New Member from Oak Brook IL

May I ask how tall you are please?
6'

45 minutes in a parked car may be a different experience than being on the road. I'm thinking rear headrests are going to be my issue. Hopefully, they come out. My daughter is 9, and I don't usually have anyone in back seat other than her.

You can remove them, but they are not powered

Wait Mercedes had the EQS in the Oak Brook mall parking lot?
Absolutely. But, it was a one-time event Sat & Sun. It was a month or more ago. Got email invite because I previously expressed interest in EQS. I had an appointment, but because it was heavily raining on that Saturday, and had many reservation no-shows, they allowed anyone to drive one. They had about 6 available to drive, both rear wheel and all-wheel.
I visited Palm Beach studio in August and sat in a prototype. I visited Oak Brook studio in early December (with reservation) and sat in a pre-production car Dream Edition and played with dashboard buttons. Many walk-ins in studio also sat in car. I test-drove Mercedes EQS in Oak Brook parking lot in December. I had a test- drive reservation, but thay allowed anyone to do so since it was raining and many test-drive reservationists did not show up. It was a great car, but I believe Lucid Air choice is better.
I have 10 photos on I-pad from test-drive EQS in Oak Brook Shopping Center. I am not tech-savvy, but will try to attach them. They had 6 cars, some RWD & others AWD. It was raining hard about a month ago on a Saturday. I had appointment, but many no-shows, so they allowed anyone to drive. 43139A43-C3B8-483F-899B-001E90E606AF.jpeg7BED1EE6-77A4-494E-82D9-9877C6DB5B84.jpeg64BF4081-5551-4A20-84D0-228FFF13FAE0.jpeg75A18EB0-0971-4283-8216-B017446DAD1C.jpegDEBBCB9F-E801-4D2C-B77B-4FAF1806A118.jpeg0F94B362-4777-4706-B135-D8C23FBA2324.jpeg12605A6D-3756-4E7E-A80B-AB7945218073.jpeg43C0E420-5DAB-4B44-B8C8-83FA2451BE11.jpegCFA88AC7-7DD2-45E4-B313-5DD01E2B6358.jpeg0C0C46F3-523E-4608-842A-9408801B48A5.jpeg

Absolutely. But, it was a one-time event Sat & Sun. It was a month or more ago. Got email invite because I previously expressed interest in EQS. I had an appointment, but because it was heavily raining on that Saturday, and had many reservation no-shows, they allowed anyone to drive one. They had about 6 available to drive, both rear wheel and all-wheel.

I have 10 photos on I-pad from test-drive EQS in Oak Brook Shopping Center. I am not tech-savvy, but will try to attach them. They had 6 cars, some RWD & others AWD. It was raining hard about a month ago on a Saturday. I had appointment, but many no-shows, so they allowed anyone to drive. View attachment 549View attachment 548View attachment 547View attachment 546View attachment 545View attachment 544View attachment 543View attachment 542View attachment 541View attachment 540
22C73F3C-67DE-4623-8828-620EB33F3515.jpeg01468FA7-477B-4B97-A033-5738860117D8.jpegD8CAB410-9399-4406-A28F-A0C9F4A2E003.jpeg91BF3CAA-CECE-4969-9045-5082824F3DDF.jpeg72631BE2-7C3F-497B-BB69-86A0CBDF91B4.jpegB44210CC-32EB-4EBA-9A14-9EDED2EAA7CD.jpeg93D6B4A6-2E0E-4535-9B46-1DAFD5BF5F8C.jpeg

Just posted (see previous message without narrative) 7 photos from Lucid Motors studio in shopping center in Oak Brook, Illinois. This is the same location where I just posted 10 photos of EQS in Oak Brook parking lot. I test-drove EQS. Liked it, but think Lucid Air is better. Waiting for Lucid Ait GT delivery.

Great to see someone else in the Chicago area! I sat in (had appt) in Oakbrook myself (live in Mount Prospect) and am looking forward to being able to be on the road in one! Were you able to drive one before completing your order or was it a leap of faith? What is real-world charging like compared to Tesla?

Have driven Tesla S (twice), Tesla 3, Audi ETron, Mercedes EQS. Although I told myself that I would never buy without a test-drive, I did buy without a test drive. After having my $2,500 deposit down for 4 years, I didn’t want to wait additional months. Since I have driven above mentioned EV’s, I concluded I know what an EV feels like. I know, for example, what regenerative breaking feels like (although Lucid has a 1/2-regenerative and a no-regenerative optional button to facilitate the learning curve and comfort-level curve). I had to convert $1,000 of refundable deposit to non-refundable to confirm the order. So, I figured in the unlikely event I wouldn’t like it, my loss would be limited to $1,000. That was a tolerable risk, especially considering the terrible alternative of waiting many many more months in order to test-drive it.

I don’t own a Tesla S (Although my son-in-law has his second one), so I can’t opine about charging speed. But, I think Lucid can beat them to a pulp, and, in time, it can only get better. But, fast charge has the detriment of gradually degrading battery life. That’s the advantage of slower home charger which happens at night when speed doesn’t matter.

Great to see someone else in the Chicago area! I sat in (had appt) in Oakbrook myself (live in Mount Prospect) and am looking forward to being able to be on the road in one! Were you able to drive one before completing your order or was it a leap of faith? What is real-world charging like compared to Tesla?

See my lengthy reply in separate posting

I think Lucid can beat them to a pulp, and, in time, it can only get better. But, fast charge has the detriment of gradually degrading battery life. That’s the advantage of slower home charger which happens at night when speed doesn’t matter.
Thanks for the feedback. I am dating myself but many years ago I bought a brand new Lexus SC430 without the luxury of a test drive ahead of time and regretted it by taking a pretty huge dive trading it in a year later because it just wasn't for me ultimately. This would technically be my 4th EV so I'm not at all new to eV life. I was wondering about things like getting in and out of the seat (considering the car seems to have a very low roof line), blind spots, visibility, seating position and comfort factor, etc (those tangible items you can only realize from real-world experience).

Thanks for the feedback. I am dating myself but many years ago I bought a brand new Lexus SC430 without the luxury of a test drive ahead of time and regretted it by taking a pretty huge dive trading it in a year later because it just wasn't for me ultimately. This would technically be my 4th EV so I'm not at all new to eV life. I was wondering about things like getting in and out of the seat (considering the car seems to have a very low roof line), blind spots, visibility, seating position and comfort factor, etc (those tangible items you can only realize from real-world experience).
Previously owned LS-430. Liked it. Just curious what you didn’t like about
I had an LS-430. SC is a little sports car. I don’t have first-hand knowledge but, I was told it was so sensitive that you feel driving over every crack in the road. At my age, I want comfort. Is that why you didn’t like it or another reason? Prefer test drive, but life is a risk. Don’t like alternative of waiting another 6+ months after waiting 4 years so far. Worst case scenario: I won’t like it and lose $1,000 non-refundable deposit. But, high probability I will like it, having been in the pre-production model, played with controls, driven other EV’s, and read many favorable reports.

I you are 6’ tall, it may be an issue ducking when getting in. In my case, I didn’t think about it and wasn’t conscious of it when I sat in the pre-production model. So,I think it will be OK for me. I assume they needed to do it for structural integrity, considering big glass windshield. I don’t know if it will be a nuisance, over time, or not. It may be very different in a one-time experience than regular routine. Low roofline is also a function of how tall you are. Didn’t bother me. You are right about blind-spots, etc. Just sitting in a car in a showroom rather than highway, one may not think about that. That is benefit of test drive which we missed.

Previously owned LS-430. Liked it. Just curious what you didn’t like about

I had an LS-430. SC is a little sports car. I don’t have first-hand knowledge but, I was told it was so sensitive that you feel driving over every crack in the road. At my age, I want comfort. Is that why you didn’t like it or another reason? Prefer test drive, but life is a risk. Don’t like alternative of waiting another 6+ months after waiting 4 years so far. Worst case scenario: I won’t like it and lose $1,000 non-refundable deposit. But, high probability I will like it, having been in the pre-production model, played with controls, driven other EV’s, and read many favorable reports.

I you are 6’ tall, it may be an issue ducking when getting in. In my case, I didn’t think about it and wasn’t conscious of it when I sat in the pre-production model. So,I think it will be OK for me. I assume they needed to do it for structural integrity, considering big glass windshield. I don’t know if it will be a nuisance, over time, or not. It may be very different in a one-time experience than regular routine. Low roofline is also a function of how tall you are. Didn’t bother me. You are right about blind-spots, etc. Just sitting in a car in a showroom rather than highway, one may not think about that. That is benefit of test drive which we missed.

My wife had the limited edition "Pebble Beach" version of her SC430. She loved the car but it did have some serious drawbacks. 1) The run-flat tires were horrible. As you wrote, they were very hard and you felt every flaw in the roadway. 2) Rear visibility was horrible (with the top up) both from the rear view mirror and trying to look over your shoulder. Other than that she really enjoyed the car and kept it for many years.

Regarding the visibility in the Dream Edition, on my test drive I found the rear view mirror to be fine and the side view mirrors excellent, especially since they also have a camera that displays on the front console when you invoke the turn signal. Looking over your shoulder does incur some blind spot effect, but proper use of the rear view and side view mirrors eliminates this as a problem based on my one hour test drive.
As for getting in and out, I am 5'9" and haven't had a problem in the front or the back, but then again, I was warned and thus was careful entering the car. I think you just have to remember to warn passengers to be careful.

Alright thanks, I am actually 5'9" but my husband is 6'2" so he might grumble about it. Yes, I HATED the blind spots in the SC430 and the ride quality (I'm the girl/wife btw).

I don't want a floaty caddy that is all mush over everything but don't want a bone jarring over every bump ride feel either. I already discovered you can remove the rear head rests in the showroom so that helps.

I'm hoping at some point soon I could at least get a ride as a passenger from a Lucid showroom (I can hope anyway).

Alright thanks, I am actually 5'9" but my husband is 6'2" so he might grumble about it. Yes, I HATED the blind spots in the SC430 and the ride quality (I'm the girl/wife btw).

I don't want a floaty caddy that is all mush over everything but don't want a bone jarring over every bump ride feel either. I already discovered you can remove the rear head rests in the showroom so that helps.

I'm hoping at some point soon I could at least get a ride as a passenger from a Lucid showroom (I can hope anyway).
I found the ride quality in all three modes to be outstanding. My last car was a Porsche Panamera which had very good ride quality, but I found the Dream to be even better in all respects (comfort, handling, noise, etc.). I'm thinking removing the rear center headrest might be a good compromise, especially since I don't anticipate having anyone sitting in the middle rear seat.

I found the ride quality in all three modes to be outstanding. My last car was a Porsche Panamera which had very good ride quality, but I found the Dream to be even better in all respects (comfort, handling, noise, etc.). I'm thinking removing the rear center headrest might be a good compromise, especially since I don't anticipate having anyone sitting in the middle rear seat.

Since I just sold my 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo 3 weeks ago, to make room for my ordered Lucid Air GT, that is very encouraging to hear.

Really, better handling than the Porsche??

My wife had the limited edition "Pebble Beach" version of her SC430. She loved the car but it did have some serious drawbacks. 1) The run-flat tires were horrible. As you wrote, they were very hard and you felt every flaw in the roadway. 2) Rear visibility was horrible (with the top up) both from the rear view mirror and trying to look over your shoulder. Other than that she really enjoyed the car and kept it for many years.

Regarding the visibility in the Dream Edition, on my test drive I found the rear view mirror to be fine and the side view mirrors excellent, especially since they also have a camera that displays on the front console when you invoke the turn signal. Looking over your shoulder does incur some blind spot effect, but proper use of the rear view and side view mirrors eliminates this as a problem based on my one hour test drive.
As for getting in and out, I am 5'9" and haven't had a problem in the front or the back, but then again, I was warned and thus was careful entering the car. I think you just have to remember to warn passengers to be careful.

I had a Lexus SC400, and then a SC430. Outside of the "horrible" run flat tires on the SC430, they were both very enjoyable cars to own. Interior luxury was top notch, service impeccable and with both cars, I almost never had to bring them in for service as nothing ever went wrong with those cars. Quality and reliability was superb. Of course they did not compare to my Porsche's in handling etc, (different type of cars-apples vs oranges). Still I was sorry to see the model discontinued.

Since I just sold my 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo 3 weeks ago, to make room for my ordered Lucid Air GT, that is very encouraging to hear.

Really, better handling than the Porsche??
I've owned four Porsches and loved them all. I tracked my 911 for five years through PCA and ran all of the tracks many times out here in CA. My comparison for the Lucid was my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid which is heavier than your Turbo and it came with the Pirelli P7 all season tires. I drove the Porsche many times up on Skyline Blvd here in the Bay Area aggressively and found the handling to be very good and predictable, but I'm sure your Turbo would handle even better. On my one hour test drive of the Dream we did go up in the hills nearby and I drove it somewhat aggressively in Sprint mode. I was impressed with the precise way it moved through the twisty rough roads. Handling was very predictable and no fuss. All of that said, my impression is limited since I only drove it for an hour and of that only 15 minutes or so was on the windy roads at speed. One area I definitely found the Lucid superior was the overall seat comfort. My Panamera had the fully upgraded leather interior and I found the 14 way seats to be somewhat stiff, especially on long drives during which my back got very tired. The seat in the Lucid felt outstanding to me, but again, I only drove it for an hour.

I've owned four Porsches and loved them all. I tracked my 911 for five years through PCA and ran all of the tracks many times out here in CA. My comparison for the Lucid was my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid which is heavier than your Turbo and it came with the Pirelli P7 all season tires. I drove the Porsche many times up on Skyline Blvd here in the Bay Area aggressively and found the handling to be very good and predictable, but I'm sure your Turbo would handle even better. On my one hour test drive of the Dream we did go up in the hills nearby and I drove it somewhat aggressively in Sprint mode. I was impressed with the precise way it moved through the twisty rough roads. Handling was very predictable and no fuss. All of that said, my impression is limited since I only drove it for an hour and of that only 15 minutes or so was on the windy roads at speed. One area I definitely found the Lucid superior was the overall seat comfort. My Panamera had the fully upgraded leather interior and I found the 14 way seats to be somewhat stiff, especially on long drives during which my back got very tired. The seat in the Lucid felt outstanding to me, but again, I only drove it for an hour.

I had the 18 way adaptive sport seats with the higher side bolsters on my Panamera, and they were perfect for my 5'7" frame

Back