Regen Question

Just to give you an idea of range when driving fast on a common highway, I averaged 2.6 mi/kWh from San Diego to Las Vegas driving 80mph in my DE P on 21” wheels.

Ok.... Now this begs the question. I personally drive my vehicles the old fashioned way (two pedal driving). I think I have learned my braking technique from monitoring displays on my previous Hybrid style vehicles (Old Lincoln MKZ, and currently Volvo xc90 T8). There was a certain amount of pressure applied that would use the motor for regen. Once you were past that point, it would actually engage the "real" brakes.
What I am wondering:
While two pedal driving in the lucid, is there a visual cue much like this on the dash or anywhere to let you know you are using 100% regen, and not the brakes while braking? I am unsure if I will ever get accustomed to one pedal driving (I occasionally use the "B" regen on the Volvo, it acts like a very mild down shift, and is engaged using the shifter, so it is somewhat natural for me).
I would strongly recommend getting used to 1 pedal driving, it really is better; takes some time but worth it in my opinion

That worried me a bit before my test drive. Having never driven an EV, other than a golf cart, I did not know what to expect. I told the salesman same when we got into the car for the test drive. We started in 'Standard" and switched to Regen during the drive. It it took a little getting used to, but just a little. I was worried at first that my wife and son in the back seat might get sick as my wife does tend to get carsick, but by the second or third rolling stop it really was not an issue.
for now whatever regen mode you choose it applies to all drive modes, I would like to think that soon we will be able to have standard regen in smooth mode and strong regen in swift mode which would make sense to me

Takes 2 min to figure out. The people who struggle doing it are the ones that feather the throttle when they drive, which has always struck me as odd. Maintain foot position on the throttle when wanting to maintain speed, when you want to break, let off. After 2 min on different regen settings you’ll know how hard it will break, also dependent on battery temp and SOC. Too full of a charge, less regen is allowed, too cold of a battery, again, less regen is allowed.

I switched to high regen day 1…
3 days later, I decided to switch back to std … at least until I am able to adjust the throttle to match coming off cruise control better. A smoother ride is better for the passengers :)
I agree it would be nice to have std regen for smooth, and high for swift+

Takes 2 min to figure out. The people who struggle doing it are the ones that feather the throttle when they drive, which has always struck me as odd. Maintain foot position on the throttle when wanting to maintain speed, when you want to break, let off. After 2 min on different regen settings you’ll know how hard it will break, also dependent on battery temp and SOC. Too full of a charge, less regen is allowed, too cold of a battery, again, less regen is allowed.
Wait, SOC changes the behavior of regen? It seems consistent to me on the Lucid

Charge your car up to 95%+, regen will be limited due to no where for power to go in the pack.
Likewise when your battery is cold, charging with regen could damage it. Hence, the car will reduce regen. Probably not an issue for @hydbob in southern Cal.

Likewise when your battery is cold, charging with regen could damage it. Hence, the car will reduce regen. Probably not an issue for @hydbob in southern Cal.
Ahh okay thanks for the new info!

Charge your car up to 95%+, regen will be limited due to no where for power to go in the pack.

Ha! Now I understand non linear regen behavior.
Thank you both.

I would strongly recommend getting used to 1 pedal driving, it really is better; takes some time but worth it in my opinion
I agree. 1 pedal driving feels very intuitive. Though adjustment whenever I have to use a gas-powered car.

Charged to 100% for the 1st time - experienced the much lighter than normal region until SOC got to about 85% or a bit lower, then seemed to return to normal. I thought something was wrong and I needed to call Service, but remembered the threads here which explained why. This forum is wonderful!!

Charged to 100% for the 1st time - experienced the much lighter than normal region until SOC got to about 85% or a bit lower, then seemed to return to normal. I thought something was wrong and I needed to call Service, but remembered the threads here which explained why. This forum is wonderful!!
I find that regen comes back to normal around 95%.

That worried me a bit before my test drive. Having never driven an EV, other than a golf cart, I did not know what to expect. I told the salesman same when we got into the car for the test drive. We started in 'Standard" and switched to Regen during the drive. It it took a little getting used to, but just a little. I was worried at first that my wife and son in the back seat might get sick as my wife does tend to get carsick, but by the second or third rolling stop it really was not an issue.
Interestingly enough, my last two golf carts had regen and so I have happily introduced myself again to it with the Lucid and Tesla. After almost 3 weeks of trouble-free driving, I am thinking Christmas will be great. To @Fritto520 Keep those updates coming. Loving it!!!!

Unless I missed it, I’ve also not seen it mentioned that an additional benefit of regen braking is that it saves your regular brakes. While EVs will blow through tires like nothing you’ve ever seen before (due to the heavier weight…and excessive “launching”), the brakes are hardly used compared to ICE vehicles.

Back