Sapphire Reveal

If you were one of those lucky individuals who managed to sell your DE for 220k then the sapphire might be very attractive (effectively costing only around 200k after the 40k profit you made from your DE).

Question for the car people, is it reasonable to get a 24% improvement in 0-60 time with the addition of just 89 hp (about a 7-8% increase)? Or does the extra ‘straight line stability’ given by the third motor allow for what seems like a huge 0-60 improvement? Trying to figure out what the actual hp
Assuming Lucid gets the reliability problems behind them, there's probably a niche market among extreme enthusiasts and exotics buyers....and a handful of sheiks

Does it have two or four doors?

Never mind, watched again all the quick flashing...

It just looks like an unnecessary distraction give delays in production of the Touring and Pure. On the other hand maybe it’s a marketing ploy to convince other players to adopt their technology.

I wish this site would a allow a thumbs down or disagree.

But no, it is not an unnecessary distraction.

"Best car in the World" High ASP, not high losses per vehicle, and demonstration that Lucid can build more than 1 or 2 variants of the Air at the same time will be very helpful for next capital raise.

And there will be many.

"Motor Trend" posted a report yesterday that included these interesting tidbits:

"If your head is still spinning from the claimed acceleration and top speed numbers, know that the brakes on the Air Sapphire are pretty special. Up front you'll find massive, 16.5-inch Lucid-branded and Akebono-developed carbon-ceramic rotors gripped by 10-piston calipers. The rears measure 15.4 inches in diameter and utilize four-piston calipers. Also, the brake rotors "use a woven continuous carbon fiber rather than the discontinuous [chopped] carbon fiber" featured on most carbon braked road cars. The major benefit of a continuous carbon-fiber weave is three times more heat conductivity. Which, for a 2.5-plus-ton car capable of cresting 200 mph, is critical.

"Lucid maintains that the Air Sapphire, as well as future Sapphire products, will be more than just a straight-line juggernaut. Rather, Sapphire vehicles will be fully developed performance cars. First and foremost, as the two motors that make up the Megawatt Drive aren't mechanically linked, the car has the capability to spin one motor (on the outside wheel) forward, while the other (inside wheel) begins regenerative braking. That latter part means the wheel effectively tries to spin backward, i.e., torque vectoring. Also, this next part is a little tricky, but let's say each rear motor makes on the order of 400 horsepower (to be clear, that's just a random figure, not an actual specification). When one motor goes into regen, the energy it was using is now free to flow into the forward-spinning motor, creating as much as 670 hp. Nuts, huh? Lucid claims this sort of two-motor torque vectoring is both quicker and more effective than rear-wheel steering."

Given that the Tesla Model S Plaid is notoriously under-braked for a car of its power and has sketchy handling at the limits, the Lucid Sapphire seems poised to do a lot more than just out-accelerate a Plaid.

"Motor Trend" posted a report yesterday that included these interesting tidbits:

"If your head is still spinning from the claimed acceleration and top speed numbers, know that the brakes on the Air Sapphire are pretty special. Up front you'll find massive, 16.5-inch Lucid-branded and Akebono-developed carbon-ceramic rotors gripped by 10-piston calipers. The rears measure 15.4 inches in diameter and utilize four-piston calipers. Also, the brake rotors "use a woven continuous carbon fiber rather than the discontinuous [chopped] carbon fiber" featured on most carbon braked road cars. The major benefit of a continuous carbon-fiber weave is three times more heat conductivity. Which, for a 2.5-plus-ton car capable of cresting 200 mph, is critical.

"Lucid maintains that the Air Sapphire, as well as future Sapphire products, will be more than just a straight-line juggernaut. Rather, Sapphire vehicles will be fully developed performance cars. First and foremost, as the two motors that make up the Megawatt Drive aren't mechanically linked, the car has the capability to spin one motor (on the outside wheel) forward, while the other (inside wheel) begins regenerative braking. That latter part means the wheel effectively tries to spin backward, i.e., torque vectoring. Also, this next part is a little tricky, but let's say each rear motor makes on the order of 400 horsepower (to be clear, that's just a random figure, not an actual specification). When one motor goes into regen, the energy it was using is now free to flow into the forward-spinning motor, creating as much as 670 hp. Nuts, huh? Lucid claims this sort of two-motor torque vectoring is both quicker and more effective than rear-wheel steering."

Given that the Tesla Model S Plaid is notoriously under-braked for a car of its power and has sketchy handling at the limits, the Lucid Sapphire seems poised to do a lot more than just out-accelerate a Plaid.
For the love of all that is holy, take this car to the Nurburgring and beat the Taycan Turbo S.

For people saying 60k is crazy.

Go look up the cost of replacement rotors on any Porsche with the PCCB option; 20k+. Then consider the fact a big brake kit front and rear would probably cost another 10k.

For people saying 60k is crazy.

Go look up the cost of replacement rotors on any Porsche with the PCCB option; 20k+. Then consider the fact a big brake kit front and rear would probably cost another 10k.

I don't think the price is crazy given the amount of technology and performance hardware in the Sapphire. I just wish it looked a less like a track car and hope Lucid carries through on the plan to put Sapphire running gear into other versions of the Air. That would be the true "stealth" look. If and when they do, I'll be near the head of the line.

I don't think the price is crazy given the amount of technology and performance hardware in the Sapphire. I just wish it looked a less like a track car and hope Lucid carries through on the plan to put Sapphire running gear into other versions of the Air. That would be the true "stealth" look. If and when they do, I'll be near the head of the line.
I think the Sapphire name has legs. Derek Jenkins knows his stuff when it comes to branding. It’ll be much like R, RS, and S-Line at Audi. It will most definitely trickle down to the less expensive cars as expensive vanity add-ons.

It just looks like an unnecessary distraction give delays in production of the Touring and Pure. On the other hand maybe it’s a marketing ploy to convince other players to adopt their technology.
Oh yes.. Lucid developed an entire new trim at $250,000, months and months in the making, to distract from the production woes of their lowest margin trims. :rolleyes:

Coming up next, Lucid Motors provides chassis and tri-motor setup for Aston Martin's new DB EV...

Coming up next, Lucid Motors provides chassis and tri-motor setup for Aston Martin's new DB EV...
That would be great! As long as Aston Martin develops the software!! ;)

I think the Rolls Royce Spectre was a shock to the system. Lucid may need to reevaluate the benchmark.

I think the Sapphire name has legs. Derek Jenkins knows his stuff when it comes to branding. It’ll be much like R, RS, and S-Line at Audi. It will most definitely trickle down to the less expensive cars as expensive vanity add-ons.
Up next - Emerald and Ruby. And maybe eventually Diamond?

What's more appealing in this price range the luxury or the break neck speed?

Back