"Range" mode to limit acceleration and top speed

Would you use a "range" mode that significantly curbs down acceleration?

• Yes please! On some days I would like to get more range without actively checking my driving habits

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Sure, not for me though (like for kids and older relatives)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Nah, Smooth mode is good enough.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

noobzilla

It's likely this has been brought up somewhere here already or maybe exists already, please point me there if it does. I do not have an Air but I understand that Smooth and Swift modes reduces horsepower and increases regen breaking vs Sprint mode. I've been reading posts and noticed most users achieving significantly lower range than EPA estimate. It's expected we would get lower range... I mean who drive this kind of car like a Prius capped at 70mph?

Actually, my mom would! Or if I'm teaching a new driver then I would want this beast significantly tamed with much lower acceleration and perhaps 75-85mph top speed (or something I can manually set). Smooth mode already probably does something similar, but not aggressive enough in curbing acceleration to keep the car's range at least within 90% of EPA estimate.

Also out of habit I would probably hit the pedal hard after stops but for the sake of range and safety some kind of "range" mode to chain down my inner acceleration demon would be nice.

My understanding is that Smooth and Swift modes have the same horsepower, but Swift bumps up the torque. I have neither heard about nor sensed any reduction in regenerative braking in Sprint mode, but maybe I was not paying close enough attention to notice.

I understand why someone with teenage drivers in the house might want to be able to limit the power output. Even in Smooth mode, this car could get an enthusiastic teenager or careless driver in trouble very quickly. With Lucid, "smooth" means smooth, not slow.

So far half the votes wanting some kind of "range" mode.
You can never have enough range. People may tell you that “you need to take a break” but once you have had an EV for a while, the range never seems to be enough - driving conditions, wind, temperature, hills, driving speed, AC use, fast charger availability, waiting for a charger to be free, chargers not working, time to charge, battery degradation over time, etc. etc. etc….

“But what about range?
In November Cooper Ericksen, Toyota Motor North America VP for product planning and strategy, told GCR that while Toyota will make affordability and not range the center of its EV play, Lexus might not take the same path. The executive noted that 400 to 500 miles of range is the goal for luxury models. This requires the use of much larger batteries with more cells, heavier carbon footprint per vehicle, and higher sticker prices.

We are getting mixed messages from Toyota and Lexus executives at a time where a shift is taking place and—in the U.S.—200 to 230 miles of range simply isn’t competitive with the latest crop of electric cars.“

The EQS has an interesting "range" option that turns off some stuff. This should be easy for Lucid to do also. It's nice to have a single button to press.

Attachments

• EQS.jpg
    EQS.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The EQS has an interesting "range" option that turns off some stuff.
So I am heading out tomorrow on a fairly long trip (190 miles out then back later in the day). I'm planning to leave my home around 6:30 am so I'm thinking I will turn off the climate control to help with range. What else should I think about shutting off? Also, when I turn off the climate control I don't have any air coming through the vents at all. Is there a way to just have fresh air circulating without turning on the climate control? Almost all Freeway so I'm planning to use cruise control and set it at 75 mph (which according to Tom's video review should actually be around 72 mph).

Back