October OTA Updates

Count me on team "no high beam". If your sight is such that you need high beams to be on all the time unless there are other cars coming at you, you probably shouldn't be driving.

High beams are meant to be an enhancement for extremely dark situations.
Another real world observation. I had a Mercedes EQS for about 5,000 miles. That car uses LED projectors. At first, I thought that the "high beams" were not working. Then I read the manual and realized that the projectors on that car don't become bright or dim in the way you might expect. Instead, they would dim the areas that otherwise would illuminate inbound traffic and make the dark areas in front of the car brighter. There was no real "on" or "off" In real life you would only see the effect if you were watching for it. Very seamless and invisible to other drivers. Of course, those lights also bend around corners and are capable of projecting warning signs on the road ahead of the car.

This is not rocket science. I have a couple of motorcycles that do something similar. It is amazingly helpful.

Of course, those lights also bend around corners and are capable of projecting warning signs on the road ahead of the car.

The Lucid does not "bend" around corners, but it does increase side illumination into a curve or turn. It does so by switching on an array in the outboard side of the headlight unit in response to camera and steering inputs.

I just posted an edit. My problem started with the 2.0.5 update. (I didn't drive the 2.0.8 update until after the 2.0.12 update was downloaded.)

I went to the main screen to run the slider up to full bright, but it did nothing to bri
2.0.12 fixed my surround view issue.
My surround view was almost instantaneous after 2.08 (or whatever that number was) but slowed down considerably after 2.0.12. It takes close to 10 seconds after backup camera works. A huge improvement from prior to 2.0 but worse in latest update.

Self-driving would be far more usable today if people could be relied upon to use it responsibly. However, having to put limits on the systems to account for idiots behind the wheel is going to delay deployment of true self-driving by years, if not decades.
Indeed. I don't think Tesla helped the situation by calling the system "Full Self Driving" "Autopilot" etc. It made people too comfortable in thinking the car would do everything for them. Now we're in the situation we are today, more cameras, more controls for attention recognition etc. because as per usual, people abused it now everyone must suffer the consequences.

My previous car was the e-Tron, it had LiDAR and all the sensors needed to do Level 3. After 6 months of release Audi pulled the LiDAR from future cars and shortly after made an announcement that they had all but given up on Level 3 \ Autonomous driving. The reason? they couldn't get governments to align and each country or state had a different set of laws or lack thereof that Audi just couldn't navigate through so they gave up.

So not only do we have the irresponsible humans issue but government issues where no one can agree and put a standard set of laws in place.

I think part of my low enthusiasm for the current generation of assisted driving in both Lucids and Teslas has to do with my earlier experience of Tesla self-driving. In 2015 I paid $3,000 for "Enhanced Autopilot" in our new Model S. It used primitive hardware (a single front camera and a few radar sensors). But it was truly self-driving in some circumstances. You could set the car for any speed without reference to posted speed limits; it would work on any road or street with center- and side-line markings; you did not have to keep your hand on the wheel; the adaptive cruise control braked predictably and reliably. A couple of times I drove all the way across Alligator Alley (I-75 through the Everglades) without touching the brakes or the steering wheel.

But the system design did not take account of the fact that some percentage of the driving public are total morons. Videos started popping up on the internet of drivers climbing into the backseat with Enhanced Autopilot engaged. One driver got decapitated when a semi-truck the camera didn't detect turned in front of him while he was watching a movie on his iPad. (It turned out he was a software engineer, ironically enough, and should have understood the limits of the system.) And so on . . . .

Soon functionality began to disappear from our Enhanced Autopilot. Speed was limited to 5 mph above the posted limit. The feature was restricted to major highways. You had to keep your hand on the wheel. More cameras were added, but phantom braking reared its head for the first time (and remains an issue with Teslas today).

Self-driving would be far more usable today if people could be relied upon to use it responsibly. However, having to put limits on the systems to account for idiots behind the wheel is going to delay deployment of true self-driving by years, if not decades.
If self driving is dependent upon people not driving like morons, I fear that you are correct that it will take years.

I convinced my 80 year old parents to get a GT instead of a pure because I thought it would potentially keep them on the road longer. I still believe that Lucid has all of the hardware to make them a leader in the space. My Pop is one of the first 100 beta testers, but so far his feedback is that it is a stressful way to drive. His Mustang Mach E is way better at this stage and he finds it to be usable.

At some point the quest for safety can actually have diminishing returns, when the overly restrictive software makes it less safe to use. I think that Lucid is presently walking this fine line, but understand why they chose this path. Hopefully they quickly start to loosen the reigns as the data comes in. Since we are in beta, I am very happy to be a part of the journey and provide feedback.

I’m also hoping that one of the first adjustments is to have the car take more aggressive lines, rather than waiting until is is drifting more to the left before cutting the wheel. I think that most people prefer to hug the shoulder rather than a neighboring lane on the driver side.

You do have to calibrate it before it will work. It instructs you to drive for 30 minutes on a fairly straight highway.

Some people think it may have to be an interstate highway rather than a small one and you may need to be using ACC during it.

Mine calibrated after less than 5 minutes using ACC on an interstate highway. After it calibrates you get a pop-up window saying Highway Assist is now available.

I think its learning and adaptability are quite variable, but seems to be progressive. My Highway Assist activated within about 5 miles of driving after the update, 2 on surfaces streets, then around 3 miles after getting onto an 8 lane highway. I was on ACC, then Highway Assist just appeared. It was, however, terrible to start with. Fairly empty road, I was in the second from the right lane, and it kept trying to aggressively steer left. After a couple of miles of fighting it, I decided to let it go where it wanted, and it rapidly steered across three lanes into the left most lane heading for the wall. Enough of that experiment, pulled it back into a center lane, and argued with it for the next 15 miles, when it finally seemed to stop trying to steer left, but I was at my exit, so clicked the HA off and exited. I haven't had an opportunity to try HA today as of yet.

Super odd. Have you tried toggling the satellite view on and off? If that doesn’t help, definitely email OTAUpdate

Please go into your profile settings in the car and ensure Key Detection is on and that the mobile device is listed and paired. For me and many others, key detection was off post-update. After I turned it on it worked flawlessly.

Thank you for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to be it. I checked that after seeing one of your posts yesterday, and Key Detection is on and the mobile device is paired. I subsequently unpaired and deleted my phone, then paired it again and linked the Mobile Key again to see if that would fix it, but still only intermittently working. It still keeps asking for my PIN around every 2 to 3 times I get in. It does bring up the PIN entry screen much faster now, though. Before, the PIN entry warning on the upper screen would pop up and it would take about 20-25 seconds for the PIN entry screen to appear on the Pilot Panel. I timed it because you can't do anything, change audio, look at Nav, etc., until you put in the PIN. Now it's pretty much immediate.

I think I'll just do what @CLTGT did, and abandon the mobile key and just go with the fob.

I convinced my 80 year old parents to get a GT instead of a pure because I thought it would potentially keep them on the road longer.

I just turned 71. Back in 2015 one of the reasons I bought a Tesla was that I wanted to get used to ADAS systems as they evolved toward the time I might eventually need them to stay independent when using a car.

What I've instead watched is a slowdown in development of these systems for various reasons. One is the need for more and more safety fences as the realization emerged that idiots would attempt to use the systems beyond their capabilities. Another is the complex and crazy-quilt regulatory environment confronting automakers who want to develop cars for multiple regional markets. And the third, at least when it comes to the perceived ADAS leader (Tesla), is the attempt to control manufacturing cost and complexity by actually removing sensors from cars while trying to push the ADAS envelope.

Fortunately, I seem still to have some good years of independent driving ahead of me. But my hope that true self-driving will step in as my abilities fade out is fast collapsing.

One of the things I appreciate about Peter Rawlinson is his candor on this subject. In a period when Elon Musk has made one failed promise and misrepresentation after another about what FSD can or will eventually do, Rawlinson has insisted that even the most optimistic timeline for getting there is at least a decade out.

I’ve had zero issues with highway assist and it has definitely never strafed across lanes; if it does, I would definitely call service to check it out.

Whoo Hoo! I woke up this morning and went into the garage to apply ceramic coating to my Lucid's front and back glass. That's when I discovered that Len and his mighty team had fixed my phone's Lucid App's ability to open and close the charging port andthey restored the satellite view of the navigation app. When I was done applying the glass coating and after it dried I then when out for a test drive to see if the Highway Assist one hand steering was fixed. It was! I could steer with one hand on the left and right sides, down on the bottom and on the top of the wheel. Man o' man, am I a happy camper! Thanks Len and many, many thanks to your remarkable team! Whoo Hoo!

“I convinced my 80 year old parents to get a GT instead of a pure because I thought it would potentially keep them on the road longer. I still believe that Lucid has all of the hardware to make them a leader in the space. My Pop is one of the first 100 beta testers, but so far his feedback is that it is a stressful way to drive. His Mustang Mach E is way better at this stage and he finds it to be usable.”

Does this mean that a slot has opened up?

“I convinced my 80 year old parents to get a GT instead of a pure because I thought it would potentially keep them on the road longer. I still believe that Lucid has all of the hardware to make them a leader in the space. My Pop is one of the first 100 beta testers, but so far his feedback is that it is a stressful way to drive. His Mustang Mach E is way better at this stage and he finds it to be usable.”

Does this mean that a slot has opened up?
What does he find stressful about it?

Tested Highway Assist for the first time yesterday night and again today morning in heavy traffic on the way to work. Summary --> fantastic, really really smooth.

1. I was waiting for the "HA ready" message to show up. Turns out that only shows up if you are in ACC? I never saw that message and decided to just go ahead and hit the Dreamdrive button.
2. Today morning, during my commute to work, I got to experience HA in various scenarios including speeds down to 7mph, assholes cutting across in front, lane change with HA smoothly taking over. I'm impressed.

A question to people more experienced with HA --> after you hit the "Dreamdrive" button, how do you engage it? Right now I hit the toggle button but that sets the speed to whatever my current speed is (not what is used to be before). Is that what you guys do too?

Reactions: NPN
A question to people more experienced with HA --> after you hit the "Dreamdrive" button, how do you engage it?

You hit the "DreamDrive" button on the bottom left of the steering wheel a second time and hold it until the orange steering wheel icon pops up on the driver's binnacle.

You hit the "DreamDrive" button on the bottom left of the steering wheel a second time and hold it until the orange steering wheel icon pops up on the driver's binnacle.
Isn't that to switch from ACC to Highway Assist (or back)?

Isn't that to switch from ACC to Highway Assist (or back)?
Yes, but if you’re toggling the rotary button and seeing speed set changes as mentioned in your original question, you are already in ACC mode and trying to find how to get to HA.

I'll play with hand position but I'm only interested in the bottom third since I have to position the wheel much higher than my previous car to see the cockpit screen. I'll also try adding a small amount of wiggle since there is some play in the wheel before it hits the hard resistance point. If those don't work, play with varying grip pressure. Thanks for the suggestions.
@hmp10's method of hooking fingers over the bottom of the wheel was the most successful at avoiding getting an alert with HA. The key was having essentially an overhand vs underhand grip on the wheel. It doesn't seem to sense that I am gripping the wheel when holding the outside surface of the bottom of the wheel. Some parts of the wheel are like dead zones. When I do get an alert, using @Adnillien's wiggle gets the car to recognize that you have some control of the wheel - just a tiny movement of the wheel is sufficient.

But as @hmp10/ @HC_79 stated a light touch on the sweet spots is all it takes.

As I live with 2.0.12 I have to say things are really looking up. After months of software glitches and growing cynicism about Lucid software, this car is now the complete package . . . and I'm luvin' it.

With each drive I notice another thing or two that hasn't yet been mentioned on the forum. The satellite maps now retain the compass orientation to which you last set them, so you no longer have to reorient the upper and lower images (which can be done independently) each time you open the Nav system. (I'm still hoping the darkened images can be brought back to their original brightness in those cars that have experienced this.)

When I get in the car to back out of the garage, the Homelink buttons now come up automatically. However, when I put the car into reverse and the backup camera comes on, it erases the Homelink buttons, and they do not come back up once I'm out of the garage and kill the cameras. So I still have to hit the Homelink button before I can access the door closing buttons when leaving home. (In our Tesla, the Homelink buttons remain accessible even with the backup camera on screen. Lucid needs to follow suit here.)

But nits mostly. This UX 2.0 is da bomb.

Back