Imagine - Lucid + Rivian...

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT
I was just at my newly opened Rivian service centre and managed to secure myself an upcoming test drive, which I'm excited about as I've always thought that the Rivian was such a well throught out vehicle. Based on everything I've read and watched, it's main downside is that it is the most inefficient EV on the market (except for maybe the incoming Hummer)

This got me thinking/dreaming, imagine if Lucid and Rivian combined - the most efficient motors on the market + 800v charging architecture combined into a well thought out R1S - :oops:

I was just at my newly opened Rivian service centre and managed to secure myself an upcoming test drive, which I'm excited about as I've always thought that the Rivian was such a well throught out vehicle. Based on everything I've read and watched, it's main downside is that it is the most inefficient EV on the market (except for maybe the incoming Hummer)

This got me thinking/dreaming, imagine if Lucid and Rivian combined - the most efficient motors on the market + 800v charging architecture combined into a well thought out R1S - :oops:
There would be zero upside for Lucid in this scenario. The R1S drives like a truck, which is the opposite of what Project Gravity is all about. I’m getting an R1S, but based on what you described, hold out for a Gravity because it will have everything you described.

Have a good test drive and experience yourself. I have let friends and families in both my R1S. I haven’t heard anything negative feedback yet, except the front headlight look.

I personally don’t think efficiency is that big of a deal, it is already way more efficient than super unleaded and diesel in energy conversion.

I do think both companies merge can have synergy and benefits for more cost cutting. RAN charging network is like Tesla SCN, basically flawless PNC. I love R1S fun factor and its software progression at same time AGT for sports car performance and luxury.
There would be zero upside for Lucid in this scenario. The R1S drives like a truck, which is the opposite of what Project Gravity is all about. I’m getting an R1S, but based on what you described, hold out for a Gravity because it will have everything you described.
If only truck is this quiet and smooth. It’s more like sports SUV with ridiculous quad motors.

Rivian motto:
“Keep the world adventurous forever!” 😂
565CD283-86CD-4EA9-B347-3C6FAC530ABD.jpeg

Lucid Motto:
“We aim to create sustainable mobility without compromise in cars that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for all the ways people get around.”
4FF07C7A-B4B6-480F-A65D-8511F207012A.jpeg

I just picked up a Launch Edition R1S w 500 miles on it. Got tired of waiting for a new one. I put a deposit down last Aug., right before Biden’s new EV bill, in hopes of getting the tax credit, but 9 months later, I haven’t even been invited to build out the vehicle. My AGT took 9 months, deposit to keys.
Anyway, yes, they aren’t very efficient, by EV standards. Gravity and the Korean offerings are superior in those respects. But the R1S’s software is decent, ride quality is way better than my Yukon Denali, and it’s a straight line rocket! If I had kids to lug to soccer practice, the others would be just fine. But it’s just me, my bike and a bunch a fun!

I personally don’t think efficiency is that big of a deal, it is already way more efficient than super unleaded and diesel in energy conversion.

I do think both companies merge can have synergy and benefits for more cost cutting. RAN charging network is like Tesla SCN, basically flawless PNC. I love R1S fun factor and its software progression at same time AGT for sports car performance and luxury.

If only truck is this quiet and smooth. It’s more like sports SUV with ridiculous quad motors.

I’m setting myself up for ride quality disappointment, but will be happy when it exceeds expectations. The reviews are confusing.

I just picked up a Launch Edition R1S w 500 miles on it. Got tired of waiting for a new one. I put a deposit down last Aug., right before Biden’s new EV bill, in hopes of getting the tax credit, but 9 months later, I haven’t even been invited to build out the vehicle. My AGT took 9 months, deposit to keys.
Anyway, yes, they aren’t very efficient, by EV standards. Gravity and the Korean offerings are superior in those respects. But the R1S’s software is decent, ride quality is way better than my Yukon Denali, and it’s a straight line rocket! If I had kids to lug to soccer practice, the others would be just fine. But it’s just me, my bike and a bunch a fun!
That’s awesome, congrats! Let’s see some photos.

El Cap Granite

I just noticed the colors of Lucid is based on space theme and Rivian is based on destinations, both companies offer rich gorgeous colors.

LUCID:
Quantum Grey
Stellar White
Cosmos Silver
Infinity Black
Zenith Red

RIVIAN:
LA Silver
Red Canyon’s
Glacier White
Midnight
Rivian Blue
Limestone
El Cap Granite
Compass Yellow

What tires do you have AT or All season 21”. I test drove R1S but the ride was rough and bumpy. I am
Not sure if it was because it had 22” AT. if the ride was any smoother, I would consider it to replace our Audi Q5. We also have a reservation but likely won’t get it till next year.

What tires do you have AT or All season 21”. I test drove R1S but the ride was rough and bumpy. I am
Not sure if it was because it had 22” AT. if the ride was any smoother, I would consider it to replace our Audi Q5. We also have a reservation but likely won’t get it till next year.
22” Sport Bright road tires. It is descent ride to me. So far I only took it off-road on grass surface and small pebbles and rocks barriers. I’ve heard All Terrain may not be that smooth, but I have yet tried them.
C7AD211A-EC1A-4364-A5BE-35A35B295816.jpeg
0E13D7FB-BBA0-4D79-B267-AA26BFA42698.jpeg

I am not into off roading so that does not appeal much to us. Smooth ride is really important but the reviews I have seen are all over. Some claim it’s serene quiet and smooth and others have complained it’s too noisy given long chamber and suspension isn’t great. Would be great if you can share your experience vs Air. I am positive Air being sedan and superb suspension is a very high bar but how does R1S compare to say even a Model S or other cars?

I am not into off roading so that does not appeal much to us. Smooth ride is really important but the reviews I have seen are all over. Some claim it’s serene quiet and smooth and others have complained it’s too noisy given long chamber and suspension isn’t great. Would be great if you can share your experience vs Air. I am positive Air being sedan and superb suspension is a very high bar but how does R1S compare to say even a Model S or other cars?
- I have AGT 21”, that was told by people it’s not as quiet and road compliant as 19”. People complain about noise for 21”, but not for me. However, I only drive Air on good pavement and mostly highway/freeway cruising miles. I rarely go into inner city bad roads on 21”.

- As for Rivian 22”, road tires, I can only compare to what I have driven before. I believe the feel of car is very different at various height. The All-Purpose mode higher from ground feels less bumpy than the sport mode close to ground in crouching style. Conserve mode running just FWD dual motor is also not bad. What I’m impressed with Rivian is how accurate it reports its range estimator, often dead on. I was able to get to about 300 miles on Conserve mode at 70 mph HA from California to Texas. With 135 kWh large battery, it’s 2.2 miles/kWh. But with AGT, I often gets too spirited driving to 2.7~2.9 miles/kWh; and with very dull driving, I get 3.2~3.3 kWh which translates to 360~390 miles. Does efficiency matter that much? Sure, I can DCFC 7 times instead of 9 times with Air of same distance, but that road tripping is not about racing. I think anything above 300 miles range is acceptable with needed routine rest break.

- As far as ride quality is concerned, it is rather subjective. As my own personal experience relating to our other cars I drove, here is my comparison.

R1S > Model-3, Model-3 is too rough
R1S > Wrangler Rubicon (not surprised)
R1S > F150
MB GL420 > R1S > Honda Odyssey
R1S = F250 Lariat
AGT > Model-S > Polestar 2 > R1S > Model-3
Model-X >= R1S

- R1S has a very quiet cabin until I put on roof rack and added off-road track boards, then I start hearing wind noise at 70mph. Air, even at 110mph, it is still amazingly near silent.

- R1S 22 Meridian speakers system has super rich sound texture and base; however Air’s 21 speakers Dolby ATMOS system is just another dimension on selected ATMOS tracks.
Interior cabin feels refined with many variety of materials like Air. It is not like most GM and Ford cars assembled mostly plastic.

- Space, no other EV currently has more space (cabin + frunk + spare-tire trunk) than R1S. Of course, everyone is saying Gravity will have more. How much % more is all waited to be reveal.

Overall, I share the same sentiment with car reviewers Doug DeMuro and Forrest Jones. R1S is just that good to be on top of their charts.

My very subjective opinion.

Best sedan = Lucid Air
Best SUV = Rivian R1S
Best autonomous-driving tech = Tesla @ 5 years ahead

People can get what they want to suit their needs, however FSD is not my cup of tea yet.

I just noticed the colors of Lucid is based on space theme

LUCID:
Quantum Grey
Stellar White
Cosmos Silver
Infinity Black
Zenith Red
Maybe the Model 3/Y competitor will called something space themed? Lucid Lunar and Lucid Solar? Im curious what the story is behind the naming of Lucid's cars. But then, they said Gravity is a "force of nature" so maybe it'll be Lucid Tsunami or Earthquake (for that California theme)

- I have AGT 21”, that was told by people it’s not as quiet and road compliant as 19”. People complain about noise for 21”, but not for me. However, I only drive Air on good pavement and mostly highway/freeway cruising miles. I rarely go into inner city bad roads on 21”.

- As for Rivian 22”, road tires, I can only compare to what I have driven before. I believe the feel of car is very different at various height. The All-Purpose mode higher from ground feels less bumpy than the sport mode close to ground in crouching style. Conserve mode running just FWD dual motor is also not bad. What I’m impressed with Rivian is how accurate it reports its range estimator, often dead on. I was able to get to about 300 miles on Conserve mode at 70 mph HA from California to Texas. With 135 kWh large battery, it’s 2.2 miles/kWh. But with AGT, I often gets too spirited driving to 2.7~2.9 miles/kWh; and with very dull driving, I get 3.2~3.3 kWh which translates to 360~390 miles. Does efficiency matter that much? Sure, I can DCFC 7 times instead of 9 times with Air of same distance, but that road tripping is not about racing. I think anything above 300 miles range is acceptable with needed routine rest break.

- As far as ride quality is concerned, it is rather subjective. As my own personal experience relating to our other cars I drove, here is my comparison.

R1S > Model-3, Model-3 is too rough
R1S > Wrangler Rubicon (not surprised)
R1S > F150
MB GL420 > R1S > Honda Odyssey
R1S = F250 Lariat
AGT > Model-S > Polestar 2 > R1S > Model-3
Model-X >= R1S

- R1S has a very quiet cabin until I put on roof rack and added off-road track boards, then I start hearing wind noise at 70mph. Air, even at 110mph, it is still amazingly near silent.

- R1S 22 Meridian speakers system has super rich sound texture and base; however Air’s 21 speakers Dolby ATMOS system is just another dimension on selected ATMOS tracks.
Interior cabin feels refined with many variety of materials like Air. It is not like most GM and Ford cars assembled mostly plastic.

- Space, no other EV currently has more space (cabin + frunk + spare-tire trunk) than R1S. Of course, everyone is saying Gravity will have more. How much % more is all waited to be reveal.

Overall, I share the same sentiment with car reviewers Doug DeMuro and Forrest Jones. R1S is just that good to be on top of their charts.
Thanks for sharing. Very helpful and I agree that Lucid’s suspension is by far the best tuned.

Congrats! I have had my reservation since Oct 21, and my estimated date is Oct-Dec 23, so you weren't going to get one anytime soon!

My Touring and GV-60 will tide over until then!

Back