Road Trip: The Good, the Bad, and the . . . ugh

Saw this as well, I feel like it's a two touch incase someone accidentally pushes it.

Notice how the Frunk and Trunk buttons from the app have that extra confirmation, "you sure you want to open it?"
Whereas I think the mirrors are something you can fold while moving, so maybe there's just lack of prompt? idk
That’s a good point, nothing else seems to require a double tap. I’m ok with that. I have opened my frunk at a stop light before when the car was in drive but brake hold. That was a few software iterations ago, not sure if that’s still a problem? If it is, they should DEFINITELY implement the “are you sure?” prompt on the pilot panel. That way I don’t have to lie to the person next to me saying “no that’s not an accident, my car is like Herbie the Love Bug, it’s just saying hi while we’re stopped!”

My husband wanted to take it on a 1500 mile road trip, but I talked him into taking his Accord instead. After reading about all the issues, I didn't feel like it was a reliable thing to do. Gas stations are just way more common than EA chargers, or any chargers for that matter. For around my house though, EA is fine. There are two charger locations within 10 miles. We tried one and didn't have any issues, once we figured out what we were doing. I'll probably try the other one next week.

My husband wanted to take it on a 1500 mile road trip, but I talked him into taking his Accord instead. After reading about all the issues, I didn't feel like it was a reliable thing to do. Gas stations are just way more common than EA chargers, or any chargers for that matter. For around my house though, EA is fine. There are two charger locations within 10 miles. We tried one and didn't have any issues, once we figured out what we were doing. I'll probably try the other one next week.
FWIW I’ve done many road trips in the Lucid, only once did I sweat about not being able to charge but it was actually Chargepoint that screwed me, not EA, and it was my arrogance in assuming I could skip a charge I wanted to do just to be safe. If you use PlugShare combined with ABRP you can look into whether there are EA alternatives for fast charging and you may be able to take the Lucid instead of the Honda. Unfortunately you cannot be as spontaneous in the car as you can with Tesla or ICE cars, but at least most places have a backup option as long as you plan well. I’d recommend reading @DJL accounting of his road trips if you have time here, really well written and informative about the Lucid road trip experience!

On long trips, given the probability of having to skip a charging stop, we never let the SOC drop bellow the distance needed to skip a stop. Basically, we are treating the DEP as a 300 mile range car, with a 100 mile emergency reserve. I have not calculated the time added to a trip, but clearly not as much as going to a dead EA station with 5% SOC and the next EA station 70Miles away.

The problem is what to replace it with. I have become addicted to hyper-powerful EV's but want a sedan that can accommodate four aging adults comfortably. The Tesla Model S Plaid has the power but not the space or refinement of the Lucid. The EQS has the space but not the power, and I find the exterior odd and the interior comically awful. The Taycan has most of the performance but not the interior room.

While a Model X Plaid might have been a marginal alternative, as more of Elon Musk's character emerges I have decided never to buy another product associated with him. Even that aside, the three Teslas I have bought (two for us and one for my brother) don't even get into the ballpark with Lucid in terms of structural solidity, ride, handling, and interior space and refinement.
Sorry to hear of your problems - I suggest you test drive a BMW I-4 its an absolutely beautiful car - quick, sleek and typical BMW Luxury interior plus there are dealers and parts in every major city. I presently own a I4 and was looking at a Lucid as a 2nd car but right now there is too much doubt with Lucid regarding projected range, workmanship and holding value for my investment. There is far too many on the used market.

Regardless, I hope you find something you like . . . Mike

A-BMW-1.jpg

A BMW-2.jpg

A BMW INT.jpeg

Sorry to hear of your problems - I suggest you test drive a BMW I-4 its an absolutely beautiful car - quick, sleek and typical BMW Luxury interior plus there are dealers and parts in every major city. I presently own a I4 and was looking at a Lucid as a 2nd car but right now there is too much doubt with Lucid regarding projected range, workmanship and holding value for my investment. There is far too many on the used market.

View attachment 10293

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295
Wow, I guess I'm wondering why you are here on this forum and not on the BMW i4 Forum??? Also, my friend has an i4 and there really isn't that much room at all inside compared with the Lucid. The i4 has very limited luggage space so not viable for a trip with four adults plus the adults in the back seat better not be too big. Lastly, I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but for me I would not come close to describing the i4 as "beautiful". Not to mention the range and also I believe there was a major recall on the i4??

This is an old post you quoted in what seems to be an advertisement for BMW.

At the time, my issues revolved around two things: Lucid's wonky software and the shabby state of CCS charging, especially Electrify America. Otherwise, now as then, I still find the Lucid the finest balance of power, handling, ride, comfort, and luxury I have ever owned (and I've owned lots of expensive high-performance cars).

In the intervening months since my post, Lucid's software has continued to improve. Although still not quite there, it is now more a niggle than a serious impediment to the car's enjoyment.

And, while CCS charging is little improved, it would be the same issue with a BMW EV . . . except that the problem would be worse due to the BMW's shorter range.

I also can't resist adding that the BMW busy dashboard in your photos looks more like the dashboard of my friend's new Bolt EUV than Lucid's sleek, elegant modernist design exercise:

IMG_7815.jpg

View attachment 10293

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295
Hideous! and I'm being nice. Look at how cramped just the front looks? BMW's same cramped interior is what kept me from buying an i8 a few years ago.

Wow, I guess I'm wondering why you are here on this forum and not on the BMW i4 Forum??? Also, my friend has an i4 and there really isn't that much room at all inside compared with the Lucid. The i4 has very limited luggage space so not viable for a trip with four adults plus the adults in the back seat better not be too big. Lastly, I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but for me I would not come close to describing the i4 as "beautiful". Not to mention the range and also I believe there was a major recall on the i4??
Agree. Also, you left out that what he calls "luxury" is not. I had a 3 series (this is essentially a part of the 3 series) and I hated sitting on the rock hard Dakota "leather". BMW won't even offer an option to upgrade to Nappa or Merino leather. My next BMW was a 5 series to a large extent for that reason. BMW definitely makes luxury cars but the 4 series is not one of them.

The I4 is a decent effort at an electric car. But it is not a competitor to the Lucid (too small, too little range, crappy materials, unnecessary drive tunnel. no frunk, etc.). But it will handle well and the software is mostly mature.

View attachment 10293

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295
Definitely the Value and now with Tesla reducing the base price of the Model-S even more so. Will be getting real interesting. Saw another AGT on Sale at a BMW Dealer for under 120K

Saw another AGT on Sale at a BMW Dealer for under 120K

I sometimes wonder whether these are really trade-ins or whether dealers acquire certain cars to put on their lots to create the impression that the dealer's offerings are more appealing.

German Honda, our local Honda dealer, has had Model S Plaids, Corvettes, Porsche Taycans, and even a Ferrari on their lot recently, placed front and center at a huge intersection of 6-lane roads. Somehow I get the feeling that these weren't cars that were traded in for a Honda.

And a local Mercedes dealership has a special showroom set up with a Model S Plaid, a Taycan, a Lucid Air GT, and an Audi eTron on display. Interestingly enough, there wasn't an EQS to be seen anywhere. I guess they were taking in so many EV trades that they ran out of EQS inventory.

These BMW's look like the same interior copy and pasted over all their models.

My cousin has an M5 from like 10 years ago and I swear the center dial, and most of the aesthetics never changes. Super bland

These BMW's look like the same interior copy and pasted over all their models.

My cousin has an M5 from like 10 years ago and I swear the center dial, and most of the aesthetics never changes. Super bland
I totally disagree. I think the 5 Series/X5 and above have beautiful interiors and really well made. Germans do an awesome job on interiors, just have to be in the right model.

Definitely the Value and now with Tesla reducing the base price of the Model-S even more so. Will be getting real interesting. Saw another AGT on Sale at a BMW Dealer for under 120K
And you are a Lucid Owner?? Or are you just here to promote Teslas?

I totally disagree. I think the 5 Series/X5 and above have beautiful interiors and really well made. Germans do an awesome job on interiors, just have to be in the right model.
So maybe you should trade in your Tesla and buy a BMW?? Not sure why you are on this forum??

So maybe you should trade in your Tesla and buy a BMW?? Not sure why you are on this forum??
Are you kidding me? How did my comment come across as rude or offend anyone?

Some people on this forum are unbelievable and instead of commenting should move on, which is the kind, proper thing to do and not so rude.

I am on this forum, as I have a reserved a Pure and probably will upgrade to Touring. Does that not make me able to participate in this forum or is this an owner only forum and if it is, it should be treated as much. Just wow. Grow up!

Are you kidding me? How did my comment come across as rude or offend anyone?

Some people on this forum are unbelievable and instead of commenting should move on, which is the kind, proper thing to do and not so rude.

I am on this forum, as I have a reserved a Pure and probably will upgrade to Touring. Does that not make me able to participate in this forum or is this an owner only forum and if it is, it should be treated as much. Just wow. Grow up!
Well assuming you in fact do have a Pure on order, then I apologize. I'm just very tired of so many non owners or people who are here with their own agendas posting information of little/no value to most who come here for information on Lucid cars. I have owned four Porsches, two Mercedes, a BMW, and years ago a Volkswagen and I agree the Germans do build nice cars. But what does that have to do with information regarding Lucid cars that people come here to find out. I don't believe I said you are rude, just questioned why you were promoting BMW cars on a Lucid forum.

Well assuming you in fact do have a Pure on order, then I apologize. I'm just very tired of so many non owners or people who are here with their own agendas posting information of little/no value to most who come here for information on Lucid cars. I have owned four Porsches, two Mercedes, a BMW, and years ago a Volkswagen and I agree the Germans do build nice cars. But what does that have to do with information regarding Lucid cars that people come here to find out. I don't believe I said you are rude, just questioned why you were promoting BMW cars on a Lucid forum.
I was not, but if you read the post I responded too, then that would explain why. I just can’t stand when people post inaccurate or false information., which is why I mentioned BMW.

I get why you are tired of that, as I get tired of it too, especially when some people like me are so close to getting a Lucid Air and am being positive and trying to learn as much as I can. 🙂

View attachment 10293

View attachment 10294

View attachment 10295

Anachronistic, antediluvian, stodgy, passé, uninspired, traditional, reiterative...how many synonyms can I think of for "dated"?

Back