hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
We just got back from a 4-day road trip. This was our second days-long stint with our Zenith Red Dream Edition Performance over the past year, and I'm disappointed to say the gremlins aren't yet vanquished.

First, let me say that the car remains a silken beast on the road: immense power, superb handling, loads of room, and coddling luxury. When I'm driving this car and everything is working as intended, there is literally nothing I would rather be doing and no car I would rather be doing it in. But, on with the show . . .

The Day Before Departure

After almost three weeks in the Riviera Beach Service Center for the tow hook recall and replacement of the chipped backlit logo at the leading edge of the hood -- and two missed return dates -- Lucid finally got the car back to me at 1:20 on the Sunday afternoon before our 7:00 departure the next morning. I was relieved to find the after-market radar system still worked properly after the bumper removal. However, the car had a new ding on the fender flare above the right rear wheel and two small scratches on the right rear passenger door, at the same level as the ding. I got the flatbed driver to photograph the damage before I moved the car.

Day 1

First Electrify America charging stop at Bushnell, FL. Everything went well.

Second EA charging stop at Brunswick, GA. Our car charged fine. Another Zenith Red Dream Edition (Range model) pulled in beside us. It was driven by a contract driver who had picked the car up in Boca Grande, FL to drive it up to Boston for the owner. The car had less than 800 miles on it. He left Boca Grand thinking the 500+ miles of range showing on the dashboard was what he would get. He was in a panic, as he was down to 16 miles of remaining range after having driven only 360 miles. He plugged into the EA charger to find that it did not recognize the car. We spent a while with him explaining what highway speeds do to range in electric cars and trying to coach him through his conversation with EA. (I also warned him that driving to Boston on the summer tires he had on the car was dangerous and why. His response was, "well, it's just going to be parked when it arrives.") As we needed to get back on the road after almost an hour at the charging station, we left him still on the phone with EA and still unable to charge the car.

Day 2

Toured Savannah and the islands, ending the day at the EA charger in Pooler, GA. It was raining hard. Our car added 11% of charge before the charging session stopped. We could not restart it so moved the car to another charge post. The car charged for a few seconds, then stopped. This time the plug would not release from the car, so we had to open the hood in a driving rain to manually release the plug. We moved to a third post. Same thing, so this time we called Electrify America. After 79:11 minutes on the phone with them, trying two other charge cables (and opening the hood twice more to release the plugs), sitting through two station resets by EA, they finally said they would do a "remote start". That worked, but they couldn't give me a credible reason for why they hadn't done that 79 minutes earlier. During our tries at five different cables, we got messages ranging from "payment denied" to "authentication failure" to "charging stopped" to "operation error". While all this was going on, a VW ID.4 pulled up to the chargers, and he started having the same problem we were having. When the EA person I had on the phone told me she checked and all the cars that had been at that station had charged properly, I told her about the VW. At first she said that could not be right, at which point I blew my stack. She put me on hold and came back with an admission that the VW's session had stopped on him just short of his receiving 1 kW of juice. When we left he, too, was shouting into the phone at EA. Did I mention that this was all in a driving downpour?

Day 3

Drove to Charleston and toured the town. Then drove 12 miles through dense traffic to get to the EA charger in North Charleston. We we arrived, there was a Rivian R1T, two Kia EV6's, and a VW ID.4 waiting to charge. The entire site was down while a crew performed a "maintenance" visit in the middle of the afternoon. Between waiting for that to finish and charging our car, we once again spent over two hours at an EA station just to keep the car on the road.

During the Charleston visit, the car's software became progressively more wonky. Since one of the recent updates we had already developed a problem with the Nav System failing to mute music when the system was giving a verbal instruction. Sitting at a stoplight, the car began to creep forward. Since our first Tesla in 2015, I have never used the creep function, as one of the things I like best about regen braking is not having to keep your foot on the brake during a stop. I checked the "drive settings" menu and found creep had been enabled. I scratched my head and turned it off. At the next stoplight, the car remained stationary with my foot off the brake pedal. But at the next stoplight, the car creeped forward again. I went back to the "drive settings" menu and found creep had enabled itself again. This continued throughout the rest of the trip.

Upon returning to Savannah later that night, my partner needed to get out of the car to open a garage door at the inn where we were staying. There was little traffic, so I put the car in park and waited in the street for the door to open. When it did, I could not engage drive. After a couple of attempts, I got a screen asking for my PIN. I couldn't remember it and had to reboot the car sitting in the middle of the street to get it moving again.

Day 4

Took luggage to the car. When I opened the doors, the Pilot Screen and the right screen of the Glass Cockpit lit up, but the main driver's binnacle screen and the left screen in the Glass Cockpit remained black. I could not move the car. I closed it and went back into the inn to let it reset. When I returned, the same thing happened. So I started checking to see what features on the operating screens were functioning properly. I could access the Nav system and music selection, but there was no audio. After another reboot, I got audio back but found the volume could not be controlled with either the dashboard or the steering wheel button. I called Lucid. After two hard reboots (pressing the brake pedal while holding down the "X" and the microphone buttons on the steering wheel for 20 seconds) and a soft reboot (left turn signal and exit the car), the car finally returned to service. This exercise delayed our departure by almost an hour.

Stopped at EA charging station in Brunswick again. Our car charged fine. Then another Zenith Red Air -- this time a GT -- pulled up next to us. The owner (who is an avid reader of this forum) had picked the car up the day before in Tysons Corner, VA. (He had waited until the 20" wheels became available, and they looked great.) He was driving down to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and this was his third charging stop. Just as with the first Zenith Red Air we saw at this same station 3 days earlier, the charger would not recognize his car. When we left, he was on the phone initiating his own special acquaintance with the gruesome devil that is EA.

Conclusion

Between the gremlins that still plague Lucid software and the train wreck that is Electrify America, this is not yet a suitable touring car for us and will probably remain in the garage the next time we plan a road trip. Our Model S Plaid rides like a buckboard, I hate the yoke, the handling is twitchy, and the road noise just adds to the creaks and groans of the body . . . but charging it is hassle-free, and it hasn't yet left anyone wondering if it'll get them back home.

As much as the Lucid made the actual driving on this trip a real pleasure, everything else automotive-related about the trip was a shit show.

There were moments when I was sitting in the inn garage on hold with Lucid Customer Service that I wondered whether I should just call Hertz to get a rental car and tell Lucid where they could pick the Air up while I got a lemon law complaint started.

I'm sorry we took the trip, as I so don't want not to love this car for the incredible driving machine and passenger conveyance that it is.

Follow up:

Just got a PM from the Lucid owner who was having trouble at the Brunswick EA station this morning (Day 4 of our trip). He moved to the charger we used successfully and still had a problem charging. Even though he was down to 60 miles of range remaining, the 350 kW charger was giving him only 22 kW of juice. He also encountered the same problem at his next EA charging stop in Port St. Lucie, FL.

This is terrible. EA is terrible and I'm grateful I've only ever been delayed for 10 minutes at an EA station. Sorry to hear about your troubles @hmp10 and anonymous ZR GT owner who's here...

We just got back from a 4-day road trip. This was our second days-long stint with our Zenith Red Dream Edition Performance over the past year, and I'm disappointed to say the gremlins aren't yet vanquished.

First, let me say that the car remains a silken beast on the road: immense power, superb handling, loads of room, and coddling luxury. When I'm driving this car and everything is working as intended, there is literally nothing I would rather be doing and no car I would rather be doing it in. But, on with the show . . .

The Day Before Departure

After almost three weeks in the Riviera Beach Service Center for the tow hook recall and replacement of the chipped backlit logo at the leading edge of the hood -- and two missed return dates -- Lucid finally got the car back to me at 1:20 on the Sunday afternoon before our 7:00 departure the next morning. I was relieved to find the after-market radar system still worked properly after the bumper removal. However, the car had a new ding on the fender flare above the right rear wheel and two small scratches on the right rear passenger door, at the same level as the ding. I got the flatbed driver to photograph the damage before I moved the car.

Day 1

Second EA charging stop at Brunswick, GA. Our car charged fine. Another Zenith Red Dream Edition (Range model) pulled in beside us. It was driven by a contract driver who had picked the car up in Boca Grande, FL to drive it up to Boston for the owner. The car had less than 800 miles on it. He left Boca Grand thinking the 500+ miles of range showing on the dashboard was what he would get. He was in a panic, as he was down to 16 miles of remaining range after having driven only 360 miles. He plugged into the EA charger to find that it did not recognize the car. We spent a while with him explaining what highway speeds do to range in electric cars and trying to coach him through his conversation with EA. (I also warned him that driving to Boston on the summer tires he had on the car was dangerous and why. His response was, "well, it's just going to be parked when it arrives.") As we needed to get back on the road after almost an hour at the charging station, we left him still on the phone with EA and still unable to charge the car.

Day 2

Toured Savannah and the islands, ending the day at the EA charger in Pooler, GA. It was raining hard. Our car added 11% of charge before the charging session stopped. We could not restart it so moved the car to another charge post. The car charged for a few seconds, then stopped. This time the plug would not release from the car, so we had to open the hood in a driving rain to manually release the plug. We moved to a third post. Same thing, so this time we called Electrify America. After 79:11 minutes on the phone with them, trying two other charge cables (and opening the hood twice more to release the plugs), sitting through two station resets by EA, they finally said they would do a "remote start". That worked, but they couldn't give me a credible reason for why they hadn't done that 79 minutes earlier. During our tries at five different cables, we got messages ranging from "payment denied" to "authentication failure" to "charging stopped" to "operation error". While all this was going on, a VW ID.4 pulled up to the chargers, and he started having the same problem we were having. When the EA person I had on the phone told me she checked and all the cars that had been at that station had charged properly, I told her about the VW. At first she said that could not be right, at which point I blew my stack. She put me on hold and came back with an admission that the VW's session had stopped on him just short of his receiving 1 kW of juice. When we left he, too, was shouting into the phone at EA. Did I mention that this was all in a driving downpour?

Day 3

Drove to Charleston and toured the town. Then drove 12 miles through dense traffic to get to the EA charger in North Charleston. We we arrived, there was a Rivian R1T, two Kia EV6's, and a VW ID.4 waiting to charge. The entire site was down while a crew performed a "maintenance" visit in the middle of the afternoon. Between waiting for that to finish and charging our car, we once again spent over two hours at an EA station just to keep the car on the road.

During the Charleston visit, the car's software became progressively more wonky. Since one of the recent updates we had already developed a problem with the Nav System failing to mute music when the system was giving a verbal instruction. Sitting at a stoplight, the car began to creep forward. Since our first Tesla in 2015, I have never used the creep function, as one of the things I like best about regen braking is not having to keep your foot on the brake during a stop. I checked the "drive settings" menu and found creep had been enabled. I scratched my head and turned it off. At the next stoplight, the car remained stationary with my foot off the brake pedal. But at the next stoplight, the car creeped forward again. I went back to the "drive settings" menu and found creep had enabled itself again. This continued throughout the rest of the trip.

Upon returning to Savannah later that night, my partner needed to get out of the car to open a garage door at the inn where we were staying. There was little traffic, so I put the car in park and waited in the street for the door to open. When it did, I could not engage drive. After a couple of attempts, I got a screen asking for my PIN. I couldn't remember it and had to reboot the car sitting in the middle of the street to get it moving again.

Day 4

Took luggage to the car. When I opened the doors, the Pilot Screen and the right screen of the Glass Cockpit lit up, but the main driver's binnacle screen and the left screen in the Glass Cockpit remained black. I could not move the car. I closed it and went back into the inn to let it reset. When I returned, the same thing happened. So I started checking to see what features on the operating screens were functioning properly. I could access the Nav system and music selection, but there was no audio. After another reboot, I got audio back but found the volume could not be controlled with either the dashboard or the steering wheel button. I called Lucid. After two hard reboots (pressing the brake pedal while holding down the "X" and the microphone buttons on the steering wheel for 20 seconds) and a soft reboot (left turn signal and exit the car), the car finally returned to service. This exercise delayed our departure by almost an hour.

Stopped at EA charging station in Brunswick again. Our car charged fine. Then another Zenith Red Air -- this time a GT -- pulled up next to us. The owner (who is an avid reader of this forum) had picked the car up the day before in Tysons Corner, VA. (He had waited until the 20" wheels became available, and they looked great.) He was driving down to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and this was his third charging stop. Just as with the first Zenith Red Air we saw at this same station 3 days earlier, the charger would not recognize his car. When we left, he was on the phone initiating his own special acquaintance with the gruesome devil that is EA.

Conclusion

Between the gremlins that still plague Lucid software and the train wreck that is Electrify America, this is not yet a suitable touring car for us and will probably remain in the garage the next time we plan a road trip. Our Model S Plaid rides like a buckboard, I hate the yoke, the handling is twitchy, and the road noise just adds to the creaks and groans of the body . . . but charging it is hassle-free, and it hasn't yet left anyone wondering if it'll get them back home.

As much as the Lucid made the actual driving on this trip a real pleasure, everything else automotive-related about the trip was a shit show.

There were moments when I was sitting in the inn garage on hold with Lucid Customer Service that I wondered whether I should just call Hertz to get a rental car and tell Lucid where they could pick the Air up while I got a lemon law complaint started.

I'm sorry we took the trip, as I so don't want not to love this car for the incredible driving machine and passenger conveyance that it is.
Sorry to hear your troubles. I got my agt 10/14/2022 and was on the fence all the way until when i had to pay in full due to all reports of inferior reliability. I finally decided to buy it but also not for it to become my primary car and not to use it on long trips unless interuptions would be ok, which seldom would be the case. I use it around town and charge at home. It was in the lucid service center for 34 straight days for various repairs a few weeks after delivery. It going back in for re-repairs in a few weeks. Lately, it's started to say something along the lines "drive unit fault, contact customer care" to the left on the main display when i'll start a drive. I just take another car and let agt repair itself, which it's done do far or try lock/unlock the car and drive anyway. Since i budgeted up front with (lots of) troubles and limited use, my story is ok but really hoped for more. My main impresstion is it's a very high maintenance object requiring lots of owner attention, and i didnt budget with that.

Yeah @hmp10 , your car’s infotainment in particular seems to be perpetually doing bizarre things, this has been a recurring issue for you. You got the bad unicorn, not the good one. Sorry. And also did you try EVGo or Chargepoint or EvConnect or Volta? For future trips for me I’m going to give up on EA if possible unless it’s a site I’ve had consistent success at before. EA is genuinely not up to the task of keeping EVs on the road, theyve in fact made many EV owners regret their purchase, I’ve been told this at least 4 separate times so far.

This is terrible. EA is terrible and I'm grateful I've only ever been delayed for 10 minutes at an EA station. Sorry to hear about your troubles @hmp10 and anonymous ZR GT owner who's here...

I was so pleased with the software improvements that began with UX 2.0 that just last week I had talked to my financial planner (who also has a Dream Edition) about maybe putting down a deposit for a Sapphire, as software trepidation was one of my main points of hesitation. I even got so far as convincing my partner to let the Model S Plaid go, as he has finally admitted that, with software issues resolved, the Air is a better car. We really thought the software problems were being put nicely to bed.

Then this week happened . . . .

Sorry to hear your troubles. I got my agt 10/14/2022 and was on the fence all the way until when i had to pay in full due to all reports of inferior reliability. I finally decided to buy it but also not for it to become my primary car and not to use it on long trips unless interuptions would be ok, which seldom would be the case. I use it around town and charge at home. It was in the lucid service center for 34 straight days for various repairs a few weeks after delivery. It going back in for re-repairs in a few weeks. Lately, it's started to say something along the lines "drive unit fault, contact customer care" to the left on the main display when i'll start a drive. I just take another car and let agt repair itself, which it's done do far or try lock/unlock the car and drive anyway. Since i budgeted up front with (lots of) troubles and limited use, my story is ok but really hoped for more. My main impresstion is it's a very high maintenance object requiring lots of owner attention, and i didnt budget with that.

Last week I might have pushed back a bit on your conclusion here. This week, not so much. Lordy, Lordy . . . .

Yeah @hmp10 , your car’s infotainment in particular seems to be perpetually doing bizarre things, this has been a recurring issue for you.

Since all of my major issues -- such as frequent screen freezes and blackouts, A/C shutoffs, white noise blasts -- had ceased with the introduction of UX 2.0, I had finally concluded that my problems from the get-go were not hardware related, after all. (That was certainly what Lucid kept insisting.) Even today, the two screens that blacked out were the same two screens that operated during the earlier freezes and blackouts, so I'm still thinking this is all software related.

After getting so many basic problems cleared up with the start of the 2.0 upgrades, I'm now wondering if Lucid is rushing the more minor updates and thus inviting too many bugs along for the ride?

As for EA, they seem to be falling apart. On our long road trip last summer, we never stopped at an EA station without having to switch cables or posts, but the second try always worked. On this trip, their whole system seems to have descended in chaos.

is this EA issue specific to Lucid? Are other EVs with free charging having the same issues?

is this EA issue specific to Lucid? Are other EVs with free charging having the same issues?

It's not unique to Lucid. A VW ID.4 was having the same problem we were having at the Pooler, GA station.

And there was a Rivian, an ID.4, and two Kia EV6's held up the same as we were with the maintenance outage in North Charleston.

And our Lucid charged fine both times we stopped at Brunswick, GA where two other Lucids were having problems.

I also forgot to mention that at our last charging stop on this trip -- at Bushnell, FL -- there was one car charging when we got there. It was a Mustang Mach-E, and when we pulled into a slot the two guys came over and told us they had tried every other slot, but none were working but the one they were using. They said they were almost finished if we'd like to take their spot. Since we were already parked, we decided just to plug in where we were to see what happened. We were able to charge without any problem on the plug that had not worked for them.

So the problems seem to come and go at random and affect different brands randomly.

It really is total chaos for any brand at EA stations.

Thanks for the write up. I can’t believe how poor EA chargers are. That is still Tesla’s biggest advantage/strength, as their system is so smooth and I have never had one issue with their chargers. Really stinks that EA chargers are that bad and something really needs to change quickly as more consumers move to EV’s, otherwise it will be a complete mess.

Unfortunately, the poor charging network will them make it look bad for the EV’s that have to use them too.

Seems like two sub par software companies that can’t handshake bc of poor software.

Seems like two sub par software companies that can’t handshake bc of poor software.
Yes, but remember that other auto brands are also having problems at EA chargers. Also, arriving at a charging location to find half or more of the charging posts with black screens has nothing to do with the cars' software.

Yes, but remember that other auto brands are also having problems at EA chargers. Also, arriving at a charging location to find half or more of the charging posts with black screens has nothing to do with the cars' software.
I hope EA enjoys going bankrupt thanks to no funding..

I hope EA enjoys going bankrupt thanks to no funding..

They certainly don't have the excuse of lack of customer traffic. At every one of our charging stops there were 4-5 cars charging (or trying to) at some point during our time there.

The Day Before Departure

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Conclusion

Just terrible, what else can be said? Given the number of issues you've had, and the incredible patience you've shown, I'm surprised you're not considering the lemon law escape path more seriously. Considering how you love the car otherwise, the odds of getting a second one with the plethora of issues you've had, seems to be near zero.

Regarding your trip, the issue of initially being unable to detach the charging cable is a concern too. I'm assuming this was a Lucid issue and not directly an EA issue? I would think you would have seen the ID4 driver with the same issue if it had been instigated by EA.

Regarding your trip, the issue of initially being unable to detach the charging cable is a concern too. I'm assuming this was a Lucid issue and not directly an EA issue? I would think you would have seen the ID4 driver with the same issue if it had been instigated by EA.

I'm not sure. I've never had to use the manual release when charging at home, but that's a Level 2 plug instead of a Level 3 plug.

@hmp10 you're lot more patient than i am/ever will be. when i was in LA one of the EA locations had multiple broken chargers and I called EA in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue. no one picked up the call for 5mins so i hung up and drove to another EA location. one thing i learned about EA is to find a charging location with 6 or more chargers, that way my chances of finding a working charger is high. fwiw i believe i had 100% success rate at their newer chargers.

manually unplugging the charger in pouring rain is not ideal. have you talked to Lucid about it? what was their response? i believe you had issues with your infortainment systems in the past as well. i wonder why Lucid is not considering a buy back for your car and get you a new one.

Given the number of issues you've had, and the incredible patience you've shown, I'm surprised you're not considering the lemon law escape path more seriously.

The problem is what to replace it with. I have become addicted to hyper-powerful EV's but want a sedan that can accommodate four aging adults comfortably. The Tesla Model S Plaid has the power but not the space or refinement of the Lucid. The EQS has the space but not the power, and I find the exterior odd and the interior comically awful. The Taycan has most of the performance but not the interior room.

While a Model X Plaid might have been a marginal alternative, as more of Elon Musk's character emerges I have decided never to buy another product associated with him. Even that aside, the three Teslas I have bought (two for us and one for my brother) don't even get into the ballpark with Lucid in terms of structural solidity, ride, handling, and interior space and refinement.

The problem is what to replace it with. I have become addicted to hyper-powerful EV's but want a sedan that can accommodate four aging adults comfortably. The Tesla Model S Plaid has the power but not the space or refinement of the Lucid. The EQS has the space but not the power, and I find the exterior odd and the interior comically awful. The Taycan has most of the performance but not the interior room.

While a Model X Plaid might have been a marginal alternative, as more of Elon Musk's character emerges I have decided never to buy another product associated with him. Even that aside, the three Teslas I have bought (two for us and one for my brother) don't even get into the ballpark with Lucid in terms of structural solidity, ride, handling, and interior space and refinement.
I probably wasn't clear enough in my post. My question was whether you'd consider replacing the Lucid with another Lucid. Given how many more issues you've had than the average owner, your odds of getting another lemon seem to be low. Couple that with your love for the car otherwise, it might be a path worthy of consideration.

Back