Sad goodbye to Luci ...

LucidNC

Verified Owner
Regrettably, we had to say goodbye to Luci.
Earlier this year, Luci was involved in an accident and the insurance companies involved "totaled" her.

The occupants were not injured (despite being hit on the side) and the airbags didn't go off (see photos for exterior and interior-lack-of damage). Truly a testiment to the build quality and safety designed into the car.

NEXT steps:

• Unfortunately, the Vossen wheels, Michelin tires, PPF and ceramic coatings were lost, but I'll be posting my Aero Blades, Pirelli, TPMS wheels/tires, Lucid mats, Lucid all-weather mats, 3D mats, EZ-spare, etc for sale in a little while on the forum (before posting elsewhere) if anyone is interested.
  • I took over my wife's order and welcomed, "Hulk" into our stable.
  • Will revisit Lucid (probably Gravity) later on
  • Eventually, I'll be dormant on this forum [for a while]
GoodbyeLuci.webpIMG_9460.webpIMG_9459.webpIMG_2275.webpHelloHulk.webp

Earlier this year, Luci was involved in an accident and the insurance companies involved "totaled" her.

The occupants were not injured (despite being hit on the side) and the airbags didn't go off (see photos for exterior and interior-lack-of damage). Truly a testiment to the build quality and safety designed into the car.

NEXT steps:

• Unfortunately, the Vossen wheels, Michelin tires, PPF and ceramic coatings were lost, but I'll be posting my Aero Blades, Pirelli, TPMS wheels/tires, Lucid mats, Lucid all-weather mats, 3D mats, EZ-spare, etc for sale in a little while on the forum (before posting elsewhere) if anyone is interested.
View attachment 18817View attachment 18821View attachment 18820View attachment 18819View attachment 18818
Oh noooo! What a damn shame... very sorry to see you go like this. Do come back for Gravity, and enjoy that beautiful HEV!

Man, that sucks. I’m sorry to hear, but I’m glad you were safe! Enjoy the beast!

Lmk about the spare :)

NEXT steps:

• Unfortunately, the Vossen wheels, Michelin tires, PPF, and ceramic coatings were lost, but I'll be posting my Aero Blades, Pirelli, TPMS wheels/tires, Lucid mats, Lucid all-weather mats, 3D mats, EZ-spare, etc for sale in a little while on the forum (before posting elsewhere) if anyone is interested.
View attachment 18817View attachment 18821View attachment 18820View attachment 18819View attachment 18818
Oh wow, that's a big hit on the side. Hope all travelers are safe. I hope the insurance covers the right cost of the car. What was your experience with that given the car's value has got a big hit with the current reduced prices?

NEXT steps:

Bye luci, i think i saw luci on copart a few weeks ago

NEXT steps:

Oh man, so sorry for your loss!!

First, glad to hear nobody got hurt. Second, sad to see you and Luci go. Third, am I alone in being astonished that this amount of damage was sufficient to justify totaling the car?!?! No wonder the insurance rates are so high for owners. The repair costs must be out of control. There is no question this is a supremely engineered machine. But come on, Lucid. Accidents will and do happen. To make it cost prohibitive to repair leads to it being cost prohibitive to own for the vast majority of the population. Hopefully they have factored this into the engineering of Gravity and future vehicles. Because if the model 3 competitor they have hinted about has insurance rates of even half of the Air, they are never going to be able to sell the number of vehicles they (and we) want.

Bye luci, i think i saw luci on copart a few weeks ago
Yup .. it was on there .. (even had my radio station still "on") ..

only ~3000 miles 😢

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's a big hit on the side. Hope all travelers are safe. I hope the insurance covers the right cost of the car. What was your experience with that given the car's value has got a big hit with the current reduced prices?
Thankfully, no one was injured (even in the other car). My insurance paid out the "agreed-upon" value (per my policy) .. not sure what they got out of the other party's insurance.
So, no, I wasn't affected too badly by the drop in prices, BUT, the car only had 3000 miles on it and I had PPF/Ceramic-coating added as well as new custom wheels added on a few months before, so still sux.

Third, am I alone in being astonished that this amount of damage was sufficient to justify totaling the car?!?!

I think it may have something to do with where the hit occurred. There's an aluminum "horseshoe" that transverses the front axle. It's a major structural component that, if bent beyond its spec tolerance, cannot be repaired.

Our car, which suffered relatively little visible body damage when someone turned in front of us at an intersection, was totaled because this horseshoe had been bent out of tolerance.

. . . the car only had 3000 miles on it and I had PPF/Ceramic-coating added as well as new custom wheels added on a few months before, so still sux.

That certainly is a bummer. Our car had 17,000 miles on it and, although insurance covered the cost of a replacement car, I had to eat the loss of a $3,000 ceramic coating and a $10,000 radar/laser detector.

I was such a fan of the car that I located an identical car on the used market to replace it . . . but with 12,000 less miles on the odometer. (That's how I went from Dream Edition No. 154 to Dream Edition No. 395.)

First, glad to hear nobody got hurt. Second, sad to see you and Luci go. Third, am I alone in being astonished that this amount of damage was sufficient to justify totaling the car?!?! No wonder the insurance rates are so high for owners. The repair costs must be out of control. There is no question this is a supremely engineered machine. But come on, Lucid. Accidents will and do happen. To make it cost prohibitive to repair leads to it being cost prohibitive to own for the vast majority of the population. Hopefully they have factored this into the engineering of Gravity and future vehicles. Because if the model 3 competitor they have hinted about has insurance rates of even half of the Air, they are never going to be able to sell the number of vehicles they (and we) want.
That was my reaction as well. I was surprised that it was totaled (although watching the tow truck driver pull the car up w/o putting it in Neutral and hearing all kinds of nasty sounds and leakage occur, I was pretty sure it was going to be a big cost). The battery wasn't damaged at all and I thought it could be fixed at a local auto body shop, but apparently there are very few body shops that will touch EVs. Also, I was told that a previous client had to wait 8+ months for parts from Lucid, so w/ the cost of the repair at "specialized" shop, the cost and time for new parts, and the added loss-due-to-accident that they would've had to pay out, it was easier for them to total the car.

Does make me a bit nervous about all of my EVs. (a friend of mine's Porsche Taycan was hit in the back .. minor damage, but it still had to go to the same, "specialized" body shop and had to wait 4 months for his car to get repaired, so even large, traditional manufacturers seem to have similar issues).

**edit .. just saw @hmp10 's reply above (regarding the aluminum horseshoe .. perhaps that occurred w/ mine as well.

Does make me a bit nervous about all of my EVs. (a friend of mine's Porsche Taycan was hit in the back .. minor damage, but it still had to go to the same, "specialized" body shop and had to wait 4 months for his car to get repaired, so even large, traditional manufacturers seem to have similar issues).

And it's not just EVs. It happens with any low-volume, high-tech car. I had an almost-new 2010 Audi R8 V10 coupe that got pushed into a side curb when someone turning out of a mall parking lot sailed across 5 lanes to hit me. The damage, which centered on the front suspension, was relatively minor but such that one component had to be replaced before determining whether another component was still in spec. All the parts had to come from Germany, and this progressive exploration of the damage stretched into months. Finally, when the suspension was back in spec, they noticed the front wheel had also been bent . . . and the factory was out of stock.

At that point, I got the insurance company to strike a deal where the dealer took the damaged car on trade, and I paid the difference to drive off in a 2011 R8 V10 Spyder. (As with the Lucid, I so loved the R8 that I wanted another.)

Unfortunately, these scenarios are the price one pays for being an early adopter or liking unique cars.

I do hope you rejoin the Lucid fold when the Gravity comes out, @LucidNC. I've driven Model S's for almost nine years (currently have a Plaid) and Lucid Airs for over two years. The Lucid is a structurally stronger and better built car. By 10,000 miles, our Plaid had developed body squeaks and groans. We've now had the third piece of covering come off the steering yoke and, due to parts shortages, are still waiting to get it replaced. Our first Air racked up 17,000 miles, and our replacement Air has crossed 15,000. Both cars were/are solid as rocks with nary a sign of wear and tear.

Thankfully, no one was injured (even in the other car). My insurance paid out the "agreed-upon" value (per my policy) .. not sure what they got out of the other party's insurance.
So, no, I wasn't affected too badly by the drop in prices, BUT, the car only had 3000 miles on it and I had PPF/Ceramic-coating added as well as new custom wheels added on a few months before, so still sux.
What a bummer and what a great argument for "agreed-upon value" for an expensive luxury car like a Lucid. The depreciation hit on regular insurance would have been huge.

BTW..."Hulk" hardly does justice to your new ride. On the original Hummer people used to say that you just drove it from gas station to gas station. With this one, I guess you will be visiting many fast chargers although GM did give the beast a humongous battery pack. The Lucid showroom in Scottsdale is at the Fashion Square mall; in late December/early January the mall had a new Hummer EV on display by the entrance to the Nieman Marcus store. I like a small car (hence driving the Genesis GV60P) but I thought the Hummer EV actually looked very nice. Can you parallel park this thing?

BTW..."Hulk" hardly does justice to your new ride. On the original Hummer people used to say that you just drove it from gas station to gas station. With this one, I guess you will be visiting many fast chargers although GM did give the beast a humongous battery pack. The Lucid showroom in Scottsdale is at the Fashion Square mall; in late December/early January the mall had a new Hummer EV on display by the entrance to the Nieman Marcus store. I like a small car (hence driving the Genesis GV60P) but I thought the Hummer EV actually looked very nice. Can you parallel park this thing?
lol .. it is a Beast!

It is actually very easy to drive (feels smaller than it is) and the 4-wheel steering is impressive (the turning radius is smaller than our Honda CR-V) .. Along w/ the 18 cameras, Parking hasn't been an issue... yet [that said, I've chosen to take other cars when driving downtown ☺️]

As for the range, nothing like the Lucid .. then again, not many EVs are. The 314mi range is fairly accurate and I know another owner that does a Charlotte, NC to Philadelphia, PA trip regularly and he said it takes 2 stops like his old EQS. I don't plan on taking too many road trips w/ it, so shouldn't be a big deal (but I am looking forward to getting the NACS adapter)

Hope to see you in Gravity soon. You could also consider a used lucid if the insurance does not cover the cost of a new one. Very glad to hear that no one is hurt.

Man, that sucks. I’m sorry to hear, but I’m glad you were safe! Enjoy the beast!

Lmk about the spare :)
I'll try and see if there are any local Lucid Air owners that want the whole-kit-and-kaboodle first ...

Posted my "bundle" on this forum's Marketplace (here)

🤞

Agreed Upon Value? Are you an Attorney? Did you have a special clause in your insurance policy? Insurance usually pays the wholesale value which for a GT is around 80K these days. Search ok KBB says trade in price is 70-75K.
Glad to hear you were not affected physically and Financially.

Agreed Upon Value? Are you an Attorney? Did you have a special clause in your insurance policy? Insurance usually pays the wholesale value which for a GT is around 80K these days. Search ok KBB says trade in price is 70-75K.
Glad to hear you were not affected physically and Financially.
There are some insurers that offer agreed upon value. Hagerty and Pure come immediately to mind.

Back