New Variant coming....

It's definitely not just the Stealth debut, as they specifically mention that in the article. Four bullets after the below is where they mention the new variant.

"Motorlux (Wednesday, August 17) – Lucid will have a stand at this updated event at the Monterey Jet Center for the public debut of its recently announced Stealth Look for Lucid Air. Attendees will have the opportunity to see this darker and more assertive exterior design theme for the very first time during this exclusive event."

Quad Motor.

That’s right, four motors; one for each wheel.

Why? Because they can, and they have to.

Lucid power plant is small enough to fit four. And they’ll need a four motor setup for the gravity SUV to be competitive.

Calling it now. Four motor: two thousand horsepower.

Place your bets.
Maybe they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Rimac. 1900 HP. 4 motor, 0-60 in 1.8 sec, barf bags included. Also $2.5 million, 2 year wait time. Ouch!! Way beyond the reach of most Forum members. Talk about a barfmobile!

Maybe they are trying to follow in the footsteps of Rimac. 1900 HP. 4 motor, 0-60 in 1.8 sec, barf bags included. Also $2.5 million, 2 year wait time. Ouch!! Way beyond the reach of most Forum members. Talk about a barfmobile!

They could be the C8 Corvette of the quad motor world. All the performance at a fraction of the price.

To whom are the bragging rights important? If Lucid could claim the bragging rights to the fastest sedan time around Nurburgring to best the Taycan's recent run, that would be important to me.
I expect the tri-motor to best the Plaid not just in acceleration but on the track as well. It would be interesting if they announced a Nuremberg number at this event.

If anything, I'd just love to shut up all the Tesla fanboys once and for all. But more importantly, that line at the end of every review that says the Air is the fastest production EV sedan in the world is worth its weight in gold, even if they sell relatively few of this variant. Just look at how much mileage they get out of reviewers saying "520 miles of range" even though no currently selling Air can get that much anymore, and vast majority of Airs (the Pure) will only get 406.

I'm positive it'll push Elon to try and make an even faster Model S, which will distract them further from their efforts to get the Cybertruck into production.

I expect the tri-motor to best the Plaid not just in acceleration but on the track as well. It would be interesting if they announced a Nuremberg number at this event.

If anything, I'd just love to shut up all the Tesla fanboys once and for all. But more importantly, that line at the end of every review that says the Air is the fastest production EV sedan in the world is worth its weight in gold, even if they sell relatively few of this variant. Just look at how much mileage they get out of reviewers saying "520 miles of range" even though no currently selling Air can get that much anymore, and vast majority of Airs (the Pure) will only get 406.

I'm positive it'll push Elon to try and make an even faster Model S, which will distract them further from their efforts to get the Cybertruck into production.
Or Elon gets diverted to push faster of Roadster release.

As exciting it is to see new variants etc. It's all smoke and mirrors at this point. Lucid has alot of annoyed customers waiting on GT orders and others anxiously awaiting Touring's and Pure's. The main focus should be to actually fix the production issues because without doing that no variants or new models will ever see the light of day because they can't master mass production.

Yes, it's only some digital images, or in this case a Lucid thrown onto a stage that you probably can't touch but new specs are announced etc. but to me, it just sends a wrong message on what the priorities are. I can see it now, whatever gets announced and everyone will just say "they can't even get existing cars delivered blah, blah, blah". Maybe i'm just being too harsh on them but the decisions management seem to be making at the moment seem out of whack. Ignore our current issues and just keep announcing new and shiny things. Like, where the hell is the bi-directional charger? Where is the bi-directional update to charge other cars etc. or the cable being sold to do it".

The only thing Lucid delivered from the Air announcement is the range. Everything else is still yet to come but yet, we now see the GT-P and possibly something else being added to the lineup.

Nah, it will be an electric jetpack, just pay close attention to your charge level...

As exciting it is to see new variants etc. It's all smoke and mirrors at this point. Lucid has alot of annoyed customers waiting on GT orders and others anxiously awaiting Touring's and Pure's. The main focus should be to actually fix the production issues because without doing that no variants or new models will ever see the light of day because they can't master mass production.

Yes, it's only some digital images, or in this case a Lucid thrown onto a stage that you probably can't touch but new specs are announced etc. but to me, it just sends a wrong message on what the priorities are. I can see it now, whatever gets announced and everyone will just say "they can't even get existing cars delivered blah, blah, blah". Maybe i'm just being too harsh on them but the decisions management seem to be making at the moment seem out of whack. Ignore our current issues and just keep announcing new and shiny things. Like, where the hell is the bi-directional charger? Where is the bi-directional update to charge other cars etc. or the cable being sold to do it".

The only thing Lucid delivered from the Air announcement is the range. Everything else is still yet to come but yet, we now see the GT-P and possibly something else being added to the lineup.
I'd argue one of the big things they need to stay alive in the coming quarters is to keep the reservation numbers going. They can't go out begging for cash (which they will need by mid 2023) unless the future orders look bright. And we know reservations have slowed tremendously since the price hike.

Announcements like this are great for marketing the brand itself, which in turn leads to more reservations. Not of this new variant, per se. I think they will sell relatively few of them. But of the Air in general.

"Wow. the fastest production EV sedan on earth. I think I'll check that out."

People who have never heard of Lucid will catch wind of them on things like this. That alone is worth the doing. This car will likely not ship until next year, anyway. So at this point it's mostly a marketing effort. It will have no impact on production in the short term.

When you reach that production goal of 25-30k per year, you want to have more than 37k customers. Lucid needs to walk and chew gum at the same time on this.

Announcing Gravity early next year will be an even bigger boost. But they probably aren't ready to do that yet. Can't really announce until you have proper non-artist-rendering photos of the thing.

Anytime I read something like this I kind of shake my head a little. Product R&D is completely separate from production. Imagine how slow development would be if companies only did R&D if they nailed down their existing product line.

To me, at the end of this video, it looks like it’s motor-centric and breaks into three… maybe 😆

Lucid IG

Anytime I read something like this I kind of shake my head a little. Product R&D is completely separate from production. Imagine how slow development would be if companies only did R&D if they nailed down their existing product line.
I know R&D is completely separate from Production. Lucid will have a number of things in the pipeline 3 to 4+ years out in R&D but when you're having so many issues at getting your production right why do you see the importance now to drop another variant and force it into the production pipeline when they can't seem to get the production pipeline moving. If whatever is being announced is slotted for 2023 release is now the right time to announce it? You could easily announce it on or after the next earnings call when you're actually showing production is improving and use those positive results to drive momentum into people reserving a new product.

If it's a tri-motor version it's going to be priced extremely high and Lucid has publicly said that the Pure's are the most popular so why prioritize announcing this NOW vs getting some positive news about production ramp up to show this company actually knows how to build cars. Lucid can announce 50 cars but if they can't get production issues sorted then what's the point? The focus now should be on delivering, not announcing new toys. If people think this is good to drive up the reservation numbers do you not also think that people will see they can't deliver cars, slashed production output and not think that the 2023 release could actually mean 2024.

If it's being used as a reservation driver then they already have the product for that, the Gravity. We all know the popularity of SUV's so stop beating a dead horse on offering 6 or 7 sedan variants that only a limited number of people want.

I know R&D is completely separate from Production. Lucid will have a number of things in the pipeline 3 to 4+ years out in R&D but when you're having so many issues at getting your production right why do you see the importance now to drop another variant and force it into the production pipeline when they can't seem to get the production pipeline moving. If whatever is being announced is slotted for 2023 release is now the right time to announce it? You could easily announce it on or after the next earnings call when you're actually showing production is improving and use those positive results to drive momentum into people reserving a new product.

If it's a tri-motor version it's going to be priced extremely high and Lucid has publicly said that the Pure's are the most popular so why prioritize announcing this NOW vs getting some positive news about production ramp up to show this company actually knows how to build cars. Lucid can announce 50 cars but if they can't get production issues sorted then what's the point? The focus now should be on delivering, not announcing new toys. If people think this is good to drive up the reservation numbers do you not also think that people will see they can't deliver cars, slashed production output and not think that the 2023 release could actually mean 2024.

If it's being used as a reservation driver then they already have the product for that, the Gravity. We all know the popularity of SUV's so stop beating a dead horse on offering 6 or 7 sedan variants that only a limited number of people want.
Well, they are announcing this at Monterey Motor Week so it's a big marketing ploy to drive up the "Luxury branding" as hopefully the "fastest production sedan/EV".

Plus, they already designed the chassis to take 3 or 4 motors so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for some redesign. And they will be charging, I expect, at least $250k for this thing...

Although, I can't afford it, I want to see the tri-motor being offered so bad🤩

This was in their investor deck a while back

VutPn0g.jpg

Now that’s funny
I wouldn’t be surprised. He is like techno-Trump. “Biggest!” “Quickest!” “Winningest!” “Fastest!” “Bestest!” tweet tweet tweet…..

Via https://www.lucidmotors.com/media-room/lucid-drives-towards-monterey-car-week

"The Quail: A Motorsports Gathering (Friday, August 19) – In addition to a substantial presence at The Quail, Lucid will host a press conference in its display on the central lawn at 10:05 am PDT for a global debut of a new vehicle variant that could only come from Lucid. Following the reveal, key leadership will be on hand to showcase this stunning new addition to the Lucid Air lineup."
An Executive GT with executive back seats?

Back