a free detail later in the week.

I just picked up my car from Scottsdale where they had my car all last week while I was on vacation. Lucid is definitely giving this issue a lot of attention. Four engineers specializing in different systems flew into Phoenix to work on my car and one other car that was experiencing the same issue. The shock and tilt sensor is also the intrusion and impact sensor and is located on a pillar near the AC compressor for battery thermal control and cabin AC. It is believed that a vibration from the compressor/fan is causing the false alarm. Although there is a sensistiviy adjustment for the sensor, the problem is more related to the sleep versus wake state and which modules are active and which are sleeping and what motion is considered normal in those states. Hence, the problem occurs when approaching to unlock, locking, starting to charge, etc.

The service team did replace my shock and tilt sensor but I believe that is more to rule that out as a cause rather than a belief that it will fix the issue. It sounds like a software fix is on the way but not likely to happen in the next update since they are just starting to understand the problem.

Overall, I am happy with the response from Lucid. My only complaint is that the Scottsdale detailer was out today and my car looks like it was sitting outside during a dust storm. I should have asked for a free detail later in the week.
I'm assuming that you have already changed the settings to Notifications Only. I'm glad that exists because I received 5 notifications between 8 PM and 10 PM the other night, and that would have been a real pain in the ass if it was accompanied by the alarm. Hopefully, they'll solve it, but fortunately the urgency to solve it is somewhat reduced. Welcome back!

I notice one thing that seems to set it off the other night. I typically charge until I go to bed and then stop charging so up until the other night, I never quite got to the full 80% charge. I've also notice a slight drain from the original range when charging is stopped and the next morning when I get in the car (anywhere from 10-25 miles). I assume this is just due to the car running for a short period to cool the battery once charging is complete.

So the other night once the charge hit the full 80%, I still had the charger plugged in, after a little bit the car drained 1-2 miles. At that point the tilt and shock went off and at the same time the car started to charge again since it was trying to get back up to the 80%. My guess is that the re-starting of the charging jolted the sensor that Adnillien mentioned thus triggering the shock and tilt (it actually told me my car was being towed).

I saw false alarm while standing 30' away from my car while it was in my garage being charged. It had recently been updated to 1.2.6.

I notice one thing that seems to set it off the other night. I typically charge until I go to bed and then stop charging so up until the other night, I never quite got to the full 80% charge. I've also notice a slight drain from the original range when charging is stopped and the next morning when I get in the car (anywhere from 10-25 miles). I assume this is just due to the car running for a short period to cool the battery once charging is complete.

So the other night once the charge hit the full 80%, I still had the charger plugged in, after a little bit the car drained 1-2 miles. At that point the tilt and shock went off and at the same time the car started to charge again since it was trying to get back up to the 80%. My guess is that the re-starting of the charging jolted the sensor that Adnillien mentioned thus triggering the shock and tilt (it actually told me my car was being towed).
I had this exact same thing happen last night. I usually unplug my car before I go to bed. I left it plugged in last night and received over 10 shock and tilt alerts and my car started to charge 5 separate times. So I finally went at 3am and unplugged the car. The fans ran extremely hard (can hear them from the other side of my house) And came out to the car at 630am with 16 miles of range loss.

The service advisor from Scottsdale reached out to me today and told me the the bug causing these shock and tilt alarms has been found and that a software fix is on the way. That sounds like good news but it was followed by not in the next update and only maybe in the one after that.

The service advisor from Scottsdale reached out to me today and told me the the bug causing these shock and tilt alarms has been found and that a software fix is on the way. That sounds like good news but it was followed by not in the next update and only maybe in the one after that.
In other words, we'll get it when the Touring owners get it ;).

Big difference between finding a bug and fixing a bug. They are right to be cautious about when it will be fixed, tested, approved, then released.

But this is very good news.

I received my first false alarm this morning and another 2 in the space of 30 minutes. I plugged the car in last night at 5% SoC and woke up to the false alarm. Got to the garage, it's 108 degrees inside, the wall charger is squealing due to excessive heat also. I'm wondering if the heat has something to do with it. The fans running so excessively for a Level 1 charge is ridiculous and if heat is going to trigger the alarm then I don't think I can charge the car from such a low SoC at home. I'm in SoCal, it's hot here! Not sure how Lucid thought it was such a smart idea to run the fans like that in such an enclosed space. My AC costs are through the roof already so i'm not about to install an AC in the garage to keep the car cool while charging! 😂

I received my first false alarm this morning and another 2 in the space of 30 minutes. I plugged the car in last night at 5% SoC and woke up to the false alarm. Got to the garage, it's 108 degrees inside, the wall charger is squealing due to excessive heat also. I'm wondering if the heat has something to do with it. The fans running so excessively for a Level 1 charge is ridiculous and if heat is going to trigger the alarm then I don't think I can charge the car from such a low SoC at home. I'm in SoCal, it's hot here! Not sure how Lucid thought it was such a smart idea to run the fans like that in such an enclosed space. My AC costs are through the roof already so i'm not about to install an AC in the garage to keep the car cool while charging! 😂
108 in your garage!?! Also, what choice do they have for BMS? Batteries do not want to be that hot.

It is heat related. The compressor for battery thermal management and climate control are very close to the shock and tilt sensor. Depending on the sequence that modules wake up, the compressor vibration sets of this alert.

You can turn the alarm off by going to settings in the car and changing Shock and Tilt to send alert only instead of alarm and alert. This will at least keep it from waking you up.

108 in your garage!?! Also, what choice do they have for BMS? Batteries do not want to be that hot.
My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage. The only time the fans would kick in so aggressively is when using a DC fast charger and rightfully so. 9kw charging should not instigate this aggressiveness in cooling \ bms management

I'm in Santa Clarita, it's 100 degrees today and the garage has no ventilation to the outside. Checking the app now is says it's 91 in the garage so as soon as I start to charge it would push it up to over 100 again. It looks like it blew out my wall charger as well as it won't power on anymore so going to check the breaker. You shouldn't have to leave your garage door open to charge your car and this excessive heat is what can cause fires.

My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage. The only time the fans would kick in so aggressively is when using a DC fast charger. 9kw charging should not instigate this aggressiveness in cooling \ bms management
Same for the AMG EQS.

My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage. The only time the fans would kick in so aggressively is when using a DC fast charger. 9kw charging should not instigate this aggressiveness in cooling \ bms management
I mean...you said even your wall charger was going crazy...but either way, BMS will improve over time as they get more data. Like many have said in other threads, erring on the side of caution for BMS is probably better than the other way.:cool:

It is heat related. The compressor for battery thermal management and climate control are very close to the shock and tilt sensor. Depending on the sequence that modules wake up, the compressor vibration sets of this alert.

You can turn the alarm off by going to settings in the car and changing Shock and Tilt to send alert only instead of alarm and alert. This will at least keep it from waking you up.
Good to know. It hasn't gone off since the 3rd time this morning but wasn't aware of being able to change the setting so thanks for the heads up

I mean...you said even your wall charger was going crazy...but either way, BMS will improve over time as they get more data. Like many have said in other threads, erring on the side of caution for BMS is probably better than the other way.:cool:
The wall charger went crazy because the car decided to turn the garage into a sauna 😂

My previous e-Tron never did this in the garage. The only time the fans would kick in so aggressively is when using a DC fast charger and rightfully so. 9kw charging should not instigate this aggressiveness in cooling \ bms management

I'm in Santa Clarita, it's 100 degrees today and the garage has no ventilation to the outside. Checking the app now is says it's 91 in the garage so as soon as I start to charge it would push it up to over 100 again. It looks like it blew out my wall charger as well as it won't power on anymore so going to check the breaker. You shouldn't have to leave your garage door open to charge your car and this excessive heat is what can cause fires.
As near as I can tell the BMS is trying to keep the battery in the mid 80 degree range. Like you, my garage is not air conditioned and it is a real problem with the garage getting too hot, even at night. Worse, the hotter your garage gets, the harder the car works to cool the battery making your garage even hotter.

Back