New here … tire question

LucidKaz

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
Hi everyone … new here and excited for my first EV… technically it will be for the wifey. just ordered grand touring a few days ago and now second guessing myself on tires.

I ordered 19s figuring it would be more comfortable for my wife and kids …. But the 21s just have that cool factor …. I live in southern cali and the weather not much of a factor … anyone have any feedback on noise and comfort on 21 … is it that much different than the whole 19… not sure the the extra 20 miles of driving is a huge incentive to go smaller size … but then again I’m new to ev … Lastly … I have not yet had my call with the advisers … Is it too late to modify the order to larger tires ?
Any feedback is appreciated

Not too late to modify. You can do that when you confirm your order. I’ll let someone who actually has the car answer the specifics.

The 21s are pretty smooth most of the time, occasionally here in San Diego there is a deep manhole cover or the like that can result in a harsh jolt being transmitted to passenger cabin. Mostly the suspension does a good job. I have not driven an Air with 19’s, but I have driven other makes with 19s and 21s. The 19s are definitely more compliant. The extra side wall becomes part of the suspension Also, your unsprung weight will be lower with the 19s which also helps out the rest of the suspension. It will be very hard to quantify exactly the difference until we can drive 19s and 21s back to back. On my Yukon I went with 19 rims for comfort and for the very limited driving I do on unimproved roads. On the Air I wanted the look of the 21s and the car is smooth enough I don’t regret the choice.

The 21s are pretty smooth most of the time, occasionally here in San Diego there is a deep manhole cover or the like that can result in a harsh jolt being transmitted to passenger cabin. Mostly the suspension does a good job. I have not driven an Air with 19’s, but I have driven other makes with 19s and 21s. The 19s are definitely more compliant. The extra side wall becomes part of the suspension Also, your unsprung weight will be lower with the 19s which also helps out the rest of the suspension. It will be very hard to quantify exactly the difference until we can drive 19s and 21s back to back. On my Yukon I went with 19 rims for comfort and for the very limited driving I do on unimproved roads. On the Air I wanted the look of the 21s and the car is smooth enough I don’t regret the choice.
Ditto what @Bill55 said about the 21s. I went with the 21s because they definitely look better, but also for handling. Living in SoCal our roads are pretty good. If I lived in pothole he'll I probably would have gone with the 19s. My mom is sensitive to bumps and crappy rides but has never complained about riding the the Lucid on 21s.

at reservation i picked the 19" but changed it to 21" during confirmation (@hydbob convinced me). since i live in the Bay Area i'm not too worried about driving below 40F and i only plan to drive in and around CA the first few months. I'll most likely get a 19" set later this year from Lucid or if there are good third party alternatives.

I went the opposite direction. Currently on 21” wheels in my MS and have 19” ordered for my GT - not necessarily for comfort since the 21’s ride fine, but I ordered this car for range and 19’s give that. 20 miles is important for long trips, not noticeable for daily driving. The look of the 19’s is better in person, and you can always remove the center caps for daily driving.

I went the opposite direction. Currently on 21” wheels in my MS and have 19” ordered for my GT - not necessarily for comfort since the 21’s ride fine, but I ordered this car for range and 19’s give that. 20 miles is important for long trips, not noticeable for daily driving. The look of the 19’s is better in person, and you can always remove the center caps for daily driving.
I was the same way. I have been waiting for a long range EV to replace the ICE on trips So the extra range mattered to me. It is a bonus for when in pothole country. Plus, I like the look of the 19s just fine, especially now that I have seen them IRL.

Man …. This is hard …. I do love the look on the 21s… but also like the range aspect of 19… my first ev so not sure how much range anxiety I will have .. also I was just told in Newport Beach that the range on the 19 is actually about 50 miles Higher … I should expect about 465 on 21 instead of 517 I believe he said on the 19

Just switched my order from 19 to 21 … thanks guys …

Man …. This is hard …. I do love the look on the 21s… but also like the range aspect of 19… my first ev so not sure how much range anxiety I will have .. also I was just told in Newport Beach that the range on the 19 is actually about 50 miles Higher … I should expect about 465 on 21 instead of 517 I believe he said on the 19
Go with 21s and buy spare 19s. 19s are cheaper and can serve you on long road trips.

Go with 21s and buy spare 19s. 19s are cheaper and can serve you on long road trips.
What would a set of 19s for winter/road trips cost?

Hi everyone … new here and excited for my first EV… technically it will be for the wifey. just ordered grand touring a few days ago and now second guessing myself on tires.

I ordered 19s figuring it would be more comfortable for my wife and kids …. But the 21s just have that cool factor …. I live in southern cali and the weather not much of a factor … anyone have any feedback on noise and comfort on 21 … is it that much different than the whole 19… not sure the the extra 20 miles of driving is a huge incentive to go smaller size … but then again I’m new to ev … Lastly … I have not yet had my call with the advisers … Is it too late to modify the order to larger tires ?
Any feedback is appreciated
I drove both back to back for about an hour in total. Think of it like a good stereo: the 21’s are the volume cranked up and loads of detail. The 19’s are the volume down a few notches but no loss in detail, just a bit of punch.

I went with the 19” wheels because I prefer the extra sidewall and range, even though I’m sorely tempted by the looks of the 21” set. You wont regret either as it just comes down to aesthetics and slightly different character on the road, which both excel at.

I think the decision should just be based on where you live. I live in New England and my current car has AMG 18” wheels, and I had no idea how careful you have to be with lower profile tires. I do a lot of parallel parking and my rims are trashed. And the potholes have finished the job. I should have my Air GT in 2ish weeks and will then assess how much the parking camera will save the tires, but the Mercedes backup camera shows lines for where your tires are and I still would clip curbs sometimes.

Were you able to compare real life examples of 19 vs 21?
No … but I do have 21 in a Porsche and they feel fine … biggest difference here is my wife will be driving the lucid with kids in tow … I’m in southern cali so weather really not an issue but we do have the potholes and being able to actually get over 500 miles would have been great for bragging lol

Seems most like 21, but I actually prefer the look of the 19 along with better range and ride.

Back