Range question

Lucid GT has a 110kw battery. you were getting 3 miles /kw. that means the fully charged battery can only drive 330 miles, which is less than 70% of Lucid rated range.
Less than 70% rated range was what I got no matter I drove on highway or local with warm 65 degree weather.
That 330 miles is at a flat out 80 mph. That alone is a major range hit; combine that with headwinds, colder weather, most likely climate being used etc, 70% of epa is quite good at that speed, and as @HC_79 said, they even achieved 3.6 during better conditions, which is 403 miles give or take. And that’s on 21” wheels which is 86% of epa..

Lucid GT has a 110kw battery. you were getting 3 miles /kw. that means the fully charged battery can only drive 330 miles, which is less than 70% of Lucid rated range.
Less than 70% rated range was what I got no matter I drove on highway or local with warm 65 degree weather.
I was doing 80mph…… no way was I ever going to get anywhere near EPA.

With nearly 6000 miles on my GT I am averaging 3.7 which gives me over 400 miles to a full charge. Recently did trip to Boston this weekend from NJ - 250 miles each way. Going to Boston tried to be somewhat conservative and limited fast accelerations (mostly 😜) and averaged 75mph and got 3.7 . Coming back to NJ, temps were 20 degrees colder and I was driving 80-85 mph in Sprint and averaged 3.2. Definitely feel is possible to get close to EPA if you wanted to, but would need to drive 60 mph and what fun is that? 😎
BTW I have 19 inch wheels but no aero covers.
Wow. I do think this car can be different things for different people. Having the DE P and DE R Lucid embraced this idea. I think Lucid is a little too focused on the highest EPA number and trying to protect it. The car gets what the car gets. Having a range estimate that is wrong for most people is not the best answer. There is plenty of real time data an available. I had a C7 Z06, sometimes I got 6mpg and sometimes 27mpg, the range estimate always reflected the last 25-50 miles, not the best 25-50 miles.

With nearly 6000 miles on my GT I am averaging 3.7 which gives me over 400 miles to a full charge. Recently did trip to Boston this weekend from NJ - 250 miles each way. Going to Boston tried to be somewhat conservative and limited fast accelerations (mostly 😜) and averaged 75mph and got 3.7 . Coming back to NJ, temps were 20 degrees colder and I was driving 80-85 mph in Sprint and averaged 3.2. Definitely feel is possible to get close to EPA if you wanted to, but would need to drive 60 mph and what fun is that? 😎
BTW I have 19 inch wheels but no aero covers.
With 19" wheels, on relatively flat ground and minimal wind, I get 93% of EPA - 4.3 m/kwh setting the speed to 73 going from San Diego to Alhambra. That's about 220 roundtrip. Definitely not a steady 73 though as traffic forces slow downs. Like you, lifetime avg of 3.7.

What drags that 4.3 highway average down to 3.7 overall average is city/local driving. The Air is a highway cruiser. If you are setting cruise control to 70 and weather is temperate with little wind, maybe you didn't reset one of your trip meters to measure just your highway efficiency?

An EV is no different from an ICE car when it comes to the range penalty one pays as speeds climb. Below is a chart for ICE vehicles from the EPA website (www.fueleconomy.gov).

A speed increase from 65mph to 80mph in an ICE vehicle causes, on average, a 27% increase in fuel consumption, causing few ICE vehicles to attain their EPA mileage ratings in real-world driving. And in an EV, you'll be paying a lot less for the extra electricity (especially with home charging) than you would for the extra gas.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 11.26.22 PM.png

An EV is no different from an ICE car when it comes to the range penalty one pays as speeds climb. Below is a chart for ICE vehicles from the EPA website (www.fueleconomy.gov).

A speed increase from 65mph to 80mph in an ICE vehicle causes, on average, a 27% increase in fuel consumption, causing few ICE vehicles to attain their EPA mileage ratings in real-world driving. And in an EV, you'll be paying a lot less for the extra electricity (especially with home charging) than you would for the extra gas.

View attachment 6671
So Utah is a bit crazy, they increased our highway speed limits to 70, and the normal driving speed for anyone is 75-80
Its going to be hard maintaining a good efficiency with speeds like that.

Lucid does not decide on the range, it is based off of an EPA test. They are allowed to advertise based on that testing. Just like every other car.
Curious how EPA sets this, when Tesla/Lucid underachieve EPA results, but BMW/Mercedes/Porsche EV’s seem to overachieve? Seems odd. Like I keep saying, EPA really needs to get more consistent with EV realistic range, as the general public will be all over this when buying their first EV.

Curious how EPA sets this, when Tesla/Lucid underachieve EPA results, but BMW/Mercedes/Porsche EV’s seem to overachieve? Seems odd. Like I keep saying, EPA really needs to get more consistent with EV realistic range, as the general public will be all over this when buying their first EV.
There are two different tests. EPA considers either acceptable. Tesla and Lucid use one. Most of the rest of the industry uses the other. The one Lucid and Tesla uses costs more, but the results are usually a bit more forgiving. I guess the rest of the industry doesn’t want to spend the extra money. Or they’d rather underpromise and over deliver. Whereas Lucid very much wants that “longest range EV on the market” claim. BMW, Mercedes, etc wouldn’t get that claim, even with the other test.

So Utah is a bit crazy, they increased our highway speed limits to 70, and the normal driving speed for anyone is 75-80
Its going to be hard maintaining a good efficiency with speeds like that.

Yeah, Utah was nice! I had cruise set above speed limit and range was reduced but made charging stops with no anxiety! When planning I thought it was going to be an issue but once driving realized it wasn't. The desert being so monotone on satellite image doesn't give you a sense of scale.

There are two different tests. EPA considers either acceptable. Tesla and Lucid use one. Most of the rest of the industry uses the other. The one Lucid and Tesla uses costs more, but the results are usually a bit more forgiving. I guess the rest of the industry doesn’t want to spend the extra money. Or they’d rather underpromise and over deliver. Whereas Lucid very much wants that “longest range EV on the market” claim. BMW, Mercedes, etc wouldn’t get that claim, even with the other test.

I think Rawlinson knew that the entire automotive universe would automatically benchmark the Lucid Air against the Tesla Model S no matter how much he tried to invite comparisons to luxury German brands. It would have been marketing folly for Lucid to use the more conservative EPA method while Tesla was using the more forgiving method.

We are on our second Model S, though, and our Lucid Air still gets closer to its EPA range in real-world highway driving than either of our Teslas did/do. And you're correct that, no matter what test any manufacturer chooses, you'll still get further down the highway in a Lucid than in any other similarly-driven EV being sold today. Even using the same EPA method, our Air Dream Performance still has 103 more miles of EPA range than our Model S Plaid (with both on 21" wheels).

Lets be honest how far can you really drive without stopping??? Lucid along with all EV companies recommend charging daily to 80%. Its 358 miles to Chicago and back home to Indy.

Does anyone actually know the useable battery capacity of the GT? I understand that the spec is 112kw. But is all of that actually useable or just theoretical? I ask because my Taycan has the 93.4kw performance battery. However, only 84kw is actually available for use.

Does anyone actually know the useable battery capacity of the GT? I understand that the spec is 112kw. But is all of that actually useable or just theoretical? I ask because my Taycan has the 93.4kw performance battery. However, only 84kw is actually available for use.

Lucid has stayed mum on what buffers, if any, their two battery packs have. There has been speculation that the buffers are smaller than with some other EVs, but no certainty.

Lucid has stayed mum on what buffers, if any, their two battery packs have. There has been speculation that the buffers are smaller than with some other EVs, but no certainty.
I would assume the buffers would still be typical because after 1 year from some owners here we're seeing very small battery degradation. And we know that maxing out the battery or getting it close continuously, especially because a lot of owners have done road trips already, would probably hurt the battery more. So I think the extra weight of the Lucid is probably the opposite (more buffer)
Who knows, just speculation

Lets be honest how far can you really drive without stopping??? Lucid along with all EV companies recommend charging daily to 80%. Its 358 miles to Chicago and back home to Indy.
It's not just about how long you can drive. It's the time to find a charger, that works, and get enough capacity to make you next stop. This is exacerbated by traveling with pets and/or young children.

Batteries will get better, and chargers will become mini destinations but for now there are compromises that I am OK with, for the most part.

We still have (2) ICE vehicles to use when needed.

I would assume the buffers would still be typical because after 1 year from some owners here we're seeing very small battery degradation. And we know that maxing out the battery or getting it close continuously, especially because a lot of owners have done road trips already, would probably hurt the battery more. So I think the extra weight of the Lucid is probably the opposite (more buffer)
Who knows, just speculation

Lucid uses Samsung batteries in the Dream and Sapphire 118-kWh battery packs and LG Chem batteries in the 112-kWh pack of the Grand Touring and GT-Performance. As both packs have 6,600 cells, the difference is either in the cell chemistry, the power management of the packs, or different buffers . . . or a combination of these factors.

Interestingly, when Lucid announced the use of Samsung batteries, they made a point that Lucid had worked with Samsung on a proprietary chemistry that was more tolerant of aggressive charging. They made no similar point when they later announced the deal to source batteries from LG Chem. This has led to speculation that the difference in the kWh rating of the two packs might lie, at least partly, with smaller buffers in the Samsung pack. Again, though, just speculation, as Lucid is staying mum.

I think Rawlinson knew that the entire automotive universe would automatically benchmark the Lucid Air against the Tesla Model S no matter how much he tried to invite comparisons to luxury German brands. It would have been marketing folly for Lucid to use the more conservative EPA method while Tesla was using the more forgiving method.

We are on our second Model S, though, and our Lucid Air still gets closer to its EPA range in real-world highway driving than either of our Teslas did/do. And you're correct that, no matter what test any manufacturer chooses, you'll still get further down the highway in a Lucid than in any other similarly-driven EV being sold today. Even using the same EPA method, our Air Dream Performance still has 103 more miles of EPA range than our Model S Plaid (with both on 21" wheels).
I think you have nailed it in this post.

It's not just about how long you can drive. It's the time to find a charger, that works, and get enough capacity to make you next stop. This is exacerbated by traveling with pets and/or young children.

Batteries will get better, and chargers will become mini destinations but for now there are compromises that I am OK with, for the most part.

We still have (2) ICE vehicles to use when needed.

I guess this is the point I was poorly making. The car goes much farther than you would have to find a working charger under most circumstances. Unless you are in one of the last few states refusing to get chargers. I see you Mississippi. 175 miles is 3 hours.

I plan road trips around stopping for breaks and meals. ABRP is good for locating restaurants near chargers. If I have been drinking Coffee or Coke Zero there's at least one or two stops before the meal break, LOL

Last edited:
On our spring road trip into the Blue Ridge mountains we drove ~80 mph on several interstate legs with 205-232 miles between each recharge stop. We usually charged up to 92-95% and never arrived at a charger with less than 28% of charge remaining. And we were more than ready for a driving break at each of these charging stops, even though a couple of times we could have easily made it to the next EA charger before stopping.

Since we weren't driving the pack down far enough to reap the benefits of Lucid's fast charging speed from a 350-kW charger, we were fine using 150-kW lines if that was all that was available. The only stress with the EA chargers was wondering how many of the stations would be malfunctioning, as one or two always were.

Back