October OTA Updates

I guess the point being is that prior to the update, if you wanted to use your high beams, yes, you would push the stalk forward, active engagement. With high-beam assist, one should not have to push the stalk forward as they are now a passive system, a background feature if you will, and will only come on if all criteria are met via the cars logic. Having to move the stalk to engage high-beam assist each time you get into the car is not much different than pushing the stalk forward to engage the high-beams to begin with. I agree that having the ability to toggle them on/off via the stalk is important, but for me it should remember the last state the system was put in. Not a show stopper by any means, thrilled to eventually get it when I get pushed the update, but I have to believe it is on their radar for a future release.
Not sure the issue since I don’t have 2.x yet, but what is being described is very similar to how my Audi S8 high beam worked.

A few observations about the latest updates:
-Highway assist is very impressive. It took a little getting used to as I felt it was too close to the left line, but that's not the case confirmed by seeing in my rear-view mirrors that the car was perfectly centered in the lane.
-My last experience with something similar was Mercedes active steering assist as part of their MBUX ADAS system and Lucid's is better, far less ping-ponging between lane lines than MB. However, Mercedes takes corners at highway speeds a bit smoother than the Lucid, the Lucid corner steering is more in incremental as opposed to smooth, but still works without intervention. The ADAS in the EQS may be more sussed out, not sure, but 2019 Mercedes ADAS is inferior to the Lucid.
-OMG the headlights are incredible. The wide throw at night on rural roads/suburban is a crucial safety feature, you can see far past just the shoulder. It gives a lot of confidence you'd be able to see animals or pedestrians on the sidewalk etc. While the illumination around the corner you're steering towards is subtle it's still there and pretty neat.

Yes, but you can't do it by keeping your left elbow on the armrest and resting your index finger on the side of the wheel. It does require a bit more pressure than that.

I've always preferred to drive a car myself and have a history of using cruise control so infrequently that I have forgotten how to turn it on in some of my cars. I'm glad Highway Assist is now available for those who want it but, already being on the fence with such assistance, having to keep my hand on the wheel utterly removes my interest in using it. (No slight to Lucid technology here; I have almost never used Tesla driver assistance features in the seven years I've driven Teslas. I don't even know how to turn it on in our Plaid.)

Maybe when eye recognition becomes sufficient to keep the feature engaged . . . .
When I use Highway Assist, I always have to have both hands on the steering wheel to prevent the warning. A hand on the wheel, no matter where or how hard I grip it, still results in the warning. I also like resting my elbow on the side of the door and using one hand to steer, especially on long drives. I can not do this while using Highway Assist. I also like to use one hand placed on the bottom of the wheel. Again, if I do this, I get the warning. Hopefully, as Lucid gets more advanced, this will change. Meanwhile, as much as I love how Highway Assist steers the car and watches/reacts to traffic, I will not be using it much. I am very sad to say this.

Yes, but you can't do it by keeping your left elbow on the armrest and resting your index finger on the side of the wheel. It does require a bit more pressure than that.

I've always preferred to drive a car myself and have a history of using cruise control so infrequently that I have forgotten how to turn it on in some of my cars. I'm glad Highway Assist is now available for those who want it but, already being on the fence with such assistance, having to keep my hand on the wheel utterly removes my interest in using it. (No slight to Lucid technology here; I have almost never used Tesla driver assistance features in the seven years I've driven Teslas. I don't even know how to turn it on in our Plaid.)

Maybe when eye recognition becomes sufficient to keep the feature engaged . . . .
Yeah, agreed. Highway Pilot (part of DD Pro) is going to be the handsfree option whenever it arrives.

Are you holding near the bottom of the wheel? I put a strong grip on it after getting the hands on wheel warning and it just progressed to red alert status. I had to move my hands to where the picture shows. I'll have to play with grip pressure but it isn't much use if I can't just have a relaxed grip on where I am comfortable holding the wheel. I held it firmly in my normal position and still got an alert. Could the bottom part of the wheel behave differently than the rest? Next chance you get, can you test with your hands below the spokes of the wheel?
I do hold it on the bottom and give it a bit of a squeeze. Maybe practice and experiment? Also possible I move my hands around the wheel sometimes without noticing, I guess.

But I do hold my hands below the spokes, generally.

When I use Highway Assist, I always have to have both hands on the steering wheel to prevent the warning. A hand on the wheel, no matter where or how hard I grip it, still results in the warning. I also like resting my elbow on the side of the door and using one hand to steer, especially on long drives. I can not do this while using Highway Assist. I also like to use one hand placed on the bottom of the wheel. Again, if I do this, I get the warning. Hopefully, as Lucid gets more advanced, this will change. Meanwhile, as much as I love how Highway Assist steers the car and watches/reacts to traffic, I will not be using it much. I am very sad to say this.

What you have to do when steering the car yourself:

- Keep a hand on the steering wheel
- Keep your eyes on the road ahead
- Stay alert
- Be ready to take corrective action if a problematic situation develops

Which of the above tasks you can dispense with when using Level 2 auto steering:

-
-
-
-

I just don't get how much focus many EV buyers put on ADAS relative to other aspects of the car. For instance, the amount of shoddy build quality, rough rides, quirky user ergonomics, de-contented interiors, poor customer service, and shady marketing practices that Tesla fanboys will put up with in order to embrace the always-missed promises of FSD just amazes me.

Every car is different when it comes to this. Mess around with different positions on the wheel to find out where the sweet spot is. On the Tesla I know where I can keep just my thumb to shut it up and yesterday on the Lucid I kept my hand wrapped around the wheel in the bottom left corner and seemed to manage fine with one hand. It's certainly not capacitive on the Lucid but it doesn't seem to require as much force as what a Tesla does.
I'll play with hand position but I'm only interested in the bottom third since I have to position the wheel much higher than my previous car to see the cockpit screen. I'll also try adding a small amount of wiggle since there is some play in the wheel before it hits the hard resistance point. If those don't work, play with varying grip pressure. Thanks for the suggestions.

What you have to do when steering the car yourself:

- Keep a hand on the steering wheel
- Keep your eyes on the road ahead
- Stay alert
- Be ready to take corrective action if a problematic situation develops

Which of the above tasks you can dispense with when using Level 2 auto steering:

-
-
-
-

I just don't get how much focus many EV buyers put on ADAS relative to other aspects of the car. For instance, the amount of shoddy build quality, rough rides, quirky user ergonomics, de-contented interiors, poor customer service, and shady marketing practices that Tesla fanboys will put up with in order to embrace the always-missed promises of FSD just amazes me.
This car was simply amazing. Now, with the 2.12 update, it is well beyond that in all aspects: build quality, luxury, drive qualities, range, charging speed, even navigation and voice commands. However, I would like a Highway Assist where I can do my driving style preferences on keeping control of the wheel without the need to grip it with both hands to avoid the warning.

Yeah, agreed. Highway Pilot (part of DD Pro) is going to be the handsfree option whenever it arrives.
So the HHP will do lane change on its own with changing of signal light? Will it exit freeway?

I was driving around for a bit today on highway and major streets and never got any message saying "Highway Assist Ready" or along those lines. Did I have to have DreamDrive activated or at least doing adaptive cruise control? What am I doing wrong?

After driving just about 5 miles, the left panel of the main screen announced that Highway Assist is now ready to activate. I did and it worked great, except for the need to keep both hands on the wheel to prevent the warning sign from poppingup. Thus, I am not sure you are doing anything wrong.

I was driving around for a bit today on highway and major streets and never got any message saying "Highway Assist Ready" or along those lines. Did I have to have DreamDrive activated or at least doing adaptive cruise control? What am I doing wrong?
This morning when I tried it, I never received the notice that it was ready. I clicked the dream drive button and started it, worked right away and I was on a highway for not even a mile 🤷‍♂️

I drove for a bit and then decided to activate adaptive cruise control .. shortly thereafter, I received the message ... pushed and held the button and it put me in Highway assist mode.

So the HHP will do lane change on its own with changing of signal light? Will it exit freeway?
Nobody knows yet, but that is the expectation, yes.

It only pops up the message about Highway Assist being ready if you had ACC on. You can test it by hitting the ACC button and seeing if it comes up. If it doesn't, drive for a while with ACC on (on straight highways) and it should calibrate HA.

It only pops up the message about Highway Assist being ready if you had ACC on. You can test it by hitting the ACC button and seeing if it comes up. If it doesn't, drive for a while with ACC on (on straight highways) and it should calibrate HA.

I believe you also have to be on a highway that is recognized by the system as suitable for its use. I drove extensively on wide, straight, flat, well-marked rural highways this morning -- some of them 6 lanes -- but did not get the "available" signal until I got on Interstate 75.

This car was simply amazing. Now, with the 2.12 update, it is well beyond that in all aspects: build quality, luxury, drive qualities, range, charging speed, even navigation and voice commands. However, I would like a Highway Assist where I can do my driving style preferences on keeping control of the wheel without the need to grip it with both hands to avoid the warning.

There seems to be something dodgy with the system in your car. I used Highway Assist this morning with nothing more than a couple of fingers hooked over the bottom of the steering wheel.

What I find ironic is that on the highway I can manually steer the car enough to stay in my lane or take gentle curves just with my arm resting on the armrest and a single finger pressed against the side of the wheel. But with Highway Assist engaged that is not enough pressure on the wheel to keep the system from warning. So I actually have to pay more attention to the steering wheel and where I place my hands than when driving the car manually on a highway (which is the only place you can use the assist function, anyway).

At least Lucid is honest in billing this as a Level 2 system, unlike Tesla which labels its Level 2 system with such misleading names as "full self driving".

While I recognize that we must first evolve our way into Level 2 systems, ADAS won't really interest me as an aging driver who one day may need assistance with operating a car until they get well into Level 3 function and start nearing Level 4.

I'm still a driving enthusiast and so grateful that, as age and arthritis have consigned true sports cars to my past, Lucid has engineered such as amazing balance of driving pleasure and creature comfort into a single car.

Nobody knows yet, but that is the expectation, yes.
So…

Cruise Control + Assisted 1-pedal-throttle = ACC

ACC + Lane Centering = Highway Assist

Highway Assist + Navigation = Highway Pilot

And what’s beyond Highway Pilot? 🤔

Back