San Diego owners?

Hello again, people.

My car has been at 5 Points Auto Detail in Kearny Villa since this past Monday. I was told that it wouldn’t be ready for pick up until tomrrow, Friday afternoon, after 1430 hrs. That’s fine, I just asked the shop to hold on to the car for me until next Wednesday morning, when I come back from out of town.

I’ve had three of our cars PPFed, coated and tinted by this shop, and each time the price was in the region of $2000. Each time, because it would have felt awkward not to have done so, at the time of signing for the credit card charge, I added a $200 tip.

In retrospect, I think what I did was excessive and completely unnecessary. Next week’s bill will come to close to $4900. I’m certainly not tipping them ANYTHING.

What do you all think?
What's the quality like? That's a bunch less expensive than One of One.

What's the quality like? That's a bunch less expensive than One of One.

Oh, dear. Let me hasten to add the prices I quoted, and the work they did, was for PARTIAL body wraps. In other words, PPF on all frontal facing areas - bonnet, front bumper, headlamps, front fenders, door mirrors and door handles; Ceramic Pro Gold package on the ENTIRE body and all four wheels; and tinting of side windows. All that work used to run from $1800 to $2000 pre COVID. Today, the same package on my Lucid will set me back $4900. The only difference is that I’ll also be having the windshield and roof tinted, which I had never had done before on our Teslas.

The quality, to my untrained eyes, is topnotch. Even after four years I don’t notice the PPF. There are no bubbles, or creases or upturned edges. In one instance I brought the car back to complain that the PPF applied to the bonnet had lost its reflective shine after less than one year. 5 Points Auto attributed it to product failure, and replaced the entire film.

Oh, dear. Let me hasten to add the prices I quoted, and the work they did, was for PARTIAL body wraps. In other words, PPF on all frontal facing areas - bonnet, front bumper, headlamps, front fenders, door mirrors and door handles; Ceramic Pro Gold package on the ENTIRE body and all four wheels; and tinting of side windows. All that work used to run from $1800 to $2000 pre COVID. Today, the same package on my Lucid will set me back $4900. The only difference is that I’ll also be having the windshield and roof tinted, which I had never had done before on our Teslas.

The quality, to my untrained eyes, is topnotch. Even after four years I don’t notice the PPF. There are no bubbles, or creases or upturned edges. In one instance I brought the car back to complain that the PPF applied to the bonnet had lost its reflective shine after less than one year. 5 Points Auto attributed it to product failure, and replaced the entire film.
I got a full front ppf, door edges, and rear bumper. Also had the whole car tinted. Total was just over $8k. I'd say you got a bargain!

Hello again, people. (@hydbob @Bobby )

So, I got my car back from 5 Points Auto in Kearny Villa. As the previous three times before, their work was top notch.

However, there was one job they declined to take on - tinting of the front windscreen and the panoramic roof. They believed that they could not reliably manage the tinting job without the risk of creating messy “cutouts” or unsightly seams, especially on the outer edges of the sun visors. Total price tag for the work 5 Points Auto did complete, $4500.00

So I’ve started scouting around. One-of-One is quoting, for the windscreen and panoramic roof, $1350 for their really good stuff; and $1750 for their REALLY, REALLY good stuff.

Is this pricing in line with other tint shops in San Diego willing to tint a Lucid Air GT?

Hello again, people. (@hydbob @Bobby )

So, I got my car back from 5 Points Auto in Kearny Villa. As the previous three times before, their work was top notch.

However, there was one job they declined to take on - tinting of the front windscreen and the panoramic roof. They believed that they could not reliably manage the tinting job without the risk of creating messy “cutouts” or unsightly seams, especially on the outer edges of the sun visors. Total price tag for the work 5 Points Auto did complete, $4500.00

So I’ve started scouting around. One-of-One is quoting, for the windscreen and panoramic roof, $1350 for their really good stuff; and $1750 for their REALLY, REALLY good stuff.

Is this pricing in line with other tint shops in San Diego willing to tint a Lucid Air GT?
I have not done it. I’d love to see one of the local cars that has been tinted to help make my decision. We need a San Diego meet-up!

I have not done it. I’d love to see one of the local cars that has been tinted to help make my decision. We need a San Diego meet-up!

A meetup, I agree. 5 Points Auto did my side windows and rear windscreen, but as I said earlier, not the front windscreen or the roof. I’m 60/40 certain that I’ll be coughing up more blood - I mean, cash - to finish up the tinting. I’ll be looking to make an appointment somewhere, next week.

For those who haven’t gotten the tinting yet but are interested, perhaps we should meet up when I’ve gotten the work done. Weekdays at any time are best for me.

A meetup, I agree. 5 Points Auto did my side windows and rear windscreen, but as I said earlier, not the front windscreen or the roof. I’m 60/40 certain that I’ll be coughing up more blood - I mean, cash - to finish up the tinting. I’ll be looking to make an appointment somewhere, next week.

For those who haven’t gotten the tinting yet but are interested, perhaps we should meet up when I’ve gotten the work done. Weekdays at any time are best for me.
I'm not actually in San Diego, but in Valencia, they tinted all my windows including windshield and top glass in the back for 1500. My windshield was also done in 1 piece. What is the good good stuff? Mine was done in 3M crystalline with is considered top 3.

Also, someone organize a meetup!

I'm not actually in San Diego, but in Valencia, they tinted all my windows including windshield and top glass in the back for 1500. My windshield was also done in 1 piece. What is the good good stuff? Mine was done in 3M crystalline with is considered top 3.

Also, someone organize a meetup!

One-of-One offered their XPel Prime XR Black option, offering “80% to 88% heat reduction”, for $1350. Then they offered their XPel Prime XR Plus option, offering “98% heat reduction” for $1750.

I’m skeptical of course, of the claims of heat reduction. I really won’t know until I’ve already spent my money and had my car tinted.

The prices above were for just the windshield and the roof alone. No side windows or rear window.

Seems like their prices have shot up since they last did work for you. As has every place.

Make a trip up to NorCal. There are plenty of us that got the windshield tinted and its really well done. I can barely see the cutouts where they worked around the sun visor mounts.

Shared route
From Lakeside to Grand Ole BBQ Flinn Springs via CA-67 N.

1 hr 42 min (78 mi)
1 hr 42 min in current traffic
Avoiding tolls

1. Head east on Woodside Ave toward Los Coches Rd
2. Turn left onto Maine Ave
3. Turn left onto Mapleview St
4. Turn right onto CA-67 N
5. Arrive at location: Farmstand 67
6. Head east on CA-67 N toward Shady Bend
7. Arrive at location: Pine Hill Egg Ranch
8. Head southeast on CA-78 E toward Casner Rd
9. Turn right onto Main St
10. Turn right onto CA-79 S
11. Turn left onto K Q Ranch Rd
12. Turn right onto Tall Pine Rd
13. Arrive at location: California Wolf Center
14. Head northwest on Tall Pine Rd toward K Q Ranch Rd
15. Turn left onto K Q Ranch Rd
16. Turn left onto CA-79 S
17. Slight right onto the I-8 ramp to San Diego
18. Take exit 27 for Dunbar Ln
19. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Dunbar Ln
20. Merge onto Dunbar Ln
21. Turn left onto Olde Hwy 80
22. Arrive at location: Grand Ole BBQ Flinn Springs
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/qG6QXMtWfLzKAFYcA

Someone more familiar with the area, would that be a good driving route?

Starting this thread for Lucid owners in San Diego. Hoping to have my GT in the next month or two. There are at least two DE owners in the area, but unsure as to who else might want to connect.
I am new to the forum and expect delivery of my cosmos silver GT in 2 or 3 weeks. I reside in South Carlsbad. Looking for information to get PPF and ceramic coating in the area I have talked with Adonis detailing in Vista. Are there other companies in the area doing this work? Do other owners recommend any tinting at this time?

I am new to the forum and expect delivery of my cosmos silver GT in 2 or 3 weeks. I reside in South Carlsbad. Looking for information to get PPF and ceramic coating in the area I have talked with Adonis detailing in Vista. Are there other companies in the area doing this work? Do other owners recommend any tinting at this time?
If you look at the past few posts, you'll see One of One and Pure Design can do ppf/ceramic/tinting. Five Points did @'Bus driver's ppf/ceramic but didn't want to do the tinting. One of One has done several Lucids. If you have tinting on your past cars, then you will probably want tinting on this one. I didn't get my car until Sept. so I'll probably wait until hotter weather to see if I need tinting. Some people tint purely for cosmetic reasons while others say they definitely need it for heat rejection. Some only do the side windows while some are doing the windshield/roof. On the 90+ degree days, I didn't feel I needed tinting but the sun was pretty much overhead rather than coming in through the side windows.

check with Tintworld at san Marcos; Last time when i was there to get the windows tinted for my other EV, they said they have worked on couple of Lucids. The work is really good on my EV and lifetime warranty on the service/product. I plan to get it done when I get my own AT. I need to confirm in the next 30 days-just got an email couple days ago. I will test drive the GT one more time tomorrow and finalize my design this weekend.

Finally, I have received the email to confirm my design for my AT order. I need to see some external and internal colors in person before I finalize my AT design. Other than the two colors available at the SD studio, where can I take a close look at some other external/internal colors in person? Is there a Lucid owner meet up in and around San Diego that I can crash :D? any tips would be appreciated.

If you look at the past few posts, you'll see One of One and Pure Design can do ppf/ceramic/tinting. Five Points did @'Bus driver's ppf/ceramic but didn't want to do the tinting. One of One has done several Lucids. If you have tinting on your past cars, then you will probably want tinting on this one. I didn't get my car until Sept. so I'll probably wait until hotter weather to see if I need tinting. Some people tint purely for cosmetic reasons while others say they definitely need it for heat rejection. Some only do the side windows while some are doing the windshield/roof. On the 90+ degree days, I didn't feel I needed tinting but the sun was pretty much overhead rather than coming in through the side windows.

This is exactly correct. For the tinting of my front windshield and panoramic roof, I ended up going to One-of-One, on Convoy and Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

The work they did was simply terrific. No seams, no rips, no bubbles, no tears, no anything. And Alex and Jessica were terrific to work with.

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth every penny. I ended up going with a 98% heat rejection film for my windshield, and a cheaper 80%(?) heat rejection tint on my panoramic roof. I don’t anticipate carrying too many passengers back there. All for a total cost of $1750.00

I believe @Bobby was interested in getting this work done too.

One-of-One. Highly Recommended. And you’ll be simply bowled over by their facility.

This is exactly correct. For the tinting of my front windshield and panoramic roof, I ended up going to One-of-One, on Convoy and Clairemont Mesa Boulevard.

The work they did was simply terrific. No seams, no rips, no bubbles, no tears, no anything. And Alex and Jessica were terrific to work with.

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth every penny. I ended up going with a 98% heat rejection film for my windshield, and a cheaper 80%(?) heat rejection tint on my panoramic roof. I don’t anticipate carrying too many passengers back there. All for a total cost of $1750.00

I believe @Bobby was interested in getting this work done too.

One-of-One. Highly Recommended. And you’ll be simply bowled over by their facility.
Yes I will be doing that. Still back and forth on the windshield but definitely the sides. Also PPF for front facing surfaces. Perhaps I can see yours someday to help decide on the windshield.

Yes I will be doing that. Still back and forth on the windshield but definitely the sides. Also PPF for front facing surfaces. Perhaps I can see yours someday to help decide on the windshield.

You are certainly welcome to, and I’d be happy to come up to where you are. I haven’t had my car with tinted front windshield for very long, and lately the sun hasn’t been blazing down on us in San Diego. I’m not able to tell definitively whether the heat rejection-thing is real, but I will say this - since getting the front windshield tinted, I haven’t heard myself muttering, “damn…getting hot in here”, which is something I did quite a few times before getting the tinting.

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison with both our cars are sitting under the sun.

Back