Paint drip and wiper/trim issue and Quality Control

izNos

Cars
Air GT, EQS 580
I'm now about 2 weeks in and overall loving how my GT drives.

Since we're all about sharing our delivery experience, I wanted to point out two things that were a problem and things people should watch out for. I'd note that the Lucid mobile tech guys here in Dallas have been phenomenal and responsive and are all over getting these issues fixed up.

1. The rear bumper has pain drips on it, like pretty bad. In short, they need to take the car to the approved body shop for a quote and bring it back to me. Next will be to get the quote approved by Lucid followed by getting the bumper repainted. Can't lie about how frustrating this is. I'll get a rental car during the time it's gone, not to mention not excited about a repainted bumper.

2. The trim that the wipers rest on came warped causing the driver's side wiper blade to catch and pull out of the groove it sits in. The tech ordered the part and they came by today and swapped it out for a new one.
I must say that I'm really surprised that these two glaring items were missed in the pre-delivery inspections at the factory, the Houston facility, and the DA. If anyone checked if the wipers/washer fluid was working, they would have clearly noticed.

With all that said, I'm really a fan of the mobile techs and how seamless and communicative they have been. Despite serious UI issues we all know will improve with time, Lucid clearly makes the best driving EV. I know their quality control will definitely continue to improve as well.

1665112691731.png

1665112720871.png

I'm now about 2 weeks in and overall loving how my GT drives.

Since we're all about sharing our delivery experience, I wanted to point out two things that were a problem and things people should watch out for. I'd note that the Lucid mobile tech guys here in Dallas have been phenomenal and responsive and are all over getting these issues fixed up.

1. The rear bumper has pain drips on it, like pretty bad. In short, they need to take the car to the approved body shop for a quote and bring it back to me. Next will be to get the quote approved by Lucid followed by getting the bumper repainted. Can't lie about how frustrating this is. I'll get a rental car during the time it's gone, not to mention not excited about a repainted bumper.

2. The trim that the wipers rest on came warped causing the driver's side wiper blade to catch and pull out of the groove it sits in. The tech ordered the part and they came by today and swapped it out for a new one.
I must say that I'm really surprised that these two glaring items were missed in the pre-delivery inspections at the factory, the Houston facility, and the DA. If anyone checked if the wipers/washer fluid was working, they would have clearly noticed.

With all that said, I'm really a fan of the mobile techs and how seamless and communicative they have been. Despite serious UI issues we all know will improve with time, Lucid clearly makes the best driving EV. I know their quality control will definitely continue to improve as well.

View attachment 5280
View attachment 5281
Are you sure those are paint drips and not water spots? I'm not arguing of course, it's just hard to tell from the image.

Are you sure those are paint drips and not water spots? I'm not arguing of course, it's just hard to tell from the image.
100% positive. You can run your finger over them and they're as big/elevated as they look. And I totally agree that in the photo they look like they could be water. When i first saw it, I wiped away the dust as you can see because I wasn't sure myself. I'll get some more photos tomorrow and maybe a video.

I guess on the plus side you know there is a lot of paint on the bumper ;). It also looks like you might have a couple blisters where the paint has released from the bumper, probably a sign of bad prep in general. Some folks on youtube have done paint inspections on the Lucid and found it to be very thin in some places.

Some folks on youtube have done paint inspections on the Lucid and found it to be very thin in some places.
Those all appear to be cars produced before the production management shakeup. I'm very satisfied with the fit and finish of my red GT (picked up end of Sept). Looked at the panel gaps/alignment/paint quality and only found a tiny bit of adhesive on the rear bumper, dried water spots, and a small scratch on the cantrail. There is a very light orange peel texture seen in the paint at very close range. The detailing crew came out and removed the adhesive, water spots, and must have buffed out the scratch because after signing the paperwork, I couldn't find the scratch anymore. Took the car for front ppf/ceramic and asked the shop to keep an eye out for anything I should take back to Lucid. When I picked up the car, the manager said everything was fine with the car and they haven't had any issues with the Lucids they've worked on. No unusually thin paint. Then she asked if I owned any Teslas and after I said "No", told me they see issues with Teslas all the time and rolled her eyes. Guess there is the automatic comparison since they are both EVs.

I've really gone over the car since I got it home and two things I've seen is the trunk lid liner isn't perfectly aligned - a glue strip is partially exposed and the front passenger door "trigger" to open the door requires more force than the others. Very glad I got the rubber mats as the Tahoe mats got dirty quickly and the rubber mats look like they need to be washed already. As others have mentioned, the small size of the cupholders is just stupid since so many of us use insulated items that don't have a problem fitting in our other vehicles.

It is kind of irritating that I can't leave the car unlocked in the garage. I also don't like how you can't turn the car "off" if any of the doors are open. When I scotchgarded the car and had the frunk/trunk/doors open, I couldn't figure out a way to power down the car (fob was in a faraday pouch in the house).

Those all appear to be cars produced before the production management shakeup. I'm very satisfied with the fit and finish of my red GT (picked up end of Sept). Looked at the panel gaps/alignment/paint quality and only found a tiny bit of adhesive on the rear bumper, dried water spots, and a small scratch on the cantrail. There is a very light orange peel texture seen in the paint at very close range. The detailing crew came out and removed the adhesive, water spots, and must have buffed out the scratch because after signing the paperwork, I couldn't find the scratch anymore. Took the car for front ppf/ceramic and asked the shop to keep an eye out for anything I should take back to Lucid. When I picked up the car, the manager said everything was fine with the car and they haven't had any issues with the Lucids they've worked on. No unusually thin paint. Then she asked if I owned any Teslas and after I said "No", told me they see issues with Teslas all the time and rolled her eyes. Guess there is the automatic comparison since they are both EVs.

I've really gone over the car since I got it home and two things I've seen is the trunk lid liner isn't perfectly aligned - a glue strip is partially exposed and the front passenger door "trigger" to open the door requires more force than the others. Very glad I got the rubber mats as the Tahoe mats got dirty quickly and the rubber mats look like they need to be washed already. As others have mentioned, the small size of the cupholders is just stupid since so many of us use insulated items that don't have a problem fitting in our other vehicles.

It is kind of irritating that I can't leave the car unlocked in the garage. I also don't like how you can't turn the car "off" if any of the doors are open. When I scotchgarded the car and had the frunk/trunk/doors open, I couldn't figure out a way to power down the car (fob was in a faraday pouch in the house).
Where did you get rubber mats for the car?

My car was delivered end of September as well with an August VIN assignment.

As an update- Lucid has the body shop quote to repaint the rear bumper. Waiting for them to approve it to get it repainted.

My car was delivered end of September as well with an August VIN assignment.

As an update- Lucid has the body shop quote to repaint the rear bumper. Waiting for them to approve it to get it repainted.
Also an end of September delivery and the fit/finish is lackluster.

Back