Range question

I think so,at least for the model 3, although I suppose some of that info must be integrated into the map app too. I have never researched the other models and it’s possible the model S and X interface is different since they actually have a “gauge” display. My understanding is that the % of battery left on the default home screen is always accurate but the default miles remaining is not contextual so can only be considered a rough guide.

How do the lucid range estimates work? I always assumed they were contextual (ie as long as the car knows where you are going it adjusts the estimate for expected speed, elevation change etc) but now realize I have not seen any info on this. If it is contextual I would expect that the estimated range displayed would change by entering different nav destinations.
Take this answer with a grain of salt, but the last time I remember actually paying attention, it updated the range in real time, but only after you had started driving. The initial calculation seems to be based off a theoretical max like the EPA number, but it seems to adjust itself.

I've only paid attention the one time though...

Great! So while driving one must look to the side, find the menu and select energy and then analyze the energy consumption while you drive(?) the car into a wall.
It's actually very straightforward and useable. A great tool for long drives where every electron counts.

My understanding is that Tesla owners need to open an energy app (on the screen) to see a calculated range that takes into account the actual route (elevation changes etc), speed and temperature. The Home Screen only shows prorated calculation based on battery % remaining and the EPA rating which seems pretty useless unless your trip happens to exactly match an EPA test cycle… which it never will. Don’t think the energy app accounts for wind which can make a massive difference to EV range per Out of Spec Motoring’s EV range tests on YouTube
With all their advanced software prowess, why bother with the prorated range instead of just displaying the calculated range?

I walk the dogs before I head off to work (even in the winter) and it usually takes 20 minutes, not that anyone cares. Could I plug in and have the outlet power the "Precondition" or does it only "Precondition" off the battery?
Hey... While I do not have my Lucid yet, I can tell you that my existing Volvo T8 PHEV preconditions off plugging in. So essentially the power is taken from the wall. The reason I know this is that if I plug into standard 110, 15a (8a-ish charge), it will NOT let me precondition as the vehicle will not be able to charge and precondition at the same time. However, if I am level 2 charging, I can get preconditioning, and charging at the same time.

My guess with the Lucid is that it can precondition off the battery, and the hard line as long as there is a decent SOC already.

With all their advanced software prowess, why bother with the prorated range instead of just displaying the calculated range?
When you enter a destination into Tesla's navigation, it gives you a generally quite accurate estimation of the charge level you'll have remaining when you arrive. The always-on battery level indicator on the main screen shows (user settable) either SOC% or range in miles/km as calculated from SOC%*Battery Health*EPA efficiency. It doesn't adjust the calculation for where you've decided to drive that morning, current driving style, headwinds, etc. That's the job of the nav software and the energy monitor screen. It's a reasonable system. After becoming used to it, most people leave their screen set to SOC% rather than miles as it's always accurate. The Guess-o-meter in my 2011 Leaf was not particularly useful because it could only base its calculation on what you've just done, not what you are about to do. Tesla's system is better.

Having just completed a driver from PHX to LA (416 miles), I think range was probably within expectations given what I've read here. I did stop twice, but that was more on me than on the car. I'm glad I did as the hotel did not have a non-Tesla charger despite reading on a charging site that they did. At any rate, from PHX to Quartzite, we had a pretty respectable 3.6 kWh. The EA charger recognized the car without issue, and the whole process couldn't have been easier. I added about 100 miles of charge in 12 minutes and left with 75% SOC. Essentially, this gave me a 100 mile "buffer" over the remaining mileage to LA. Things got a little more interesting for me on the next leg. What I had expected was something closer to mileage range dropping somewhat evenly with actual mileage. I was driving mostly 80 mph at that time and the air was going at a mid-range as it was between 98 and 105 out. I have a GT 21". I noticed that the buffer started getting smaller and with 180 miles left to go, it was down to a 70 mile buffer. Coming into Indio and going down hill, I did see the range mileage adjust upwards a little and the buffer went up from 60 to 70 miles, so I thought we'd be ok.

One thing I'm not sure I've seen commented on with range is the ACC. As the car holds a consistent speed, I'm wondering if there is less regen from braking as range felt like it fell off more quickly when using than not. And by more quickly, I mean in an obvious way. On the first leg, while getting used to the car, etc, I don't think I used ACC as much, and I had a very respectable kWh. Now it could have been a little more city driving, too. But it did feel like the cruise control impacted range.

At any rate, I decided to stop again with a 120 miles left and a 40 mile buffer (160 miles of range). As it was at an outlet mall and they were limiting the power to 9 kWh per minute, we spent 19 minutes there and took the SOC up to 60% I think. This gave a 200 mile buffer. Given the terrible (probably normal for people who there) traffic in LA, I think we stayed pretty close to that buffer. So I have about 180 miles left and will need to charge up likely twice on the way back because of the lack of chargers at the hotel. On the last 2 legs, I got around 3.2-3.1 kWh, so not as good, but I never had anything in the 2s.

Overall, if I had just stayed at the first stop for another 5-7 minutes (i.e. 20 minutes total), I think it would have been fine. But with it being the first time I had ever done this, last thing I wanted to do was hit LA traffic not knowing if I would make it. And then find out that I needed to figure out how to charge again almost immediately upon leaving. The only thing, as mentioned above, is whether my ACC impacted things negatively, so I'd love to hear from folks about that. Also, when leaving the outlet mall, everyone should be careful making a left at the light outside the mall to get on I-10. It's downhill and even though I approached slowly, I heard the car scrape underneath when it hit the leveled road.

Having just completed a driver from PHX to LA (416 miles),
great report. I plan on driving Prescott to LA quite often so your comments apply directly to me. I’m very interested in the responses to the ACC question.

Not sure, although now I think about it some more, perhaps what I expect is not always possible. It definitely makes sense as long as the destination is further than the available range, but if the nav route is within range I am not so sure. I.e a “400 mile” range car at 100% charge… plug in a destination that is 150 miles away in rain, uphill, headwind etc. On what basis would the car calculate total available range? it could assume that further driving after reaching destination would have same (perhaps atypical) characteristics as the first 150 miles. Or it could assume that driving after reaching destination would be similar to the generic EPA cycle. Either is going to be relying heavily on assumptions.

In any case the more I think about it the more questions come up. I am sure it will be at least a year until I have my Pure so who knows how Lucid will be calculating the estimated range by then

Thank you, that's a very useful summary. A quick note - it's useful to carry a Tesla Tap in the trunk. You can use it to charge your car at any Tesla "destination charger". These were installed in many hotels, golf courses, etc in Tesla's early days, and are usually good for 6.6-10kW output. The Tesla Tap does not work at Superchargers.

Having just completed a driver from PHX to LA (416 miles), I think range was probably within expectations given what I've read here. I did stop twice, but that was more on me than on the car. I'm glad I did as the hotel did not have a non-Tesla charger despite reading on a charging site that they did. At any rate, from PHX to Quartzite, we had a pretty respectable 3.6 kWh. The EA charger recognized the car without issue, and the whole process couldn't have been easier. I added about 100 miles of charge in 12 minutes and left with 75% SOC. Essentially, this gave me a 100 mile "buffer" over the remaining mileage to LA. Things got a little more interesting for me on the next leg. What I had expected was something closer to mileage range dropping somewhat evenly with actual mileage. I was driving mostly 80 mph at that time and the air was going at a mid-range as it was between 98 and 105 out. I have a GT 21". I noticed that the buffer started getting smaller and with 180 miles left to go, it was down to a 70 mile buffer. Coming into Indio and going down hill, I did see the range mileage adjust upwards a little and the buffer went up from 60 to 70 miles, so I thought we'd be ok.

One thing I'm not sure I've seen commented on with range is the ACC. As the car holds a consistent speed, I'm wondering if there is less regen from braking as range felt like it fell off more quickly when using than not. And by more quickly, I mean in an obvious way. On the first leg, while getting used to the car, etc, I don't think I used ACC as much, and I had a very respectable kWh. Now it could have been a little more city driving, too. But it did feel like the cruise control impacted range.

At any rate, I decided to stop again with a 120 miles left and a 40 mile buffer (160 miles of range). As it was at an outlet mall and they were limiting the power to 9 kWh per minute, we spent 19 minutes there and took the SOC up to 60% I think. This gave a 200 mile buffer. Given the terrible (probably normal for people who there) traffic in LA, I think we stayed pretty close to that buffer. So I have about 180 miles left and will need to charge up likely twice on the way back because of the lack of chargers at the hotel. On the last 2 legs, I got around 3.2-3.1 kWh, so not as good, but I never had anything in the 2s.

Overall, if I had just stayed at the first stop for another 5-7 minutes (i.e. 20 minutes total), I think it would have been fine. But with it being the first time I had ever done this, last thing I wanted to do was hit LA traffic not knowing if I would make it. And then find out that I needed to figure out how to charge again almost immediately upon leaving. The only thing, as mentioned above, is whether my ACC impacted things negatively, so I'd love to hear from folks about that. Also, when leaving the outlet mall, everyone should be careful making a left at the light outside the mall to get on I-10. It's downhill and even though I approached slowly, I heard the car scrape underneath when it hit the leveled road.
ACC should in theory give you the best possible efficiency at the speed you set. I think the main impact on your range was it being 100 degrees. I suspect quite a bit of power went into cooling both passengers and battery pack.

Welcome to LA!

Thank you, that's a very useful summary. A quick note - it's useful to carry a Tesla Tap in the trunk. You can use it to charge your car at any Tesla "destination charger". These were installed in many hotels, golf courses, etc in Tesla's early days, and are usually good for 6.6-10kW output. The Tesla Tap does not work at Superchargers.
Great suggestion... was planning to get one but didn't think about it applying in this case.

ACC should in theory give you the best possible efficiency at the speed you set. I think the main impact on your range was it being 100 degrees. I suspect quite a bit of power went into cooling both passengers and battery pack.

Welcome to LA!
Well you may right about that. My son was blasting the AC in the back at one point and definitely could notice a more rapid decrease there.

When I took delivery of my Air DE, I wanted to make sure it was ok to use my 50A Tesla wall charger in my garage to charge the Lucid. The delivery advisor told me that they did not recommend using the Tesla Tap to convert a Tesla charger over to use in a Lucid because of fire hazard. (??). Could there be any validity to that? Or is that a ploy to make me buy a Lucid wall charger when it comes out?

When I took delivery of my Air DE, I wanted to make sure it was ok to use my 50A Tesla wall charger in my garage to charge the Lucid. The delivery advisor told me that they did not recommend using the Tesla Tap to convert a Tesla charger over to use in a Lucid because of fire hazard. (??). Could there be any validity to that? Or is that a ploy to make me buy a Lucid wall charger when it comes out?
Yes there's some element of truth to that. They're not all UL rated, and that's why they don't recommend using it. However, there are a few Testaps' that are UL rated. Do check on those

I have been using a gen one TESLA 40A charger for Plaid and the Lucid (using a micro adapter) for the last 3 plus months and 3400 miles with no issues. The micro adapter is rated for 80A and is not even warm to the touch.

This topic came up previously in other threads. Several current owners use Tesla wall chargers with the Tesla Tap 80amp minis and state they work well. I plan to use this adapter at home with my Tesla wall charger and take the mini on the road for Tesla destination chargers.

Back