RESOLVED Safety Concern - Car shifts to drive with key outside vehicle

Peegh

I noticed that the car will shift to drive if the key is near the vehicle, but does not necessarily have to be inside the vehicle.

This is a safety issue if you ask me. If I'm standing next to the car and a child is in it, they could shift it to drive.

I did confirm that my bluetooth and phone key were off.

Can anyone else replicate this or is it unique to my vehicle?

I noticed that the car will shift to drive if the key is near the vehicle, but does not necessarily have to be inside the vehicle.

This is a safety issue if you ask me. If I'm standing next to the car and a child is in it, they could shift it to drive.

It is an issue if your child is tall enough to reach the pedal to shift the car into drive.

@mcr16

That would be a safety issue. Mine has never done this. I have to be inside the vehicle and have my foot on the brake pedal to shift into drive or reverse.

Foot needs to be on the brake to shift from park into anything else.

Yes your foot needs to be on the brake to confirm the comments above.

My question was in regards to the key not having to be inside the vehicle.

Am I missing something? What exactly is the big “concern”? This is how any car with a fob would act. It just needs to be close enough for the Bluetooth signal. You set it on the ground right next to the car. My Mercedes and my Ford do the exact same thing.

Yes your foot needs to be on the brake to confirm the comments above.

My question was in regards to the key not having to be inside the vehicle.
I tested this in my minivan, Lexus and Hyundai and it all works the same. Seems to be just the way the keyless fob cars work once it's on. @AirDoll is correct.

I tested this in my minivan, Lexus and Hyundai and it all works the same. Seems to be just the way the keyless fob cars work once it's on. @AirDoll is correct.

Thanks for testing and confirming. I've never noticed it before on any of my other cars so I thought it was odd.

Sounds like it's normal behavior for all cars with keyless based on what you said.

Thanks for testing and confirming. I've never noticed it before on any of my other cars so I thought it was odd.

Sounds like it's normal behavior for all cars with keyless based on what you said.
Well to be fair, we don't normally throw out fobs on the floor before getting into our cars 🤣

Hey it wasn't a set up! I noticed the other day when I was showing my buddy the car. I was standing outside when he sat in the driver's seat and he was able to shift to drive.

I made a video with the key on the floor to clearly show what I had experienced.

Bluetooth does have larger range than most of us think and it tends to bounce around a bit if reflected properly. There is a thread here on vampiric drain as the car can wake up if you come within range. I try to shut off the mobile key and use this faraday box for the key if there are young kids around ...

The potential danger is that somebody could distract a person in the parking lot who is approaching or going away from the car. Keeping that person a car length away creates ample opportunity for a third person to get in and drive away. Lucid could get around this by giving an option to require a PIN if face id fails, regardless of whether a person uses a phone, fob, etc.

The potential danger is that somebody could distract a person in the parking lot who is approaching or going away from the car. Keeping that person a car length away creates ample opportunity for a third person to get in and drive away. Lucid could get around this by giving an option to require a PIN if face id fails, regardless of whether a person uses a phone, fob, etc.
Face ID doesn't really do all that much at this point. I kind of feel like it was a waste of time setting it up, although not really a big one since it didn't take very long. You do set up a PIN, so it doesn't seem like a major thing to have an option where that is required to drive the car. You should add it to the list of improvement requests.
I'm wondering if someone got in the car and drove away how far he could get once he lost the signal from your fob or phone. Once the car was off, he wouldn't be able to restart it. And you would always know where the car is with the app.

The big problem I have with face ID is that it conflicts with easy entry. If I'm in my seated position, the car can identify me. Easy entry has a setting that moves the seat back and down, putting me in a position where the camera can't see enough of me. The other setting does that and additionally tilts the steering wheel up, making it even worse. The only practical way that I could get it to work was to find a steering wheel position that works with both the easy entry position and a seating position to store in my driver profile, and tell easy entry not to move the steering wheel.

Lucid should really do something about it, and I don't know if people have made this specific complaint to them. If the car could move the steering wheel up before a person exits, but once a person gets in and it detects weight, move it down since the person is seated, it would make face ID more reliable.

I also found it impossible to save an alternate view for face ID if I try to do so from the easy entry position, and if I don't use that feature, it defeats the purpose somewhat.

The big problem I have with face ID is that it conflicts with easy entry. If I'm in my seated position, the car can identify me. Easy entry has a setting that moves the seat back and down, putting me in a position where the camera can't see enough of me. The other setting does that and additionally tilts the steering wheel up, making it even worse. The only practical way that I could get it to work was to find a steering wheel position that works with both the easy entry position and a seating position to store in my driver profile, and tell easy entry not to move the steering wheel.
Maybe my car isn't functioning correctly on this, but I have easy entry on and love it. It obviously can't see my face when I get in the car, but that has never stopped the car from working in any way. That's why I was saying I don't the FaceID does all that much.

Maybe my car isn't functioning correctly on this, but I have easy entry on and love it. It obviously can't see my face when I get in the car, but that has never stopped the car from working in any way. That's why I was saying I don't the FaceID does all that much.
It hasn't been a big problem for me either, at least not yet. But that's partly because my wife drove it only once so far to try it out. Profile switching hasn't been an issue. Whether it will be down the road is another issue. My concern is that in the past, there have been times that my wife got back to our car before I did, the car picked up on her fob or phone before mine, and wanted to crush me when I got into the driver seat. With a Lucid, if it recognizes my face whenever I sit in the seat, it won't be a problem. I got around it by making sure that the steering wheel position for easy entry allows for face recognition, but with the problems that I mentioned.

If Lucid solves the problem of face ID not being able to see many or perhaps most faces, which is a reasonable assumption since I'm slightly above average height for a man and women are shorter on average, then it should make face ID work better for most drivers.

Back