Regen Question

Despite spending the last decade with a Model S as my daily driver, I still don't pay attention to kW/h, mainly because it moves around so much with so many variables (just like gas mileage). Uphill? You'll lose a LOT more battery. Downhill -- a lot less. Accelerating aggressively or driving delicately? Running a/c? Tires properly inflated? Using semis and other vehicles as wind-blockers when possible? If you are the type to play games with gas mileage and "hyper-mile" (which can be fun), yes, with 80% of the Lucid battery you'll be able to go 349 miles in 90-degree heat. If you instead like to accelerate hard, use A/C to stay cool, keep the dash screens brightly lit...then you'll still be able to go 349 miles but not as confidently.

Okay on 19, then I adjust my guess to 4.0!

So anyone want to gander a guess what mi/kWh you'll get going 55 mph in 90 degree temps?
With the exception of a few short sections, the typical speed on the road between Flsgstaff and Moab is 70 MPH. I think you are optimistic that the temperature will only be 90. With 19" wheels you a probably still have enough range.

Some cars will regen when using the brake. Lucid (and Tesla) does not.

Also, high regen and one pedal driving just take a bit of getting used to. My old i3 had great regen. I only ever used the brake on steep hills with high speed limits. It took me awhile to adjust to the Model S when I got it, as it is much weaker.

Some cars will regen when using the brake. Lucid (and Tesla) does not.

Also, high regen and one pedal driving just take a bit of getting used to. My old i3 had great regen. I only ever used the brake on steep hills with high speed limits. It took me awhile to adjust to the Model S when I got it, as it is much weaker.
If you want to experience low to zero regen drive a Taycan. It is the strangest experience ever. The car just keeps rolling.

With the exception of a few short sections, the typical speed on the road between Flsgstaff and Moab is 70 MPH. I think you are optimistic that the temperature will only be 90. With 19" wheels you a probably still have enough range.
This, in my whole life with my Tesla, has been the most nerve-racking trip. I remember I charged upto 100% (281 miles or so) on my Model 3 at Blanding, UT (just south of Moab) and stilll made it to the Holbrook supercharger with not much left. Peak summer too. Therefore, super confident Lucid makes that trip just fine!

This, in my whole life with my Tesla, has been the most nerve-racking trip. I remember I charged upto 100% (281 miles or so) on my Model 3 at Blanding, UT (just south of Moab) and stilll made it to the Holbrook supercharger with not much left. Peak summer too. Therefore, super confident Lucid makes that trip just fine!

How were you driving? All interstate? Speed? any stop and go? Thanks.

How were you driving? All interstate? Speed? any stop and go? Thanks.
not at all interstates...it's basically through whatever highway all the way through reservation lands and eventually Blanding, UT and then Moab, UT. It got me the most stressed ever on a hoot day and after a full charge on my Model 3. I forget the exact speeds but if I recall correctly I was going maximum whatever the posted limit was and nothing more in order to juice whatever I could out of the battery

not at all interstates...it's basically through whatever highway all the way through reservation lands and eventually Blanding, UT and then Moab, UT. It got me the most stressed ever on a hoot day and after a full charge on my Model 3. I forget the exact speeds but if I recall correctly I was going maximum whatever the posted limit was and nothing more in order to juice whatever I could out of the battery

Thanks. That is my concern. Here in Arizona as you know, if I set my ACC to 9 miles over the speed limit (to avoid getting a speeding ticket) I am still being passed by most cars. Since most of our speed limits on the highways are 65, I am going 75 most of the time. Even Scottsdale Road has a 50 mph speed limit. And Carefree Highway, heading out west toward Quintero and Wickenburg, a two lane country road, has a 65 mph speed limit most of the way.

So that is why I am so interested in how the Lucid does when driven fast and hard.

Thanks. That is my concern. Here in Arizona as you know, if I set my ACC to 9 miles over the speed limit (to avoid getting a speeding ticket) I am still being passed by most cars. Since most of our speed limits on the highways are 65, I am going 75 most of the time. Even Scottsdale Road has a 50 mph speed limit. And Carefree Highway, heading out west toward Quintero and Wickenburg, a two lane country road, has a 65 mph speed limit most of the way.

So that is why I am so interested in how the Lucid does when driven fast and hard.

When we get through Monument to Bluff, UT and charge to 100% I'll be going as fast as possible to Four Corners and back to Bluff to get just enough charge to drive quickly to Moab.

When we get through Monument to Bluff, UT and charge to 100% I'll be going as fast as possible to Four Corners and back to Bluff to get just enough charge to drive quickly to Moab.
Pure curiosity, since I don't drive in that part of the country.
"I'll be driving as fast as possible" -- can you really do that without fear of highway patrol?

Pure curiosity, since I don't drive in that part of the country.
"I'll be driving as fast as possible" -- can you really do that without fear of highway patrol?
One time I my wife was stopped for doing 80 in a 65 section outside of Kayenta and got a warning with the comment that she should keep her speed to around 70. That area is fairly lax on the speed limits as long as you are not in one of the towns with a local PD, there you should drive the speed limit.

One time I my wife was stopped for doing 80 in a 65 section outside of Kayenta and got a warning with the comment that she should keep her speed to around 70. That area is fairly lax on the speed limits as long as you are not in one of the towns with a local PD, there you should drive the speed limit.
Thank you.

I got a ticket in that exact same area by a Navajo Nation police car. It was a bullshit ticket as the cop was driving in the other direction then busted a U claiming I was driving over the limit. It was impossible for them to tell. I had no choice but to pay the ticket as I would have to come back and fight it in person. What a racket.

I'm a give 'em 10 driver. I wouldn't be worried about quick acceleration during passing is what I meant. 🤓 Beforehand, I'll be the one being passed. Speaking of which is the speed limit posted often? That's how they get you...

I'm a give 'em 10 driver. I wouldn't be worried about quick acceleration during passing is what I meant. 🤓 Beforehand, I'll be the one being passed. Speaking of which is the speed limit posted often? That's how they get you...
So where you're going will feel very remote a lot of the time, and no, I don't think the speed limit is posted that often. I can't remember the exact path I took coming back from Moab to Phoenix, but I do recall that the quickest route was through the reservation, and there really is nothing there for long stretches. Having said that, if you just stay alert (and apparently Lucid will help you with that), you should be able to spot them in the median. There's typically not a lot of trickery, and yes, you'd need to be going above 10 or probably more accurately, faster than the other cars to get pulled.

So where you're going will feel very remote a lot of the time, and no, I don't think the speed limit is posted that often. I can't remember the exact path I took coming back from Moab to Phoenix, but I do recall that the quickest route was through the reservation, and there really is nothing there for long stretches. Having said that, if you just stay alert (and apparently Lucid will help you with that), you should be able to spot them in the median. There's typically not a lot of trickery, and yes, you'd need to be going above 10 or probably more accurately, faster than the other cars to get pulled.

Thanks!

Yes...staying with a line of cars is a good maneuver if one is going more than 9 miles over the speed limit. Gives you time to spot any enforcement activities in front of you.

Back