New CarPlay

I was going to ask you about this announcement. This is just what some other cars have now, with a secondary screen, correct? It's not part of CarPlay 2?
CarPlay 2 is not out yet. CarPlay 1 does support secondary screen nav. BMW has it too in some cars.

CarPlay 2 is not out yet. CarPlay 1 does support secondary screen nav. BMW has it too in some cars.
Technically, CarPlay 2 has been “out” since iOS 16 last year. But no manufacturer is expected to ship it until late this year. I was just curious if Volvo had managed to jump in a bit early. But I didn’t think so.

I was going to ask you about this announcement. This is just what some other cars have now, with a secondary screen, correct? It's not part of CarPlay 2?
Correct. This is all possible with the old CarPlay implementation.

Correct. This is all possible with the old CarPlay implementation.
GMC Sierra supports Nav in secondary screen. Very nice if you are using another app in CarPlay. The GMC will support 3 CarPlay apps to some degree. Nav will show in the instrument screen, car play, and audio source on the main panel. So if you are using CarPlay for pod cast or any music app that can also be displayed separately.

GMC Sierra supports Nav in secondary screen. Very nice if you are using another app in CarPlay. The GMC will support 3 CarPlay apps to some degree. Nav will show in the instrument screen, car play, and audio source on the main panel. So if you are using CarPlay for pod cast or any music app that can also be displayed separately.
My Jag shows the music info from CarPlay in the heads-up display.

The 2019 Kia Sorento I currently have as a rental also shows the track info in the central cluster while using CarPlay on the main screen … but my Lucid is a better car in every other way 😎

The 2019 Kia Sorento I currently have as a rental also shows the track info in the central cluster while using CarPlay on the main screen … but my Lucid is a better car in every other way 😎
The Lucid is by far the best EV, but the software is shit compared to any other car I have owned. I know others want to defend Lucid. The Lucid software is the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. BMW first generation of iDrive was better.

The Lucid is by far the best EV, but the software is shit compared to any other car I have owned. I know others want to defend Lucid. The Lucid software is the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. BMW first generation of iDrive was better.
No, others don’t want to defend Lucid. They just have different experiences and opinions than you do. Imagine that?

I haven’t needed to do a reset of any kind in well over a month. The car does pretty much whatever I need it to do. Of course I want them to add more features and yes, fix profiles. But I’ve been quite pleased with the software for some time now.

Certainly kicks the crap out of my Tesla user interface. Again, my experience. My opinion. I’m sure many here disagree.

But yeah. You do you.

No, others don’t want to defend Lucid. They just have different experiences and opinions than you do. Imagine that?

I haven’t needed to do a reset of any kind in well over a month. The car does pretty much whatever I need it to do. Of course I want them to add more features and yes, fix profiles. But I’ve been quite pleased with the software for some time now.

Certainly kicks the crap out of my Tesla user interface. Again, my experience. My opinion. I’m sure many here disagree.

But yeah. You do you.
Yes I do. Key fob or iPhone the lock unlock has been awful, homelink is awful, the audio/music interface is awful. The controls on the steering wheel are not very good, the car play implementation is not very good, the cup holders are too small. My wife is not a car person, as a passenger she thinks the Lucid is lacking compared to BMW, Mercede, Porsche, and to even the GMC Sierra. Yes, the Lucid is the fastest car, that matters to me, not at all to her, so the Lucid ranks below the other cars mentioned. Standing in the rain waiting for the car to unlock, gets very old, very fast.

Yes I do. Key fob or iPhone the lock unlock has been awful, homelink is awful, the audio/music interface is awful. The controls on the steering wheel are not very good, the car play implementation is not very good, the cup holders are too small. My wife is not a car person, as a passenger she thinks the Lucid is lacking compared to BMW, Mercede, Porsche, and to even the GMC Sierra. Yes, the Lucid is the fastest car, that matters to me, not at all to her, so the Lucid ranks below the other cars mentioned. Standing in the rain waiting for the car to unlock, gets very old, very fast.
You sound disappointed. Have you considered selling and moving on?

You sound disappointed. Have you considered selling and moving on?
The car has depreciated about 50% in just over a year. What would you pay for a DE performance with 20k miles? Happy to make a deal.

The car has depreciated about 50% in just over a year. What would you pay for a DE performance with 20k miles? Happy to make a deal.
Hmm, at 50% off I’d be tempted to upgrade … what color is it? ;)

Hmm, at 50% off I’d be tempted to upgrade … what color is it? ;)
Any other car I would expect about 25% depreciation at this point. It is DE 40. White. I would expect the car to be worth 135k. I have bought and sold a lot of cars. The Lucid almost certainly will be the highest depreciation whether I sell it tomorrow or 2 years from now.

Zero issues locking or unlocking with the mobile key on iPhone 13 Pro. I literally lost my fob and didn’t realize it for weeks.

Homelink is fine. The extra tap is really gonna cause you that much anxiety?

Music interface is fine; could be potential UX improvements, but no worse than any other car I’ve ever owned.

CarPlay works fine for me.

Cup holders work fine for every Starbucks cup and water bottle I’ve put in them, including my camelbak bottle.

I respect that you have opinions, but please don’t presume that your opinions and/or experiences match everyone else’s.

Has nothing to do with defending Lucid. Literally just works 🤷‍♂️

It‘s nice your iPhone works with zero issues. I’m using an iPhone 14pro and that is not my experience. Using the car as a daily driver I estimate I’ve unlocked the car over 2000 times. It’s very common to have to wake the iPhone before the car will unlock. Very annoying when standing in the rain.

I’ve had to use the key card twice when neither iPhone or App would work. Only 0.1% of the time. Not a huge issue if I’m at home or at the office. One of those 2, I was on a road trip. There is no other car I need to carry a spare key for.

The stated goal of this car is to be the best sports sedan in the world. So yes, having to navigate multiple screens to use homelink is a significant issue. More significant is that it is an easy fix and yet the UI stays unchanged for 18 months and counting. Anyone who uses the car as a daily driver and parks in a garage is impacted daily or has a work around.

I don’t know what cars you have owned, but the UI for Music in the Lucid is not good by comparison to any other car I drive. Rentals included.

I’ll acknowledge it’s a nice cup holder for a German car.

Again, nice CarPlay works for you. It’s still a limited Implementation. Example is Honda, GM, and BMW the CarPlay Nav displays in the same place as the native Nav.

I don’t think I’m the only one who has had car play stop working and then start working again with same iPhone and no changes.

You maybe be happy with the car as is. To reach the goal of best sports sedan in the world, comparisons have to be made.

The car is only going to get better if the flaws are exposed.

I’m currently in a position I get to experience a wide variety of new vehicles every week.

The Lucid is the best EV made, in my opinion the Lucid UI needs a lot of work to be the best, and in some cases needs more work just to be Ok.

I hope you carry the Key card in your wallet just in case one day your iPhone as a key goes from zero issues to 1 issue.

I get both sides of this argument. Reading this forum, at times, gives one the impression and feeling that many (or a select few) really make excuses for Lucid and sometimes stretch to find a positive spin for a shortfall or issue with this car that might not meet the "average joe's" expectations of a $150k car.

My mobile key works much, much better than it did, but I am still walking up to the car at times and waiting 30 seconds for it to open. I have not carried the fob for months. It's "fine".

Homelink is cumbersome, but works. It's "fine".

Music interface just is subpar, no way around that, but I manage. It's "fine".

CarPlay is inconsistent for me, but somehow I can stumble through getting it relinked and redisplayed. It's "fine".

Cupholders. No complaints from me, but I am not one who brings drinks with me often. It fits my wife's huge Stanley cup (not the hockey version) so I'm good.

For me, the tire/wheel issue is a bigger issue than any of the above. I considered the 19" wheels, but they look like a carbon copy of a wheel on a Nissan Sentra and I am coming from a BMW M5, so I went with the 21's. At the time I made that decision, the issues with the 21's really weren't prevalent yet. The 20's would have delayed delivery for months. My advisor recommended the 21's as they were included with the car and to buy a set of 19's later should be cheaper.

A reaction of "why don't you just sell this car" helps Lucid not one iota. They need to learn where their perceived shortfalls are in order to, hopefully, rectify them. If we are having these issues, it is a good bet others are as well who are not on this forum. The only ones who hear their complaints are potential customers.

I love my car and have learned the issues/workarounds/idiosyncrasies. I hope Lucid listens and improves over time.

In the end, I think it all comes down to expectations; expectations of what the product should be coming from a new car manufacturer, expectations of the timeline for enhancements, expectations of what a car at this price point should embody, expectations of the Company's evolution, etc.

Anyway, I regress, back to the topic. I like CarPlay in its' current form, but it isn't there yet, same inconsistencies as with other enhancements in the past. It's "fine" really shouldn't be Lucid's goal.

I get both sides of this argument. Reading this forum, at times, gives one the impression and feeling that many (or a select few) really make excuses for Lucid and sometimes stretch to find a positive spin for a shortfall or issue with this car that might not meet the "average joe's" expectations of a $150k car.

My mobile key works much, much better than it did, but I am still walking up to the car at times and waiting 30 seconds for it to open. I have not carried the fob for months. It's "fine".

Homelink is cumbersome, but works. It's "fine".

Music interface just is subpar, no way around that, but I manage. It's "fine".

CarPlay is inconsistent for me, but somehow I can stumble through getting it relinked and redisplayed. It's "fine".

Cupholders. No complaints from me, but I am not one who brings drinks with me often. It fits my wife's huge Stanley cup (not the hockey version) so I'm good.

For me, the tire/wheel issue is a bigger issue than any of the above. I considered the 19" wheels, but they look like a carbon copy of a wheel on a Nissan Sentra and I am coming from a BMW M5, so I went with the 21's. At the time I made that decision, the issues with the 21's really weren't prevalent yet. The 20's would have delayed delivery for months. My advisor recommended the 21's as they were included with the car and to buy a set of 19's later should be cheaper.

A reaction of "why don't you just sell this car" helps Lucid not one iota. They need to learn where their perceived shortfalls are in order to, hopefully, rectify them. If we are having these issues, it is a good bet others are as well who are not on this forum. The only ones who hear their complaints are potential customers.

I love my car and have learned the issues/workarounds/idiosyncrasies. I hope Lucid listens and improves over time.

In the end, I think it all comes down to expectations; expectations of what the product should be coming from a new car manufacturer, expectations of the timeline for enhancements, expectations of what a car at this price point should embody, expectations of the Company's evolution, etc.

Anyway, I regress, back to the topic. I like CarPlay in its' current form, but it isn't there yet, same inconsistencies as with other enhancements in the past. It's "fine" really shouldn't be Lucid's goal.
I’ve got 20’s on BMW 760 and they are definitely more compliant and so far more durable. 21s being prone to damage is not exclusive to Lucid, however, this is the only tire I’ve had sidewall bubbles. I’ve replaced 4 tires in 20k miles 3 of which I have no idea what road imperfection caused them. One I know what pot hole caused it and it was only 1” or so deep. Not a wheel eater. Between Lucid and Pirelli I have only had to buy one. Lucid service has always been very helpful.

I’ve got 20’s on BMW 760 and they are definitely more compliant and so far more durable. 21s being prone to damage is not exclusive to Lucid, however, this is the only tire I’ve had sidewall bubbles. I’ve replaced 4 tires in 20k miles 3 of which I have no idea what road imperfection caused them. One I know what pot hole caused it and it was only 1” or so deep. Not a wheel eater. Between Lucid and Pirelli I have only had to buy one. Lucid service has always been very helpful.
Wait, why did you get the 760 over the i7?

Anyone who uses the car as a daily driver and parks in a garage is impacted daily or has a work around.
My Air is my daily driver and I park it in a garage daily. Homelink works fine. It's literally one extra tap.
Example is Honda, GM, and BMW the CarPlay Nav displays in the same place as the native Nav.
Sure; I'm quite happy having CarPlay up on top and having the pilot panel be available to handle massage, drive modes, and various other items simultaneously. In fact, I think this is probably my preferred layout. The only improvement I would like is if Music could be on the bottom pilot panel simultaneously with CarPlay on top.
You maybe be happy with the car as is.
Sure, I am - but it isn't perfect, and I don't mean to Imply it is. It can definitely improve. It just appears my issues are different from yours. For example, the @TWRAPS wireless charging solution was necessary and a brilliant aftermarket addition to what was, in my opinion, a significant design oversight. There are plenty of other things I have been upset with the car for; they just aren't the same issues as yours, evidently.
I hope you carry the Key card in your wallet just in case one day your iPhone as a key goes from zero issues to 1 issue.
Even in that case, I'll just unlock it with the mobile app; I'm rarely in an area where I have no service. If I am, I'll bring my wife's fob.

I agree that reaction doesn't help. I certainly don't intend to come off as saying that.

However, I disagree that 'if we are having these issues, it is a good bet others are as well who are not on this forum.' This forum is an overrepresentation of the issues with the car, because those with issues are the most likely to post about them. Based on my talking to owners who are not on this forum, i.e. at EA stations, events, and various other places, they are generally thrilled with the car and don't have many (if any) issues with it. This forum (like any) definitely over-represents the issues that exist.

I also agree that they need to learn where to improve; that is why @Bobby built and entire website dedicated to a prioritized survey of bugs owners are facing.

Back