Rivian Announces Q2 Production

Nice numbers for Rivian. Perhaps my brother will get his truck sooner than he expects.

Interesting. I've had a reservation for an R1S since February 2019, and I've still received no contact about my reservation from the "Rivian Guide" who I was told would contact me before Thanksgiving of 2021.

I still get emails from Rivian about production and delivery, but each email is mostly gobbledy-gook which requires reading between the lines to figure out you've just been told your delivery has moved out yet again to yet another indeterminate date.

Interesting. I've had a reservation for an R1S since February 2019, and I've still received no contact about my reservation from the "Rivian Guide" who I was told would contact me before Thanksgiving of 2021.

I still get emails from Rivian about production and delivery, but each email is mostly gobbledy-gook which requires reading between the lines to figure out you've just been told your delivery has moved out yet again to yet another indeterminate date.

I think they were extremely naive to think they could, having never manufactured a vehicle, essentially go in and start mass producing 3 different vehicles simultaneously.

Given the supply chain challenges I think they are doing reasonably well as far as production numbers, ramping up around 50% each quarter (2021 Q4 1015 ,Q1 2553, Q2 4401). To do that however it seems like prioritization based on order date had to go out the window to simplify their sourcing and production (so they could lump like trims together on the production line as much as possible)

Also they don’t seem to reveal how many of their vehicles are the Amazon Van. Although larger I assume it’s much easier to build than the R1S and R1T so maybe the vans make up close to half of what they are outputting.

Honestly, pretty impressed by their ramp-up. They aren’t without their faults of course, but seem to be handling supply chain issues pretty well!

I think they were extremely naive to think they could, having never manufactured a vehicle, essentially go in and start mass producing 3 different vehicles simultaneously.

The comparison between Rivian and Lucid is interesting. While Rivian launched three vehicles (two of which had identical powertrains and mostly identical interiors), Rivian also relied on vendors to supply motors and other major powertrain components. Lucid, while launching only one model, advanced the state of the art in motors, power electronics, battery cooling, and other powertrain elements.

As long as I waited to get the Lucid, it's going to be considerably longer since placing my reservation for me to get the Rivian.

Honestly, pretty impressed by their ramp-up. They aren’t without their faults of course, but seem to be handling supply chain issues pretty well!
I agree. Have done a way better job than Lucid

I agree. Have done a way better job than Lucid

As frustrated as I was with Lucid's several production delays, Rivian has had more and for longer.

I reserved my Lucid in September 2018 and got it December 2021. I reserved my Rivian R1S in February 2019 and still haven't even had a contact from my "Rivian Guide" to confirm my order, nor have several emails to Rivian been answered. It might have been a confused answer, but at least I always got an answer from Lucid and had all my calls and emails returned.

And for all the talk about starting deliveries of the R1S, the first ones will be delivered to Rivian employees, just as was the case with the R1T. So deliveries to outside customers are still a ways off.

I honestly can't find any sign of Rivian's doing a "way better job" than Lucid at delivering vehicles.

I honestly can't find any sign of Rivian's doing a "way better job" than Lucid at delivering vehicles.
Really? Rivian has produced almost 8000 vehicles in 3 quarters. How many has Lucid produced? certainly nowhere near 8000

Rivian and Lucid started production within weeks of each other. Yes, both have been plagued by ramp-up issues, supplier shortages etc. but Rivian has done a way better job at ramping up than Lucid. More so, they used an old retrofitted factory compared to Lucid's state of the art, purpose built one which is struggling to get cars out.

Shares also rose 11% based on that news...... let's see how well Lucid's share price goes when Q2 production numbers are announced

Last edited:
Really? Rivian has produced almost 8000 vehicles in 3 quarters. How many has Lucid produced? certainly nowhere near 8000

Production is not delivery. Rivian delivered 5,694 vehicles in the first half of this year, and that includes Amazon delivery vehicles. As far as consumer vehicles, much of the early R1T deliveries went to Rivian employees, as is going to be the case with the R1S.

Deliveries should not be assessed only by raw numbers but also by what percentage of orders taken have been delivered and in what time frame. By that standard, I still cannot find Rivian to be doing "way better" than Lucid.

If you follow the Rivian forums as I do, you will find that most Rivian buyers are waiting longer for their vehicles than Lucid buyers are. At the time I reserved my R1S, the anticipated delivery date was given as fall of 2020. It's now looking as if it will be 2023 before I see delivery.

More so, they used an old retrofitted factory compared to Lucid's state of the art, purpose built one which is struggling to get cars out.

That's true. But to me that suggests that Rivian should have been able to meet its commitments for delivery dates more easily than Lucid . . . and they haven't.

I got an email from Rivian a year ago telling me that I had been assigned a "Rivian Guide" who would contact me by last Thanksgiving for final order configuration. I've heard nothing from such a guide, and my emails inquiring how I could reach my guide have gone unanswered.

The fact is that both companies have had big production misses for some of the same and for some different reasons while trying to accomplish the gargantuan task of creating all-new vehicles in the most challenging supply chain and production environments in decades. As near as I can tell, both are making progress, and neither is doing "way better" than the other.

Back