Range question

On our recent trip from Boston to Yellowstone and back, we saw few chargers west of Chicago. A Better Route Planner said it wasn't possible to get where we were going, and we only did it by overnighting at one point at a motel near a slow charger that we left the car on overnight. Without as much range as the AGT has, we could not have done it. And yes, one day with an 80 mph speed limit, we drove only 65 because we knew we had to go 400 miles to the next charger...
In more populated areas, we did frequent short stops both for our sanity and to always have enough charge that we could just go on to the next one if a charger didn't work.

So Utah is a bit crazy, they increased our highway speed limits to 70, and the normal driving speed for anyone is 75-80
Its going to be hard maintaining a good efficiency with speeds like that.
Don't you also have an 80mph limit in some places in UT? I drove recently from SLC to Yellowstone and to Zion as well.

An EV is no different from an ICE car when it comes to the range penalty one pays as speeds climb. Below is a chart for ICE vehicles from the EPA website (www.fueleconomy.gov).

A speed increase from 65mph to 80mph in an ICE vehicle causes, on average, a 27% increase in fuel consumption, causing few ICE vehicles to attain their EPA mileage ratings in real-world driving. And in an EV, you'll be paying a lot less for the extra electricity (especially with home charging) than you would for the extra gas.

View attachment 6671
My understanding is the ICE vehicles have very high engine and transmission loss at speeds below 50 than EV. When I look at instantaneous mpg reading on my cars at 40mph vs 60 mph, I see a huge improvement at 60. I think EV is not as dramatically different in miles per KWh between 40mph and 60mph because EV is lot more efficient at 40mph than ICE. Does anyone have such info on Lucid Miles per KWh at different speeds to compare the % difference?

I take it from your figures that you have a Performance version with 19" tires?

EV range is highly variable depending on many factors. It's the same with gas-powered cars to some extent, but the ubiquity of gas stations causes people not to notice as much.

One of the big factors with an EV is outside temperature. How cold was it?

Speed is also a big factor. Driving 80 mph consumes 11-13% more energy than driving at 70 mph, which is the maximum speed any range tester uses (for legal reasons).

Also, maximum range is provided in "Smooth" mode, which has the lowest horsepower and torque output. Which mode were you using?

Your case does sound a little extreme, so it might be worth a call to Lucid to get their take. The kind of numbers you experienced are more like the experience I have had with our Teslas, and the Lucid should do a bit better.
Mountains and hills will also have a big impact

On our recent trip from Boston to Yellowstone and back, we saw few chargers west of Chicago. A Better Route Planner said it wasn't possible to get where we were going, and we only did it by overnighting at one point at a motel near a slow charger that we left the car on overnight. Without as much range as the AGT has, we could not have done it. And yes, one day with an 80 mph speed limit, we drove only 65 because we knew we had to go 400 miles to the next charger...
In more populated areas, we did frequent short stops both for our sanity and to always have enough charge that we could just go on to the next one if a charger didn't work.

Which way did you go? I didn't see a lack of chargers either going through Omaha or Topeka.

Curious how EPA sets this, when Tesla/Lucid underachieve EPA results, but BMW/Mercedes/Porsche EV’s seem to overachieve? Seems odd. Like I keep saying, EPA really needs to get more consistent with EV realistic range, as the general public will be all over this when buying their first EV.
I wrote this in another thread. Originally, the epa only allowed for the 5 cycle test but too many manufacturers howled in protest over the cost and time required so they relented and allowed the 2 cycle test. The results from 2 cycle testing is so out of whack that there is a penalty assessed - something like a 30% reduction. I agree the epa needs to choose one test that everyone uses.

The German manufacturers choose to use aggressive default settings and more aggressive options in the epa tests. You can submit any setup you want for testing and it’s been reported that Porsche submitted their most aggressive performance setup for testing. It would be like Lucid submitting a GT Performance set to Sprint mode with standard regen and saying they are using the results for all GT trims/wheel packages.

The epa also has requirements around what defaults automatically boot up on the car. This is why Lucid always boots up in Smooth. If you can set the mode to boot up in Sprint, the epa will test in Sprint mode - at least that was my reading of the requirements.

I'm new to the whole EV experience but one of the big selling points with Lucid was battery range. We've had our DE for a month now and only been driving local, charging with the "daily" setting. Yesterday we decided to take a trip out to see our son who is about 110 miles away. We had things charged up to about 78%, with miles reading 368 so figured no problem at all. Unfortunately, when we reached the destination the range was already down to 180 miles, having only completed the first leg. Most all the driving was 4 lanes or interstate driving between 65-80 MPH. We ended up stressing on the way home, but made it back with about 25 miles left on the battery indicator. So we start out with 368 miles of range for a 220 mile trip and barely make it back. Realizing that the range is an estimate and road conditions, speed, etc all factor into the actual range, we were shocked at how far off that calculation was. Are we missing something, or should we be talking to Lucid customer service?
One or two considerations about mileage that I can share after a recent road trip from San Diego to Santa Fe: the first 50+ miles were driving over a few 4,000’ passes through the mountains early in the morning when temperatures were down in the low 30’s….miles per KWh were 2.0, driving down into the desert and temperatures in the low 50’s increased the miles/KWh to 3.2…similarly, driving from Phoenix (1,100’elevation) to Flagstaff (7,000’ elevation) 2.4 miles/KWh with temperatures mid 50’s but either driving 50-60 behind big rigs or 75-80 to pass…the rest of the trip turned in at about 3.4 miles/KWh …..so, topography and temperature are important along with what a CC representative advised me about …a break-in period for the first 2-2,500 miles. An easy look at the variables of temperature and speed can be found in the Chargeway app. It allows car to be entered, charge %, speed and temperature. I find that it correlates well with the “ABRP” app and makes a great “what-if“ calculator. Photo is this morning in Santa Fe….

Attachments

• 47481470-73E7-4FA7-B477-04F7EBC77C70.jpeg
    47481470-73E7-4FA7-B477-04F7EBC77C70.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 104
I'm new to the whole EV experience but one of the big selling points with Lucid was battery range. We've had our DE for a month now and only been driving local, charging with the "daily" setting. Yesterday we decided to take a trip out to see our son who is about 110 miles away. We had things charged up to about 78%, with miles reading 368 so figured no problem at all. Unfortunately, when we reached the destination the range was already down to 180 miles, having only completed the first leg. Most all the driving was 4 lanes or interstate driving between 65-80 MPH. We ended up stressing on the way home, but made it back with about 25 miles left on the battery indicator. So we start out with 368 miles of range for a 220 mile trip and barely make it back. Realizing that the range is an estimate and road conditions, speed, etc all factor into the actual range, we were shocked at how far off that calculation was. Are we missing something, or should we be talking to Lucid customer service?
I have same issue and there is nothing LUCID can/will do. Bottom line, turn off radio and A/C and drive only on highway at 65 and you'll get better range but for trip planning, I would figure half of the miles that your car shows

There are a lot of factors, and after about 2.5k-3k miles the estimation and efficiency improve drastically, both because the car motors get “broken in” and because we humans get better at driving the car.

Make sure you’re on the high regen setting, too.

I have a Lucid GT with 21" wheels. I expect the max. range is 450 miles. I drove on I5 from San Francisco to Los Angles. I charged my Lucid battery to 410 miles, After I drove approx. 200 miles, the battery only have less than 95 miles left. I drove 2000+ miles so far, using smooth mode and high regen. highway driving at 70 mph.
I came back from LA to SF a week later, I had the same mileage problem. I am only getting 70% of rated mileage which is very disappointing.
I am not sure it has a defect battery or false advertisement. I can't get good explanation from Lucid customer care so far.
Does anyone run into the similar problem?
I have a Dream Air Range Edition with 21" wheels. Should get 480 mile range. I have the same problem with much lower range in cold weather, or when driving over 70mph. A recent OTA software update removed from the dash panel the miles per kWh which I found extremely useful in helping me know when I need to slow down to extend range, or alter my driving (fast starts). I'm very upset that Lucid software engineering is taking away information from owners when they should be adding more. Look at Mercedes S560 dashboard that has available every piece of data any driver would want. I've given this feedback to Lucid, but have been ignored so far.

I have a Dream Air Range Edition with 21" wheels. Should get 480 mile range. I have the same problem with much lower range in cold weather, or when driving over 70mph. A recent OTA software update removed from the dash panel the miles per kWh which I found extremely useful in helping me know when I need to slow down to extend range, or alter my driving (fast starts). I'm very upset that Lucid software engineering is taking away information from owners when they should be adding more. Look at Mercedes S560 dashboard that has available every piece of data any driver would want. I've given this feedback to Lucid, but have been ignored so far.
I think a lot of us are hoping that's an oversight on their part, and that they will add back miles per kWh on the main display soon. Or have it be a bit customizable, so you can add it or not according to your preferences.

I think a lot of us are hoping that's an oversight on their part, and that they will add back miles per kWh on the main display soon. Or have it be a bit customizable, so you can add it or not according to your preferences.

A scroll between %-miles-mi/kWh would be awesome!

I was told that it was not an oversight... that they PLANNED to remove it and at the same time PLANNED on adding it back later, which in turns makes me ask "then WTF was it removed?"
I want numbers that are always there, if there is a "scroll", then it has to be by MY COMMAND (another physical switch, but making the wiper control a physical switch is FAR more important).
Yes, there are TONS of missing numbers... older VW (1997, perhaps as early as 1985 or before) had things like average speed and drive time... and I dearly miss having both for both trip A & B.

I was told that it was not an oversight... that they PLANNED to remove it and at the same time PLANNED on adding it back later, which in turns makes me ask "then WTF was it removed?"
I want numbers that are always there, if there is a "scroll", then it has to be by MY COMMAND (another physical switch, but making the wiper control a physical switch is FAR more important).
Yes, there are TONS of missing numbers... older VW (1997, perhaps as early as 1985 or before) had things like average speed and drive time... and I dearly miss having both for both trip A & B.
In 1.x software there were bugs with the calculation in efficiency since last charge which could be observed by resetting the trip indicator at the end of charge and comparing the two results. They may have intentionally removed it until that bug is fixed. I agree with the desire to have it back.

In 1.x software there were bugs with the calculation in efficiency since last charge which could be observed by resetting the trip indicator at the end of charge and comparing the two results. They may have intentionally removed it until that bug is fixed. I agree with the desire to have it back.
A bug in SLC calc/display does not constitute a reason to remove it for Trip A & B...

I got my lucid air gt 11/3. 21 inch wheels. On average I lose 10 percent of original estimated range for every 100 miles I’m traveling. I live in south Fl. Drove up to Greenville sc last week for thanksgiving. The 10 percent loss per 100 m held true.

Temperatures were moderate. Around 78 Ave.

Driving back tonight. Not going to use the a/c if I can help it.

…. Update… just a little while ago I charged to 80 percent or 375m

Have now gone 94 miles at cruise consoled 72mph. I have 252 miles of range. No ac the whole time.

So 94 • 252 = 346. 375-346= 29 mile of range lost in 94 miles traveled. Better than the nearly 50 miles of range lost per 100 with a/c but still… this is a lot of range loss

I got my lucid air gt 11/3. 21 inch wheels. On average I lose 10 percent of original estimated range for every 100 miles I’m traveling. I live in south Fl. Drove up to Greenville sc last week for thanksgiving. The 10 percent loss per 100 m held true.

Have now gone 94 miles at cruise consoled 72mph. I have 252 miles of range. No ac the whole time.

So 94 • 252 = 346. 375-346= 29 mile of range lost in 94 miles traveled. Better than the nearly 50 miles of range lost per 100 with a/c but still… this is a lot of range loss
The 21" wheels in good weather with no wind traveling around 70mph you should expect around 80% of EPA.

It’s less that you’re “losing” range and more that the EPA range and (unfortunately) the remaining range stated by the car are achievable only under the most ideal circumstances. I wish it were instead based on recent driving efficiency. Until then, subract 10-20%.

The only stress with the EA chargers was wondering how many of the stations would be malfunctioning, as one or two always were.
exactly^*^
My only anxiety in the Lucid is Charger functioning anxiety

Back