New member. Taking my chances.

noobzilla

When I was a kid I wondered why we aren't driving electric cars yet.
Renewable energy + electric cars = almost free fuel!
I was young, but it's still my dream.
Some day we will transition. And hell I will own one!

Decades later....
Reserved a Pure.
WOOHOO!

it's not yet a dream come true.
All these things need to line up properly this year otherwise it would be another 4-5 years.
1) I need a new job with at least a certain salary
2) Mom not have anything serious with her health (just had endoscopy + colonoscopy this week; waiting for results whether the polyps found are cancerous)
3) Whether my stock bet will boom (AXSM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being greedy to even want this.
I'm putting it at 10% chance but I won't be sad if it doesn't happen.
I'm already very happy to even have a chance at this car.

Good luck to us still dreaming. To those who have achieved it, please enjoy it very well :)

As a kid I was into r/c cars and I remember preferring electric to nasty loud gas racing cars. And I recall being terribly disappointed to learn how real cars work, with combustion engines and transmissions or torque converters and wondering why they weren’t designed just like my electric r/c cars. And now here we are, 30 years later….

As a kid I was into r/c cars and I remember preferring electric to nasty loud gas racing cars. And I recall being terribly disappointed to learn how real cars work, with combustion engines and transmissions or torque converters and wondering why they weren’t designed just like my electric r/c cars. And now here we are, 30 years later….
Yep... 30 years later indeed

a bit more background

I've been closely following EV for a long time now. Just waiting for more 300+mi range EVs and prices to go down to ~$35k but now I realized the opposite will be happening due to supply chain issues and massive increases in prices of raw materials like lithium. Even if I factor out issues due to covid, I think new demand will easily outpace new supply sources for lithium hence the continued price increases. If I keep waiting too long the federal tax credit will disappear too. Oh not to mention the current crazy high inflation rate! Model Y went from 52k usd to 62k in just two years! Honestly if it weren't for these three factors I wouldn't be considering EV now.

So why the Lucid? I considered getting a Model Y about two years ago but I thought I'd rather keep investing the money and donate instead of getting a new car. I don't drive much anyways considering my 9yr old car is only about to hit 50k miles. Plus it also felt a bit excessive and luxurious (funny to say now that I've reserved an Air). I usually have a bit of this guilt that since I am well off compared to a majority of people in the world that I shouldn't spend and live so lavishly. But recently I've come to realize that I'm not getting any younger and why deprive myself especially if I work for it and most importantly I'm doing honest work so no need to feel guilty.

Last month I reconsidered Model Y again but with just a bit more budget stretching plus the tax credit I think the Pure has much better overall value. I did check my ex-housemate's Model Y and the interior quality feels very lacking and questionable. I also considered that if I'm really tight for budget perhaps the Model 3 could work, but then for just a bit more the Model Y makes more sense. In the end, no matter what angle I look at it, I would still prefer the Pure. After $7500 credits and AWD config the Pure is ~$20k more expensive than an equivalent Model 3 and ~$12k vs a Model Y. I'm willing to work harder to cover the price difference.

If all goes well, I will be transitioning from my 9yr old 2013 Mazda3. Lucid will be a MASSIVE change.

a bit more background

I've been closely following EV for a long time now. Just waiting for more 300+mi range EVs and prices to go down to ~$35k but now I realized the opposite will be happening due to supply chain issues and massive increases in prices of raw materials like lithium. Even if I factor out issues due to covid, I think new demand will easily outpace new supply sources for lithium hence the continued price increases. If I keep waiting too long the federal tax credit will disappear too. Oh not to mention the current crazy high inflation rate! Model Y went from 52k usd to 62k in just two years! Honestly if it weren't for these three factors I wouldn't be considering EV now.

So why the Lucid? I considered getting a Model Y about two years ago but I thought I'd rather keep investing the money and donate instead of getting a new car. I don't drive much anyways considering my 9yr old car is only about to hit 50k miles. Plus it also felt a bit excessive and luxurious (funny to say now that I've reserved an Air). I usually have a bit of this guilt that since I am well off compared to a majority of people in the world that I shouldn't spend and live so lavishly. But recently I've come to realize that I'm not getting any younger and why deprive myself especially if I work for it and most importantly I'm doing honest work so no need to feel guilty.

Last month I reconsidered Model Y again but with just a bit more budget stretching plus the tax credit I think the Pure has much better overall value. I did check my ex-housemate's Model Y and the interior quality feels very lacking and questionable. I also considered that if I'm really tight for budget perhaps the Model 3 could work, but then for just a bit more the Model Y makes more sense. In the end, no matter what angle I look at it, I would still prefer the Pure. After $7500 credits and AWD config the Pure is ~$20k more expensive than an equivalent Model 3 and ~$12k vs a Model Y. I'm willing to work harder to cover the price difference.

If all goes well, I will be transitioning from my 9yr old 2013 Mazda3. Lucid will be a MASSIVE change.

My DD before the Lucid Dream was a 2012 Mazda 3 i GT. Love it and still have it. You’re in for a really fun ride ;)

We could have had them since 1890! Look at page 12 — the names of the cars are same as Tesla’s!

Don’t get as disappointed as I was after reading this:

Last edited:
Spent 1.5hrs at the studio. Shout out to Christopher Wright for excellent tour service.

I'm surprised how spacious the car is... actually too spacious I felt lol. I wouldnt mind a smaller version of Air.

In terms of the colors of zenith red, Tahoe, and Santa Cruz they actually look much nicer in person. The tahoe looked orangey in most pictures here but it's more light brown. Santa Cruz is more white/light cream. Zenith red isn't really that maroon-y. I took some pics with my DSLR. I will check photo quality later and post them. Hopefully the pics have good color representation.

The glass roof did absorb a lot of heat. Sunny day and I didn't really feel it through the roof. I did feel some heat through the side windows.

I wasnt allowed to test drive. At the moment it's only for those who have received order confirmation.

The agent told me I can postpone my order for whatever reason and won't be placed back at the bottom of the reservation queue. I can just call back and say I'm ready then it would take some weeks to get the VIN and the car produced. If I do purchase I don't want it until 2023 for tax purposes.

Condition #2 has been achieved! Mom got her lab results and nothing cancerous found on her stomach. Yay!
Condition #3 not yet achieved but I'm more optimistic with the recent news and events.

Tomorrow is the big day! I will have a job offer discussion. I'm praying it will be in the range I'm expecting where I'd be able to afford a Lucid! Not the hotwheels one but the real one!

Condition #2 has been achieved! Mom got her lab results and nothing cancerous found on her stomach. Yay!
Condition #3 not yet achieved but I'm more optimistic with the recent news and events.

Tomorrow is the big day! I will have a job offer discussion. I'm praying it will be in the range I'm expecting where I'd be able to afford a Lucid! Not the hotwheels one but the real one!
Good luck my man! Happy to hear about condition #2!

I recently visited Millbrae, too. They definitely have a good staff there. I was very impressed with the whole operation.

Happy to hear about condition 2. Best wishes on 3.

Looks like you have few things going on and trending for the better. Wish you the best!

If you’re gonna own the vehicle, figuring out true cost of ownership makes the Lucid GT more affordable than an ICE Mercedes S Class and probably ICE AMG E class when you factor in premium fuel vs charging costs and much lower maintenance and depreciation and dealer markups and current $7500 EV tax credit. The Air Pure would probably translate to being about the same lifetime cost of ownership as a Mercedes C class.

And most importantly congratulations on the no cancer news for your mom!

Last edited:
Back