Rotor Safety Hazard

Lucidman87

Cars
Lucid
Today, March 3, 2023, I took my AGT in for a routine tire rotation. Much to my surprise and shock, the technician summoned for me and showed me that the bolt that is designed to hold the rotor in place had come off and was sitting inside the center bore/ bore circle. Apparently, the bolt worked it way loose over time. The bolt and/or screw was stripped and could not be reattached. Thank goodness I took the vehicle in for the tire rotation and truly blessed I wasn’t involved in an accident, or worse.

Of course, I was advised of the extreme safety risks associated with driving the vehicle in this condition and advised not to drive the vehicle until it was repaired. So, I am in a rental and waiting on a call from Lucid. Anyone else experienced this unfortunate safety hazard?

Attachments

• IMG_4227.jpeg
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
The first picture is from a different tire showing how the bold should be attached. The second picture is of the tire where the bolt had come off.

Woah. And usually there is a cotton pin to keep the bolt from completely backing out too.

Not sure how difficult it would be for the half shaft to completely fall out of the hub though.

Today, March 3, 2023, I took my AGT in for a routine tire rotation. Much to my surprise and shock, the technician summoned for me and showed me that the bolt that is designed to hold the rotor in place had come off and was sitting inside the center bore/ bore circle. Apparently, the bolt worked it way loose over time. The bolt and/or screw was stripped and could not be reattached. Thank goodness I took the vehicle in for the tire rotation and truly blessed I wasn’t involved in an accident, or worse.

Of course, I was advised of the extreme safety risks associated with driving the vehicle in this condition and advised not to drive the vehicle until it was repaired. So, I am in a rental and waiting on a call from Lucid. Anyone else experienced this unfortunate safety hazard?
You mean May 3rd?

This is the first I’ve heard of this happening. Glad they caught it! Given the staggering number of 21” tires needing to be replaced, I’m sure if this was likely to occur or a recall worthy defect, it would have been noticed and reported before. I’m wondering if it was a flaw in assembly.

Sorry, just ran across this thread. What the tech told you was total bullshit. The tiny screw is there to only hold the rotor on to the axle hub when to take the wheel off the studs. It's the five 14.5 mm lug nuts and studs that hold your rotor to the axle, not a tiny screw. the tiny screw just holds the rotor on the axle when you take the wheel off. Even without it, the rotor is sitting on five studs and clamped by the caliper

When you rebuild disk brakes, first you take off the wheel, then slide off the caliper, then take out the tiny rotor screw, then you can slide the rotor off the studs. Most times that stupid screw is corroded to the rotor and axle. PB Blaster.

Years ago, there was no tiny used. When you were rebuilding disk brakes decades ago, after you slid a new rotor on the studs, you used a lug nut on one stud to hold the disk tight against the axle while you grappled with reattaching the caliper.

Sorry, just ran across this thread. What the tech told you was total bullshit. The tiny screw is there to only hold the rotor on to the axle hub when to take the wheel off the studs. It's the five 14.5 mm lug nuts and studs that hold your rotor to the axle, not a tiny screw. the tiny screw just holds the rotor on the axle when you take the wheel off. Even without it, the rotor is sitting on five studs and clamped by the caliper

When you rebuild disk brakes, first you take off the wheel, then slide off the caliper, then take out the tiny rotor screw, then you can slide the rotor off the studs. Most times that stupid screw is corroded to the rotor and axle. PB Blaster.

Years ago, there was no tiny used. When you were rebuilding disk brakes decades ago, after you slid a new rotor on the studs, you used a lug nut on one stud to hold the disk tight against the axle while you grappled with reattaching the caliper.
I think he's referring to the axle nut, not the rotor retaining screw.

I think he's referring to the axle nut, not the rotor retaining screw.
OMG, you are correct. My old mind could not fathom that. I have never seen that happen. I agree with the comment above about the half shaft flopping in and out. Damn scary. QC failure in assembly. Too bad we never learned how it turned out.

Sorry for not reading carefully. You can delete my post.

Back