Recommendation to Lucid Management regarding Gravity Production

Batteryman

Please don't release highest trim Gravity at 150k and then slowly trickle down to the lowest trim model like you did with the Air- you will lose a lot of sales. Build as they are ordered, in batches, even if it means a little more expense in manufacturing. Mistakes were made with Air release.

Please don't release highest trim Gravity at 150k and then slowly trickle down to the lowest trim model like you did with the Air- you will lose a lot of sales. Build as they are ordered, in batches, even if it means a little more expense in manufacturing. Mistakes were made with Air release.
I would love for that to happen, but highly doubt it.

No way will Lucid not start with the highest trim. The only thing we can hope for is that they've fine tuned the production ramp up to get to the cheaper models way more quickly than what happened with the Air. Inflation, interests rates, etc. aside I feel Lucid probably lost some sales of the Air with how long it took them to get to the Pure.

Starting with the higher trim does come with advantages. People who can't wait may opt to upgrade in order to get into the car quicker which is a financial benefit to Lucid and it can also potentially help Lucid iron out any kinks in the early production cars before going on to sell the lower trim models that will hopefully sell in bigger numbers.

I was hoping for the highest trim level to compete with Mercedes, Range Rover and Maserati.

$60K trim puts it in the middle of a bunch of lower end competition. Kia, Genesis, Lexus.

While I understand this sentiment, there are other considerations.

As happened with every early-production model I've ever bought -- whether from Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Honda, Tesla, or Lucid -- there will no doubt be some quality problems with early-production Gravity's (still don't know the proper plural form).

Those problems are generally more tolerated by higher-end early adopters who (1) are used to such issues and (2) probably have other cars on which to rely while these problems are ironed out in after-sales service.

Putting a more volume-oriented car in the hands of buyers who will more likely be relying on the Gravity for family duty right at the outset of production is very risky.

I love my Air Dream Edition and was willing to tolerate the numerous service calls it took to resolve early issues -- calls that Lucid no doubt used to educate themselves and their service teams in ironing out these problems at the production stage before introducing their intended volume version, the Pure. If the Pure had been Lucid's opening move, it would not only have overwhelmed their service operation, but it would have also sunk any hopes of developing a quality reputation early on. I still remember the first 10 months of software hell with UX 1.0. That did enough damage to Lucid's early reputation with relatively few cars on the road. I cannot imagine what a mess Lucid would have had on its hands had the Pure hit the market with such problems.

Just because the Gravity will be Lucid's second model does not mean all the production lessons Lucid learned on the Air will result in a fault-free early Gravity. I learned that lesson time and again from auto manufacturers with storied reputations for quality and decades of manufacturing experience under their belts.

While I understand this sentiment, there are other considerations.

As happened with every early-production model I've ever bought -- whether from Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar, Honda, Tesla, or Lucid -- there will no doubt be some quality problems with early-production Gravity's (still don't know the proper plural form).

Those problems are generally more tolerated by higher-end early adopters who (1) are used to such issues and (2) probably have other cars on which to rely while these problems are ironed out in after-sales service.

Putting a more volume-oriented car in the hands of buyers who will more likely be relying on the Gravity for family duty right at the outset of production is very risky.

I love my Air Dream Edition and was willing to tolerate the numerous service calls it took to resolve early issues -- calls that Lucid no doubt used to educate themselves and their service teams in ironing out these problems at the production stage before introducing their intended volume version, the Pure. If the Pure had been Lucid's opening move, it would not only have overwhelmed their service operation, but it would have also sunk any hopes of developing a quality reputation early on. I still remember the first 10 months of software hell with UX 1.0. That did enough damage to Lucid's early reputation with relatively few cars on the road. I cannot imagine what a mess Lucid would have had on its hands had the Pure hit the market with such problems.

Just because the Gravity will be Lucid's second model does not mean all the production lessons Lucid learned on the Air will result in a fault-free early Gravity. I learned that lesson time and again from auto manufacturers with storied reputations for quality and decades of manufacturing experience under their belts.
Excellent points from, apparently, an experienced car owner. This forum is awesome. You early owners keep me sane while I wait. :)

As excited as I am for the Gravity, reading the forum posts from 2022 shows the patience of the first owners of the Air. I think I have that patience, thankfully with the support of this forum, but I'm pretty sure my excitement would be lessened with the existence of multiple issues (software hell and more).

It's going to be pure torture to see the photos and hear the discussions among owners of the Gravity Dream Edition. Yep, first world problem. :)
It reminds me of the old Heinz ketchup commercial ... anticipation.

I've heard it said that Lucid's production capacity is greater than in 2021/2022 and lessons were learned from the initial release of the Air.
If pre-orders can open from the start, for all trims, with estimated production dates provided along with pricing, I'd be happy.

I don't "need" another car. I want another car that is an ev. For me to go with anything other than the Gravity, would be me just settling for less out of a lack of patience.
Not gonna happen. I look forward to owning Gravity and contributing more to this forum that has been so educational for me.
However, for buyers who need a car and are looking at the Gravity, they're in a tough postion. Some may settle for Polestar/Volvo, KIa, etc. and Lucid would lose those sales.
And yet those same buyers could end up coming back to the Gravity at some point.

I would like to be able to get a lower trim level of the Gravity then the Dream. I've yet to see Lucid's release strategy for Gravity, but wait anxiously.

I have a18 year old BMW 335 that I've been wanting to replace with an EV (already have the Air Pure and was close to buying a used GT recently). Other then Air nothing has piqued my interest other then maybe the anticipated Dodge Charger EV - I know 2 completely different vehicles. I've driven manual coupes for almost 40 years and still like the coupe style - old habits are hard to break.

Having watched all the Gravity videos and what Lucid has invested into it is impressive and in my mind somewhat comforting with respect to build quality. It appears as they've learned from past mistakes, time will tell.

I agree 100% with msaunders9430, the Gravity seems special to me and if forced to I will wait.

On a side note has Lucid addressed the app handling 2 Lucids?

Might this discussion be more appropriate in the Gravity section of the forum?

I suppose the intent of the OP was that Lucid management would see it in the Investors section.
However, I believe it's been stated in other posts that there may be a few Lucid employees viewing posts in this forum, but with the sheer volume of content here, this is not the most efficient way fo communicating with Lucid management.

Anyone else interested in the Gravity might not look here.
I peruse the entire forum and am also an investor, but others may be in a different situation and could benefit from this discussion.

I would love for that to happen, but highly doubt it.
Actually, there are many factors that suggest the cheaper variants will come before the higher ones. For example, the Gravity will NOT come with rear-wheel steering (exclusive to the higher-end air suspension setup) or captains chairs for the second row. The omission of these features could suggest that a Pure/Touring would be the "launch trims," with them having less features than the GT/Dream. However, I agree with @hmp10 , particularly regarding the issue of a broader, "family" audience getting their hands on a potentially buggy car. Early adopters are typically far more forgiving of initial issues, as we saw happen with the Air DE.

However, I agree with @hmp10 , particularly regarding the issue of a broader, "family" audience getting their hands on a potentially buggy car. Early adopters are typically far more forgiving of initial issues, as we saw happen with the Air DE.

I actually agree both with myself and with @Batteryman . . . i.e., I'm conflicted.

I worry about putting buggy early builds of the Gravity into the hands of families depending on the vehicle, but I also understand the imperative for Lucid to show some strong sales numbers quickly.

If Lucid actually puts out a Dream Edition without the rear-wheel steering and captain's chairs that (supposedly) are coming later -- and especially without the significant power bump of the Air Dream Edition -- it might mean the higher-ticket sales won't materialize quickly, anyway. Despite my many long months of chomping at the bit to put in a Dream Edition order at first opportunity, if it's little more than a cosmetic package I might well wait for a later-production Gravity with the features I want.

No way will Lucid not start with the highest trim. The only thing we can hope for is that they've fine tuned the production ramp up to get to the cheaper models way more quickly than what happened with the Air. Inflation, interests rates, etc. aside I feel Lucid probably lost some sales of the Air with how long it took them to get to the Pure.

Starting with the higher trim does come with advantages. People who can't wait may opt to upgrade in order to get into the car quicker which is a financial benefit to Lucid and it can also potentially help Lucid iron out any kinks in the early production cars before going on to sell the lower trim models that will hopefully sell in bigger numbers.
Unfortunately, I agree. I got my Genesis when I gave up after several years waiting for the Lucid Air Pure. The question is whether Lucid gains more from starting at the top or more from mixing up the trims...Bigger prices but less sales vs. mixed sales with some more sales with some at lower prices. Presumably, Lucid has figured out its answer to this.

Presumably, Lucid has figured out its answer to this.

Or maybe not.

If they're really going to start deliveries in November/December, customer vehicles have to start rolling off the assembly line in the next 10-12 weeks. Yet we know nothing of what the trim levels will be, which features which trim will have, or what the story is with the Dream Edition (limited run? unique features? order priorities to existing customers?). The Design Centers don't even have the interior and exterior color samples, even though that was said be to decided back at the L.A. Auto Show nine months ago, and many customers might want to arrange a trip to see them in person before ordering a Gravity online or by phone.

I can't shake the feeling that this is a down-to-the-wire exercise on several fronts. I would actually rather Lucid delay the start of Gravity deliveries than do anything even faintly reminiscent of releasing the Air with its infamous software issues.

I actually agree both with myself and with @Batteryman . . . i.e., I'm conflicted.

I worry about putting buggy early builds of the Gravity into the hands of families depending on the vehicle, but I also understand the imperative for Lucid to show some strong sales numbers quickly.

If Lucid actually puts out a Dream Edition without the rear-wheel steering and captain's chairs that (supposedly) are coming later -- and especially without the significant power bump of the Air Dream Edition -- it might mean the higher-ticket sales won't materialize quickly, anyway. Despite my many long months of chomping at the bit to put in a Dream Edition order at first opportunity, if it's little more than a cosmetic package I might well wait for a later-production Gravity with the features I want.
Same sentiment, but at least I hope it won't be a 2.5 year gap to get to the Gravity base model as it happened with the Air. Should be not more than a year.

Just because we don’t know the trim levels and plan yet, doesn’t mean Lucid doesn’t. All of the guesses on price and availability is just speculation, and I’d imagine due to being impatient and ready to order. I’m also going to add to the speculation and say that the wait between trim levels will absolutely be much shorter in duration from the Air. Best guess is months from first trim level to last, as opposed to years with the Air, and weeks as opposed to months/years from order to delivery.

Just because we don’t know the trim levels and plan yet, doesn’t mean Lucid doesn’t. All of the guesses on price and availability is just speculation, and I’d imagine due to being impatient and ready to order. I’m also going to add to the speculation and say that the wait between trim levels will absolutely be much shorter in duration from the Air. Best guess is months from first trim level to last, as opposed to years with the Air, and weeks as opposed to months/years from order to delivery.

That makes sense. However, I would point out that deciding what features will be available at each trim level is a different matter from when certain options will become available. A Lucid engineer has said (at the recent Torrance showing, I believe) that captain's chairs won't be available until late 2025. And rear-wheel steering reportedly will not be available on the Dream Edition, the trim level that would most likely have it if it were ready. So that, too, must be many months away.

That makes sense. However, I would point out that deciding what features will be available at each trim level is a different matter from when certain options will become available. A Lucid engineer has said (at the recent Torrance showing, I believe) that captain's chairs won't be available until late 2025. And rear-wheel steering reportedly will not be available on the Dream Edition, the trim level that would most likely have it if it were ready. So that, too, must be many months away.
There may not be a Dream Edition.

There may not be a Dream Edition.

I've begun to wonder that myself. All mention of it has dropped out of Lucid communications, and it wouldn't make sense to release a halo model lacking key features that lower trim levels will soon have.

I'd rather not see one at all than have it just be a cosmetic package such as that silliness that was the Eddie Bauer Edition of a Ford Explorer (or that absurd excrescence that is the MB Maybach Night Series). I really hope Lucid keeps engineering at the front and center of their marketing as their model line expands.

It's been really sad to see Mercedes Benz become a gangsta pastiche of the engineering house it once was.

Agree.

With the Price from Peter at $69K, I don't see how that would be a Dream Edition?
Price mentioned is “under 80k” which means $79,999, likely for the Pure. I’d imagine a fully optioned GT will be $130k+.

Agree.

With the Price from Peter at $69K, I don't see how that would be a Dream Edition?
All they've said is that the pricing starts at under $80k. There has been zero mention of trims or options, so no one except Lucid execs know how it will shake out. There will almost certainly be multiple trims akin to the Pure/Touring/GT of the Air, so undoubtedly the Pure version would be the one starting under $80k, and going up from there.

Back