Navigation System on the Lucid, does it really work?

BS8899

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Don’t know if my experience is unique. But the navigation system on my Lucid is unbelievably unreliable. Honestly, it never really worked since Day 1 (16 month ago). Specifically,

• It “locks up” often…i.e., total unresponsive to any inputs.
  • Sometimes it works…you can access it on the front display and on the Pilot Panel.
  • Often, there is no destination input box (for destination) and no (tactile) way to input a destination.
  • SOMEIMES when there is no tactile input, one can use Alexa to send in a command. However, that’s by no means guaranteed.
  • Even when working, the navigation is laggy and close to being totally useless.
  • I don’t care for the navigation display (grey-ongrey), but you can call that a personal preference (and suck it up).

My questions:

• Do many of you Lucid owners experience the kind of problems I encountered? Is my experience unique?
  • I am an Android user. Now that Lucid supports CarPlay, are most of you iPhone users (80% of the Lucid owners) using CarPlay for navigation instead?
  • Is the navigation system on the Lucid a lost cause?

I’ve rarely had an issue with the Lucid nav. It almost always responds to my voice inputs, so I’ve rarely needed to manually enter a destination. The occasional issue I’ve had with voice input is only because what I’ve dictated did not conform to how it was listed in the database.

I haven’t had the lagging or lockup issues you’ve had. If the resets haven’t worked, I’d certainly ask CS about it. It shouldn’t behave as you describe.

Don’t know if my experience is unique. But the navigation system on my Lucid is unbelievably unreliable. Honestly, it never really worked since Day 1 (16 month ago)....
IMO something is wrong with your car. While I'm not the biggest fan of the car's navigation, mainly due to the use of HERE maps' database rather than Google's, it does work smoothly and is only very rarely buggy. I've never had missing controls. I'd definitely contact service.

The Lucid Nav gives me non-optimized routes all of the time but not the bugs you are seeing. I agree with @DeaneG to ask customer care to look at it.

I’ve rarely had an issue with the Lucid nav. It almost always responds to my voice inputs, so I’ve rarely needed to manually enter a destination. The occasional issue I’ve had with voice input is only because what I’ve dictated did not conform to how it was listed in the database.

I haven’t had the lagging or lockup issues you’ve had. If the resets haven’t worked, I’d certainly ask CS about it. It shouldn’t behave as you describe.
In all the time I've had the car, I've always typed in the destinations, I didnt know there was another choice. How do you do voice imput?

In all the time I've had the car, I've always typed in the destinations, I didnt know there was another choice. How do you do voice imput?
"Alexa, navigate to Crust Pizzeria Carmel Valley Rd in San Diego, CA"

This is not the typical experience. You need to have service look at your car if it is that laggy and things are disappearing regularly. My nav works fantastically, and is very smooth. Sometimes it gives a poor route, but none of the issues you've described.

I agree with you OP. While I don’t really have issues with it flat out not working…it’s incredibly laggy. Trying to input a destination is super frustrating. Like you mentioned, clicking the destination bar, the keyboard doesn’t pop up fully until many seconds later, and even then typing is slow and not responsive. I also agree on the color choices. The gray on gray is confusing. And then the dark blue and lighter blue alternate paths is also confusing

Given that a lot of lucid owners come from legacy automakers, I think it’s relatively good enough that people don’t have concerns about the performance. But I do wish Lucid would catch up with the fluidity and speed Tesla/Rivian UI has or just give up and give us carplay 2.0 or Android auto for the Android users out there

I agree with you OP. While I don’t really have issues with it flat out not working…it’s incredibly laggy. Trying to input a destination is super frustrating. Like you mentioned, clicking the destination bar, the keyboard doesn’t pop up fully until many seconds later, and even then typing is slow and not responsive. I also agree on the color choices. The gray on gray is confusing. And then the dark blue and lighter blue alternate paths is also confusing

Given that a lot of lucid owners come from legacy automakers, I think it’s relatively good enough that people don’t have concerns about the performance. But I do wish Lucid would catch up with the fluidity and speed Tesla/Rivian UI has or just give up and give us carplay 2.0 or Android auto for the Android users out there
You should get your car checked. I do not have any lag at all in nav once it’s loaded. It does take a few seconds to load. After that, it’s smooth sailing.

Perhaps we can compare when we meet up

I've driven up to Nude Hampster so many times I have a Rand McNally paper map with so many notations (don't miss this exit) (stop here for food) (backs up but exit is slower)...I keep it even though it's 50 years out of date. My kids can't fold a road map. My kids can't change a tire. My kids will probably space-uber my ashes to a virtual crypt on mars...once Lucid fixes the nav.

Day before yesterday finished 1200 miles round-trip and used built-in navigation for most of my trip. I've not faced the issues that were described in the post like - laggy, tactile not working, etc.

Plus point of using built-in navigation -
1. I tried to stick to the car's navigation mostly because it preconditions the battery when a charging station is selected as a stop on the way. Not sure if carplay will do that - need input from others.
2. It shows multiple routes with battery usage for each of the route options. Read more later in this post.

But here are the issues I faced:
1. Route choices were not great. I learned it the hard way and started comparing routes with the phone's Google Maps.
2. I couldn't find an option for "Avoid Tolls" in settings. The navigation always picked up toll routes, which I don't prefer when it is non-peak hours.
3. It doesn't have the precision required in navigation, many times it'll not take you to a nearby destination location and stops navigation on the road, not the exact place.
4. Though the navigation provides ETAs for multiple routes, I found them unreliable and I always picked up Google map suggestions to ensure I had a better ETA. This also left me questioning the battery usage estimates provided for comparison.

I would love LUCID to improve navigation because that's the key to battery utilization estimations and the impact on expected SOC on arrival.

But here are the issues I faced...
We've been using native Google maps in our Volvo EV for 2.5 years, and it's night and day better than Lucid's HERE, which we've used for 1.5 years.
We took the Air out for a 3-hour drive yesterday. HERE was mostly OK, good enough, but by no means one of the car's strengths.

Last edited:
I've experienced certain lag and annoyance with the navigation, and soft reset can help, but generally I've never liked using built in navigation since introduction of Android auto/carplay and Google maps. Just one less thing to get educated around.
Given the need for extra planning for an EV the lucid navigation becomes extra important especially as it integrates with the charging system and begins preconditioning while also providing charger availability and charge levels. Hopefully Android auto gets integrated in a way that communicates this information effectively (carplay doesn't at the moment and neither does Android auto through carlinkit).

Its OK to get you from city to city. But I no longer use it arrive at a certain location. It placed me 1/2 mile from the office I was trying to visit. I even asked another person, in the parking lot, where I can find the office. I thought I just could not find the right building. But I was not even close. That showed me to use my phone and not Lucid's nav.

...It placed me 1/2 mile from the office I was trying to visit...
We had a similar issue yesterday, but HERE was off less than 1/4 mile in a sprawling shopping center. We found our intended destination after a couple minutes of driving around hunting.

Thinking about Gravity as my next car: I think my Air GT is a fantastic vehicle, but I might want native Google maps and Google Assistant more. Polestar, Volvo, Porsche's Macan EV and many other decent alternatives are already running native Google Maps and Assistant in-dash, eliminating the need for Android Auto. Trading the Gravity's range for something with better daily ease-of-use and accuracy. I'm sure I'm in the tiny minority on this though.

My kids can't fold a road map.
Please. Literally nobody can fold a road map lol. Those things are one-time folds, and then they are “crap, which fold went which way” until eventually a seam rips lol

Thinking about Gravity as my next car: I think my Air GT is a fantastic vehicle, but I might want native Google maps and Google Assistant more. Polestar, Volvo, Porsche's Macan EV and many other decent alternatives are already running native Google Maps and Assistant in-dash, eliminating the need for Android Auto. Trading the Gravity's range for something with better daily ease-of-use and accuracy. I'm sure I'm in the tiny minority on this though.
You know, it’s funny how different priorities are. A lot of people are all “I refuse to let the car make my phone choice for me” and I am much more “I refuse to let the phone make my car choice for me.”

Even if the Air didn’t have CarPlay, I’d pick it again, because I can fix that problem with a carlinkit or just use the in-car nav, because the *car* is much more important to me than phone integration. At the end of the day, I care about the car and how it drives and makes me feel much more than “can I get a text” or using a workaround.

But I have a number of friends who are the opposite. If it doesn’t have CarPlay or Android Auto, they ain’t touching it. That’s how my friend ended up with a Civic, lol - they were one of the first to release CarPlay, and so that was the car he bought. It was a fine car, but I’d have picked my Mazda 3 again literally any day, without CarPlay or any other distractions.

For me, it's like the choice of a partner - do I want someone who is an extraordinary athlete, or someone who is extraordinarily smart? Unfortunately we currently can't get both in one car.

Back