October OTA Updates

Your seat belt can't blind another driver headed in the other direction.

If you drive with high beams on all the time, you are endangering others. Period. No automated system is going to flick the beams off perfectly every time before the beams hit another driver.

As I said, I think Lucid is absolutely making the right call here.
I’m just happy that we have graduated to complaining about the minor inconvenience of flicking the stalk to activate high beam assist instead of blacked out screens, dropped audio and slow camera response. Thank you @Firstto520 and the Lucid software team. My drives today left me with a smile on my face.

There seems to be something dodgy with the system in your car. I used Highway Assist this morning with nothing more than a couple of fingers hooked over the bottom of the steering wheel.

What I find ironic is that on the highway I can manually steer the car enough to stay in my lane or take gentle curves just with my arm resting on the armrest and a single finger pressed against the side of the wheel. But with Highway Assist engaged that is not enough pressure on the wheel to keep the system from warning. So I actually have to pay more attention to the steering wheel and where I place my hands than when driving the car manually on a highway (which is the only place you can use the assist function, anyway).

At least Lucid is honest in billing this as a Level 2 system, unlike Tesla which labels its Level 2 system with such misleading names as "full self driving".

While I recognize that we must first evolve our way into Level 2 systems, ADAS won't really interest me as an aging driver who one day may need assistance with operating a car until they get well into Level 3 function and start nearing Level 4.

I'm still a driving enthusiast and so grateful that, as age and arthritis have consigned true sports cars to my past, Lucid has engineered such as amazing balance of driving pleasure and creature comfort into a single car.
I agree with this. After the novelty wears off, I will not use it until it behaves like or better than Tesla. It requires too much pressure to be enjoyable and the distracted driver alert activates way too early. I assume that this is part of the evolution and would love to hear more messaging from Lucid on short term and long term timelines for Lane keep assist and L2 driving. Having said that, it is a great accomplishment to get this far. Next step is making it usable.

Reactions: NPN
2.0.12 bug: not a big deal, but I put the system in screen cleaning mode to wipe the fingerprints, and when I got to the left side of the dash, my wipers started going and my hood opened :)
How do I find screen cleaning mode?

I agree with this. After the novelty wears off, I will not use it until it behaves like or better than Tesla. It requires too much pressure to be enjoyable and the distracted driver alert activates way too early. I assume that this is part of the evolution and would love to hear more messaging from Lucid on short term and long term timelines for Lane keep assist and L2 driving. Having said that, it is a great accomplishment to get this far. Next step is making it usable.
This is like perpendicular parking, I can do it myself instead of auto-park. Why bother? That 360 eagle view makes parking so easy. At this point, Highway Assist and Auto-Park is just advanced parlor tricks for me. 😝

This is like perpendicular parking, I can do it myself instead of auto-park. Why bother? That 360 eagle view makes parking so easy. At this point, Highway Assist and Auto-Park is just advanced parlor tricks for me. 😝
I played golf today in a charity even and found myself a little jealous when one of my playing partners bragged about his Teslas’s fart mode and ability to drive hands free without crashing, mist of the time. 😂

I played golf today in a charity even and found myself a little jealous when one of my playing partners bragged about his Teslas’s fart mode and ability to drive hands free without crashing, mist of the time. 😂
Yeah, farts and not crashing “most of the time” make me real jealous too 🙄 😂

Boy, it is really hard to keep up with all of these posts. Whew.
I just returned from testing out my Lucid with the 2.12 update. As you all know by now, it is totally awesome! The only glitch I had was trying to open the charge port using my App. It had worked prior to the updates but did not when I just went to an EA charging station for the first time. I could open it manually and using the center pilot screen but not with the App. I have reported it to Len and team using the email address he gave us.
I am sure that you are already aware that you can open the charge port by just pushing on it near the bottom.

Reactions: DJL
There seems to be something dodgy with the system in your car. I used Highway Assist this morning with nothing more than a couple of fingers hooked over the bottom of the steering wheel.

What I find ironic is that on the highway I can manually steer the car enough to stay in my lane or take gentle curves just with my arm resting on the armrest and a single finger pressed against the side of the wheel. But with Highway Assist engaged that is not enough pressure on the wheel to keep the system from warning. So I actually have to pay more attention to the steering wheel and where I place my hands than when driving the car manually on a highway (which is the only place you can use the assist function, anyway).

At least Lucid is honest in billing this as a Level 2 system, unlike Tesla which labels its Level 2 system with such misleading names as "full self driving".

While I recognize that we must first evolve our way into Level 2 systems, ADAS won't really interest me as an aging driver who one day may need assistance with operating a car until they get well into Level 3 function and start nearing Level 4.

I'm still a driving enthusiast and so grateful that, as age and arthritis have consigned true sports cars to my past, Lucid has engineered such as amazing balance of driving pleasure and creature comfort into a single car.
Yeah I value highway assist if I’m risking a distraction such as getting my coffee or adjusting a setting in the pilot panel or just sleep deprived from work and could use some help on the way home. Otherwise I just drive the damn car, it’s just more fun that way.

I took a road trip in my Tesla MY and paid for a one-month subscription of FSD. After two weeks on the road and 1200+ miles, I was so relieved I had not paid the $10K when I bought the car in 2021. The one feature I DID like on the car (even without the FSD) was the highway lane-centering when the cruise control was on, but the phantom braking at highway speeds meant I no longer felt comfortable using that. I soon put a reservation in on the Lucid AGT and then sold the Tesla about three months after the road trip.

Once the update(s) were done and I tried out the Highway Assist, it was great to have the lane centering feature back. I really like the seamless process of changing lanes (although manually) - no fighting with the steering wheel, and the HA remained engaged and took over once I moved into the new lane. It did not struggle and shut off like the Tesla prior to FSD then need to be reengaged. I have had ZERO phantom braking events in the 2600+ miles I have put on the car so far. For highway driving, I like not needing the extreme constant micro-movements myself to keep the car centered and find longer trips much more relaxing now. I'm looking forward to my first real road trip (except for finding an operational charger - that is the one thing about Tesla I will miss).

P.S. Even after numerous updates, I can still easily access the vast majority of all my most-used functions in the same place. Whew!

It only pops up the message about Highway Assist being ready if you had ACC on. You can test it by hitting the ACC button and seeing if it comes up. If it doesn't, drive for a while with ACC on (on straight highways) and it should calibrate HA.
I have driven about 75 miles since updating to 2.0.12 and haven't been able to activate Highway Assist. Only see ACC. Tried holding down the ACC button while on the highway but no option for highway assist. Anything I am doing wrong?

I have driven about 75 miles since updating to 2.0.12 and haven't been able to activate Highway Assist. Only see ACC. Tried holding down the ACC button while on the highway but no option for highway assist. Anything I am doing wrong?
Funny, mine offered highway assist after about 6 miles.

After the novelty wears off, I will not use it until it behaves like or better than Tesla.

I think part of my low enthusiasm for the current generation of assisted driving in both Lucids and Teslas has to do with my earlier experience of Tesla self-driving. In 2015 I paid $3,000 for "Enhanced Autopilot" in our new Model S. It used primitive hardware (a single front camera and a few radar sensors). But it was truly self-driving in some circumstances. You could set the car for any speed without reference to posted speed limits; it would work on any road or street with center- and side-line markings; you did not have to keep your hand on the wheel; the adaptive cruise control braked predictably and reliably. A couple of times I drove all the way across Alligator Alley (I-75 through the Everglades) without touching the brakes or the steering wheel.

But the system design did not take account of the fact that some percentage of the driving public are total morons. Videos started popping up on the internet of drivers climbing into the backseat with Enhanced Autopilot engaged. One driver got decapitated when a semi-truck the camera didn't detect turned in front of him while he was watching a movie on his iPad. (It turned out he was a software engineer, ironically enough, and should have understood the limits of the system.) And so on . . . .

Soon functionality began to disappear from our Enhanced Autopilot. Speed was limited to 5 mph above the posted limit. The feature was restricted to major highways. You had to keep your hand on the wheel. More cameras were added, but phantom braking reared its head for the first time (and remains an issue with Teslas today).

Self-driving would be far more usable today if people could be relied upon to use it responsibly. However, having to put limits on the systems to account for idiots behind the wheel is going to delay deployment of true self-driving by years, if not decades.

Last edited:
You do have to calibrate it before it will work. It instructs you to drive for 30 minutes on a fairly straight highway.

Some people think it may have to be an interstate highway rather than a small one and you may need to be using ACC during it.

Mine calibrated after less than 5 minutes using ACC on an interstate highway. After it calibrates you get a pop-up window saying Highway Assist is now available.

I think the disconnect here is between what both camps think of as the reason for this feature.

High Beam Assist, as I think Lucid and I see it, is a function that, when you engage the high beams (pushing the stalk, because you are on a dark country road, or whatever), the car automatically turns them off as needed when having them on could prove a danger to other drivers. So you turn your high beams on when you need them, and the car turns them off automatically briefly whenever a car is coming or is close in front of you.

Hitting the stalk isn't enagaing High Beam Assist, in other words. It's engaging the high beams. This is why Assist is a separate setting in the settings panel.

I think you and others see it more as "I want my high beams on all the time, unless they are a danger to others. So just keep them on at all times unless I am about to blind someone."
I don't think any driving manual anywhere would suggest driving with your highbeams on all the time is an accepted norm. On a highway with overhead lights, or on normal city streets, high beams should not be needed.

If the Lucid system is good enough that it will basically never turn on your high beams in those situations, I could see how just never having to think about lights would be nice. Based on how terrible my Tesla is at turning on and off the high beams, I highly doubt this system would be that good.

It's not exactly like the auto wipers, which absolutely should remember their automatic setting. I'm glad Lucid fixed that. This makes sense, because the wipers are basically not on until there's rain. They aren't running all the time, and then being turned off occasionally.

I absolutely would want to use High Beam Assist as Lucid has currently implemented it. I decide it's too dark on this road, and the car prevents me from harming others as a result of turning on this extra light.

I absolutely would not want what you and others are proposing, which would effectively turn on my high beams every time I got into my car. Unless I wanted to disable the feature altogether. And thus, I'd have to manage turning on and off the high beams manually when I do (occasionally) drive on a dark road.
I'm not one of the "100," but every car that I have owned with high beam assist had a (mostly speed based) algorithm that kept the high beams off in residential neighborhoods. I doubt that Lucid would be taking a step backwards. Personally, I found that not having to remember to turn the high beams on or off is a wonderful safety and driver's assist feature.

You do have to calibrate it before it will work. It instructs you to drive for 30 minutes on a fairly straight highway.

Some people think it may have to be an interstate highway rather than a small one and you may need to be using ACC during it.

Mine calibrated after less than 5 minutes using ACC on an interstate highway. After it calibrates you get a pop-up window saying Highway Assist is now available.
OK. I'll try that. I've been driving on the Garden State Pkwy and it is not particularly straight. Thanks

Back