My Lucid Oof’d it today

It's worth noting that Lucid's 8-year / 100,000-mile warranty covers the powertrain (including drive units) as well as the battery pack.
true most of us won’t be at that point for a while…

Something similar happened to our Lucid last August, except that after the car rebooted I was able to limp the last few miles home on side roads. The HV battery pack and the rear drive unit were replaced.

Oddly enough, the same thing happened to our 2015 Model S P90D resulting in the same parts being replaced. In that case, the cause was a weld break in the battery pack. I never found out what caused the Lucid failure.
Proving, as I’ve always suspected, it’s YOU! 🤣

Was doing 80 on the highway and then heard a thunk sound, all screens went black, lost all power which was pretty wild tbh. So I pulled over to the left as the systems rebooted and took an off ramp. Drive system failure. The whole turtle mode thing also came on so I thought I’d be able to drive slowly to a safer spot, no dice. So I ended up being that asshole that has no hazards on blocking one of the lanes. View attachment 18078

Was prettty freaky, especially with my 11 year old in the car with me. Ended up taking almost two hours to get a tow truck there. Since I’m in Salt Lake they want to ship it to Colorado to diagnose.

Car has less than 1200 miles on it, I’ve had it for almost 3 days. Love the car, but this is a huge bummer.

View attachment 18079
View attachment 18080
Sorry to hear this, and also WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Had turtle mode on my car once but keeping fingers crossed that was the first and last time. Fortunately car never required a service center trip for that.

Well, means I have 7 years for them to figure it out!

I got the drive system fault too this weekend. Less inconvenient though since I was at the golf course. Maybe the gopher got me, or the gator…

Towed to service and got an enterprise rental. Probably gets looked at early next week after they dig out of their queue.

Nicest thing the local enterprise had was a q5.
Oof 😓 how many miles do you have on yours?

Lucid service tries but man they are disorganized. Car still hasn’t left the state. It was towed last Thursday and today is Monday. Driver is still in California and they just told me 29 minutes ago. It’s 3:50PM. I can tell these guys want to do a good job but there are broken systems and communication doesn’t seem to flow across their systems…

Lucid service tries but man they are disorganized. Car still hasn’t left the state. It was towed last Thursday and today is Monday. Driver is still in California and they just told me 29 minutes ago. It’s 3:50PM. I can tell these guys want to do a good job but there are broken systems and communication doesn’t seem to flow across their systems…
I’ve found that when Lucid directly manages the transport they’re super on top of it. When it’s outsourced to a 3rd party for transport not used to EVs or Lucid, confusion ensues. For any problem I’ve had they got me a loaner GT once they had them, sorry you’re stuck with the $100/day enterprise option. I had that before they got loaners, rented a model 3 and it made me appreciate the Lucid a lot more. Do you know when your car was built? Sorry this happened, I’m just wondering if this an ongoing rare issue that includes newer built vehicles or if it’s from inventory vehicles they sold that weren’t necessary built recently. 25K miles on my GT that was built March 2022, no drive system failures 🤷‍♂️.

I’ve found that when Lucid directly manages the transport they’re super on top of it. When it’s outsourced to a 3rd party for transport not used to EVs or Lucid, confusion ensues. For any problem I’ve had they got me a loaner GT once they had them, sorry you’re stuck with the $100/day enterprise option. I had that before they got loaners, rented a model 3 and it made me appreciate the Lucid a lot more. Do you know when your car was built? Sorry this happened, I’m just wondering if this an ongoing rare issue that includes newer built vehicles or if it’s from inventory vehicles they sold that weren’t necessary built recently. 25K miles on my GT that was built March 2022, no drive system failures 🤷‍♂️.
Man that's awesome on the 25k miles. Mine was a 23 build, March/April I think. I may circle back and do the rental since I'm in the process of selling my Model S. It really could be an earlier one, but Lucid told me they don't get into prior owner information. I will see if I can get more data out of when it was built when I eventually get it back. Love driving it and want it back so delays of 24/48 hours really suck. But i do get it on the 3rd party shipper and they are trying to get a covered transport which is more expensive. I'm just at the point where I just want them to drive it the 500 miles to the satellite service center already.

Man that's awesome on the 25k miles. Mine was a 23 build, March/April I think. I may circle back and do the rental since I'm in the process of selling my Model S. It really could be an earlier one, but Lucid told me they don't get into prior owner information. I will see if I can get more data out of when it was built when I eventually get it back. Love driving it and want it back so delays of 24/48 hours really suck. But i do get it on the 3rd party shipper and they are trying to get a covered transport which is more expensive. I'm just at the point where I just want them to drive it the 500 miles to the satellite service center already.
It will say on the inside drivers door sticker when it was built once you’re able to take a look.

Lucid got back to me today. It seems like a fuse blew, I missed the name of the fuse, or the service engineer didn't mention it. Doing some research, I guess Tesla has a pyro fuse that blows and creates a popping or bang sound. They ordered a replacement and will be letting me know if they find anything else as they disassemble the vehicle. Has anyone out there have had a similar issue with a fuse blowing or going bad? If so, was there anything else that was affected by its failure?

So they replaced the Pyro fuse, and boom car fails during validation testing. Same error, no word on if there was a pop sound like before. They have to go back to diagnostics again :mad:.

So they replaced the Pyro fuse, and boom car fails during validation testing. Same error, no word on if there was a pop sound like before. They have to go back to diagnostics again :mad:.
Sorry to hear this, I hope they get the real problem identified soon.

So they only replaced a blown fuse - a device that's entire purpose is a failsafe in case of another failure that would cause too much current - without trying to figure out why the fuse blew and fix that??? 🤦‍♂️

So they only replaced a blown fuse - a device that's entire purpose is a failsafe in case of another failure that would cause too much current - without trying to figure out why the fuse blew and fix that??? 🤦‍♂️
Chill... the first step is replacing the fuse in case it was just a faulty fuse. Then when it blew again, they knew there was a deeper problem and are now investigating. Bad fuses do happen, regularly.

Take a breath, this is the right order of investigation, lol.

replace a blown fuse without investigating why

1708131582091.jpeg

auto ignition temperature of lithium metal ~ 360 degrees
temperature of lithium metal fire ~ 2000 degrees ( china syndrome temps )

melting point of aluminum ~ 660 degrees
melting point of steel ~ 1450 degrees

If you see an EV burning, the reaction will go to completion until all the lithium is converted ... run away and remember this:

hold your camera horizontally so you don't look stupid when the video makes the news.

Last edited:
I should say: I was a lithium chemist and did some work on the dendrite problem with the batteries. I've seen (and started) a lot of lithium fires.
We'd call the local fire company over and show them what to do if we ever had a lithium fire at our pilot plant. We'd take a small piece of lithium metal and put it on a 1/4 " stainless steel plate, on the concrete in the parking lot. We'd let the firemen try everything they had to put it out. Most things (water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, etc) just made it worse. Then we'd show them how Metal X works.

The next day I went out to clean up the mess. I gently brushed off the Metal X powder. The remaining lithium metal re-ignited in a few minutes. When that finally went out, I found it had burned through the stainless steel and made a hole in the concrete.

However...if properly made, lithium batteries are safe.

I bought a Lucid and keep it in the garage under my bedroom.

I would not park a Chinese EV anywhere near my house.

Last edited:
I should say: I was a lithium chemist and did some work on the dendrite problem with the batteries. I've seen (and started) a lot of lithium fires.

I bought a Lucid and keep it in the garage under my bedroom.

I would not park a Chinese EV anywhere near my house.
That's a good endorsement!

Back