Rivian R1S

Papa Red

Verified Owner
Have been driving a rental R1S for a few days while my Lucid Air Pure gets patched up. Some random thoughts:
  1. I miss my Lucy.
  2. Nice vehicle- definitely a truck.
  3. Not very efficient- usually around 2.5 mi/kwh
  4. Got an interesting message when I first picked it up that brake regeneration will be very light if battery is near a full charge. I had noticed that in my Lucid so glad to know that is some weird electrical thing.
  5. BIG vehicle. Good to have if you still have kids or gear to drive around (I don't)
  6. Hard to park- even with all the cool cameras.
  7. I want my Lucy back.

how did you end up with a Rivan while your Lucid was being worked on? Was this a Lucid provided loaner?

How's your Lucid's lifetime efficiency? Even being way smaller, my lifetime average is 3.0mi/kwh in the Lucid, and ~2.4 in the RIvian. Honestly not that far off 😂
Considering you purchased in winter this will not match to other vehicle you have with averaging whole year into consideration. My lifetime is moving higher since i am driving more on warmer weather now. I have a 3.2/Kwh average on 7300 miles out of which nearly 6000 miles were in Winter ( My warmer temp average is between 3.8 to 4.0 now).

Considering you purchased in winter this will not match to other vehicle you have with averaging whole year into consideration. My lifetime is moving higher since i am driving more on warmer weather now. I have a 3.2/Kwh average on 7300 miles out of which nearly 6000 miles were in Winter ( My warmer temp average is between 3.8 to 4.0 now).
Is CA 50-60F really considered Winter? I think most of America wouldn't agree 😜 But yea, it's fair...there probably should be some difference. I never noticed such a stark efficiency difference in my other EVs. My model 3 was about 10% difference between summer and winter (3.9 vs 3.5), and rivian is even less. But if the lucid is more susceptible to cold weather inefficiencies, then yea that might be a good point. The weather hasn't really warmed up here yet, but will keep an eye out.

If the Lucid loses so much in cooler weather, i would guess it has something to do with cabin conditioning and the poor keyfob/PAAK performance with constant locking/unlocking sometimes at far distances.

In the Rivian, they have been optimizing cabin warming to the point where it won't start conditioning until the car has been opened, whereas before it would start as soon as the car is unlocked etc.. (that's just one example). I honestly don't know but the "winter" has hardly had any effect on the overall trip efficiencies. in my Rivian. I think Lucid can probably optimize in similar ways, but still working on tech deficit.

It’s just my observation of averages what i find on my car Winter vs Summer. My comparison is weather from 15-30F to 60 - 80F now :D

And, I don’t want to compare my numbers with Tesla Model 3 i have before, since we already know they hide the actual numbers in 0 - 20%. I have seen i get advertised range between 100 to 20 and took a steep dive when its 20 to 3% haven’t tried to 0%:p

since we already know they hide the actual numbers in 0 - 20%. I have seen i get advertised range between 100 to 20 and took a steep dive when its 20 to 3% haven’t tried to 0%
oh wow i had my model 3 for 4 years and never noticed this. Do you have any source or discussions on this topic? I don't think i regularly drive down to 0-20% so maybe that's why i never noticed.

oh wow i had my model 3 for 4 years and never noticed this. Do you have any source or discussions on this topic? I don't think i regularly drive down to 0-20% so maybe that's why i never noticed.
I have talked to service and reported about mile loss and no reply.
My reply to that was, switch to a better one :D

They even reduced my display to show from 358 to 330 in between when its 100% and no response on that too. Past Tesla now..

I have consistently seen my Air GT averaging to 3miles/kwh and reported the same. But i am seeing an averages of 3.8 now compared to the colder temps.

how did you end up with a Rivan while your Lucid was being worked on? Was this a Lucid provided loaner?
First of all- apologies to the group. Did not mean to ignite another long discussion about efficiency and range. Also, the Rivian is a very nice vehicle- just not as good as my Lucid.

With regards to the rental situation, that is a long and tragic saga. Short version- my Lucid was hit in a parking lot (probably by a snow plow) while I was inside eating at a restaurant. It was treated as a hit and run and covered under my insurance's Uninsured Motorist provision. Nothing to do with Lucid.

Have been driving a rental R1S for a few days while my Lucid Air Pure gets patched up. Some random thoughts:
  1. I miss my Lucy.
  2. Nice vehicle- definitely a truck.
  3. Not very efficient- usually around 2.5 mi/kwh
  4. Got an interesting message when I first picked it up that brake regeneration will be very light if battery is near a full charge. I had noticed that in my Lucid so glad to know that is some weird electrical thing.
  5. BIG vehicle. Good to have if you still have kids or gear to drive around (I don't)
  6. Hard to park- even with all the cool cameras.
  7. I want my Lucy back.
I didn't like the ride, perhaps because the Rivian I drove had off road tires.

My wife has an R1S which is different from my Lucid, but equally good in its class of vehicle. The biggest complaint the family has is the harsh ride. I did go with the all terrain tires but the issue is more attributable to the suspension. Even when set to the softest setting the ride is firm and bouncy. I believe Rivian continues to tune the software for the suspension and I'm confident they'll improve it with time.

My wife has an R1S which is different from my Lucid, but equally good in its class of vehicle. The biggest complaint the family has is the harsh ride. I did go with the all terrain tires but the issue is more attributable to the suspension. Even when set to the softest setting the ride is firm and bouncy. I believe Rivian continues to tune the software for the suspension and I'm confident they'll improve it with time.
That's my experience with the R1T, which should be softer than R1S. I doubt software can improve much. Unfortunately, this is the penalty of being a SUV and an electric car.

That's my experience with the R1T, which should be softer than R1S. I doubt software can improve much. Unfortunately, this is the penalty of being a SUV and an electric car.
We'll see if you can still say that when the Gravity comes out. 🤞

I own both (Air GT and R1S). Both good vehicles but you really can’t compare them to one another. The Air GT is the best driving/riding car I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned many!) The R1S is a great value for the money and does many things very well (the ADAS features are actually better than Lucid at the moment). I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either vehicle again.

I’ve never clambered up into a Rivian R1S. I would seriously consider shopping it because of its three row seating. However it appears to sit rather high off the ground, as any SUV would, making it challenging for my elderly family members to enter and exit.

I think I’ll suppress my urge to buy, and hold out for the Gravity. Our current family vehicle is our Tesla Model X, which sits and rides more like a CUV/minivan/stationwagon than it does an SUV.

I’ve never clambered up into a Rivian R1S. I would seriously consider shopping it because of its three row seating. However it appears to sit rather high off the ground, as any SUV would, making it challenging for my elderly family members to enter and exit.

I think I’ll suppress my urge to buy, and hold out for the Gravity. Our current family vehicle is our Tesla Model X, which sits and rides more like a CUV/minivan/stationwagon than it does an SUV.
FWIW, I test drove a R1S and it was simply too big n bulky for my family of 3 and at most 5 when family visits..I'm very glad I waited and bought a Lucid.. R1S does sit very high for sure

I like to think of it this way: The R1S would be akin to the body on frame big SUVs such as the Tahoe/Suburban or Expedition, while the Model X as well as the Gravity are more akin to minivans or unibody large suvs (mercedes gls, etc). There is a noticeable difference in the step up to both categories of SUVs, so that helped me visualize it better!

Back