Pure vs grand touring

Ok I am sure this will piss some people off? But I bought a pure ten days ago.. and I love it.. it’s quick , fun to drive, and smoother.. runs nearly silent.. I like the body color roof as opposed to the two tone look.

Mine went in for service and as a loaner they gave me a grand touring… and first off launch mode in the grand touring is scary fun… but other than that I found the air suspension to be bumpier than the traditional suspension on the pure, the motor whine from the front engine is obnoxious, I hate the glass roof, and acceleration and deceleration are not as smooth … plus the vehicle feels heavy .. traction and handling are of course much better with awd, and the power of the two motors in mind bending

I was legit stoked when they told me I wood get to drive a grand touring for a week.. I am shocked to say I much prefer the rws pure version to awd .. the pure feels like a luxury sports car.. I am not sure what to call the grand touring other incredibly fun but not refined
I also went with the Pure after driving both the RWD and AWD. The Pure seemed much smoother and more quiet. I love driving it!

Generally speaking, 19s will offer a smoother ride on the same car than 20s and 20s will generally be smoother than 21s on that same car.
As a generalization, I agree but on an Air, the 21 and 19s both have max inflation specification of 50 psi and recommended psi of 42 and 49. I found it difficult to note much of a difference in ride quality between the 2 and I attribute a lot of that to the higher inflation value of the 19s. While ride quality is similar, the fun factor difference is very apparent. The 20s are a good compromise dropping a little range for more fun and I would have gone with those if they were available when I got my GT. In the end, I’m better off having 19s on my car as when I had a loaner with 21s, I was doing things I would be scared to try on 19s so it keeps me out of trouble and the screaming from passengers (or was it me) to a minimum.

Fun post. I love my '23 GT, but I would give my right arm to get rid of the motor whine, which all sources say come from the front motor, so it stands to reason that the Pure wouldn't have it. What a huge improvement it would be if noise that just weren't there (which is how the car should have been). I think the motor whine is basically awful and unacceptable (even though I've had no choice but to accept it). But here in New England, AWD is a must. As far as the power goes, it's completely nuts in Smooth - how could anyone need more really? Sprint and Sport are a huge kick but mainly a pride of ownership thing - I mainly use them to impress people who are already freaked out from what Smooth just did to them. Throttle transition (tip-in) is a bit too jumpy in Sport and Sprint. Also - worth a mention - every time I goose it in Sprint, state of charge drops by 1%! Sport Mode's suspension changes are good; these should be controllable separately. Handling is excellent. Ride quality is good but I can see room for improvement. I've never driven a Pure so I don't have that frame of reference.

Reactions: DBV
Ok I am sure this will piss some people off? But I bought a pure ten days ago.. and I love it.. it’s quick , fun to drive, and smoother.. runs nearly silent.. I like the body color roof as opposed to the two tone look.

Mine went in for service and as a loaner they gave me a grand touring… and first off launch mode in the grand touring is scary fun… but other than that I found the air suspension to be bumpier than the traditional suspension on the pure, the motor whine from the front engine is obnoxious, I hate the glass roof, and acceleration and deceleration are not as smooth … plus the vehicle feels heavy .. traction and handling are of course much better with awd, and the power of the two motors in mind bending

I was legit stoked when they told me I wood get to drive a grand touring for a week.. I am shocked to say I much prefer the rws pure version to awd .. the pure feels like a luxury sports car.. I am not sure what to call the grand touring other incredibly fun but not refined
Eh, Rawlinson also said Pure RWD is his favorite, no?

This reminds me of all the old debates about Audi Quattro vs BMW RWD. Personally, I've always favored AWD, but there will always be people who prefer the feel of RWD.

Fortunately, Lucid makes a car for both camps.

Fun post. I love my '23 GT, but I would give my right arm to get rid of the motor whine, which all sources say come from the front motor, so it stands to reason that the Pure wouldn't have it. What a huge improvement it would be if noise that just weren't there (which is how the car should have been). I think the motor whine is basically awful and unacceptable (even though I've had no choice but to accept it). But here in New England, AWD is a must. As far as the power goes, it's completely nuts in Smooth - how could anyone need more really? Sprint and Sport are a huge kick but mainly a pride of ownership thing - I mainly use them to impress people who are already freaked out from what Smooth just did to them. Throttle transition (tip-in) is a bit too jumpy in Sport and Sprint. Also - worth a mention - every time I goose it in Sprint, state of charge drops by 1%! Sport Mode's suspension changes are good; these should be controllable separately. Handling is excellent. Ride quality is good but I can see room for improvement. I've never driven a Pure so I don't have that frame of reference.
Re the whining, am i assuming correctly that you are not married?

Another thing that might make a difference in feeling the bumps on the road is the PSI of the tires, if your pure is slightly lower (due to not having it pumped to the recommended psi) it can feel smoother. My tires are now at 47 psi and it feels a lot smoother than when I pump it to 49 psi. I'm on 19 inch tires (air touring).

Another thing that might make a difference in feeling the bumps on the road is the PSI of the tires, if your pure is slightly lower (due to not having it pumped to the recommended psi) it can feel smoother. My tires are now at 47 psi and it feels a lot smoother than when I pump it to 49 psi. I'm on 19 inch tires (air touring).
Good point.

I would say your write in the GT is spot on, I would only add that the acceleration is like nothing I have ever driven before and is on another level from the pure, plus the extra battery life is nice

This reminds me of all the old debates about Audi Quattro vs BMW RWD. Personally, I've always favored AWD, but there will always be people who prefer the feel of RWD.

Fortunately, Lucid makes a car for both camps.
I love all wheel drive… this is my first vehicle in 15 years with out it.. and was a decision made based on cost and that I live in Southern California and my other vehicle is all wheel drive

My pure only has 509 miles on it and air was at 47, I did not check the gt psi (it’s a loaner from lucid so would imagine it’s filled to their spec)

I am likely in the minority here but I appreciate the motor noise. It lends some speed related feedback.
that is correct an car and driver article i read confused me.. it was "air" as in the model.. and was phrased wierd.. my bad

I ordered the Pure. but got the Touring when they announced a price drop if I upgraded. I like the glass roof and front frunk automatic open/close which I wouldm't have gotten with the Pure. Pure feels more sporty and throwable, Touring feels more heavy and planted like an executive saloon.

I like the front whine...adds character. Hate the car being silent, want to know what the motor is doing.

The question is here: Can you afford a GT? It's like asking: Do you want a BMW X7 40 or the X7 M50?
Why would you ever go with the X7 40? To save gas (then you would look for another model/brand).
However, if you can't afford the add. 14k for the M50 then the X7 40 is still a good choice and maybe next time you make it to the M50 :-)

Back to Lucid: If you have the money, I would always go with the GT (the AWD is already enough justification for that).

Who really cares about the front motor noise to make a decision to buy a Pure?
Also, if I am not on a long Road Trip and have to watch out for efficiency, I always drive in Sprint (my BMW and Ioniq 5 are also always "on" Sport).

I love the GT and being able to keep the 98% of Elon's Teslas where they belong: Behind me :-)

Last edited:
I love all wheel drive… this is my first vehicle in 15 years with out it.. and was a decision made based on cost and that I live in Southern California and my other vehicle is all wheel drive
SoCal? Make sure to make this sticky: https://lucidowners.com/forums/california.33/

Also check out this: https://lucidowners.com/threads/sun...e-will-have-100s-of-evs-1000s-of-people.9637/

And this: https://lucidowners.com/threads/lucids-lattes-socal-sunday-9-29-7-15-am.9835/

I like the front whine...adds character. Hate the car being silent, want to know what the motor is doing.
Yeah, same. It really is a love it / hate it thing, it seems.

Back