Preferred Allocations?

RedwoodEmpire

Verified Owner
Cars
AirGT, F450, Model X, Ody
Not to sound like my local Porsche dealer (if you bought 5 Macans, maybe we can get you a GT3 RS allocation), but with the Gravity being the more high volume (crossover/SUV) model due up next, should Lucid give existing Air owners a preferred allocation/jump the line?

On one hand, the Gravity isn’t a limited run enthusiast product so they might be able to sell all they can build.

On the other hand, it would be a nice gesture to extend to current Air owners because of their belief in the product/company.

Curious what others’ thoughts are?

Not to sound like my local Porsche dealer (if you bought 5 Macans, maybe we can get you a GT3 RS allocation), but with the Gravity being the more high volume (crossover/SUV) model due up next, should Lucid give existing Air owners a preferred allocation/jump the line?

On one hand, the Gravity isn’t a limited run enthusiast product so they might be able to sell all they can build.

On the other hand, it would be a nice gesture to extend to current Air owners because of their belief in the product/company.

Curious what others’ thoughts are?
I would not be surprised if Dream Edition owners got access to the reservation system earlier than others. But for all Air owners? I don't know.

I think you are right they will be able to catch up to demand on Gravity way faster than the Air, anyway. So it may not be necessary. But it wouldn't hurt for brand loyalty.

I have no interest in Gravity, so I don't have a horse in this race.

Will the Gravity be in such high demand in 2024, outstripping Lucid's manufacturing capability, that there will be a line? This will most likely be a $100k SUV with ever more competitors.

Yes, being an early GT owner, I not only expect a preferred allocation, I also want Peter to personally autograph the SUV and pose for a picture with us sitting in the frunk. Anything less and I'm canceling my order.

Oh forgot to add ... still waiting for my pencils.

They’ve already stated Air owners will have priority

Lucid should pray the line for Gravity is so long that they need to pick winners and losers.

Look at Tesla's release today--M3 and MY sales are exponentially greater than MS and MX

The Air backlog at the Feb earning call will say a lot, IMO..... but to survive they need to sell cars to the masses

should Lucid give existing Air owners a preferred allocation/jump the line?
@SDHacker beat me to the punch.

Yes I've been told multiple times that Air owners will get preference for Gravity

Thanks for the info on this! I had no idea they had already talked about giving allocations to existing Air owners.

I would not be surprised if Dream Edition owners got access to the reservation system earlier than others. But for all Air owners? I don't know.

I think you are right they will be able to catch up to demand on Gravity way faster than the Air, anyway. So it may not be necessary. But it wouldn't hurt for brand loyalty.

I have no interest in Gravity, so I don't have a horse in this race.
I want a dream without a air...

I don't think they should give any priority to present Air owners. It will tick off a lot of potential new customers to the brand if they have to wait longer for the vehicle.

I don't think they should give any priority to present Air owners. It will tick off a lot of potential new customers to the brand if they have to wait longer for the vehicle.
Let me guess - you don’t presently own an Air? :p

For people that are use to buying off the lot, that might be true but given the long waits on reservation lists for most EVs (sorry VW, no waiting required for ID4s), I think people have gotten the message. My brother has been on the cybertruck reservation list for 3 years. I would be ticked if I reserved an Ioniq 5 or EV6 and was told it would be months but the guy down the street went to the dealer and was able to pick one up. How does that make sense?

Anyway, I think there is real value to Lucid when there are owners that bought another Air or Gravity in addition to the Air they already own. Nothing like someone saying they like the Air so much that they bought another Lucid.

Let me preface this post by admitting that I’m not a current Lucid owner (I was on the reservation list, but after sitting in the car in the showroom, the car is too challenging for me to enter/exit so I cancelled my reservation to wait for the Gravity. I’m 6’4” and weigh 280 pounds) and I’m extraordinarily jealous of all you current Lucid owners! I’m against the idea of previous owners being given preference for Gravity reservations. Mind you, I would probably be in favor of it IF I were a current owner!😉 The idea is to sell cars and SUV’s, make money, boost profits, and become a more successful company. I suspect there will be some two Lucid owners (I would LOVE to be in that group BTW!), but there will be many who sell their initial buy to get a Gravity and then sell that one for a newer model. There will also be those that sell their spot on the reservation list. So, my long-winded point is that for the company to be more successful, they need to sell to more people and increase their presence/visibility on the highway. The best example was the Mustang. They sold to everyone; then, more and more people saw/liked it, wanted one, and bought one. This translated to what was likely the most successful launch of any new car. Now Mustang is entrenched as much-wanted car that has boosted Ford’s profits. Again, yes, I’m crazy jealous of all you current Lucid owners and this my pitch to get an equal shot at getting on the reservation list. Don’t hate me for wanting to be like you😁!

Let me preface this post by admitting that I’m not a current Lucid owner (I was on the reservation list, but after sitting in the car in the showroom, the car is too challenging for me to enter/exit so I cancelled my reservation to wait for the Gravity. I’m 6’4” and weigh 280 pounds) and I’m extraordinarily jealous of all you current Lucid owners! I’m against the idea of previous owners being given preference for Gravity reservations. Mind you, I would probably be in favor of it IF I were a current owner!😉 The idea is to sell cars and SUV’s, make money, boost profits, and become a more successful company. I suspect there will be some two Lucid owners (I would LOVE to be in that group BTW!), but there will be many who sell their initial buy to get a Gravity and then sell that one for a newer model. There will also be those that sell their spot on the reservation list. So, my long-winded point is that for the company to be more successful, they need to sell to more people and increase their presence/visibility on the highway. The best example was the Mustang. They sold to everyone; then, more and more people saw/liked it, wanted one, and bought one. This translated to what was likely the most successful launch of any new car. Now Mustang is entrenched as much-wanted car that has boosted Ford’s profits. Again, yes, I’m crazy jealous of all you current Lucid owners and this my pitch to get an equal shot at getting on the reservation list. Don’t hate me for wanting to be like you😁!
You can't sell your spot on the reservation list as Lucid doesn't allow you to transfer reservations to someone else. Whether Lucid is selling its cars to existing owners or new the job of getting the brand recognized works either way. AMP-1 is undergoing a MASSIVE expansion to accommodate for Gravity so IF Lucid has a successful production ramp up people shouldn't be waiting too long as once the initial expansion is completed AMP-1 should be able to produce 90,000+ cars per year.

Who knows how popular it will even be. SUV's are more expensive than sedans and if the current pricing on the Air is to go by you could be pushing near $200K for the top end SUV which could put a lot of people off. In other words, I think there will be plenty of Gravity's to go around regardless of who got access to a pre-order or not. :)

The best example was the Mustang
Well, Lucid is selling the Air to everyone. The Bronco would be the appropriate example for Ford as it followed the Mustang by a couple of years and maintained the horse theme.

I'm afraid wide adoption of Lucid vehicles won't happen until the mid-size models are released and competitively priced for what it offers. The Air and Gravity are niche offerings like the MS/MX/both EQS's. By 2025/26 when it's projected Lucid will offer such a vehicle, it will be interesting to see what the EV landscape looks like.

BTW, I'm 5' 8", 160 lbs and my biggest irritation with the car is entry/exit so don't know how long I would keep the car if I was 8" taller. You made the right choice to wait for the Gravity.

They want to break into a market of about 600k cars annually, for luxury mid-size SUVs in the US. Even the Porsche Cayenne sells about 2k/month and Model X about 3k/month. Can they expect to sell 90k units per year into that market? Without a GLC/X3/Q5 competitor, I would guess not.

On the other hand, a lot of their cars will go to the Middle East (initially in the form of knock-down kits until their Saudi plant is capable of building cars from scratch) and they have the Saudi 100k car order backstop.

Back