OTA Updates Not Possible to Chinese EV With Aftermarket parts

I believe the Magnuson-Moss act (1975) requires that if the OEM requires the use of OEM parts to maintain warranty coverage the OEM need to supply the parts.
If BMW requires me to change my oil filter every 7500 miles, they can't deny engine coverage because I used a Purolator filter (assuming the Purolator meets published BMW standards). If they require only a BMW filter to keep coverage they must supply the filter.

I believe the Magnuson-Moss act (1975) requires that if the OEM requires the use of OEM parts to maintain warranty coverage the OEM need to supply the parts.
If BMW requires me to change my oil filter every 7500 miles, they can't deny engine coverage because I used a Purolator filter (assuming the Purolator meets published BMW standards). If they require only a BMW filter to keep coverage they must supply the filter.
Yes, I'm aware of the impact of not using OEM parts on a warranty.

My question is more about the potential impact of using aftermarket parts on OTA software updates to EVs like the Air.
EVs seems to be increasingly software driven with less reliance on actual hardware for correcting or improving functionality of the EV.
For example the last OTA (2.3.0) added a Lights Off button to the cockpit panel. There was a time, with an ICE car, if that button/switch didn't exist, the owner had to consider another solution.

Maybe a good scenario: For those who have replaced the audio system in the Air with an aftermarket system. If Lucid pushes out an OTA update that improves the performance of the Surreal Sound system or offers a mid-level Surreal Sound Advance (SSA) version between basic Surreal Sound and Surreal Sound Pro. Might it be possible for only those with the OEM to take advantage of the improved performance or the new mid-level SSA? I'm just speculating here, so this might not be the best example.

I'm not looking for an answer and the audio system scenario may not even be an issue.
There may not even be that many parts on the Air that can be replaced with aftermarket parts.
It may be awhile until answers are known anyone, because aftermarket parts for the Air don't even currently exist; absent an audio system, wheels, etc.

Just speculating on a future potential issue and also continuing to educate myself and explore EVs as I patiently wait for the Gravity.

Yes, I'm aware of the impact of not using OEM parts on a warranty.

My question is more about the potential impact of using aftermarket parts on OTA software updates to EVs like the Air.
EVs seems to be increasingly software driven with less reliance on actual hardware for correcting or improving functionality of the EV.
For example the last OTA (2.3.0) added a Lights Off button to the cockpit panel. There was a time, with an ICE car, if that button/switch didn't exist, the owner had to consider another solution.

Maybe a good scenario: For those who have replaced the audio system in the Air with an aftermarket system. If Lucid pushes out an OTA update that improves the performance of the Surreal Sound system or offers a mid-level Surreal Sound Advance (SSA) version between basic Surreal Sound and Surreal Sound Pro. Might it be possible for only those with the OEM to take advantage of the improved performance or the new mid-level SSA? I'm just speculating here, so this might not be the best example.

I'm not looking for an answer and the audio system scenario may not even be an issue.
There may not even be that many parts on the Air that can be replaced with aftermarket parts.
It may be awhile until answers are known anyone, because aftermarket parts for the Air don't even currently exist; absent an audio system, wheels, etc.

Just speculating on a future potential issue and also continuing to educate myself and explore EVs as I patiently wait for the Gravity.
All aftermarket mods for stereo basically work with the factory amps outputs, digitally reprocess them, then amplify them again. Thus there's no "digital" key possible because the output is basically an analog waveform. The factory amp wouldn't know what's behind it. So no real worries there.

Upgrades to the factory audio system "could" happen and affect the outputs / tune of the factory system, thus aftermarket processors would need to be re-tuned.

Because all the Atmos upmixing is happening within the Lucid system, even if they made updates there, it wouldn't brick the aftermarket system because that's happening all upstream of the aftermarket audio.

FYI: The Base Surreal Sound system are now physically missing amplifiers and drivers. So a software unlock is no longer possible. Only some 22' and 23' models had all the hardware but were software locked. This only happened before they started to product the base audio systems.

All aftermarket mods for stereo basically work with the factory amps outputs, digitally reprocess them, then amplify them again. Thus there's no "digital" key possible because the output is basically an analog waveform. The factory amp wouldn't know what's behind it. So no real worries there.

Upgrades to the factory audio system "could" happen and affect the outputs / tune of the factory system, thus aftermarket processors would need to be re-tuned.

Because all the Atmos upmixing is happening within the Lucid system, even if they made updates there, it wouldn't brick the aftermarket system because that's happening all upstream of the aftermarket audio.

FYI: The Base Surreal Sound system are now physically missing amplifiers and drivers. So a software unlock is no longer possible. Only some 22' and 23' models had all the hardware but were software locked. This only happened before they started to product the base audio systems.
Makes sense to me ... mostly. :)

Like I said in my previous post, the scenario of using an aftermarket audio system may not be the best example of the potential effect of aftermarket parts on OTA software updates successfully running on a Lucid, but for now it's probably the easiest (at least for me) to consider.

Ultimately, this all may be a non-issue.
We don't know how many aftermarket mods may be possible in the future with Lucid EVs.

I appreciate your response.

I am leasing a 2024 Pure. The window sticker said I have the $2,900 Surreal Sound Pro system, but my onboarding email says it's a trial. My sales person said, "they just deactivate it". It hasn't been 30 days yet, but at the end of next week it will be. I still am unclear what I will have after that. There was some mix up when I ordered, and I wanted just the base model, so I think this stereo wasn't factored in my lease payments. Sales person said it will have 14 speakers after deactivation, the website says base system has 9 speakers, and Pro us 21 speakers. I am enjoying the heck out of the Tidal Atmos Mix tracks, though, ATM. It sure would be nice if they had a subscription model that you can pay with referral points to keep the premium system.

I am leasing a 2024 Pure. The window sticker said I have the $2,900 Surreal Sound Pro system, but my onboarding email says it's a trial. My sales person said, "they just deactivate it". It hasn't been 30 days yet, but at the end of next week it will be. I still am unclear what I will have after that. There was some mix up when I ordered, and I wanted just the base model, so I think this stereo wasn't factored in my lease payments. Sales person said it will have 14 speakers after deactivation, the website says base system has 9 speakers, and Pro us 21 speakers. I am enjoying the heck out of the Tidal Atmos Mix tracks, though, ATM. It sure would be nice if they had a subscription model that you can pay with referral points to keep the premium system.
Bank error in your favor? Guess you'll find out soon!

Back