Range question

Has Lucid software gotten to the point if you navigate to a DC fast charger it automatically initiates pre-condition? If our plans stay in effect I'll need to do this multiple times.
No, but it only makes a difference in extreme conditions right? If you are already driving for a long time shouldn't the battery already be near that optimum temp already from the BMS?

Has Lucid software gotten to the point if you navigate to a DC fast charger it automatically initiates pre-condition? If our plans stay in effect I'll need to do this multiple times.

No, but I’m not sure I’d want it to. It warns you when you start that it can decrease range, and you don’t *need* to - it just charges faster. But the anxiety of range dropping 20 minutes before I get to the charger without me intending to do that seems worse than remembering to manually do that.

No, but I’m not sure I’d want it to. It warns you when you start that it can decrease range, and you don’t *need* to - it just charges faster. But the anxiety of range dropping 20 minutes before I get to the charger without me intending to do that seems worse than remembering to manually do that.

If this trip happens I'll create a thread and update every time I get a Wi-Fi connection ( have to share photos!!!). I'll try it both ways.

Another question - say you have a long road trip planned in the morning, should you keep your car charged all night prior to? That way when you're ready to leave for the trip you're at 100% battery and nice and warmed up battery. OR should you charge the car to say 90% the night and then pre-condition on route to a DC fast charger to then charge up to 100% albeit at a slower rate?

Another question - say you have a long road trip planned in the morning, should you keep your car charged all night prior to? That way when you're ready to leave for the trip you're at 100% battery and nice and warmed up battery. OR should you charge the car to say 90% the night and then pre-condition on route to a DC fast charger to then charge up to 100% albeit at a slower rate?
Probably just easier to have it charged to 100. Unless you are taking long trips everyday it won't make much of a difference at all in the long run.

Probably just easier to have it charged to 100. Unless you are taking long trips everyday it won't make much of a difference at all in the long run.
Umm but then if you're car's been at a 100% SOC since a few hours prior at night, wouldn't the battery need to be preconditioned again before leaving on that road trip? Perhaps another question is, what I was not planning on charging the car at all at night? and just preconditioning it prior to arriving at an EA DC fast charger to charge from whatever SOC to 100% be simpler?

Umm but then if you're car's been at a 100% SOC since a few hours prior at night, wouldn't the battery need to be preconditioned again before leaving on that road trip? Perhaps another question is, what I was not planning on charging the car at all at night? and just preconditioning it prior to arriving at an EA DC fast charger to charge from whatever SOC to 100% be simpler?
The precondition only helps the battery charge at a faster rate if it is not at the right temperature. So for example, you leave your house and it's 30 degrees out. You drive to a charging station and your battery is still at 30 degrees. The charger rate at 30 degrees will be low, like maybe 50kw instead of 150kw. The precondition brings your battery up to the optimum charging temp so your speed is faster. I think the ideal temp is is somewhere around 75? Someone on here mentioned it in a previous post.

Did I also read that there was some benefit to hitting "Precondition" in cold weather before you start driving?

My commute is 8 miles - average speed of 30mph. I am looking to do the least amount of damage to the battery in the Massachusetts winters.

The car will not be garaged.

Did I also read that there was some benefit to hitting "Precondition" in cold weather before you start driving?

My commute is 8 miles - average speed of 30mph. I am looking to do the least amount of damage to the battery in the Massachusetts winters.

The car will not be garaged.

That's why I am hoping there will be scheduling. I park outdoors at the university and it would be nice to heat up the interior and the battery before I leave. I can get very busy and can forget to do it manually.

That's why I am hoping there will be scheduling. I park outdoors at the university and it would be nice to heat up the interior and the battery before I leave. I can get very busy and can forget to do it manually.
I walk the dogs before I head off to work (even in the winter) and it usually takes 20 minutes, not that anyone cares. Could I plug in and have the outlet power the "Precondition" or does it only "Precondition" off the battery?

I'm not saying you are correct or incorrect, but in general I wouldn't let a need to charge once on a long trip prevent you from buying an EV. In general, whatever freeway range an EV is actually capable of at 70mph, you'd want to go about 60% of that distance per leg between charges (charging from 20% to 80% at each stop). This could translate to a 20-minute stop every three or four hours, not bad. In our limited-range XC40 EV it means a stop every 90 minutes, which is a bit much, but we do arrive at our destination relaxed and comfortable.

Also - if you have a daily commute of X miles, you'll want to look for an EV with at least 2x and preferably 3x that much "EPA range".

Thanks. I agree, but I live in New York City and only use the car for long trips. Generally 300mi trips max. I wanted to charge at electrify america out in the world because garages are only slowly adding charger. I imagine it will get better, but only slowly. Icon Parking has a monopoly on garages here and generally charge 2X just for the garage if there is a charger. 1.4 million households have at least one car in the city, so we need to figure out charging away from home. Range helps a lot.

Doing max 300mi trips, I hoped to charge halfway-ish on each leg. 150 miles leaving the city, charge up, 150 mile to destination, no charge (probably could though), 150 miles towards home, charge, 150 miles to garage. I was using the same 60% number, which is why 500 miles was exactly perfect! And the road test results from InsideEVs seemed to confirm.

But I don't see anyone claiming similar highway results. I could live with getting 80% of the advertised range say 90% of the time. 200 mile legs is reasonable (200/60%/80%). I'm not buying an EV as a sports car. It is one reason I don't like Tesla, the ride is so rough. So I can drive smoothly. But 60-70% just doesn't cut it.

I have a test drive scheduled for Sunday and I'm excited regardless. I hope I can find the average power used on the car, I imagine it will be way way worse than the worse case scenario because it is being used for test drives (punch it!).

Thanks. I agree, but I live in New York City and only use the car for long trips. Generally 300mi trips max. I wanted to charge at electrify america out in the world because garages are only slowly adding charger. I imagine it will get better, but only slowly. Icon Parking has a monopoly on garages here and generally charge 2X just for the garage if there is a charger. 1.4 million households have at least one car in the city, so we need to figure out charging away from home. Range helps a lot.

Doing max 300mi trips, I hoped to charge halfway-ish on each leg. 150 miles leaving the city, charge up, 150 mile to destination, no charge (probably could though), 150 miles towards home, charge, 150 miles to garage. I was using the same 60% number, which is why 500 miles was exactly perfect! And the road test results from InsideEVs seemed to confirm.

But I don't see anyone claiming similar highway results. I could live with getting 80% of the advertised range say 90% of the time. 200 mile legs is reasonable (200/60%/80%). I'm not buying an EV as a sports car. It is one reason I don't like Tesla, the ride is so rough. So I can drive smoothly. But 60-70% just doesn't cut it.

I have a test drive scheduled for Sunday and I'm excited regardless. I hope I can find the average power used on the car, I imagine it will be way way worse than the worse case scenario because it is being used for test drives (punch it!).
Reset the trip settings before you drive

I'm new to the whole EV experience but one of the big selling points with Lucid was battery range. We've had our DE for a month now and only been driving local, charging with the "daily" setting. Yesterday we decided to take a trip out to see our son who is about 110 miles away. We had things charged up to about 78%, with miles reading 368 so figured no problem at all. Unfortunately, when we reached the destination the range was already down to 180 miles, having only completed the first leg. Most all the driving was 4 lanes or interstate driving between 65-80 MPH. We ended up stressing on the way home, but made it back with about 25 miles left on the battery indicator. So we start out with 368 miles of range for a 220 mile trip and barely make it back. Realizing that the range is an estimate and road conditions, speed, etc all factor into the actual range, we were shocked at how far off that calculation was. Are we missing something, or should we be talking to Lucid customer service?
I experienced the same problem, maybe worse, on a 310 mile road trip (both ways). I got 2.3m/kWh on the way there, and 2.8m/kWh on the way back. EPA data is around 4.4m/kWh to get the 480 mile range I'm supposed to get (I have the Dream Edition-R with 21 inch wheels). Temperature around 32-40, speed 79mph. Bad wind on the way out, so I'm not surprised the m/kWh dropped to 2.3. I have seen a graph recently on the % reduction in range with cold weather; as I recall, Tesla lost only 5%, Ford around 40%. It looks to me that Lucid range loss is among the worst in the EV industry.

I experienced the same problem, maybe worse, on a 310 mile road trip (both ways). I got 2.3m/kWh on the way there, and 2.8m/kWh on the way back. EPA data is around 4.4m/kWh to get the 480 mile range I'm supposed to get (I have the Dream Edition-R with 21 inch wheels). Temperature around 32-40, speed 79mph. Bad wind on the way out, so I'm not surprised the m/kWh dropped to 2.3. I have seen a graph recently on the % reduction in range with cold weather; as I recall, Tesla lost only 5%, Ford around 40%. It looks to me that Lucid range loss is among the worst in the EV industry.
Eh...from the company that did the survey...

Tesla maintains strict control over its cars' onboard range estimates. This means drivers won't really see the impact of hot or cold weather by looking at their Tesla's estimated range in miles. In fact, Tesla's displayed range doesn't seem to take temperature into account, otherwise, Recurrent's results would be different.

Eh...from the company that did the survey...

Tesla maintains strict control over its cars' onboard range estimates. This means drivers won't really see the impact of hot or cold weather by looking at their Tesla's estimated range in miles. In fact, Tesla's displayed range doesn't seem to take temperature into account, otherwise, Recurrent's results would be different.
So how do Tesla owners know if they are going to make it to the next charging station?

So how do Tesla owners know if they are going to make it to the next charging station?
Leap of faith? I mean the problem with that article and "testing" is that they only use the estimated range shown on dash and don't use real-world data to come to the conclusion.

I would be very surprised if Teslas only lose 5% range in cold weather. Anecdotally the impact of very cold weather is much more than that.

Leap of faith? I mean the problem with that article and "testing" is that they only use the estimated range shown on dash and don't use real-world data to come to the conclusion.
My understanding is that Tesla owners need to open an energy app (on the screen) to see a calculated range that takes into account the actual route (elevation changes etc), speed and temperature. The Home Screen only shows prorated calculation based on battery % remaining and the EPA rating which seems pretty useless unless your trip happens to exactly match an EPA test cycle… which it never will. Don’t think the energy app accounts for wind which can make a massive difference to EV range per Out of Spec Motoring’s EV range tests on YouTube

My understanding is that Tesla owners need to open an energy app (on the screen) to see a calculated range that takes into account the actual route (elevation changes etc), speed and temperature. The Home Screen only shows prorated calculation based on battery % remaining and the EPA rating which seems pretty useless unless your trip happens to exactly match an EPA test cycle… which it never will. Don’t think the energy app accounts for wind which can make a massive difference to EV range per Out of Spec Motoring’s EV range tests on YouTube
Great! So while driving one must look to the side, find the menu and select energy and then analyze the energy consumption while you drive(?) the car into a wall.

Great! So while driving one must look to the side, find the menu and select energy and then analyze the energy consumption while you drive(?) the car into a wall.
I think so,at least for the model 3, although I suppose some of that info must be integrated into the map app too. I have never researched the other models and it’s possible the model S and X interface is different since they actually have a “gauge” display. My understanding is that the % of battery left on the default home screen is always accurate but the default miles remaining is not contextual so can only be considered a rough guide.

How do the lucid range estimates work? I always assumed they were contextual (ie as long as the car knows where you are going it adjusts the estimate for expected speed, elevation change etc) but now realize I have not seen any info on this. If it is contextual I would expect that the estimated range displayed would change by entering different nav destinations.

Back