New CarPlay

I think most of us have been hearing the “any day” thing now for a few months. And I am starting to wonder if that’s direction from corporate to all their employees that if someone ask you about car play, just give them a standard reply. Just seems buzzare that the car has been out for approximately 14 months and car play is still “any day” now.
I would agree if it were a standard line. But every employee seems to have a different take on why it’s taking so long. So I think it’s more these employees have been playing telephone, and none of them are fully understanding the actual holdup. Lucid definitely does not want the real reason for the holdup to be known. But the important bit is that it’s still coming. They don’t intend to abandon it. That’s all I want to know, honestly. The timeline is anyone’s guess.

I’m always mystified as to why people think Lucid software is so cloak and dagger. They release software when it’s ready and I doubt there is some big secret as to why something hasn’t been released or why something doesn’t work as well as it should. It would be nice if they made a statement about CarPlay since they did make one saying end of year. That was a mistake in the first place and you see why they remain silent most of the time.

I’m always mystified as to why people think Lucid software is so cloak and dagger. They release software when it’s ready and I doubt there is some big secret as to why something hasn’t been released or why something doesn’t work as well as it should. It would be nice if they made a statement about CarPlay since they did make one saying end of year. That was a mistake in the first place and you see why they remain silent most of the time.
My whole point and I think others may agree with me on this forum is that when you advertise anything as a feature with the car, and people have paid for it and patiently waited to receive the services for almost over a year and still not received them, you will have upset customers. A good example of this is the Highway Assist - for the longest time Highway Assist was listed under DD section, but later in the production, they decided to offer it only under DDPro.

I am a consultant for several Clients, and all my Clients will not be happy when I advertise/promise them something and do not hold my end of the bargain by the deadline. I understand that Lucid is trying their best and it's only 1-year into production as a company and it's not fair for me to compare them to legacy automakers since they are just learning to walk while others are already running on their feet. But you don't advertise something and go "silent" about it is my whole point. I rather have a company that's transparent to their customers and be extra communicative. And better yet, why not "under promise and over deliver?"

Additionally, most of these cars are just purely software locked, if you know you have failed to deliver something on time, why not compensate your customers by like 3-month additional trial for Tidal, or DDPro or whatever else to earn the trust in the company. Isn't that what they are trying to do with the $7,500 rebate for customers up front. They are trying to earn more business, and I think giving software perks/trials would a great way to do it to make up for the wrong/delays.

Tesla does the same crap too with "Oh FSD will be out this year" and 6-years later, it's still in Beta. I am hoping that Lucid doesn't follow the same trend as Tesla. I would like to continue to keep my faith in Lucid's abilities and I hope for their success and I hope it's a more popular EV on the road than Tesla ever was!

My whole point and I think others may agree with me on this forum is that when you advertise anything as a feature with the car, and people have paid for it and patiently waited to receive the services for almost over a year and still not received them, you will have upset customers. A good example of this is the Highway Assist - for the longest time Highway Assist was listed under DD section, but later in the production, they decided to offer it only under DDPro.

I totally agree. Great points. It’s best to always underpromise and with software timelines are unwise. The $7,500 credit is really a market response rather than a goodwill gesture in my option.

I also think that the verbiage on their website concerning CarPlay and AA is confusing. I suspect it was written at a time when they were more optimist about the date of release of those features but they should at least asterisk the statement with a qualifier “available in future update” for example. However they aren’t alone in the world of over promising in the car industry. Not a justification but it does seem to be common in this industry.

If it's not going to be implemented in the Pilot Panel, does the cockpit screen have enough real estate to provide a good, high resolution experience? I was looking at the right side, curved section of the cockpit panel the other day, wondering if it was big enough to fit in the size and aspect ratios Apple's requirements demand. I believe every CarPlay implementation I've had in the past was in a larger screen that that section of cockpit panel.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong and there's plenty of room.

"No ETA just yet on Apple Carplay – it will be coming, free of charge via a software update, to all clients. We’re hoping this will be in the coming months."

It is definitely dragging on way too long. It better be truly fantastic when we do get it or this forum will blow a gasket!!

It is definitely dragging on way too long. It better be truly fantastic when we do get it or this forum will blow a gasket!!
I’ve never had CarPlay before, but I really want it because everyone really wants it. Same reason why when I see a long line to get into a restaurant, I immediately go stand in it. 😎

I wonder if the range and soc estimates will appear at the route and stops in carplay or AA. Otherwise we are back to mental math and abrp carplay or abrp and android

I wonder if the range and soc estimates will appear at the route and stops in carplay or AA. Otherwise we are back to mental math and abrp carplay or abrp and android
Navigation works very well for SOC, range and suggested charging stops along with how long if engaged. Nav may be limited to EA chargers, not sure as the only routes I have taken have the necessary EA chargers along the way. CarPlay would be using the apps that you have on your phone that provide that information and offer a CarPlay version. Not sure if Apple or Google maps can calculate range and SOC ?

Navigation works very well for SOC, range and suggested charging stops along with how long if engaged. Nav may be limited to EA chargers, not sure as the only routes I have taken have the necessary EA chargers along the way. CarPlay would be using the apps that you have on your phone that provide that information and offer a CarPlay version. Not sure if Apple or Google maps can calculate range and SOC ?

I use android auto with pioneer in Toyota Sienna for several years and it knows nothing about the car. I was wondering if it would be any different in ev with android auto or carplay.

I use android auto with pioneer in Toyota Sienna for several years and it knows nothing about the car. I was wondering if it would be any different in ev with android auto or carplay.
Yes, you program into your phone which car you have. It will take multiple EVs as well. Then it will be able to know the SOC. Note that this does not work with all cars… My Jaguar, for example, does not talk to CarPlay in this way but the newer models do.

Yes, you program into your phone which car you have. It will take multiple EVs as well. Then it will be able to know the SOC. Note that this does not work with all cars… My Jaguar, for example, does not talk to CarPlay in this way but the newer models do.
So when lucid gets carplay, it can take the miles remaining from the system and put it into apple maps?

So when lucid gets carplay, it can take the miles remaining from the system and put it into apple maps?
Assuming Lucid programs it that way, yes.

CarPlay is even aware of range in ICE cars… If the low fuel light comes on in my car, CarPlay will know that and ask me if i want directions to a gas station.

CarPlay is even aware of range in ICE cars… If the low fuel light comes on in my car, CarPlay will know that and ask me if i want directions to a gas station.
Wow! I thought it was exclusive to new carplay!

That is perfect. I hope Android Auto built into the car which supports carplay and Android does the same. As I said, the 3rd party Pioneer in my sienna does not talk to the CAN bus in the car. So, it knows nothing about the status of the car.

Maybe if we don’t get “new CarPlay” we’ll at least get Apple Maps on the cluster screen:

Same thing is concurrently coming to Volvo.

Maybe if we don’t get “new CarPlay” we’ll at least get Apple Maps on the cluster screen:

I was going to ask you about this announcement. This is just what some other cars have now, with a secondary screen, correct? It's not part of CarPlay 2?

Back