New member. Taking my chances.

Those who drove much less expensive cars before this car, how/where have you been parking when you go to work/shopping? Do you park far to make sure there are plenty of empty parking spots next to you? Do you worry about it when you have to be away for 8 hours while its parked in a mall/strip mall/work parking lot? Any parking anxiety?
It doesn’t matter where you park your Lucid. Someone will park right next to you to check it out!

@borski car size wise, how's the switch to the Lucid from mazda3? Do you feel like you're eating your whole lane or coming very close to hitting things? Has DDP prevented you from very likely hits?
Frequently drove a Prius. The big difference is how far your seat is from the outside of your door/mirror- be careful at drive through windows and hope there isn’t a really short armed person working the window. Regular driving of the car isn’t the adjustment you think it would be.

Interestingly I am going through the same thing now. Trying to decide between Pure/AT or even AGT. My wife and kids are saying get whatever I want , but I am struggling to convince myself to splurge 60k more for AGT over Pure.
What range do you need? Personally that will be the big factor whether I'll consider AGT (I financially can't and fortunately the Pure/Touring will suffice for round trip to 95% of places I go to). Of course more is better, but think of places you'll be going to.

What range do you need? Personally that will be the big factor whether I'll consider AGT (I financially can't and fortunately the Pure/Touring will suffice for round trip to 95% of places I go to). Of course more is better, but think of places you'll be going to.
Don't have too much of a day today commute. Most road trips beyond 300m are in summer. Generally Pure/Touring range is enough for my needs.

I will be test driving a Lucid tomorrow morning in Millbrae! Mom arrives from her flight later in the afternoon so I'll go back to the studio to show her. I told her the car is $77k but I haven't told her I'm aiming for the Touring which will be $100k+.

Waiting on Lucid's announcements on 11/15 before I finalize my order. Hopefully they give us finalized numbers on mileage plus additional info on cost of extra cameras for non DDP's. I've been able to take advantage of the recent surge in stocks as a result of lower than expected October inflation. Just need a little more gains then I can take full advantage of the $7500 EV credit. I may even consider including DDP if the market continues to do very good next week!

Finally drove a Lucid yesterday!

Pedals and Breaking
Took a while to get used to regenerative breaking. I probably got all my passengers dizzy with my harsh slow downs and stops lol! I prefer the standard regenerative breaking over the high setting since I can control the slowing a bit better.

Uphill
Driving uphill was buttery smooth! It was a curvy road with a lot of turns so I maxed out out 35mph. I didn't feel the car sweat at all. I think it won't be any problem if I wanted to go 70+mph going uphill. Very responsive and it's always a nicer feeling for me driving a car closer to the ground compared to SUV's.

Steering Wheel and Turning
I've read people describe the Lucid as "heavy" when driving it. Comparing to my Mazda3, the steering felt a bit heavier/harder to turn. I wonder if that's what people meant by "heavy"? Can the steering effort be adjusted? I was putting a bit more effort turning the Lucid vs my current car.

Acceleration and Speed
Wow. Super fun but also dangerously fast! I could speed up on command and I am absolutely certain I'm not even pushing the car anywhere to its limit. It's very very very easy to go past my intended speed. The car is very quiet unlike my Mazda3 where I can hear and feel the car going to certain speeds. From 70 to 85mph it would take a several seconds and the engine will rev up which I could both feel and hear. With the Lucid I would press the pedal, blink my eyes, then look at the dashboard and there I am going from 70mph to past 90mph.

Car Size
Strangely, despite being longer and wider than the CX-5 I test drove recently, the Lucid felt like I was driving a smaller car. It didn't feel like I was eating my whole lane.

I've mentioned this several times in my other posts. Heads-up to those ordering cosmic silver to double check a production silver in-person. It looks slightly different compared to the pre-production silver and I was told it should look closer to the platinum trim but it's the opposite! The silver is now more grey silver than shiny white silver. The agent also said it is slightly different.

Pics below. Different lighting on the pics. The silver one inside is dirty so probably not a helpful comparison lol but similar lighting as the NY studio.

Side by side.JPG

Attachments

• 20220625_183701.jpg
    20220625_183701.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 20220625_183633.jpg
    20220625_183633.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • 20220625_183745.jpg
    20220625_183745.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20221112_113758.jpg
    20221112_113758.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 20221112_121432.jpg
    20221112_121432.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 73
  • 20221112_114122.jpg
    20221112_114122.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
a bit more background

I've been closely following EV for a long time now. Just waiting for more 300+mi range EVs and prices to go down to ~$35k but now I realized the opposite will be happening due to supply chain issues and massive increases in prices of raw materials like lithium. Even if I factor out issues due to covid, I think new demand will easily outpace new supply sources for lithium hence the continued price increases. If I keep waiting too long the federal tax credit will disappear too. Oh not to mention the current crazy high inflation rate! Model Y went from 52k usd to 62k in just two years! Honestly if it weren't for these three factors I wouldn't be considering EV now.

So why the Lucid? I considered getting a Model Y about two years ago but I thought I'd rather keep investing the money and donate instead of getting a new car. I don't drive much anyways considering my 9yr old car is only about to hit 50k miles. Plus it also felt a bit excessive and luxurious (funny to say now that I've reserved an Air). I usually have a bit of this guilt that since I am well off compared to a majority of people in the world that I shouldn't spend and live so lavishly. But recently I've come to realize that I'm not getting any younger and why deprive myself especially if I work for it and most importantly I'm doing honest work so no need to feel guilty.

Last month I reconsidered Model Y again but with just a bit more budget stretching plus the tax credit I think the Pure has much better overall value. I did check my ex-housemate's Model Y and the interior quality feels very lacking and questionable. I also considered that if I'm really tight for budget perhaps the Model 3 could work, but then for just a bit more the Model Y makes more sense. In the end, no matter what angle I look at it, I would still prefer the Pure. After $7500 credits and AWD config the Pure is ~$20k more expensive than an equivalent Model 3 and ~$12k vs a Model Y. I'm willing to work harder to cover the price difference.

If all goes well, I will be transitioning from my 9yr old 2013 Mazda3. Lucid will be a MASSIVE change.
Good call. The 3 and Y are not really competitors to the Lucid Air. The new Lucid that is targeted for 2025 would be the competitor. To the extent that Lucid and Tesla compete, the competitor to the Air would be the "S".

I am with you on the Pure. And if you got in early, as I did, you already have a discount.

Huh. Just found out from Traveler's that they do not insure Lucid regardless of trim level.

Almost final on my decision!

Been thinking about DDP the last few days. Having driven the Lucid, I got a taste of how fast it can go at very little time which increases risk of collision and accidents. It's also a much larger car than my current one. At this point, I want to prioritize DDP over glass canopy. Also 410miles on Pure AWD. That's very nice! I like the Fathom blue color too.

Fully loaded Touring 19" > Fully loaded Air 19" metal roof > Touring 19" glass roof no DDP

No DDP Touring which wont get delivered by end of year will land me in the same situation as the Pure in terms of EV credit. With that said. Here's my plan:

1) Finalize order today for fully loaded 19" Touring. Cancel and lose $1000 deposit if:
a) car does not get delivered by end of 2022 and/or
b) not enough income tax for EV credit (big 2021 carryover losses from business).
2a) Get fully loaded Air 19" and save myself ~17.5k after taxes vs Touring or
2b) Buy a used AGT for $120k which is $5500 more than a brand new fully loaded Touring with no EV credit.

Almost final on my decision!

Been thinking about DDP the last few days. Having driven the Lucid, I got a taste of how fast it can go at very little time which increases risk of collision and accidents. It's also a much larger car than my current one. At this point, I want to prioritize DDP over glass canopy. Also 410miles on Pure AWD. That's very nice! I like the Fathom blue color too.

Fully loaded Touring 19" > Fully loaded Air 19" metal roof > Touring 19" glass roof no DDP

No DDP Touring which wont get delivered by end of year will land me in the same situation as the Pure in terms of EV credit. With that said. Here's my plan:

1) Finalize order today for fully loaded 19" Touring. Cancel and lose $1000 deposit if:
a) car does not get delivered by end of 2022 and/or
b) not enough income tax for EV credit (big 2021 carryover losses from business).
2a) Get fully loaded Air 19" and save myself ~17.5k after taxes vs Touring or
2b) Buy a used AGT for $120k which is $5500 more than a brand new fully loaded Touring with no EV credit.
2b.

Just finished calculating my 2022 tax returns. Looks like some whackery going on when calculating carry forwarding previous year Net Operating Loss. There's some percentages after a certain threshold it seems. In my situation only about half my previous losses make a dent on owed taxes. Makes me wonder if I can still carry over to 2023. Need more time studying this.

This is just an example. Line 8 assumes previous year business loss of 2M. This year's income of 1M. See how adjusted gross income -900k but I still owe almost $300k in taxes.

Already talked to TaxAct and I did put things in the right spot.

1668621264398.png

Finally drove a Lucid yesterday!

Pedals and Breaking
Took a while to get used to regenerative breaking. I probably got all my passengers dizzy with my harsh slow downs and stops lol! I prefer the standard regenerative breaking over the high setting since I can control the slowing a bit better.

Uphill
Driving uphill was buttery smooth! It was a curvy road with a lot of turns so I maxed out out 35mph. I didn't feel the car sweat at all. I think it won't be any problem if I wanted to go 70+mph going uphill. Very responsive and it's always a nicer feeling for me driving a car closer to the ground compared to SUV's.

Steering Wheel and Turning
I've read people describe the Lucid as "heavy" when driving it. Comparing to my Mazda3, the steering felt a bit heavier/harder to turn. I wonder if that's what people meant by "heavy"? Can the steering effort be adjusted? I was putting a bit more effort turning the Lucid vs my current car.

Acceleration and Speed
Wow. Super fun but also dangerously fast! I could speed up on command and I am absolutely certain I'm not even pushing the car anywhere to its limit. It's very very very easy to go past my intended speed. The car is very quiet unlike my Mazda3 where I can hear and feel the car going to certain speeds. From 70 to 85mph it would take a several seconds and the engine will rev up which I could both feel and hear. With the Lucid I would press the pedal, blink my eyes, then look at the dashboard and there I am going from 70mph to past 90mph.

Car Size
Strangely, despite being longer and wider than the CX-5 I test drove recently, the Lucid felt like I was driving a smaller car. It didn't feel like I was eating my whole lane.

How can you test license plate availability?
State specific thing?
I went to state DMV website application for custom plates. Entered my car info, selected a plate, then there's a page to input characters. It will say if it's taken already

Back