My Lucid Oof’d it today

So they only replaced a blown fuse - a device that's entire purpose is a failsafe in case of another failure that would cause too much current - without trying to figure out why the fuse blew and fix that??? 🤦‍♂️
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Why just replace the fuse without figuring out what caused the dust to blow. Either lazy engineering or I don’t know what.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Why just replace the fuse without figuring out what caused the dust to blow. Either lazy engineering or I don’t know what.
My thinking is that if swapping the fuse worked, you would have the car faster. If not, Lucid would just investigate further and replace it again at their cost. Am I missing something or is this a SUPERIOR order of fixing things?

Chill... the first step is replacing the fuse in case it was just a faulty fuse. Then when it blew again, they knew there was a deeper problem and are now investigating. Bad fuses do happen, regularly.

Take a breath, this is the right order of investigation, lol.
Process is just so painfully slow 😅

Process is just so painfully slow 😅
Think about it this way; if the problem was ONLY the fuse as is more common, replacing it first would lead to a quicker return! Its a shame it didnt go like that for you, but the system does have its benefits.

Was doing 80 on the highway and then heard a thunk sound, all screens went black, lost all power which was pretty wild tbh. So I pulled over to the left as the systems rebooted and took an off ramp. Drive system failure. The whole turtle mode thing also came on so I thought I’d be able to drive slowly to a safer spot, no dice. So I ended up being that asshole that has no hazards on blocking one of the lanes. View attachment 18078

Was prettty freaky, especially with my 11 year old in the car with me. Ended up taking almost two hours to get a tow truck there. Since I’m in Salt Lake they want to ship it to Colorado to diagnose.

Car has less than 1200 miles on it, I’ve had it for almost 3 days. Love the car, but this is a huge bummer.

View attachment 18079
View attachment 18080
Glad you're okay.
I'm also in Salt Lake, weather has been crap lately and people more so during rush hour and the dark. Wonder if it was something on the road? Can't wait for dash cams!

Makes sense to me ... if breaker in my panel kept tripping, I'd change it out first. If new breaker did the same, then it's time for a deep dive.

Glad you're okay.
I'm also in Salt Lake, weather has been crap lately and people more so during rush hour and the dark. Wonder if it was something on the road? Can't wait for dash cams!
Hadn’t considered it could be something in the road

Think about it this way; if the problem was ONLY the fuse as is more common, replacing it first would lead to a quicker return! Its a shame it didnt go like that for you, but the system does have its benefits.
Good point!

If there were ever two words NOT meant to be put together regarding this car..it would be “lazy” and “engineering”

If there were ever two words NOT meant to be put together regarding this car..it would be “lazy” and “engineering”
I should have been more specific. I’m referring to the way I initially thought they were looking at what was wrong with the car. I love the car, it’s above and beyond the model S I had before. I’m just chafed at it being broken since Feb 1st.

Alright guys! Car is done, I'm going to fly out to Denver tomorrow to pick it up and do a little roadtrip back. Wish me luck! I'll update this post with what they replaced for any of you that are curious.

Alright guys! Car is done, I'm going to fly out to Denver tomorrow to pick it up and do a little roadtrip back. Wish me luck! I'll update this post with what they replaced for any of you that are curious.
Enjoy the drive! Should be wonderful weather and I70 is very pretty through that stretch. Looks like the EA in Green River is working okay, so you hopefully shouldn't have any charging issues.

The whole turtle mode thing also came on so I thought I’d be able to drive slowly to a safer spot, no dice. So I ended up being that asshole that has no hazards on blocking one of the lanes.
Omg how scary!!!! What happened? I mean did it slow down super fast or slow since no power? Was there a lot of traffic — like someone right behind you?
I think I have a new fear! #Turtlephobia

I should say: I was a lithium chemist and did some work on the dendrite problem with the batteries. I've seen (and started) a lot of lithium fires.
We'd call the local fire company over and show them what to do if we ever had a lithium fire at our pilot plant. We'd take a small piece of lithium metal and put it on a 1/4 " stainless steel plate, on the concrete in the parking lot. We'd let the firemen try everything they had to put it out. Most things (water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, etc) just made it worse. Then we'd show them how Metal X works.

The next day I went out to clean up the mess. I gently brushed off the Metal X powder. The remaining lithium metal re-ignited in a few minutes. When that finally went out, I found it had burned through the stainless steel and made a hole in the concrete.

However...if properly made, lithium batteries are safe.

I bought a Lucid and keep it in the garage under my bedroom.

I would not park a Chinese EV anywhere near my house.
How do the fire fighters put it out if it’s huge???? Like a whole building full of them

I feel like all previous maintenance should be 100% available.
I agree but to the best of my knowledge, all car companies treat it as proprietary information belonging to the original owner. But what companies could do, and again to the best of my knowledge don't do, is reach out to the prior owner and ask if it is okay to release the data.

Back