Regen Question

dawktah LucidGT

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT Zenith Red
When I was doing my test drive I was getting used to one pedal driving and noticed something strange. The regen set to standard in "Smooth" felt the same as "Swift" set to high. The SA and I felt it was the opposite of what you'd expect. This was a pre-production car. I did not get a chance to use "Sprint" mode.

Can anyone confirm on their car?

When I was doing my test drive I was getting used to one pedal driving and noticed something strange. The regen set to standard in "Smooth" felt the same as "Swift" set to high. The SA and I felt it was the opposite of what you'd expect. This was a pre-production car. I did not get a chance to use "Sprint" mode.

Can anyone confirm on their car?
I thought regen was set independently to drive mode… eg you can have std or aggressive in any drive mode

I thought regen was set independently to drive mode… eg you can have std or aggressive in any drive mode

Correct, it was set to standard on both but behaved very differently. You'd think it would be smooth in "Smooth," but it was smoother/ much less in "Swift."

I leave mine on high and they feel the same in both smooth and swift. Can't comment on the standard

I leave mine on high and they feel the same in both smooth and swift. Can't comment on the standard
Same here. Whether you’re in Smooth, Swift, or Sprint, the “high” regen works the same.

Wow, high regen felt really strong. A little softer coming off the accelerator?

I'm just curious if the standard settings are as I described.

Ok.... Now this begs the question. I personally drive my vehicles the old fashioned way (two pedal driving). I think I have learned my braking technique from monitoring displays on my previous Hybrid style vehicles (Old Lincoln MKZ, and currently Volvo xc90 T8). There was a certain amount of pressure applied that would use the motor for regen. Once you were past that point, it would actually engage the "real" brakes.
What I am wondering:
While two pedal driving in the lucid, is there a visual cue much like this on the dash or anywhere to let you know you are using 100% regen, and not the brakes while braking? I am unsure if I will ever get accustomed to one pedal driving (I occasionally use the "B" regen on the Volvo, it acts like a very mild down shift, and is engaged using the shifter, so it is somewhat natural for me).

Ok.... Now this begs the question. I personally drive my vehicles the old fashioned way (two pedal driving). I think I have learned my braking technique from monitoring displays on my previous Hybrid style vehicles (Old Lincoln MKZ, and currently Volvo xc90 T8). There was a certain amount of pressure applied that would use the motor for regen. Once you were past that point, it would actually engage the "real" brakes.
What I am wondering:
While two pedal driving in the lucid, is there a visual cue much like this on the dash or anywhere to let you know you are using 100% regen, and not the brakes while braking? I am unsure if I will ever get accustomed to one pedal driving (I occasionally use the "B" regen on the Volvo, it acts like a very mild down shift, and is engaged using the shifter, so it is somewhat natural for me).
Yes, while you are driving, think if a traditional speedometer. Replace that with an energy guage where rotating clockwise you are consuming energy and rotating counter clockwise you are producing energy via regen. Whenever you are moving and not pushing down on the accelerator you will be in regen mode and the motors will be braking for you very similar to downshifting.

That worried me a bit before my test drive. Having never driven an EV, other than a golf cart, I did not know what to expect. I told the salesman same when we got into the car for the test drive. We started in 'Standard" and switched to Regen during the drive. It it took a little getting used to, but just a little. I was worried at first that my wife and son in the back seat might get sick as my wife does tend to get carsick, but by the second or third rolling stop it really was not an issue.

While two pedal driving in the lucid, is there a visual cue much like this on the dash or anywhere to let you know you are using 100% regen, and not the brakes while braking?
The brake pedal is strictly controlling the mechanical brake system - it has no connection to regen. Regen is controlled by how much you lift off the accelerator. So completely lifting your foot off the accelerator puts you in 100% regen.

Driving my wife's Prius, I feather the brake pedal to maximize regen while trying to not engage the mechanical brake. In the Lucid, you feather the accelerator to maximize regen while controlling how much you slow down.

Interesting. On my volvo, I can apply my break with different amounts of pressure. The needle will dip into regen further down the more I press... I was told that when I hit the red zone is mechanical braking and anything above that is regen only.

It’s honestly really smooth, but I’m 4K miles into the car. Going back to my Mazda and two pedals is hard, haha.

1648233902201.png

Crud... I mean to post this as a pic.
So anything in green is regen, red is mechanical (Maybe I am wrong, this is just what I was told). When I have the transmission set to "B", anytime I am off the accelerator, the regen needle only dips down like 2-3 notches. It only goes down further if I actually apply my foot to the brake.

So just to confirm, with the Lucid, the brake is ONLY mechanical, and I need to have regen for the engine turned on high in order to get the best regen result?

View attachment 1200
Crud... I mean to post this as a pic.
So anything in green is regen, red is mechanical (Maybe I am wrong, this is just what I was told). When I have the transmission set to "B", anytime I am off the accelerator, the regen needle only dips down like 2-3 notches. It only goes down further if I actually apply my foot to the brake.

So just to confirm, with the Lucid, the brake is ONLY mechanical, and I need to have regen for the engine turned on high in order to get the best regen result?
Yes on the regen mode being high given you the best mi/kwh

So anyone want to gander a guess what mi/kWh you'll get going 55 mph in 90 degree temps?

Oh, uhm technically yes but is that on 19 or 21?

Back